Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2027 RWC bids

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 12:57

Do you ever wonder why European clubs don't trust World Rugby?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 05 Nov 2019, 13:00

But if you scrap July 2028 it is to allow clubs to extend tge season.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sat, 09 Nov 2019, 09:36

The staff at BBC have obviously been reading this forum, as this article basically echoes the comments made here about the alleged (TBC) plans to announce the 2027 and 2031 hosts at the same time.

USA Set to host 2031, Australia leads race for 2027: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/5 ... hvpZK629aA

I actually think SA will get it if they bid again, given the Springboks' success this year and the progress made with integration. But it's a democratic process and I've been wrong on practically every previous occasion this century!

My latest for the Roar: Collective Failure of the 6 Nations: https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/11/09/c ... ts-section

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 16:48

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... australia/

Argentina withdrew from 2027 and support Australia.

Argentina's best chances would be 2031 if they host the 2030 FIFA WC. However, I doubt they'll win. FIFA is experiencing a power shift and there are big chances of 2030 going to UK (IMO).

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Fri, 17 Apr 2020, 16:38

Someone mentioned that the fallout from Covid-19 could be so severe that we could see RWC 2023, 2025 and 2027 to make up for lost revenues. Without the lengthy qualification of FIFA WC it could be possible. If that is the case 2025 being in UK to maximise income would be highly likely.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 03:19

You kinda have to wander whether this will accelerate expansion.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Duke of Earl » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 05:04

jservuk wrote:Someone mentioned that the fallout from Covid-19 could be so severe that we could see RWC 2023, 2025 and 2027 to make up for lost revenues. Without the lengthy qualification of FIFA WC it could be possible. If that is the case 2025 being in UK to maximise income would be highly likely.

Would be interested to seee who made those comments. Its an idea out of left field , but for global rugby its not the worst idea to happen. Am sure the 4 home nations could pull together now to host a 2025 tournament.

The one good thing about this idea from my perspective , is that it would be at the expense of the Lions tour which in my opinion is out of date and only serves to raise finance for a few countries. Better to have a 2025 which could raise finance for a wider range of countries and then in 2029 put in place regional competions to be held every 4 years , for example a European Championship.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 07:57

too bad, I hoped Argentina will win this race.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 09:26

Duke of Earl wrote:
jservuk wrote:Someone mentioned that the fallout from Covid-19 could be so severe that we could see RWC 2023, 2025 and 2027 to make up for lost revenues. Without the lengthy qualification of FIFA WC it could be possible. If that is the case 2025 being in UK to maximise income would be highly likely.

Would be interested to seee who made those comments. Its an idea out of left field , but for global rugby its not the worst idea to happen. Am sure the 4 home nations could pull together now to host a 2025 tournament.

The one good thing about this idea from my perspective , is that it would be at the expense of the Lions tour which in my opinion is out of date and only serves to raise finance for a few countries. Better to have a 2025 which could raise finance for a wider range of countries and then in 2029 put in place regional competions to be held every 4 years , for example a European Championship.

It doesn't have to be at the expense of the Lions Tour. The Lions tour could just be moved to the year before.
I think the annual season needs to have room for a big tournament or tour every year. But a full World Cup is very long and disruptive. To make it a bit shorter and to not devalue the RWC I would prefer to see a 16 World Rugby Challenge, with teams selected by invitation, or play offs. Tier 1 teams plus Japan, Fiji, Georgia, and playoffs between USA/Uruguay, Tonga/Samoa, Namibia/REC runner up.

2023 RWC France
2024 Lions tour Australia
2025 World Rugby Challenge Britain and Ireland
2026 Club Rugby World Cup South Africa
2027 RWC Australia

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 11:53

victorsra wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2020/04/16/agustin-pichot-announces-argentina-will-step-aside-australia/

Argentina's best chances would be 2031 if they host the 2030 FIFA WC. However, I doubt they'll win. FIFA is experiencing a power shift and there are big chances of 2030 going to UK (IMO).

“We discussed it with Australia and we thought that it was not good for us to compete against our partner,” said Pichot

Sorry but who is Pichot? He discusses in the name of Argentina the bid for the World Cup (and decide to let the bid to the "partner" Australia, the day after Australia announced that they will support him on WR presidency race); he is World Rugby vice-president; he is Rugby Americas president; he is member of the Major League board.
Is he a sort of south american Rasputin, a factotum with an hand in every affair?
As far as I read he is not part of UAR council: why he, vice president of World Rugby, discussed a bid in the name of Argentina, and let the bid to a nation that has just announced to support him?
Welcome to the clean and fair-playing world of rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 12:12

A new reason to dislike him but yeah, this is the sensations, he is moving partisan between nations, favor certain candidates in some nations and so on.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 12:24

Apart from his obvious weight in UAR, he's Argentina's representative at World Rugby Council and SANZAAR board, therefore an UAR official and Australia's business partner.

That said, Argentina hasn't retired its bid to favor Australia. It's selling it did to remind Australia should remain on his side whatever bailout Beaumont-governed WR offers to Rugby Australia, but we all know that bid was dead months ago.

amz wrote:A new reason to dislike him but yeah, this is the sensations, he is moving partisan between nations, favor certain candidates in some nations and so on.

Which is basically what blazers have always done. I don't mind Pichot doing that, I mind Pichot doing that while selling he's absolutely different and groundbreaking. He's one of them, with a different accent and less grey hair, but one of them. And I favor him in these elections because he's better than Beaumont from T2 perspective, but that shouldn't spare him of deserved criticism.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 14:34

Canalina wrote:
victorsra wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2020/04/16/agustin-pichot-announces-argentina-will-step-aside-australia/

“We discussed it with Australia and we thought that it was not good for us to compete against our partner,” said Pichot

Sorry but who is Pichot? He discusses in the name of Argentina the bid for the World Cup (and decide to let the bid to the "partner" Australia, the day after Australia announced that they will support him on WR presidency race); he is World Rugby vice-president; he is Rugby Americas president; he is member of the Major League board.
Is he a sort of south american Rasputin, a factotum with an hand in every affair?
As far as I read he is not part of UAR council: why he, vice president of World Rugby, discussed a bid in the name of Argentina, and let the bid to a nation that has just announced to support him?
Welcome to the clean and fair-playing world of rugby

No he is not. He was previously on the USAR Board, which was a seat held by WR for oversight since they bailed us out from RWC 7s (An event that has only given the hosts massive losses previously). He however left the USAR board in January and WR has not submitted any nominations to fill that seat.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 14:59

I didn't want to write a not true news; I think to have read here in the forum that he was one of the men managing the future of the Major League so I thought it was in the board

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 16:25

Canalina wrote:I didn't want to write a not true news; I think to have read here in the forum that he was one of the men managing the future of the Major League so I thought it was in the board

Never has been a part of the process. They've obviously had numerous conversations since he is President of Americas Rugby, giving MLR resources like WR funded coaching development. But they've done that in South America for SLAR as well. The only people on the board for MLR are its club owners and he is not an owner.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 20:24

Apart from his obvious weight in UAR, he's Argentina's representative at World Rugby Council and SANZAAR board

Yes, I thought everybody here knew, but Pichot is one of the 3 representatives of Argentina in the World Rugby Council.... remember the vice chairman of the WR must be one member of the Council. Therefore, he does speak in behalf of the Argentina Rugby Union (UAR)... Argentina is represented by Agustín Pichot, Marcelo Rodriguez (current UAR president) and Sol Iglesias (If I 'm not wrong, she is UAR's CEO, and women's representative) = 3 votes.

That's why in the WR website Argentina has just two representatives listed, because of (Pichot) was "promoted" to the vice charman position - and that's why there is (Argentina) after his name: https://www.world.rugby/organisation/structure/council

In the other hand, the WR chairman is independent (that's why Beaumont is not marked as England there). See WR constitution: https://www.world.rugby/handbook/bye-laws/bye-law-9

(and I believe that's why Laporte is running for vice chairman, as he is FFR's president and one of its representatives in the Council... if he wanted to be chairman he'd need to give up from FFR I guess...)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 05:27

But we may say that it was at least inopportune that a candidate for the WR presidency discussed the question* and decided to give up his nation's bid in favor of an other nation (it's not an arbitrary deduction, pichot himself said it), a nation defined "partner", the day after that same partner nation announced to second pichot in the run to WR presidency

* UAR has not a president? It seems that all the international questions are decided by Pichot

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 14:21

Yes, it is not the proper moment for him to say such things and shows what we all know, he is a businessman, like Laporte is. However, Argentina is definitely not giving up because of Pichot. They have zero conditions to host it. Their economy is in a bad situation and their government will back their 2030 FIFA WC bid. It is obviously impossible to be ready for 2027 when works would be going on for 2030. I said too many times here 2031 is more logical for Argentina.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 14:38

It is a bid with Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile.

Although I dont believe FIFA will elect their bid.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby Pedro1 » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 16:00

I don't understand the outrage regarding this quid pro quo with Australia. Do you guys think unions support each other just to be nice? Of course there is a level of diplomacy involved in certain cases, but at the end of the day it always comes down to "what do I get from this?"

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 17:18

Another important point is the misconception of RWC hosts rotation. I don't see any logic about a rotation North-South.This is anachronic. North-South was a logic split when winter-summer was the most important question.

In the era of broadcasts and global audiences, what realy matters is the East-West rotation, time zones.

It makes sense to rotate East (Asia-Oceania) and West (Europe-Africa). The Americas are the question here. They are more favorable to the Western audiences, but they can produce matches in too late hours in Europe/Africa and horrible morning hours in the East, specialy NA's West Coast...

With this, Australia is a logical choice for 2027, specialy when you think about rising Japanese audiences.

2023 - France
2027 - Australia
2031 - Argentina or USA
2035 - Italy-Spain?
2039 - Asia again
2043 - Argentina or USA
2047 - back to UK? Eastern Europe?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 17:48

Pedro1 wrote:I don't understand the outrage regarding this quid pro quo with Australia. Do you guys think unions support each other just to be nice? Of course there is a level of diplomacy involved in certain cases, but at the end of the day it always comes down to "what do I get from this?"

The point is exactly this, at my eyes: if Beaumont or Laporte makes an exchange of favors with some federation, that's the proof that they are just old sharks, mere bandits; if Pichot makes the same thing, come on guys, it's the way the World goes, don't be naives, there's nothing bad in it! :|

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 18:09

You are misreading everything, Canalina. People here are only concerned about the fact Beaumont has NOTHING for T2 and you haven't shown us he does have.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 18:23

Canalina wrote:
Pedro1 wrote:I don't understand the outrage regarding this quid pro quo with Australia. Do you guys think unions support each other just to be nice? Of course there is a level of diplomacy involved in certain cases, but at the end of the day it always comes down to "what do I get from this?"

The point is exactly this, at my eyes: if Beaumont or Laporte makes an exchange of favors with some federation, that's the proof that they are just old sharks, mere bandits; if Pichot makes the same thing, come on guys, it's the way the World goes, don't be naives, there's nothing bad in it! :|

Of course Pichot is a blazer and a hypocrite, and that's why I insist that he deserves criticism... But if both are and one offers better prospects to Tier 2 it's crystal clear why most here support Pichot.

As Victor says, I fear Pichot flaws make you forget Beaumont isn't offering anything new. A Nations Championship only with Tier 2 makes things worse. Promising Samoa they will be able to recap All Blacks is a quick fix for a much bigger problem. Women's rugby has grown, sure... But it was in many aspects driven by grassroots with World Rugby arriving late to many crucial decisions. Remember the bad look of promoting Super Series only to host it at a training ground. Let's not forget two decent sides will be out of 2021 RWC, which will imply even less games for those outside the elite...

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 18:32

Canalina wrote:

This is political play at work by both sides, both are saying is not personal. but the fact it is. It has been bitter and mud thrown by both sides through proxies. Canalina is right. I have heard podcasts on both sides making promises.

Whomever gets elected will rule for 4 years. Pichot brings an unknown quantity and before people saying about Canada and the sevens that was before he was VP it's ancient history so is his posting to the USA Board it doesn't matter.

The fight is now and what people remember is the last 6 months, you are only good as your last fight. the question that matter will either Candidate keep all the promises they make once in the hot seat?

victorsra wrote:You are misreading everything, Canalina. People here are only concerned about the fact Beaumont has NOTHING for T2 and you haven't shown us he does have.

You are right Beaumont is establishment and what you see is what you get and people know his shortcomings. However will Pichot deliver everything that he promises or will he feathered his own nest back in BA?

T2 be very careful who they choose come April the 26th

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum