Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2027 RWC bids

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 04:54

Sorry, not realistic. Maybe Spain apart, no other T2 has any conditions of doing this. Russia and USA already have professional leagues, for exemple. USA has a sizeable rugby community and Russia is suggesting to have money. And period. Nobody else can lucidly have ambitions of this kind.

Posts: 2392
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 08:57

victorsra wrote:Now Russia confrmed it is bidding for 2031 too. Now it makes much more sense. https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... -2027-2031

They can have a strong case for 2031. Once more, it will depend on how much they invest in their domestic rugby, how much money they want to put in the bid and which sort of political presence they'll have inside World Rugby.

It woud be interesting to see Russia vs USA bids for 2031. It will be a battle of future visions for WR.


Politically the RWC is symbolic, but financially small potatoes to win. Getting a USA v Russia bidding war does give both sides a pretty good narrative to sell to their govts for funding "don't let the others get a cheap win!".

Posts: 5944
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 09:19

victorsra wrote:Sorry, not realistic. Maybe Spain apart, no other T2 has any conditions of doing this. Russia and USA already have professional leagues, for exemple. USA has a sizeable rugby community and Russia is suggesting to have money. And period. Nobody else can lucidly have ambitions of this kind.


Which is why I literally wrote this:

"Hosting the world cup would obviously be a big motivator, but that's not always going to be a convenient means to foster competition. So, perhaps the path to development is something to generate competition between the lower ranked nations."

User avatar
Posts: 6205
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Canalina » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 13:22

I still think (personal opinion, of course) that a nation like russia shouldn't be awarded with a such important and ideal event like the Rugby World Cup. When they will stop to kill people around the world with hitmen, like mafia, to persecute the internal government opponents and to grow up fanatic nationalist robots, like the two participants to this forum, maybe the bid could be taken into consideration

https://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2020/1 ... 269246423/

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 13:31

thatrugbyguy wrote:
victorsra wrote:Sorry, not realistic. Maybe Spain apart, no other T2 has any conditions of doing this. Russia and USA already have professional leagues, for exemple. USA has a sizeable rugby community and Russia is suggesting to have money. And period. Nobody else can lucidly have ambitions of this kind.


Which is why I literally wrote this:

"Hosting the world cup would obviously be a big motivator, but that's not always going to be a convenient means to foster competition. So, perhaps the path to development is something to generate competition between the lower ranked nations."


Some competition yes, but T2s aren't with arms crossed...
Last edited by victorsra on Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 13:39, edited 2 times in total.

Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 16:02
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby STMKY » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 13:32

Catalina, are you an idiot? I will not answer the nonsense from your article. You better tell me how much Italy and other NATO countries have killed people in Libya, Iraq, Yugostavia and around the world? Who will save you from migrants when they start cutting you? You come running to us, ask the Russians to save you. And after all this nonsense, we will think for a very long time about your salvation.

User avatar
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 13:36

We cannot be corrected. Many people tried to do this, Hitler and Mussolini for example.
One thing makes me happy that you are not a World Rugby functionary. :D
Image

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 13:37

STMKY wrote:Catalina, are you an idiot?

Are YOU asking people this? :lol:

User avatar
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 13:56



Сourt fined her and he burned herself. Its okay, everyone does it ...There are a lot of crazy people.
In Israel for example

https://news.yahoo.com/israeli-proteste ... 36350.html

In Korea

https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/idorn?now=true

in Greece

Image

it is Germany, Austria or Switzerland.

Image



But in Europe Russia has nothing to do, it is necessary to end any cooperation. Here agree.
Image

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 14:04

sk 88 wrote:
victorsra wrote:Now Russia confrmed it is bidding for 2031 too. Now it makes much more sense. https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... -2027-2031

They can have a strong case for 2031. Once more, it will depend on how much they invest in their domestic rugby, how much money they want to put in the bid and which sort of political presence they'll have inside World Rugby.

It woud be interesting to see Russia vs USA bids for 2031. It will be a battle of future visions for WR.


Politically the RWC is symbolic, but financially small potatoes to win. Getting a USA v Russia bidding war does give both sides a pretty good narrative to sell to their govts for funding "don't let the others get a cheap win!".


The RWC is in an odd position. It wants to tell the world it is huge, but it still has amateur players involved and it is talking about having a host in two countries where rugby still very far from the vast majority of local public and national media, that barely covers rugby. I don't know a case of a major sport that needed a real revolution in order to host such kind of event. Bidding to host a World Championship is usualy a consequence of the sport being important in your country. And that's not the case for USA or Russia.

User avatar
Posts: 5920
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 14:15

US is also not suitable. They like Russia are trying to poison their political opponents! :lol:


https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/12 ... -documents
Image

Posts: 590
Joined: Sun, 06 Dec 2015, 06:42
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 15:27

Argentina, South Africa, Italy would be better picks for 2031 and all three of these countries are more deserving than the US and Russia. I just hope one of them put a bid together. Personally Japan should put in another bid for 2031, France had a very fast turnaround from 2007 so World Rugby should let japan have it again and reach further into the asian market.

Posts: 4512
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 16:00

If World Rugby wants bids from outside the usual suspects it will have to lower the 100 million guarantee.

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Oct 2020, 18:59

That's key...

Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Bogdan_DC » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 06:41

Russia is in with a real chance for 2031. You must be blind not to see all their investing in rugby.

Posts: 1413
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 14:37

USA and Russia can build a real rivalry around this rugby space race. A game between champions of the Russian Premier League and MLR would be good way to promote their professional leagues and top professional teams.

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 16:22

Bogdan_DC wrote:Russia is in with a real chance for 2031. You must be blind not to see all their investing in rugby.

They are investing, but hold on. We are yet to see basicaly everything. Their league is not like MLR or Japan's Top League (not attracting major T1 players), their national team is not impressing with big event and what about local media, is anyone talking about the Bears or their league in sports media? Only time will prove anything.

Again, I say it is realy realy odd that rugby is considering a World Cup in two countries (USA and Russia) where rugby is irrelevant in a national perspective. Too much a niche sport in both places. Both will need to prove A LOT in the next years (I'm not saying they won't be able to prove, I'm saying they have a lot to prove... MUCH more than Japan had when elected as 2019 venue).

Posts: 1413
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 16:51

victorsra wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:Russia is in with a real chance for 2031. You must be blind not to see all their investing in rugby.

They are investing, but hold on. We are yet to see basicaly everything. Their league is not like MLR or Japan's Top League (not attracting major T1 players), their national team is not impressing with big event and what about local media, is anyone talking about the Bears or their league in sports media? Only time will prove anything.

Again, I say it is realy realy odd that rugby is considering a World Cup in two countries (USA and Russia) where rugby is irrelevant in a national perspective. Too much a niche sport in both places. Both will need to prove A LOT in the next years (I'm not saying they won't be able to prove, I'm saying they have a lot to prove... MUCH more than Japan had when elected as 2019 venue).


I don't think rugby is as irrelevant in those countries as you are claiming. In USA the major team sports are NFL, baseball, basketball, ice hockey and soccer. In Russia they are soccer, ice hockey, basketball and volleyball. But in both countries rugby is at the top of the second tier of team sports. It would be like Great Britain hosting an Ice Hockey or a Basketball World Championship, except that they already have the stadiums. An ice hockey or basketball world championship in Britain would be very popular if the government and media got behind it, if we had enough indoor arenas (which we don't). My point is, a world cup doesn't need to be in your national sport. If that sport is already being played in a professional league, the sport is popular enough to host a world cup.

Posts: 4512
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 16:59

Actually London hosted a Euroleague Final Four not so long ago and it was a bit of a disaster. But it's true basketball has never been too afraid of testing new countries, we've had FIBA World Cups and Eurobaskets in quite a few bizarre hosting nations.

Posts: 1413
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 17:27

Armchair Fan wrote:Actually London hosted a Euroleague Final Four not so long ago and it was a bit of a disaster. But it's true basketball has never been too afraid of testing new countries, we've had FIBA World Cups and Eurobaskets in quite a few bizarre hosting nations.


Please accept my apologies. We will do better next time. Marketing for basketball in the UK is pathetic. I think there could be a conspiracy to keep soccer huge and basketball tiny in the UK. Look at the BBC Sport website basketball page and you would think basketball is played in the NBA and nowhere else on earth. Seriously please Armchair Fan have a look for yourself. No mention of Liga ACB or Euroleague, or even BBL. If the British media supported basketball it could be a fairly big sport in Britain in about a year.

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 17:36

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
victorsra wrote:
Bogdan_DC wrote:Russia is in with a real chance for 2031. You must be blind not to see all their investing in rugby.

They are investing, but hold on. We are yet to see basicaly everything. Their league is not like MLR or Japan's Top League (not attracting major T1 players), their national team is not impressing with big event and what about local media, is anyone talking about the Bears or their league in sports media? Only time will prove anything.

Again, I say it is realy realy odd that rugby is considering a World Cup in two countries (USA and Russia) where rugby is irrelevant in a national perspective. Too much a niche sport in both places. Both will need to prove A LOT in the next years (I'm not saying they won't be able to prove, I'm saying they have a lot to prove... MUCH more than Japan had when elected as 2019 venue).


I don't think rugby is as irrelevant in those countries as you are claiming. In USA the major team sports are NFL, baseball, basketball, ice hockey and soccer. In Russia they are soccer, ice hockey, basketball and volleyball. But in both countries rugby is at the top of the second tier of team sports. It would be like Great Britain hosting an Ice Hockey or a Basketball World Championship, except that they already have the stadiums. An ice hockey or basketball world championship in Britain would be very popular if the government and media got behind it, if we had enough indoor arenas (which we don't). My point is, a world cup doesn't need to be in your national sport. If that sport is already being played in a professional league, the sport is popular enough to host a world cup.


You are basicaly agreeing with me rugby is irrelevant. Look at how many sports are more popular than rugby. I'm not saying rugby doesn't exist :lol:

Do you want a very easy test to do? Enter a major news website of those countries. If the sport isn't in the main menu (if you can only find it in a sub menu, or in a "more sports" section) it is bascaly not realy important in the country. It doesn't mean it can't grow. It doesn't mean it can't be professional. It only means it is absolutely a minor sport, at least in a comercial/media perspective.

And that's the problem. Rugby can step up and realy gain new markets and that's why I'm saying it is in and odd challenging position. USA and Russia are not Japan. This is new, rugby wanting a host where a revolution will be needed.

Actually London hosted a Euroleague Final Four not so long ago and it was a bit of a disaster. But it's true basketball has never been too afraid of testing new countries, we've had FIBA World Cups and Eurobaskets in quite a few bizarre hosting nations.

Basketball is the only truly global team sport after soccer. And by truly global I mean massive around the world, in a diverse number of countries. Obivously other sports have popularity across the globe. But basketball is the one closer to soccer.

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 18:00

People can help, but about most watched (let's not mix with "most played") team sport (let's split from individual sports) in both countries:

- USA: American Football, Baseball, Basketball (not sure the right order, doesn't matter), Ice Hockey, Soccer, Lacrosse.... and then Rugby or Volleyball? (specialy College Volleyball, right?) Or roller derby and ultimate frisbee :lol:

- Russia: Soccer, Ice Hockey, Basketball, Bandy, Volleyball.. Futsal?.... and then Rugby or Handball? Maybe handball is bigger?

Very long road to gain attention. In Japan rugby was already third (behind baseball and soccer), maybe competing with basketball, but with a strong following.

Posts: 1413
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 18:06

Victor definitely handball is bigger. I forgot handball exists which is why I missed it from my earlier comment.

Posts: 8053
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby victorsra » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 18:12

Russia's national handball team was very good until the 2000s, but they are not doing well recently and their clubs don't win the European Champions League since Soviet times, for exemple. Not sure how strong it is with local public.

You forgot bandy too, which is a real thing, specialy in Siberia and Northern Russia.

Posts: 1413
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2027 RWC bids

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 09 Oct 2020, 19:14

8 professional team sports then. And Russia is a suitable host for a world cup or world championship in any one of those sports, but least of all rugby.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 15 guests