Canadian rugby

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 18:29

snapper37 wrote:
Canadaman wrote:
snapper37 wrote:
Canadaman wrote:Word on the street is that the 7s guys lost their appeal to BCLR. Now they have to either accept RC new terms or quit the game. Not really surprised about the decision and while I feel a bit of pity to the players, these same guys were not complaining when XVs was being cut for them. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

I understand why playing 7's is more attractive then 15's. Full stadiums, more success, travel the world and a greater national fan base. But they are showing that they are more about themselves then the National game. Kenya are adding a few of their 7"s players to their squad. Man up and play.

They let their egos get the best of them. Thought they were more important that what they actually are. Don't really feel sorry for them actually. Now situations like Jen Kish and Cameron Pierce, I do feel sorry for.

What situations are those?

retired due to injuries suffered while playing for club or country and being abandoned by them after the fact. Check out Jen Kish's twitter account for more detail. Her and Maria Samson went at it a bit over the weekend.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 20:14

I decided to collect the tweets, since Twitter is an awful format for conversations.

Jen Kish:

I retired from rugby cause of a hip injury I sustained playing. I need surgery. When I was in the program they moved mountains for me. Since I left the program I have received 0 support/follow up. FACT!

Their side. It's my responsibility to follow up & ask.

This needs 2 change!

FYI. I did follow up & ask. The response I got. radio silence. Now that I'm speaking out, I'm being offered all the support I should have been receiving the moment I left. This is bigger than me. Its about protecting the younger gen who go into the prog healthy & come out broken

Maria Samson:

The avenue to bring this up is through your players rep (me) - I get lots of input from current & retired players. If you have an issue, email me msamson@rugby.ca
If I'm useless, then get on twitter all you want, but give me a chance... I was voted in to handle these things.

Also, if there's any help that @gameplandematch can provide, they are a great resource. One of their partners, Morneau Shepell, is well equipped to help athletes through transition.

Cam Pierce:

Jen, you’ll find that you’re quickly forgotten unless you engage in private conversations yourself. I reached out to @MariaSamson5 and she’s been nothing but great! Thanks again Maria

Jen Kish: (quoting Maria's tweet)

So it can be kept a secret?

FYI: Ive had many RC players reach out to me since speaking out, who were also left broken & received 0 support/follow up since movin on due to injuries they sustained playing.

U have alot of work to do. #betterprotocols #protectus

I will burn as many bridges as it takes if it means something good will come out of it. With that being said, I've been heard, with the help of all of u. RC will have a protocol in place by Jan 2019.

Thanks for the support all ❤

Maria Samson:

Jen - Are you taking credit for a project that was already in motion? Discussions had months ago at the board, player committee, player and staff level, and that work is already progressing on?
A simple email to me would have confirmed all this was already in motion...

Jen Kish:

That's all it ever is. All talk, no action. It's been like that for yrs. Seems to be that things only get done when players air the dirty laundry.

Spend less time trolling me & put ur energy into making sure RC follows through on their 2019 January date

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 20:29

How is responding to her with information about a program "trolling her"?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 23:25

I've met Maria, she's a great person. But she's acting in her official capacity as a board member and I have to tell you...the player reps on the Canada board don't exactly rep the players that well or so it seems.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 23:42

Canadaman wrote:
snapper37 wrote:
Canadaman wrote:Word on the street is that the 7s guys lost their appeal to BCLR. Now they have to either accept RC new terms or quit the game. Not really surprised about the decision and while I feel a bit of pity to the players, these same guys were not complaining when XVs was being cut for them. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

I understand why playing 7's is more attractive then 15's. Full stadiums, more success, travel the world and a greater national fan base. But they are showing that they are more about themselves then the National game. Kenya are adding a few of their 7"s players to their squad. Man up and play.

They let their egos get the best of them. Thought they were more important that what they actually are. Don't really feel sorry for them actually. Now situations like Jen Kish and Cameron Pierce, I do feel sorry for.

You guys are pretty shitty to think that they let their egos get in the way of themselves. Canadian 7s contracts were previously worth $CDN 18k for the year with a max compensation of $CDN 23k provided the players were selected for the Vancouver leg. This isn't about egos, this just about being able to feed themselves.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 23:54

Nah, they have egos. They look at the crowd at Van 7s and think they are there to watch them play. The XVs guys are much more humble.

National Flag:
NauruNauru

Postby rufusbuck » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 01:55

Canadian_Rugger wrote:I will be honest TheStroBro, don't agree with you sometimes but I think you are dead on the money when you say a U23 League is a complete waste of time. I actually think the new Canadian Rugby Club Championship is a good initiative and should be expanded on. We need to strengthen the amateur club game, not invent leagues with no identity or soul. We have done that multiple times already and they have all failed. I personally loved going down to watch the 1st XV for my former club play, especially on big game days. My former club hosted a club day the past number of years and last year there were well over 1500 people there for the 1st's game. We had a full beer garden and canteen running and the club sold a lot of beer and made a lot of money.

I would love to see Canada embrace the Argentinian model of strong club competitions with regional and national championships held annually. We can then build a professional game layered on top of that with club affiliation as they do in Australia, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, etc.

There are over 50 clubs in Ontario that can feed the Arrows and contrary to what some have said, the players are there. The Fullback for the 1st XV of my former club was an All-Canadian Tight End for Queen's University Football and won a National Championship with them. He could have easily stepped up to the Professional game with proper coaching and a full time training environment but that pathway is not there so those players are lost to the system. He sells real estate now and I don't think he is going to put that career on hold to go live in Langford collecting McDonalds coupons. The players are there but there is no money and no incentive for the good players to drop out of careers which put bread on the table for the opportunity to play for peanuts in the National Program.

With this in mind, MLR is definitely the way forward. Pro14 could have worked five years ago had the Pro14 been willing to change their season to a summer season but they won't so the North American market won't be captured by them. TWP have shown that this model is feasible but Rugby Union is too conservative of a sport to ever attempt it. We also need to keep the National Union as far away from the pro game as possible as they will simply make a mess of it. They don't have the business savvy or organizational skills to have a go of it.

As soon as you had to go to emotional rubbish like "identity" and "soul", you let the cat out of the bag, and you clearly didn't really have a counter argument. Certainly there is no history of rivalries between, oh, say, the Island and Vancouver in BC, or Calgary and Edmonton in any sport. What a ludicrous idea to think that regional sub-union teams could ever generate meaningful competition. But in the real world, the level of competition at club is so low that even when Super League created what were essentially club all-star teams, the league couldn't produce a high enough level of competition to feed the national team, and certainly failed entirely as a development structure. The idea that club rugby in this country is competitive enough, or ever will be, to produce forty or fifty professionals for the NSMT, let alone the hundred plus needed for four pro teams is farcical. I had no idea that tight ends even existed in Canada anymore, but certainly playing an obsolete position in university football is indicative of enormous capacity for elite rugby, and proves clearly that club rugby is full of players who could play professionally at the drop of a hat. Why don't you pass on a list of these hidden gems to rugby Canada so that the NSMT can move beyond competing with Vatican City and Disneyland?
Last edited by rufusbuck on Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 02:27, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
NauruNauru

Postby rufusbuck » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 01:58

TheStroBro wrote:You guys are pretty shitty to think that they let their egos get in the way of themselves. Canadian 7s contracts were previously worth $CDN 18k for the year with a max compensation of $CDN 23k provided the players were selected for the Vancouver leg. This isn't about egos, this just about being able to feed themselves.

Charming, Fanboy. Nothing like an attack on someone's character because you don't like their opinion.

National Flag:
NauruNauru

Postby rufusbuck » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 01:59

TheStroBro wrote:I've met Maria, she's a great person. But she's acting in her official capacity as a board member and I have to tell you...the player reps on the Canada board don't exactly rep the players that well or so it seems.

Great story about meeting Maria, Bro. What are you saying, specifically, about her actions as a board member?

National Flag:
NauruNauru

Postby rufusbuck » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 02:20

TheStroBro wrote:
rufusbuck wrote:You have failed to refute a single thing I said. Is this an indictment of your critical thinking, or more your reading comprehension?

That AJ MacGinty had some dry rub put on him before he went onto the smoker is apparently incorrect? No, you're wrong. Otherwise he would have gone through the Leinster Academy and all would have been happily ever after rather than working as a bar tender in NYC struggling to play at NYAC when he first got there.

What top level country in the world has an amateur U23 competition as you describe? None. There is no incentive.

Complete gibberish. MacGinty was coaching at Life a year after going to the States. There is no incentive to play U23, for one's home union against regional rivals, however, you see lots of incentive for potential elite players to play club rugby? Derp on.

Canada has no professional competition, so any development league in Canada is going to be an amateur league. The incentive would be to play for the national team, which should have been in the top ten by now had rugby in Canada not been pissed away by World Rugby and Rugby Canada. There are thousands of U23 athletes in competition, in sports from swimmming to rowing to speedskating, in Canada who are not aspiring to play professionally. U Sport football has a thousand players, most of whom will never play professionally, and they don't seem to find incentive to be a problem. And unlike club rugby in Canada, U Sport football produces a couple of dozen pros every year. Canada could have had a national team at least on the level of Argentina by now if competition had been addressed here in the late nineties. I value club rugby a great deal, but in Canada it does not, and never will, produce a signficiant number of professional-grade players.

https://liferunningeagles.com/news/2013 ... path=murug

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 04:55

If you want a U23 league then go ahead and start one. Go get the support of the communities, clubs and unions and then go find the money from the donors to make this happen because nothing happens without cash. And then convince those U23 players to give up months if not years to this dream of yours. Keeping in mind they will not receive any real compensation for their blood and time and have limited professional opportunity because every top league has player quotas and Canadians fall outside more often than not because we just can’t compete with the multitude of SANZAAR trained players available for the limited spots.

But bud, it seems the majority of Canadians in this thread are tired of hearing about this weird obsession of yours so could you please just drop it. At least for a bit. It is literally never going to happen and anyone that matters is starting to look towards MLR as the North American pathway so maybe just embrace it instead of being so seemingly bitter and angry at the fact people are finally trying to get rugby on track here simply because it doesn’t fit your view.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 05:23

rufusbuck wrote:

Complete gibberish. MacGinty was coaching at Life a year after going to the States. There is no incentive to play U23, for one's home union against regional rivals, however, you see lots of incentive for potential elite players to play club rugby? Derp on.

https://liferunningeagles.com/news/2013 ... path=murug

How is it gibberish? MacGinty's first cap wasn't until 2015. His third year playing for the Post Graduate club program. So educate yourself.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Buffalo » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 14:40

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/1 ... tin-elite/
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/1 ... w-orleans/
http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/1 ... r-combine/

Canadian born, Kiwi trained brothers Travis and Josh Larsen have both signed on with Austin Elite while Kyle Baillie has landed with New Orleans. Nice to see more Canadians heading south on top of the Arrows joining. Also James Bay prop Liam Murray is headed to the MLR combine to show what he’s got. Don’t know much about him but hopefully he has a good showing. Apparently some of the centralized players were supposed to go down apparently but Repechage preparations have put that to a halt.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadaman » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 15:30

Wouldn't worry about the other guys not being their because of the repechage. If they play well during that and Canada does well, many of them will land MLR contracts.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 20:54

TheStroBro wrote:
Canadaman wrote:
snapper37 wrote:

You guys are pretty shitty to think that they let their egos get in the way of themselves. Canadian 7s contracts were previously worth $CDN 18k for the year with a max compensation of $CDN 23k provided the players were selected for the Vancouver leg. This isn't about egos, this just about being able to feed themselves.

The Ego is that they think they are TOO GOOD for 15's, no Canadian will make money in Canada so they ego isn't from that.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 21:12

Buffalo wrote:If you want a U23 league then go ahead and start one. Go get the support of the communities, clubs and unions and then go find the money from the donors to make this happen because nothing happens without cash. And then convince those U23 players to give up months if not years to this dream of yours. Keeping in mind they will not receive any real compensation for their blood and time and have limited professional opportunity because every top league has player quotas and Canadians fall outside more often than not because we just can’t compete with the multitude of SANZAAR trained players available for the limited spots.

But bud, it seems the majority of Canadians in this thread are tired of hearing about this weird obsession of yours so could you please just drop it. At least for a bit. It is literally never going to happen and anyone that matters is starting to look towards MLR as the North American pathway so maybe just embrace it instead of being so seemingly bitter and angry at the fact people are finally trying to get rugby on track here simply because it doesn’t fit your view.

I agree with him, a u23 league set up and run just like junior football would work, but it needs the provincial unions working with the sub unions to get it to. I envision a U23 (U21) league working and helping develop Canadian kids for possibly a shot at strengthening 1 possibly 2 MLR teams and then a national team, Club rugby doesn't have the depth of players to make anything meaningful.

Don't bother with the Universities are doing this already as not all kids go to University and the type of player we are needing nationally are blue collar mutts that take trades.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Rugga » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 21:48

What did Argentina do get to where they are now and what’s stopping Canada doing the same.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Rugga » Wed, 24 Oct 2018, 21:58

Could Canada not have something along these lines:

Argentina is divided into 24 provincial unions which all organise their own provincial club competitions. Since the 1990s, some provincial unions have started organising regional club competitions with neighbouring unions in order to raise the standards of rugby and make their clubs more competitive. An example of this is the Torneo del Litoral, which is organised by the unions of Rosario, Santa Fe and Entre Ríos.

Historically, club rugby in Argentina has been dominated by clubs from the powerful Unión de Rugby de Buenos Aires (URBA) and the URBA championship was seen as the strongest club competition in the country. In recent years however, clubs from outside Buenos Aires have closed the gap with URBA clubs. To reflect this the Nacional de Clubes was created in 1993. Originally the competition involved 16 clubs from all over the country but the formula was modified in 2009.

That year a new competition was created, the Torneo del Interior. This competition involves the best ranked clubs from all regional tournaments outside of Buenos Aires. With the creation of this tournament, the Nacional de Clubes was overhauled. From 2009 on, only 4 clubs qualify for the Nacional - instead of 16 - and the competitions starts directly at the semi-finals stage. The 4 clubs qualifying for the Nacional's semi-finals are the two finalists of both the Interior and URBA tournaments, with the URBA winner meeting the Interior runner-up and vice versa. The first winner of the new and improved Nacional de Clubes was Rosario's Duendes Rugby Club, who beat Buenos Aires' Hindú Club in the final.

Representative rugby
The Campeonato Argentino is contested by representative teams of the 24 unions that exist within the UAR. It is divided into two competitions, the 8-team Zona Campeonato and the 16-team Zona Ascenso. The winner of the Zona Ascenso earns a place in the following years' Zona Campeonato, replacing the last-placed team of the latter competition.

With all this being semi pro or amateur and have the arrows as Canada’s Jaguares slowly building up to 3 Mlr teams.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 25 Oct 2018, 02:07

For the moment, Canada still has Provincial Rugby in the CRC at Senior Level, they also have U19s for Boys and Girls for the CRC. But it has become an under/unfunded tournament for the national Union as far as I can tell. This was the first year of the Club National Championship, and if you read back through the thread it's felt that the CRC will wither to die.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 25 Oct 2018, 13:35

If any national u23 were to survive there would have to be strong provincial u23 competitions in place otherwise were just grabbing at air here. Not everyone will be willing to travel cross-country so you have to get as many clubs as possible for each province to get enough quality players for this competition. If only there was some sort of Canadian rugby championship that provincial u23 players could join in conjunction with their actual clubs like an all star team. Call me crazy but I think it could get made.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 25 Oct 2018, 15:59

Tobar wrote:If any national u23 were to survive there would have to be strong provincial u23 competitions in place otherwise were just grabbing at air here. Not everyone will be willing to travel cross-country so you have to get as many clubs as possible for each province to get enough quality players for this competition. If only there was some sort of Canadian rugby championship that provincial u23 players could join in conjunction with their actual clubs like an all star team. Call me crazy but I think it could get made.

The argument that not everyone will be willing to travel is nonsense, they do in junior Football and shit minor hockey. The idea is it should be run by the sub-unions and run on a west meets east for a final with the National body paying to host the final. Currently the CRC is a joke, its run over a weekend, giving no time for the coaches to actually coach other then manage personalities.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 25 Oct 2018, 16:14

snapper37 wrote:
Tobar wrote:If any national u23 were to survive there would have to be strong provincial u23 competitions in place otherwise were just grabbing at air here. Not everyone will be willing to travel cross-country so you have to get as many clubs as possible for each province to get enough quality players for this competition. If only there was some sort of Canadian rugby championship that provincial u23 players could join in conjunction with their actual clubs like an all star team. Call me crazy but I think it could get made.

The argument that not everyone will be willing to travel is nonsense, they do in junior Football and shit minor hockey. The idea is it should be run by the sub-unions and run on a west meets east for a final with the National body paying to host the final. Currently the CRC is a joke, its run over a weekend, giving no time for the coaches to actually coach other then manage personalities.

Obviously the guys travel from all across Ontario to play for the Blues. But his point is that you need a full U23 competition in each province to make it work unless you go by how Rufus wants it, without a tertiary goal of an MLR team to feed into because all of the overseas clubs are lining up for Canadian services right now... :roll: :lol:

The reason it works in Football is that it has existed in some form or other since 1908. Current form since 1974...the structures have been in place for a very long time...and that's why it won't work like Rufus wants, we're talking a decade's worth of investment...but you still need a pro-league to sit atop that for players to work towards. Also we run into the whole: how does a player feed themselves if they have to commit 20+ hours per week to this with no pay? University sport it's easy, outside of that it's kind of a meh. You say you need "blue collar" kids and not guys who go to Uni, that's dumb as shit though. You need the best athletes without regard to how well off they may have been raised.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 07:58

There was another nice piece on the evening news here in NZ about Evan Olmstead and his goal of getting a Super Rugby contract, I'm sure he's in with a chance and will know within the next month or so.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... tract.html

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 16:15

Team has been named....
https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/10/jones- ... r-november

Tyler Ardron – Chiefs/Ontario Blues (Lakefield, ON)
Kyle Baillie –Westshore RFC/Atlantic Rock (Summerside, PEI)
Noah Barker – James Bay AA/BC Bears (Courtenay, BC)
Ray Barkwill – Seattle Seawolves/Ontario Blues (Niagara Falls, ON)
Brett Beukeboom – Cornish Pirates/Ontario Blues (Lindsay, ON)
Nick Blevins – Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Hubert Buydens – NOLA Gold/Prairie Wolf Pack (Saskatoon, SK)
Luke Campbell – James Bay AA/BC Bears (Victoria, BC)
Paul Ciulini – Aurora Barbarians/Ontario Blues (Vaughan, ON)
Guiseppe du Toit – UVIC Vikes/BC Bears (Maple Ridge, BC)
Matt Evans – Cornish Pirates (Maple Bay, BC)
Doug Fraser – Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears (Ladysmith, BC)
Ciaran Hearn – London Irish/Atlantic Rock (Conception Bay South, NL)
Matt Heaton – Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock (Godmanchester, QC)
Eric Howard – NOLA Gold/Ontario Blues (Ottawa, ON)
Jake Ilnicki – Yorkshire Carnegie/BC Bears (Williams Lake, BC)
Cole Keith – James Bay AA/Atlantic Rock (Sussex, NB)
Josh Larsen – Otago (Parksville, BC)
Ben LeSage – UBC Thunderbirds/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Kainoa Lloyd – Mississauga Blues/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
Phil Mack – Seattle Seawolves/BC Bears (Victoria, BC)
Jamie Mackenzie – Balmy Beach/Atlantic Rock (Oakville, ON)
Gordon McRorie – Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Shane O’Leary – Nottingham Rugby (Cambleton, NB)
Evan Olmstead – Auckland/Prairie Wolf Pack (Vancouver, BC)
Pat Parfrey – Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock (St. John’s, NL)
Taylor Paris – Castres Olympique/Ontario Blues (Barrie, ON)
Lucas Rumball – Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
Theo Sauder – UBC Thunderbirds/BC Bears (Vancouver, BC)
Djustice Sears-Duru – Unattached/Ontario Blues (Oakville, ON)
Mike Sheppard – Stoney Creek Camels/Ontario Blues (Brampton, ON)
Matt Tierney – Pau/Ontario Blues (Oakville, ON)
Conor Trainor – USON Nevers/BC Bears (Vancouver, BC)
DTH van der Merwe – Glasgow Warriors (Victoria, BC)

Since the sevens guys have made themselves unavailable i consider them unemployed. We should move on from these guys and start developing the next set of guys.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby marvinparsons » Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 17:42

The absence of Braid, Coe, Cejanovic is shocking given the stakes. This has been mishandled so badly.

I'd guess the starting lineup will look like:

Tierney
Barkwill
Illnicki
Beukeboom
Larsen
Olmstead
Baillie
Ardron
Mack
O'Leary
Trainor
Hearn
DTH
Paris
Evans

The dropoff from this to the next tier is drastic in many instances. They desperately need a healthy lineup.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum