CanadaCanada

Re: Canadian rugby

Postby grande » Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:35

Can't believe RC voted for Beaumont...

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Tue, 05 May 2020, 02:54

grande wrote:Can't believe RC voted for Beaumont...

Given Canada's struggles I'm not sure that they benefit from a meritocracy. Same as Samoa.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 May 2020, 07:35

Blurandski wrote:

Given Canada's struggles I'm not sure that they benefit from a meritocracy. Same as Samoa.

So what could have convinced Canada to vote for BB?
Promise of tours?
Easier qualification pathway? Canada would have probably failed to qualify if not for the European eligibility problems. On the other hand qualifcation was just changed to the Americas 6N, so an easier path is maybe not even an option.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 05 May 2020, 08:50

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Blurandski wrote:

Promise of tours?
Easier qualification pathway? Canada would have probably failed to qualify if not for the European eligibility problems. On the other hand qualifcation was just changed to the Americas 6N, so an easier path is maybe not even an option.

Maybe he promised them a permanent place in the Nations League, so they don't have to play in that regional tournament with Cayman Islands and Trinidad and Tobago.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:22

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Blurandski wrote:

Promise of tours?

Not probably< There is no way in hell that Canada would have qualified. And there are serous worries about making the next one

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:26

I can. Rees, Jones and Palfrey are all Welsh and have a kinship with the old country. Pichot is the one that brought the 7's to Vancouver and pushed for the ARC yet we turned our back on him. I have NO love affair with RC at the moment and only follow local rugby.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 27 May 2020, 14:34

Macron are Canada’s new kit supplier - https://rugby.ca/en/news/2020/05/rugby- ... -agreement

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:27

sammo wrote:Macron are Canada’s new kit supplier - https://rugby.ca/en/news/2020/05/rugby- ... -agreement

Macron makes the jerseys for the Canadian Premier League (soccer). My 2019 Forge FC shirt was very nice, fit well, comfortable. I wasn't thrilled with the 2020 designs. Hopefully they do good work for RC.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 28 May 2020, 08:02

grande wrote:
sammo wrote:Macron are Canada’s new kit supplier - https://rugby.ca/en/news/2020/05/rugby- ... -agreement

Macron makes the jerseys for the Canadian Premier League (soccer). My 2019 Forge FC shirt was very nice, fit well, comfortable. I wasn't thrilled with the 2020 designs. Hopefully they do good work for RC.

We have their gear (actually apart from the shirts due to a long lasting relationsship to a shirt supplier) from them in our club. Good quality.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 01 Jun 2020, 17:33

RugbyLiebe wrote:
grande wrote:

We have their gear (actually apart from the shirts due to a long lasting relationsship to a shirt supplier) from them in our club. Good quality.

Doesn't matter what gear we wear, winning is the only thing important.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 05 Jun 2020, 01:07

Macron are good quality and unique. Canterbury being torn apart.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Thu, 11 Jun 2020, 01:50

Blurandski wrote:

Macron are good quality and unique. Canterbury being torn apart.

Don't care, I only care about winning.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 16:17

Toronto Wolfpack "withdraw" from 2020 Super League.

Claim they intend to play 2021 Super League. Not sure how that works as they should be relegated to Championship.
Edit: Sorry, they only "intend to field a team", don't mention the league so basically accept they are going down at best.

Personally sceptical that will happen.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 17:31

sk 88 wrote:Toronto Wolfpack "withdraw" from 2020 Super League.

Claim they intend to play 2021 Super League. Not sure how that works as they should be relegated to Championship.
Edit: Sorry, they only "intend to field a team", don't mention the league so basically accept they are going down at best.

Hopefully Canada will abandon that niche sport and focus on rugby union.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 17:32

Wonderfull news.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 17:39

Chester-Donnelly wrote:

There's no league presence in Canada. Like 4 teams in Ontario as part of the CRL competition. BC has its own competition, but that is filled with Union players that aren't playing 7s. Just like the US, AFL is 10x the size of League.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 18:26

TheStroBro wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:

There's no league presence in Canada. Like 4 teams in Ontario as part of the CRL competition. BC has its own competition, but that is filled with Union players that aren't playing 7s. Just like the US, AFL is 10x the size of League.

RFL gonna fire them as they are both far away and competitive.

They tried to do it with the catalan dragons in the challenge cup after their victory.

If they wanted to invest in Rugby League they had to do it at grassroot level in Canada or if they wanted to be pro in rugby union by creating another canadian MLR team

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 18:31

That's misleading... It makes no difference for Rugby Union if Toronto Wolfpack is there or not. It has always been up to Toronto Arrows and Rugby Canada to do their job. I don't believe there is a direct benefit for the Arrows, but Ontarians may tell me different. Maybe the only good effect is Lamport Stadium with more dates available, which can make no difference if other sports/events see an opportunity and work better than rugby.

Rugby Union must focus on itself instead of sticking to the mediocrity of cheering against another sport.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 18:39

victorsra wrote:That's misleading... It makes no difference for Rugby Union if Toronto Wolfpack is there or not. It has always been up to Toronto Arrows and Rugby Canada to do their job. I don't believe there is a direct benefit for the Arrows, but Ontarians may tell me different. Maybe the only good effect is Lamport Stadium with more dates available, which can make no difference if other sports/events see an opportunity and work better than rugby.

Rugby Union must focus on itself instead of sticking to the mediocrity of cheering against another sport.

I am too petty to not snigger at their demise

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 18:42

theDarky wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:

RFL gonna fire them as they are both far away and competitive.

They tried to do it with the catalan dragons in the challenge cup after their victory.

If they wanted to invest in Rugby League they had to do it at grassroot level in Canada or if they wanted to be pro in rugby union by creating another canadian MLR team

The guy that lead the Wolfpack project did what Union couldn't. I never understood how he was able to build something from zero, attract more public than Union and get money to hire a player like SBW. They had a difficult project that involved a big amount of transcontinental travel and long periods of away-from-home operation, with a sport with zero roots in their own market. It was bold and happened.

If Wolfpack's money was clean money, people should be inspired, not celebrating the end of it.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 18:54

victorsra wrote:The guy that lead the Wolfpack project did what Union couldn't. I never understood how he was able to build something from zero, attract more public than Union and get money to hire a player like SBW. They had a difficult project that involved a big amount of transcontinental travel and long periods of away-from-home operation, with a sport with zero roots in their own market. It was bold and happened.

If Wolfpack's money was clean money, people should be inspired, not celebrating the end of it.

The guy who own Wolfpack is an Aussie mining billionaire. For every home match they were organizing a craft beer festival and were throwing free tickets like confetti. The people there were there for the beer festival, the on the field activity was just to fill in the time. IIRC they lost 20 million CAD$ in their first three years.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 19:02

So, it makes no difference. But gives ideas of how to make a better event. And he proved it is possible to engage people

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 19:04

It makes me feel better about all the money I've wasted.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 19:20

There you are :lol:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 19:39

victorsra wrote:So, it makes no difference. But gives ideas of how to make a better event. And he proved it is possible to engage people

It does make a difference. Perhaps some folks who would have gone to support Arrows with paid tickets choose to go to Wolfpack with free tickets and that's enough for them. Yes, you can engage people if you have the money to burn. I mean, I know how to make a Brazilian rugby league that averages 50k... have a giant pop super star concert before and after every game and sell tickets dirt cheap... I just don't know how to make it make money. I also don't have the money to make it happen :)

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum