ItalyItaly

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby Canalina » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 08:13

mcruic wrote:
Canalina wrote:A possible un-radared test match
1971, Ivory Coast v Ghana 24-3
https://twitter.com/ApsmRugby/status/13 ... 7429734401
https://www.facebook.com/cotedivoirerug ... 9397239853

Rugbyinternational.net doesn't recorded it (first Ivory Coast game in 1976, first Ghana game in 2003), I can't find anymore Espn Statsguru and RugbyData disappeared long time ago...

Also, a Liberia v Sierra Leone match from 23.08.1969: Mostly expats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVWScuteF2s

One of these two could have been the first ever test match between two african nations (the one in Ivory Coast seems more "serious" than the one in Liberia) but Mauritius and Reunion played a series of six games between 1965 and 1969, according to rugbyinternational.net
Morocco started its test match history in 1931 but met the first african opponent, Tunisia, just in 1981.
South Africa has so far matched one other african nation, Namibia: in 2007 (105-13), 2011 (87-0) and 2019 (57-3)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 20:32

Canalina wrote:According to a page on facebook (Morocco Rugby News, or something similar) the suspension of moroccan federation has been protracted until the end of the year, due to the still defiant behavior of the local federation chairman ("Suspension? We don't need Rugby Africa and World Rugby", he would have said more or less).
This should mean they are out from Africa Cup and from the World Cup.
The current Morocco Federation chairman is brother of the last one, in his turn repeatedly sanctioned by Rugby Africa

It is impressive how Moroccan rugby was destroyed in the past 10 years (at least its national team, as I don't know much about their clubs)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 03 Mar 2021, 10:39

Morocco got awfully close to qualifying for RWC back in 2003. One of the biggest missed opportunities given the number of eligible players in France.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Zimbabwe

Postby IanCleverly » Sun, 07 Mar 2021, 15:21

From a "Let's get Zimbabwe to RWC2023" dinner event held in late January, the montly-ish newsletter the ZRFU gives out highlights these events:-

The launch also unveiled the Sables Rugby Network fundraising auction page where prospective buyers of the Sables paraphernalia can bid until the 15th of April 2021. Also on offer at the auction are luxury weekend getaways, private chef dinners, game drives, signed rugby shirts by former England Centre Brad Barritt, autographed memorabilia from Tendai’Beast’ Mtawarira among other items.

The launch also spoke into the plans and preparations for the new trajectory the Sables are taking and how these will manifest themselves in the next 18 months. The resonating and clarion call throughout the evening was the return to the successful retro sables ways in the modern day rugby game.
In line with the trajectory, the Sables Committee has been hard at work and barring the COVID-19 restrictions on travel and play, the Sables will play Namibia at a date yet to be confirmed by Namibia. After the Namibia matches which are pencilled as a Home and Away fixture, the Sables will have an
outgoing tour to Tunisia. Other tours are still being finalized. Jason Maritz the Sables manager said ‘The Sables plan on having a 6 week camp with all the squad players but the restrictions of travel due to COVID-19 have made things difficult.’ He said wider Sables squad has been established with the final squad to be announced in due course and for the possible tours the Sables will be taking their strongest possible team to Tunisia. Maritz further said the training camp will be held in Cape Town and if the COVID restrictions are relaxed and the Sables will have matches against the Springboks U20’s and they have also lined up as possible games against Boland and the Western Province.

From https://www.zimbabwerugbyunion.co.zw/20 ... D-dY6nd-bU

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 11 Apr 2021, 08:12

Kicking a conversion with the shoulders to the posts

https://twitter.com/ImpisRFC/status/1380957176466919427

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 08:33

Former french internaitonal Francis N'Tamack is the new head coach of Magadascar :thumbup:

Postby Raven » Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 14:06

vino_93 wrote:Former french internaitonal Francis N'Tamack is the new head coach of Magadascar :thumbup:

Brother of the "real international" who was his brother :D I think Francis was a 1 time international and if my memory serves me right (can't find an article to serve as proof) he played 1 test with a Belgium Invitational / International XV vs Argentina prior to the 2007 RWC, along with other former French internationals.

He had coached in Brazil before and had only moved to Madagascar to run a hotel... interesting turn of events in his rugby career. But hey, if it helps Madagascar reach an acceptable position in rugby one cannot be against it! They have a war dance prior to their games, so imagine them facing the Haka! :shock:

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 14:09

Raven wrote:
vino_93 wrote:Former french internaitonal Francis N'Tamack is the new head coach of Magadascar :thumbup:

Brother of the "real international" who was his brother :D I think Francis was a 1 time international and if my memory serves me right (can't find an article to serve as proof) he played 1 test with a Belgium Invitational / International XV vs Argentina prior to the 2007 RWC, along with other former French internationals.

He had coached in Brazil before and had only moved to Madagascar to run a hotel... interesting turn of events in his rugby career. But hey, if it helps Madagascar reach an acceptable position in rugby one cannot be against it! They have a war dance prior to their games, so imagine them facing the Haka! :shock:

The game you ask for : https://www.sportkipik.be/belgique-arge ... es-equipes
I remember that was shown on french TV :D I had difficulties to understand what the fuck this was, playing under belgian colours with former french international players :lol:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 12 Apr 2021, 16:45

Raven wrote:

Yes, he was assistant coach in the 2000s. The head coach was Pierre Paparemborde. But Brazilian rugby was extremely amateur at that time.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 13 Apr 2021, 00:06

I always enjoyed watching him play.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum