Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Growing rugby in Tier 1 nations

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 26 Dec 2020, 22:38

victorsra wrote:South Afirca had 14% of the teams and now it will be 25%. But those teams will probably mean the whole league seeing the number of fans doubling. Even if most of those fans are poorer, due to Rand's value. And the product (the games) will be better. One must be mad to reject that deal.

It's a great deal. South Africa is one of the few countries where rugby is the number one professional sport. And despite its economic problems it's still a big country with teams in its four biggest richest cities.

South Africans look to overseas. I can't really explain it but I know it to be true. Whereas France and Japan like to have a domestic league that is closed to foreign countries, South Africans love to be part of a transcontinental competition. They like to be connected to the Anglophone world. This is a good fit for them.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 Jan 2021, 17:23

:shock: ;)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 Jan 2021, 01:48

This story has been in a couple of British newspapers. English Premiership is considering expanding to 13 then 14 teams, stopping relegation for a couple of seasons, then introducing a promotion/relegation play off.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... -expansion

I am in favour of expansion. It seems likely that the two promoted teams will be Saracens and Ealing. This would be the first time there have been four London teams in the Premiership since the 1992-93 season.
I think this would be really good for developing rugby in London. I would like every kid in London to have a favourite rugby team. Realistically this will be more the case in West London, North West London and North London. It will also be great for organising big derby games in London's huge stadiums. In the article it says the Premiership teams have been reluctant to expand in the past and take a smaller slice of the pie, but if it's a bigger pie they will be no worse off.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 18 Jan 2021, 08:18

Whereas in France, we are talking to reduce to 12 :D

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 Jan 2021, 08:52

vino_93 wrote:Whereas in France, we are talking to reduce to 12 :D

You can do that in France. You have three professional divisions. Pro D2 is a proper professional league. The RFU Championship is barely professional and below that the leagues are amateur or semi pro. The difference between Premiership budgets and Championship budgets is massive.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 18 Jan 2021, 15:32

Only two pro divisions. Nationale is semi-pro ;)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 Jan 2021, 16:52

Of course, France is another discussion, Pro D2 is good enough. If the Championship were part of the PRL the situation would be way different.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Thu, 04 Mar 2021, 22:24

Top 14 got yet another unbelievable TV deal. Considering the Gallagher Premiership struggled to come close to their previous deal with BT, the Top 14 have done very well indeed to get a 17% increase.

Top 14 wins jackpot with new €113.6million per year TV rights deal
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/top-14-w ... ights-deal

Also worth noting there is no Super Rugby deal in the UK and Ireland at the moment. Sky Sports previously paid £20 million a year however it included Australia/New Zealand & South Africa international rights too. By all accounts Sky are holding back to bid big for the Six Nations, how big I'm not sure as their sports department are a little stretched at the moment. Must be people cancelling subscriptions during the pandemic with a general lack of sport.

Its hard times to get a decent TV deal at present unless you are of course the Top 14!

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Fri, 05 Mar 2021, 07:33

tryman wrote:Top 14 got yet another unbelievable TV deal. Considering the Gallagher Premiership struggled to come close to their previous deal with BT, the Top 14 have done very well indeed to get a 17% increase.

Also worth noting there is no Super Rugby deal in the UK and Ireland at the moment. Sky Sports previously paid £20 million a year however it included Australia/New Zealand & South Africa international rights too. By all accounts Sky are holding back to bid big for the Six Nations, how big I'm not sure as their sports department are a little stretched at the moment. Must be people cancelling subscriptions during the pandemic with a general lack of sport.

Its hard times to get a decent TV deal at present unless you are of course the Top 14!

Super Rugby Aotearoa is on RugbyPass in the UK

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Fri, 05 Mar 2021, 09:19

sammo wrote:
tryman wrote:Top 14 got yet another unbelievable TV deal. Considering the Gallagher Premiership struggled to come close to their previous deal with BT, the Top 14 have done very well indeed to get a 17% increase.

I find a very minor streaming site isn't as good as a TV deal with Sky or BT. The viewership will go down considerably, pity it only includes the New Zealand teams.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Fri, 05 Mar 2021, 09:38

tryman wrote:
sammo wrote:

I find a very minor streaming site isn't as good as a TV deal with Sky or BT. The viewership will go down considerably, pity it only includes the New Zealand teams.

I don’t disagree, just highlighting that there is a deal for part of the competition.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 05 Mar 2021, 13:14

It is fine to be on RugbyPass, but only if there is also another broadcaster. When you are exclusively on a rugby platform, you are simply saying you don't want new fans. That's how small rugby (and Super Rugby) wants to be.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 11 Mar 2021, 09:54

This is going to change everything..
Six Nations: Private equity giants CVC complete deal for share in tournament
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56359501

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Thu, 11 Mar 2021, 19:09

Thomas wrote:This is going to change everything..
Six Nations: Private equity giants CVC complete deal for share in tournament
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56359501

My reading of this and the article in the Guardian is:

They have ruled out relegation and promotion from 6N - so no immediate expansion.

They have said something about developing the Autumn Internationals but nothing radical.

They have said the months between July and November provide scope for doing something for emerging nations - status quo on the global calendar?

Talk of extending the global popularity of Rugby - I think this merely means maximising TV deals and opening up new TV audiences to the 6N and AI.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum