Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Tue, 26 Jan 2021, 18:19

NaBUru38 wrote:
victorsra wrote:It is official, Jaguares XV


At least it's Jaguares XV and not just Jaguares.


"Jaguares XV" devalues the competition. It should be just "Jaguares" or another brand.

It is still very interesting the fact UAR keeps searching for a new league for the Jaguares. It is very difficult to see good possibilities in the horizon. At least realisticaly.

Posts: 138
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2019, 20:14

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Pichulonko » Wed, 27 Jan 2021, 04:28

How can you have a Jaguares XV if there's not a proper Jaguares team assembled?

UAR should finally come to terms with the fact that the Jaguares as we knew them are no longer, and that this second tier version in SLAR is in fact what's left and should be named accordingly.

Posts: 107
Joined: Sun, 05 Feb 2017, 15:38
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Higgik » Wed, 27 Jan 2021, 10:36

Yes,

The brand needs sorting. Sure there are lots of options.

The Jaguares could be the name for the National A team, like England having the Saxons.

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Jan 2021, 13:32

You mean Argentina XV being called "Jaguares"? It is going to be the same squad of SLAR's "Jaguares XV"... and why a more valuable brand for a team that will play just the short South American Championship or the Nations Cup?

Posts: 805
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Raven » Wed, 27 Jan 2021, 13:42

Argentina XV was called like that some years ago....

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Jan 2021, 15:50

Yes, but before they had professional teams. Now it is a real brand.

Oh, they haven't updated Jaguares website properly yet https://www.jaguares.com.ar/competencias/

User avatar
Posts: 1439
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 28 Jan 2021, 15:11

News about Peñarol:

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/la ... 1126173917

They will have just 4 foreign players: Manuel Nogués (scrum-half), Nahuel Milan (second row), a prop and a hooker.

Uruguayans believed to be include are Juan Echeverría, Diego Arbelo, Ignacio Péculo, Guillermo Pujadas, Facundo Gattas, Juan Garese, Eric Dos Santos, Santiago Civetta, Manuel Ardao, Andrés Vilaseca, Felipe Etcheverry, Nicolás Freitas, Baltazar Amaya, Federico Favarom Rodrigo Silva, José Iruleguy, Leandro Segredo and Ezequiel Ramos.

Alejandro Nieto is recovering from an operation. Juan Manuel Cat, Agustín Della Corte and Ignacio Rodríguez Bosch are no longer professionals.

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Thu, 28 Jan 2021, 19:05

Selknam's 40 men

Image

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Thu, 28 Jan 2021, 20:43

Maybe this is the real answer why it is Jaguares XV and not Jaguares: https://uar.com.ar/2021/01/28/marcelo-r ... e-sanzaar/ With UAR in the SAZAAR leadership, maybe they are realy trying an alternative.

Posts: 744
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby carbonero » Thu, 28 Jan 2021, 22:43

You are reading too much into it. He has the job for 12 months.

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Thu, 28 Jan 2021, 22:54

Ok, but if it is Jaguares XV in SLAR it is because they want to find another thing for the Jaguares, right?

Posts: 744
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby carbonero » Fri, 29 Jan 2021, 01:21

They are looking for other competitions. I don’t know if the name has to do with it.

> https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2572883

> https://rugby.com.ar/gabriel-travaglini ... cosas-mal/

Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 29 Jan 2021, 02:28

carbonero wrote:They are looking for other competitions. I don’t know if the name has to do with it.

> https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2572883

> https://rugby.com.ar/gabriel-travaglini ... cosas-mal/


Well, there's only really a handful of destinations they could end up. Either back in one of either SR Au or Ao. Or in the Pro structure. I actually think they would be worth a look in a Pro17 competition. This way they could play a 16 game/17 round season in friendlier time zones which would provide them with the competition they are look for and help Pro squad manage play load equally ideally stronger squads playing in the competition week in and week out.

Though I think that either option is probably a little far out of the equation at present. And they probably should look to properly commit to SLAR for now.

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Jan 2021, 05:38

carbonero wrote:They are looking for other competitions. I don’t know if the name has to do with it.

> https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2572883

> https://rugby.com.ar/gabriel-travaglini ... cosas-mal/


If they don't have other plans for the "Jaguares" brand, what's the reason to use the downgraded name?

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Jan 2021, 21:00

Image

Posts: 744
Joined: Wed, 11 Jun 2014, 07:45
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby carbonero » Fri, 29 Jan 2021, 22:35

I hope I’m wrong but the squad looks too strong. Maybe they can drop points in mid-week matches because their depth is young. The UAR could have still spread the talent better to make the tournament more appealing.

victorsra wrote: If they don't have other plans for the "Jaguares" brand, what's the reason to use the downgraded name?

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Armchair Fan wrote:Why degrading the prestige of a franchise that reached Super Rugby final by using its name for a team that will have players two steps below that?

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 02:12

You are basicaly agreeing with me. You only save the value of the brand if you want to use it in the future, therefore, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

But this is clear since they anounced "Jaguares XV", obviously. What I meant is that Rodriguez as SANZAAR chairman might mean UAR still wants a solution within SANZAAR. Which might not be work or even be true, but it is curious that an Argentine was chosen right now anyway.

Posts: 138
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2019, 20:14

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Pichulonko » Sat, 30 Jan 2021, 20:36

carbonero wrote:I hope I’m wrong but the squad looks too strong. Maybe they can drop points in mid-week matches because their depth is young. The UAR could have still spread the talent better to make the tournament more appealing.


I agree, Jaguares XV are looking strong but so is Selknam. Their starting line-up can go toe to toe with Jaguares XV and wouldn't skip a beat.

Posts: 1851
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Tobar » Sun, 31 Jan 2021, 14:31

It looks like they only have 5 foreigners though. So isn’t Selknam basically the Chilean national team?

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Sun, 31 Jan 2021, 16:02

Yes, but Chile will beat the All Blacks in the RWC 2023.

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Sun, 31 Jan 2021, 22:19

But I agree the Jaguares XV looks a bit too strong for the overall level of the league. Let's see.

Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 02 Feb 2021, 07:18

It will be a good step up for the rest of the teams though. It's great and all that South American has a professional league and all but unless the players are exposed to more skilled opponents the national teams won't be able to progress much beyond the level of Tonga or Italy.

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Tue, 02 Feb 2021, 18:21

Tomorrow we'll know how the Brazilian franchise will be named.

Posts: 805
Joined: Fri, 15 Aug 2014, 13:57

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Raven » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 15:53

thatrugbyguy wrote:It will be a good step up for the rest of the teams though. It's great and all that South American has a professional league and all but unless the players are exposed to more skilled opponents the national teams won't be able to progress much beyond the level of Tonga or Italy.


We have to wait and see how everything develops. As you say, it's good for the region and the fact that this is happening with the current scenario is a massive stepping stone. When referring to the level of the players and teams, we always have to bare in mind that this is a transition season and hopefully if things come to normal (or a more controlled situation at least) by 2022 we will see again some extra foreign players that will raise the bar, perhaps even some expansion teams.

Posts: 9062
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby victorsra » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 17:20

victorsra wrote:Tomorrow we'll know how the Brazilian franchise will be named.

Postponed. It will be tomorrow.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 14 guests