Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Raven » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 17:32

victorsra wrote:
victorsra wrote:Tomorrow we'll know how the Brazilian franchise will be named.

Postponed. It will be tomorrow.

Any rumours? :P

Will it be a football team behind it or just a made up name be the union? (My guess is the latter of course...)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 17:41

I know the name, I just can't say now :P It won't be a football club.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 17:46

victorsra wrote:
victorsra wrote:Tomorrow we'll know how the Brazilian franchise will be named.

Postponed. It will be tomorrow.

Do you have any idea what it will be?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 18:09

Yes, I already saw it. Unfortunatly, it isn't Capybaras :cry: But it is an animal.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 02:15

Anaconda, Piranha or Chiguire?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 03:04

None of those. BTW, "piranha" also means "slut", so, no :lol:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:07

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:30

Cobras? Really not exactly a native animal for that part of the world. You have snakes or is snakes also cobra in Portuguese? Serious question.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:35

Thomas wrote:Cobras? Really not exactly a native animal for that part of the world. You have snakes or is snakes also cobra in Portuguese? Serious question.

Cobra in Portuguese = Snake. We call all our snakes "cobras", it is the most common term. What you call "Cobra" in English (the Indian species) is "Naja" in Portuguese. False cognate.
Last edited by victorsra on Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:37

Thanks for the clarification.. In spanish there are 2 separate words and I was getting confused with the Portuguese

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:43

Your observation is very important, I haven't thought about this and may generate mistunderstandment for Spanish or English speakers.... I think the Brazilian Rugby Union hasn't thought about it either.

It is the same situation of the term "Americana" that was discussed in this forum in the past (that "Superliga Americana" is misleading in Portuguese because in Brazil 90% of the times the term "americana" is used it refers only to the USA, while in Spanish it is a common term for the whole continent).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:50

"Cobra" in Brazil is also a term that means "excelence". A person that is "cobra" is someone very good at something, however it is not much used by young people. But it is weird because it can also mean someone "treacherous". Also, there is a famous speach in Brazil, "a cobra vai fumar" ("the snake will smoke"), that means something like "be ready for that, it will be tough", in a spectacular way.

The official argument for the name is the cultural meaning of snakes for indigenous Brazilians and their widespread presence in their mythology and, therefore, in general Brazilian culture. The "boitata" is a mythological fire serpent that protects forests, very iconic.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 14:24

Certainly beats Corinthians.

Postby Raven » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 14:41

Well, at least there will be a good mix of Kit colours now! too much white and red in various designs last time around!

Is Flash the technical sponsor? I see Brasil XV below the Cobras name but I don't imagine that being a local brand...?

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 15:02

I vaguely remember the Smoking Cobras - used by the Brazilian Army as their emblem

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 15:08

Thomas wrote:I vaguely remember the Smoking Cobras - used by the Brazilian Army as their emblem

Yes, in WWII. Although the army is always a controversial subject in Brazil (well, dictatorship...), Smoking Cobras is usualy a term well accepted because it is mainly associated to the WWII's Brazilian Expeditionary Force. AFAIK it isn't used anymore.
It is Flash (but I'll confirm, in case something changed).
Last edited by victorsra on Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.

Re: South American League (LAR)

Postby Raven » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 15:09

victorsra wrote:
Raven wrote:It's taking me forever to figure out how to upload an image which is not on a website. Is there a way for it?

There's a few photos going round that I would like to share, a rugby brand which coincidentially is the new Brazilian Rugby kit manufacturer with names, logos and jersey design of some of the league teams.

So it seems, Peñarol (URU), Nacional (URU), Olimpia (PAR), Corinthians (BRA) and Cobras (BRA) would be the names. Jaguares XV isn't shown on those graphics, but no doubt they'll take part, the Chilean one is a bit more of a mystery.

That been said, I had also heard the rumor that Brazil wanted to go back with one of the franchises and some even mentioned that due to the offers many Uruguayans have had during and after the RWC (not just the MLR) the plan of launching 2 at the same time was going to prove difficult.

Time will tell.

I saw those images and I haven't posted them here or on my website because they are a false clue.

Flash is the manufacturer, it is Argentine. Those images are a project of how would be the uniforms. Corinthians hasn't signed nothing and Cobras won't happen. The former Brazilian Rugby Union CEO made this fake teams just to try to sell the project. Brazil WON'T have 2 teams because money is over. It is a load a misinformation.

BTW, Cobras is a ridiculous name for a Brazilian team and would become a joke around here. Terrible idea.

I knew I had heard the name Cobras before and it caught my attention that the Twitter account was created in January 2020. So how do you like the name now Victor? :lol:

PS: the jerseys presented are quite similar to the ones I wanted to upload in October 2019!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 15:14

I don't realy like :lol:, but I'm a bit more ok with it. In fact, I'm just relieved it isn't Corinthians. I think they should have done a proper popular vote and etc.

They are using Cobras because they delayed too much any decision, so they have no time to do anything better. They recycled it. But, atm, it is better Cobras than Corinthians.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 15:36

Update: it isn't Flash. It is "own production".

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 16:38

victorsra wrote:Update: it isn't Flash. It is "own production".

If you mean Flash, like Shoulder Flash/Patch. That is exactly what that emblem was for.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 17:28

National Flag:

Postby rugby-veterinarian » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 21:09

The Cobras alternate jersey looks sweet!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American League (LAR)

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 21:10

Raven wrote:
victorsra wrote:
Raven wrote:It's taking me forever to figure out how to upload an image which is not on a website. Is there a way for it?

There's a few photos going round that I would like to share, a rugby brand which coincidentially is the new Brazilian Rugby kit manufacturer with names, logos and jersey design of some of the league teams.

So it seems, Peñarol (URU), Nacional (URU), Olimpia (PAR), Corinthians (BRA) and Cobras (BRA) would be the names. Jaguares XV isn't shown on those graphics, but no doubt they'll take part, the Chilean one is a bit more of a mystery.

That been said, I had also heard the rumor that Brazil wanted to go back with one of the franchises and some even mentioned that due to the offers many Uruguayans have had during and after the RWC (not just the MLR) the plan of launching 2 at the same time was going to prove difficult.

Time will tell.

I saw those images and I haven't posted them here or on my website because they are a false clue.

Flash is the manufacturer, it is Argentine. Those images are a project of how would be the uniforms. Corinthians hasn't signed nothing and Cobras won't happen. The former Brazilian Rugby Union CEO made this fake teams just to try to sell the project. Brazil WON'T have 2 teams because money is over. It is a load a misinformation.

BTW, Cobras is a ridiculous name for a Brazilian team and would become a joke around here. Terrible idea.

I knew I had heard the name Cobras before and it caught my attention that the Twitter account was created in January 2020. So how do you like the name now Victor? :lol:

PS: the jerseys presented are quite similar to the ones I wanted to upload in October 2019!

Looking at social media response today, a big number of people liked the fact that the brand is neutral and not Corinthians, which shows that point was crucial indeed. Many people disliked the brand saying it is a bad name, bad concept, which means I wasn't totaly wrong when I said in the past it was a bad name. I'm seeing many people in Brazil with this sentiment. However, my impression is that more people liked than disliked, which means I was wrong (excessively harsh in fact, not surpringly :lol: ) about the Cobras name.

If I had to describe social media in Brazilian rugby today is that the main sentiment if "relief". Let's see how this evolves.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 21:50

So does this mean their name is As Cobras?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 22:18

In theory, yes, Cobra is a feminine noun. However, the gender of a noun can change when it becomes a brand name. The Braziian Rugby Union is calling it "Os Cobras", masculine. I guess they want to make a difference between animal and brand. https://twitter.com/cobrasbrasilxv/stat ... 1361719296

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum