Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 10 Nov 2020, 01:14

Tobar wrote:Colombia announces that it has formalized it's professional structure. No indication for how much players would be paid but they do mention potential investors.

http://www.coc.org.co/all-news/la-profe ... -un-hecho/

I don't want to run before we walk here but I do wonder what the plan is for pro rugby in Colombia in the next 10-15 years. SLAR is a terrific opportunity to have a "Super Rugby" style of competition for the national team to train together daily but the long term growth of the sport depends on the whole country. Colombia is not a country with most of its population in one city, similar to Brazil and perhaps Argentina, so it would need to have teams in each of the major cities to really grow. This is terrific for now but I hope they add teams in other cities to capture the nation.

This also makes me wonder...what is the plan for all of the other countries? Assuming that SLAR is successful enough where countries can start having 3-5 teams (20ish total), how will that affect the formatting? Will countries decide to split their season in two similar to Super Rugby and Mitre 10 / NRC, etc.? This way would create 3-5 teams with the best players and then the top club setup in a different season with some of the professional players dispersed? Will the pro players be allowed to return to clubs if the seasons don't clash? Or will countries start looking inward and focusing on domestic leagues rather than international ones like SLAR? I don't see that happening any time soon but Colombia could potentially do that if there are enough teams in order to avoid travelling far distances. Who knows...

Anyway - this is all good news! I'm always thinking of how this works down the line because I'd love to see the region really take off and impress the rugby world.

The goal should be for each to have two teams backed by a solid national region/academy/club competition of around 6-8 teams feeding into them. This would provide them with the base and talent pool to compete both in SLAR but more so internationally.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 10 Nov 2020, 02:08

Great news. Real professional movement now happening in South America. Other regions around the world need to start taking notice.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 10 Nov 2020, 02:48

victorsra wrote:Yes, Brazil and Colombia are the countries more decentralised. But still for rugby São Paulo state is half of Brazilian rugby... i guess Medellin accounts for the same.... Which means there is still one dominant rugby city/region in both countries.

Yep, if I remember correctly there are around 17,000 registered players in Colombia and around 8000 are in Antioquia.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Nov 2020, 14:24

Pretty much Antioquia (Medellín) is Colombian version of São Paulo for rugby.

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 11 Nov 2020, 02:56

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Tobar wrote:Colombia announces that it has formalized it's professional structure. No indication for how much players would be paid but they do mention potential investors.

http://www.coc.org.co/all-news/la-profe ... -un-hecho/

I don't want to run before we walk here but I do wonder what the plan is for pro rugby in Colombia in the next 10-15 years. SLAR is a terrific opportunity to have a "Super Rugby" style of competition for the national team to train together daily but the long term growth of the sport depends on the whole country. Colombia is not a country with most of its population in one city, similar to Brazil and perhaps Argentina, so it would need to have teams in each of the major cities to really grow. This is terrific for now but I hope they add teams in other cities to capture the nation.

This also makes me wonder...what is the plan for all of the other countries? Assuming that SLAR is successful enough where countries can start having 3-5 teams (20ish total), how will that affect the formatting? Will countries decide to split their season in two similar to Super Rugby and Mitre 10 / NRC, etc.? This way would create 3-5 teams with the best players and then the top club setup in a different season with some of the professional players dispersed? Will the pro players be allowed to return to clubs if the seasons don't clash? Or will countries start looking inward and focusing on domestic leagues rather than international ones like SLAR? I don't see that happening any time soon but Colombia could potentially do that if there are enough teams in order to avoid travelling far distances. Who knows...

Anyway - this is all good news! I'm always thinking of how this works down the line because I'd love to see the region really take off and impress the rugby world.

The goal should be for each to have two teams backed by a solid national region/academy/club competition of around 6-8 teams feeding into them. This would provide them with the base and talent pool to compete both in SLAR but more so internationally.

Maybe it's easier to think/imagine where countries involved in SLAR would be in ten years and not what could happen in long-long term horizon. Stating that I mean how far we could see of the plan of these countries and SAR.

As far as I can see, the idea of SAR is to establish a level of rugby where all (or most) teams can be competitive against the Argentinean side (or sides). Some countries could reach that level faster than other but on the other hand they have the goal of doing so with their own players. It's certainly something that would make some countries like Paraguay or Colombia to avoid any expansion team in these 5-10 years. I find Uruguay doing well with 2 teams in the next years with more Uruguayan players in their rosters year after year. About Brazil I wish they would have 2 teams by 2030 but it's really unknown how they will develop their national structure by then and maybe they keep only 1 team in SLAR in those 10 years. Chile could find the way to establish a second franchise in a few years and in 10 years it's not really clear how much rugby could grow there but I would be pleasantly surprised if a third team make its appearance. About Argentina, nothing is clear about how much interested in SLAR is UAR. Perhaps, Argentina could field 3 or 4 teams by 2030 (it's not a problem about rugby level for them but financial).

All in all, countries involved in SLAR have different internal structures and it's unknown how much importance they will give to SLAR in long term. If all the countries reach the point where they can field 5 or more teams, I'm seeing that SLAR will be something like Copa Libertadores with each country playing their own domestic leagues.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 11 Nov 2020, 15:19

One thing is still clear: Brazil wants an 100% Tupis squad. Which means that maybe we'll be less competitive in SLAR than in ARC. Maybe.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Wed, 11 Nov 2020, 17:40

It is difficult to predict medium and long term SLAR situation without knowing what is going on with the Jaguares squad. If they participate as one team located in B. Aires, SLAR will clearly be dominated by the 2 argentinian franchises, with the other 4 teams far behind Jaguares. Which would be the goal of the other franchises, to be the third best? This scheme could reduce the competitivness of SLAR.
The alternative would be to distribute the talent of Jaguares among the 6 current franchises(through a draft) and set up a second string Jaguares team as second argentinian franchise. In such a case , with a more competitive league, I could expect a second chilean franchise by 2023/4 and a third one a couple of years later both of them based out of Santiago. If the 2 argentinian franchises go through the finncial challenge, is logical to expect at least 3 more teams by 2030, they will have players enough.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 11 Nov 2020, 19:46

This discussion is good and highlights the tension between the league being there as a pipeline and practice ground for the national teams, and the SLAR becoming a competitive and attractive league with a value of its own.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 00:01

We can expect Ceibos and Jaguares to dominate, but I believe it will be less problematic than we might think. The best Jaguares players will definitly go abroad, which means that maybe what will be left will be a squad not much better than the current Ceibos squad.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 01:06

Victor : there are 45 players of Argentina in Australia. 17 are currently playing for or have agreement to play for clubs of Europe and Australia, 2 are from Los Ceibos , 4 come from the U 20 team and 22 are Jaguares. 7 more Jaguares were not selected to go to Australia. Some of the 29 Jaguares will move to play abroad but the remaining squad will be a strong outfit for the level showed by SLAR so far.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 03:50

Don't forget many more can leave next year. The pandemics messed up with the market. The end of the Super Rugby happened quickly and probably some players prefered to wait to see what will happen and, more importantly, how much UAR will be able to pay them if there is only SLAR. A lot may change. The Japanese market may heat things up. Russia, MLR, Western Force, Ealing....

Postby Raven » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 10:52

ficcp wrote:Victor : there are 45 players of Argentina in Australia. 17 are currently playing for or have agreement to play for clubs of Europe and Australia, 2 are from Los Ceibos , 4 come from the U 20 team and 22 are Jaguares. 7 more Jaguares were not selected to go to Australia. Some of the 29 Jaguares will move to play abroad but the remaining squad will be a strong outfit for the level showed by SLAR so far.

I agree, perhaps the numbers you are putting out there look a bit too optimistic (I doubt that half of the extended squad will return to play for a SLAR franchise), but I concur 100% that for the region, Argentina has enough depth to bring an interesting and a very competitive mix of players.

Don't forget Ceibos shared some of the players with the Jaguares extended squad, and they have also lost a number of important players and will also need to hire some new ones, but at the same time there are some 7s players that may now be playing both codes or dropped by the 7s programme to pursue a XVs breakthrough.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 13:45

I think this is a minor issue that can be solved in a couple of years. The question is if and when UAR will announce.the Jaguares move to SLAR. We are already in November...

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 16:34

We must also add the squads of Sevens and Argentina XV : few of them are Jaguares already (Ortega Desio) and some will move abroad, but all the rest are potential Jaguares.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 17:23

The question about having Argentines in other teams depend on each country's views. At least now, the Brazilian Rugby Union (CBRu) prefers to have zero players that aren't eligible to the Tupis. They don't care if this would mean bad results, as their focus is to build the Tupis squad. But this is only logical because the Brazilian franchise is 100% financed by CBRu. If there was a private investor like in Olimpia's case, that would be different probably.

Postby Raven » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 17:30

ficcp wrote:We must also add the squads of Sevens and Argentina XV : few of them are Jaguares already (Ortega Desio) and some will move abroad, but all the rest are potential Jaguares.

Sure, as mentioned before, there's a lot of depth to tap and build good squads (up to what we saw), within SLAR standard, but then you got to take into consideration that the audience was used to attending Jaguares vs Super Rugby franchises with the best players available. I don't know if there are big "Jaguares Fans" who would attend the matches now if they were to join SLAR. Hence why I doubt Jaguares will be added the same way. They might just snooze the project as it was for now and bring it again if a "Super" opportunity rises again.

I believe UAR will try to lure their best players into other SR franchises, keep them at that level and calendar season with the South (also avoiding a continuous massive exodus to England and France) and re-shuffle squads for Ceibos + their potential 2nd franchise with the remainder of the players they have under contract.

Sounds great in theory, but then the questions that arose when the SLAR was launched i.e: who's paying, when will teams play to prevent club calendar clashes, where (one in Cordoba and one in Buenos Aires? as the "Casa Jaguares/Pumas" is there for them to train?), will it generate interest now that the 'best' aren't there?...etc, will come back again. It's one thing to have a Ceibos side with a RWC participant (Mensa) and a few rotating Jaguares (Castro, Zeiss, Albornoz...), and another is to have 2 sides made up of players that are in the 4th or 5th alternative for a possible national team call up.

But I'd like to think this is a positive problem to have rather than the opposite.

How great would it be if Pino and SLAR manage to get the Cheetahs on board.... :D

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 18:09

Cheetahs would be great for the competition (and for the Cheetahs, that would face good Argentina players). For Brazil it would be good because it is easy to fly to South Africa from São Paulo, but for the others would be more tiring and costly.

Anyway, the Cheetahs issue for SLAR is the same for MLR or Russia: if South Africa Rugby won't put money anymore on the Cheetahs, how would it be viable for them? SLAR doesn't offer $... and the is always who pays.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 18:34

A Cheetahs tour to South America as a pre or post season tour might be more via than actually joining SLAR.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 18:41

Not sure if it would be more viable. It is money with even less return...

The advantage for South Africa about South America is their good relationship with Argentina. But Argentina doesn't have $ to offer....

IMO, if Russia or USA aren't opening $ opportunities for the Cheetahs and the Cheetahs would need to face a purely technical decision, SLAR is the best choice. But who pays?

Postby Raven » Thu, 12 Nov 2020, 18:49

They need the Andrew Forrest equivalent of South Africa! haha

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum