Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby carbonero » Wed, 06 Jan 2021, 03:46

First six signings for Olimpia > http://www.rugbychampagneweb.com/Notici ... r-mas_5296

They will have 15 foreigners. This first contingent looks better than the one joining Cafeteros. Four were part of Ceibos last year, plus Zapata that has a lot of experience in Arg. XV. No signs of Jaguares though. The remaining players are probably staying in Ceibos.

Postby Raven » Wed, 06 Jan 2021, 09:12

So with Garcia in Cafeteros PRO and Inchauspe in Olimpia, Bazan Velez in Pumas 7s it's more than probable that Ceibos (or whatever name the Arg franchise has in the end) will end up with Bertranou and Ezcurra. The only Nr9 left out I can think of right now is Pellandini (mind you, Cancelliere will always be a better SH than all of the mentioned above!)

Nogues in Penarol comes a bit as a surprise also but he seemed to be a bit left out in contention, perhaps some good performances in SLAR might bring his name in the mix.

carbonero wrote:No signs of Jaguares though. The remaining players are probably staying in Ceibos.

I have the same feeling.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Jan 2021, 15:24

It looks like the Brazilian team will have 4 argies. TBA.

Well, it makes sense Argentina having their former Jaguares playing for Ceibos.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Wed, 06 Jan 2021, 19:00

Apparently, Jaguares will replace Ceibos in SLAR > https://www.aplenorugby.com.ar/site/ame ... _YFf-kzZQI

It is not the most trustworthy source but at least they are reporting instead of speculating. There could be some sort of force majeure clause in the contract. Or the UAR might have to buy them out. However, it is a horrible look for the union. Who the fuck is going to invest in another franchise now? Piñeyrúa should step in.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 06 Jan 2021, 20:47

There could be some sort of force majeure clause in the contract. Or the UAR might have to buy them out. However, it is a horrible look for the union. Who the fuck is going to invest in another franchise now? Piñeyrúa should step in.

I agree with you. This would look very bad for the league.

But here is the thing. Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, according to the deal that created SLAR, have the right to field 2 teams if they want. If Ceibos have private money, why UAR wants to replace them instead of having 2 teams (one independent, one UAR-managed)? Is Ceibos relying on some UAR money?

Well, Ceibos CEO suggested they could have 2 teams if UAR decided that by October.

¿Podrían haber jugado los dos equipos en el torneo? “Si esta intención se hubiese planteado en octubre, hubiera habido tiempo de armar dos equipos”, señaló Fernando Riccomi, CEO de Ceibos, en un diálogo con A Pleno Rugby

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 06 Jan 2021, 23:54

carbonero wrote:First six signings for Olimpia > http://www.rugbychampagneweb.com/Notici ... r-mas_5296

They will have 15 foreigners. This first contingent looks better than the one joining Cafeteros. Four were part of Ceibos last year, plus Zapata that has a lot of experience in Arg. XV. No signs of Jaguares though. The remaining players are probably staying in Ceibos.

I read somewhere that Olimpia drafted 3 first then Cafeteros drafted 3. I don’t know why they did it this way if Cafeteros were the new team, maybe it’s because they got 10 players instead of 6. Cafeteros also picked their 10 based on which holes they had based on their national team so they could have theoretically passed on a better player in order to give the playing time to a Colombian.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 00:01

victorsra wrote:
There could be some sort of force majeure clause in the contract. Or the UAR might have to buy them out. However, it is a horrible look for the union. Who the fuck is going to invest in another franchise now? Piñeyrúa should step in.

I agree with you. This would look very bad for the league.

But here is the thing. Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, according to the deal that created SLAR, have the right to field 2 teams if they want. If Ceibos have private money, why UAR wants to replace them instead of having 2 teams (one independent, one UAR-managed)? Is Ceibos relying on some UAR money?

Well, Ceibos CEO suggested they could have 2 teams if UAR decided that by October.

¿Podrían haber jugado los dos equipos en el torneo? “Si esta intención se hubiese planteado en octubre, hubiera habido tiempo de armar dos equipos”, señaló Fernando Riccomi, CEO de Ceibos, en un diálogo con A Pleno Rugby

What a bizarre story. So instead of having 1 private and 1 Union funded team with Argentinians they decided to remove the privately funded one to only have the Union funded team. How does this make any sense at all? It’s clearly a better situation to have two.

Now they have burned the bridge of a guy willing to invest $1 million into the franchise. And I assume they are also moving to BA so it’s a kick in the teeth to the rest of the country.

Postby Pichulonko » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 04:43

Ceibos have a contract with SLAR until 2026. This isn't over.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 07:06

Draft list for the five teams: Olimpia (13), Cafeteros (10), Brazil (4), Selknam (3) and Peñarol (2) > https://www.tercertiemporugby.com.ar/sl ... acionales/

So much for dividing the talent pool to even the playing field. I guess Ledesma wants to keep the squad together. Some of them will have to face Wales in July. Would it hurt though to leave Bavaro, Elias or Portillo to the rest of the league? Those are good players but they don't have real chances of suiting up for Pumas.

victorsra wrote:Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, according to the deal that created SLAR, have the right to field 2 teams if they want. If Ceibos have private money, why UAR wants to replace them instead of having 2 teams (one independent, one UAR-managed)? Is Ceibos relying on some UAR money?

There has to be some sort of financial motivation behind the decision. We already know that the UAR is going back to stipends to clean their payroll. I'm also not sure if Riccomi has the stomach to employ the players directly.

Pichulonko wrote:Ceibos have a contract with SLAR until 2026. This isn't over.

Yeah, Piñeyrúa needs to step in. They could get sued as well.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 15:12

carbonero wrote:
victorsra wrote:Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil, according to the deal that created SLAR, have the right to field 2 teams if they want. If Ceibos have private money, why UAR wants to replace them instead of having 2 teams (one independent, one UAR-managed)? Is Ceibos relying on some UAR money?

There has to be some sort of financial motivation behind the decision. We already know that the UAR is going back to stipends to clean their payroll. I'm also not sure if Riccomi has the stomach to employ the players directly.

Probably this is the main issue. Who employs the players.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 16:36

No idea why a private investor would invest in a Union owned competition. It's like minor league baseball without any of the benefits.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 17:05

It can be a mixed system. Private Ceibos + UAR's Jaguares would be more or less what Italy has, with private Benetton and FIR's Zebre. However, Benetton receives $ from FIR AFAIK.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 17:46

carbonero wrote:Draft list for the five teams: Olimpia (13), Cafeteros (10), Brazil (4), Selknam (3) and Peñarol (2) > https://www.tercertiemporugby.com.ar/sl ... acionales/

So much for dividing the talent pool to even the playing field. I guess Ledesma wants to keep the squad together. Some of them will have to face Wales in July. Would it hurt though to leave Bavaro, Elias or Portillo to the rest of the league? Those are good players but they don't have real chances of suiting up for Pumas.

4th argentine in Selknam, Santiago Portillo: https://twitter.com/SelknamRugby/status ... -slar-2021

Plus Nicolás Bruzzone as head coach. So, Lemoine will be Condores head coach and some sort of general Director of Rugby?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 18:29

These are indeed the 4 names for the Brazilian team - that won't be called Corinthians (pay attention in the news in the next weeks about this).

- Santiago Gripo (he comes as hooker, although he is also nº8/flanker);
- Manuel Bernstein (lock);
- Franco Giudice (flyhalf/centre);
- Marco De Sanctis (wing/fullback);

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 19:14

Can Peñarol be dropped too? URU has been calling them "Franquicia URU" on social media:
https://twitter.com/RugbyUruguay/status ... 9905780737

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 19:32

There was some doubt a couple of months ago when Peñarol had presidential elections. The main investor in the franchise lost comfortably. Yet, local media reported that they were coming back for 2021. Maybe the CM supports Nacional. Nothing would surprise me at this point

Jaguares XV all but confirmed > https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2563330

Ignacio Chans said that the reasoning behind the move is to keep the franchise’s backroom staff plus some of the sponsors. And that there is chance that Ceibos comes back in 2022.

victorsra wrote:that won't be called Corinthians (pay attention in the news in the next weeks about this)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 19:53

Ready to cheer.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 23:34

victorsra wrote:Ready to cheer.

That prairie dog is hella huge!

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 07 Jan 2021, 23:45

carbonero wrote:Draft list for the five teams: Olimpia (13), Cafeteros (10), Brazil (4), Selknam (3) and Peñarol (2) > https://www.tercertiemporugby.com.ar/sl ... acionales/

I’m confused, why did Olimpia have to draft 13 players? What happened to the team they had last year?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 08 Jan 2021, 00:03

TheStroBro wrote:
victorsra wrote:Ready to cheer.

That prairie dog is hella huge!

:lol: Go Capybaras!

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Fri, 08 Jan 2021, 02:38

Tobar wrote:I’m confused, why did Olimpia have to draft 13 players? What happened to the team they had last year?

Most foreign players left. Everyone is in short term contracts.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 08 Jan 2021, 04:55

carbonero wrote:There was some doubt a couple of months ago when Peñarol had presidential elections. The main investor in the franchise lost comfortably. Yet, local media reported that they were coming back for 2021. Maybe the CM supports Nacional. Nothing would surprise me at this point

Jaguares XV all but confirmed > https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2563330

Ignacio Chans said that the reasoning behind the move is to keep the franchise’s backroom staff plus some of the sponsors. And that there is chance that Ceibos comes back in 2022.

victorsra wrote:that won't be called Corinthians (pay attention in the news in the next weeks about this)

Hopefully we see Ceibos back in 2022 as I think Argentina really should have 2 teams involved to effectively anchor the competition alongside supplying additional talent throughout the league. This would provide them with a really solid base of players to develop and selected from.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 08 Jan 2021, 20:33

I hope so too but I’m concerned that the backer won’t have interest in returning.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Sat, 09 Jan 2021, 16:45

Tobar wrote:I hope so too but I’m concerned that the backer won’t have interest in returning.

Tobar : do not get too confused. This is South America, the cradle of "Realismo Magico". I guess whoever read "Cien Años de Soledad" got confused with the Buendía family and the multiple situations they faced.

SLAR is a Rugby version of Realismo Mágico, It can have a succesful second season in 2022 with 8 teams or disappear by that time. All the possibilities are there. The UAR, who was not an important actor in the 2020 version, has now the protagonic role. Investors, names of the teams and players are all involved in dynamics and changing situations similar to those of Buendia family. The main difference would be that Southamerica Rugby does not have a genious like Garcia Marquez behind the story.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 09 Jan 2021, 16:49

Tobar : do not get too confused. This is South America, the cradle of "Realismo Magico". I guess whoever read "Cien Años de Soledad" got confused with the Buendía family and the multiple situations they faced.

SLAR is a Rugby version of Realismo Mágico, It can have a succesful second season in 2022 with 8 teams or disappear by that time. All the possibilities are there. The UAR, who was not an important actor in the 2020 version, has now the protagonic role. Investors, names of the teams and players are all involved in dynamics and changing situations similar to those of Buendia family. The main difference would be that Southamerica Rugby does not have a genious like Garcia Marquez behind the story.

:lol:

Thank you for the definition. I loved it.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum