Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby Tobar » Sun, 14 Feb 2021, 04:49

victorsra wrote:In theory, yes, Cobra is a feminine noun. However, the gender of a noun can change when it becomes a brand name. The Braziian Rugby Union is calling it "Os Cobras", masculine. I guess they want to make a difference between animal and brand. https://twitter.com/cobrasbrasilxv/stat ... 1361719296

I’m just disappointed because that would make them very similar to “Ass Cobras” which makes me giggle.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 14 Feb 2021, 04:58

Cafeteros Pro Kira have been revealed (or leaked).

https://twitter.com/santideport/status/ ... 71395?s=21

I’m not the biggest fan. The yellow one looks just like the Peñarol and the other one is a bit meh. I like the blue one better though and it’s kinda cool how it’s basically the Colombian flag, though I wonder what it would look like if the yellow part was larger like the flag.

To be honest I’ve never really liked the design of the Tucanes’ kit, it always looked amateur compared to other countries. I always thought Brazil’s was really sleek for example. I hope that this new age of professionalism leads to a new kit for the national team.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 12:41

Cafeteros release their roster. 20 Colombians, 10 Argentinians.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLX0CwwgPG7 ... erx0kxh3el

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 12:58

Which is the Cafeteros home jersey?

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 17 Feb 2021, 23:35

I guess the yellow one because it’s their colors

Postby Raven » Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 09:49

Tobar wrote:I guess the yellow one because it’s their colors

I believe they announced the grey/blue one as the home jersey and the other as the away one, but it doesn't really matter, the good thing is that all squads have different sets and there shouldn't be a clash of colours on any game.

In the end Flash who was originally thought as the "technical sponsor" for the league will end up with 2 of the 6 teams. Again, not a major issue considering they had 3 of the 5 teams on the inaugural season anyway, but I kind of assumed (my error) that with the addition of Cafeteros they would have 4 of the 6, including the Brazilian side that also turned to another brand in the end.

Regarding the Cafeteros squad announcement: I kind of expected front rowers Carlos Angulo and Daniel Gutierrez to be in it as they played for Carrasco Polo last season. Not that I've seen them play and therefor put them ahead of any of the other players named, but since they had played for the Uruguayan champion, I was probably not the only one who thought they could be a part of it - I even recall some media mentioning that they were going to be joining the upcoming pro team... Same would apply to the absentees, Geovanny Carabajal and Danny Giraldo who were part of Peñarol last season and are not listed in Cafeteros. Or have they left elsewhere?

Still a month away from the Kick Off. I must admit I was more excited about last season but the 2021 edition is starting to grow on me...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 18 Feb 2021, 15:19

That’s a good catch, somehow I completely missed that. All of them should have been involved in the club and the 2 Carrasco players were the first confirmed for Cafeteros. No idea what happened there.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 22:23

Now they say Jaguares could join Pro 14
https://www.the42.ie/jaguares-pro14-536 ... ssion=true

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 22:37

So, the South Africans will play at home, but the Argies must be based away? That only puts them in a weak position. Not to mention they'll have to pay a fee to play the competition. Everything in EUROS. Different from Pampas XV and Jaguares XV playing 3 months in South Africa, PRO16 is a 10-months-league. Ok, they'll have to build fans in Spain, to make it more sustainable. But no matter the degree of success in building a fan base, it will cost a lot. And for which benefit? To control Pumas' players? They are already employed in Europe...

Very questionable project, to be kind.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 22:52

They may have a good deal in the making in Bilbao, because otherwise it doesn't seem the wisest choice. Expensive city, not that many Argentinians and Aviron Bayonnais and Biarritz Olympique already being the true Basque rugby teams...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 22:53

Armchair Fan wrote:They may have a good deal in the making in Bilbao, because otherwise it doesn't seem the wisest choice. Expensive city, not that many Argentinians and Aviron Bayonnais and Biarritz Olympique already being the true Basque rugby teams...

Well, that might be just an unwise bet. We saw other unwise bets here recently. Wouldn't be a first.

And here you are a question: why would someone in Bilbao pay for them? If someone in Bilbao wants a PRO16 team, just own one and bid, showing there is money and the interest to hire non-Spanish stars. That's the same question I posed about Cheetahs in Russia. Jaguares, Cheetahs, those aren't valuable sports brands to make a foreigner business guy to buy/invest on them and relocate. Rugby has a severe transcontinental/team-in-exile mania.

So, it is maybe a Bilbao-based Argie businessman just wanting to help? Amen.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 23:57

Armchair Fan wrote:Now they say Jaguares could join Pro 14

Crazy idea because the team the Jaguares would put out won’t be anyways competitive as all their key players have signed for different clubs. ‘Home’ crowds in Bilbao would be non-existent so wouldn’t look great on tv. This would be another Southern Kings in the Pro16 and they don’t need it. Argentina need to work on SLAR although I do understand they want an outlet for a higher number of players to be professional.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 01:22

tryman wrote:

Crazy idea because the team the Jaguares would put out won’t be anyways competitive as all their key players have signed for different clubs. ‘Home’ crowds in Bilbao would be non-existent so wouldn’t look great on tv. This would be another Southern Kings in the Pro16 and they don’t need it. Argentina need to work on SLAR although I do understand they want an outlet for a higher number of players to be professional.

With one or two seasons of experience, Jaguares make the playoffs effortlessly.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 01:38

Another question is: why the Welsh and the Scottish would allow the Jaguares in? They are already losing to the Irish teams and with the South African teams in PRO16 the chances of seeing Scarlets, Ospreys, Cardiff, Glasgow, Edinburgh champions are dwindling. And let's remember Scotland splits its talent in 2, Wales in 4. And Argentina probably has more players than both. It would be realy unwise for Wales and Scotland. A T2 team in PRO16 wouldn't affect their position, but Jaguares definitly would.

I have just checked. CVC owns 28% of PRO Rugby Ltd. Ireland 24%, Wales 24%, Scotland 12%, Italy 12%. South Africa won't own anything now, but not sure if they'll become stakeowners in the future. Anyway, not sure if new teams admission must be unanimous. It would be interesting to know that.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 03:23

Just seems like Pro 14 is making all the same mistakes Super Rugby made.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 04:22

The headsheds at the Celtic unions really have nothing between the ears.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 14:35

TheStroBro wrote:

I'm on the fence about the South Africans joining but Jaguars to Spain could be a great move. Raises the quality of the proWhatever, Argentina have their team playing again, it could be a stepping stone for Spanish rugby, Jaguares would be able to enter the champions Cup without a problem and Spain isn't that far away. Probably a 2 hour flight to sunny Bilboa.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 14:47

I've got the feeling that for rugby new market is immediately whatever is used once and they don't figure how to make the most out of it. RWC in Japan worked fine, so everybody wanted test matches with Japan. EPCR finals in Bilbao were good, so let's go to Bilbao. But it doesn't make any sense for Jaguares. Even with the assumption that Jaguares might work fine based in Spain (language, expats...), Bizkaia province (where Bilbao is located) is 16th in number of Argentinians living there. It's got 19 times less than Barcelona, 11 less than Madrid and is still very far behind attractive destinations like Balearic Islands, Málaga, Alicante or Valencia.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Ainsthrilln » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 15:55

And Bilbao can be a lot of things, but sunny.

I remember a year they had 20 rainy days in July...

I you want to base an Argentinian team in Spain, Barcelona would be the most logical bet, followed by Madrid, and Bilbao wouldn't be probably even in a Top10 destination.

And good luck raising local support for the team.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby vivaldi » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 18:18

In my view It could work but Bilbao is not the best choice. Could be that same promoters for Test Matches in San Sebastian back in 2016 and 2108 and Bilbao EPCR Finals are behind this? At that time they were aiming Pumas and dreaming All Blacks to play in Anoeta

Barcelona is a cosmopolitan city, visitors all year long, experience in hosting sports events and with the largest community of Argentines. Choose a not big venue, 10k maximum and matches on weekends between 20h-21h CET (16h-17h Buenos Aires time).

Not sure If it is a good business for Jaguares and Pro14, but If there is a country for this experiment, It is Spain.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 18:28

dropkick wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I'm on the fence about the South Africans joining but Jaguars to Spain could be a great move. Raises the quality of the proWhatever, Argentina have their team playing again, it could be a stepping stone for Spanish rugby, Jaguares would be able to enter the champions Cup without a problem and Spain isn't that far away. Probably a 2 hour flight to sunny Bilboa.

Yes, would be good if a contract could be arranged so that they are responsible for getting some of the best Spanish talent involved. Most if them will be based in that area anyway.
Think the French will not be very happy as I am sure they are actively looking at the Basque Country for development players.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 18:30

vivaldi wrote:In my view It could work but Bilbao is not the best choice. Could be that same promoters for Test Matches in San Sebastian back in 2016 and 2108 and Bilbao EPCR Finals are behind this? At that time they were aiming Pumas and dreaming All Blacks to play in Anoeta

Barcelona is a cosmopolitan city, visitors all year long, experience in hosting sports events and with the largest community of Argentines. Choose a not big venue, 10k maximum and matches on weekends between 20h-21h CET (16h-17h Buenos Aires time).

Not sure If it is a good business for Jaguares and Pro14, but If there is a country for this experiment, It is Spain.

Agree with this, but if the promoters are looking at integrating Spanish players in the squad, then Bilbao is better. If it is to maximise profit then Barcelona is far better.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 18:33

I'm not that optimistic. Bringing in a foreign team into a developing country has plenty of odds of failing. And even if it succeeded I remain skeptical regarding how much it would bring to the local scene (Barcelona Dragons were moderately successful and NFL remained largely unpopular). But if it happens, I hope it is with the best starting block possible and I fear Bilbao would be a terminal mistake.

By the way, this kind of crazy news is more usual among Pro 14 management than UAR. I still remember when one of its managers told The Rugby Paper that they had considered deals with Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Real Sociedad...

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 21:03

Why would Spaniards support an Argentine team? This makes as much sense as the Cheetahs being South African but moving to play in that Eastern Europe Continental project thing.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 21:15

Not really, I can assure you there is some degree of sympathy for Argentina whenever they don't play against Spain, just like there probably is in the rest of South America. I have even seen Jaguares t-shirts (not Pumas, Jaguares!) in my hometown. But Basque Country is a horrible choice with Bayonne and Biarritz well culturally established and without as many Argentinians as in Barcelona or almost any Mediterranean city with over 500k inhabitants.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum