Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Superliga Americana de Rugby (SLAR)

Postby geuvanio22 » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 20:13

Jesus Christ, what's happening to the first row?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby geuvanio22 » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 20:18

Josh also seems to be performing bellow his potential, same thing against Peñarol... It would be nice to see Giudice getting more play time, he was a good surprise

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 20:20

HT - Cobras 08-22 Olimpia.

Olimpia demolishing in the scrum. But the final 20 min had more territory for the Cobras.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 20:25

Raven wrote:Very boring game... Cafeteros may be already feeling the 4 day turnaround between games, and Peñarol isn’t playing very expensive (or expansive for that matter) rugby.
I’m wondering what the game plan will be like for the Teros when they get their players from overseas.

Yeah I saw the scoreline and oof. The jaguares game was a blowout but it ended with pretty good results. This game seems to have almost nothing.

It’s a big gap for new teams but Rome wasn’t built in one day. This will be great for their test matches later in the year.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 20:36

geuvanio22 wrote:Jesus Christ, what's happening to the first row?

We lost the first row to covid, we'll suffer in this Chilean leg. Only expect a full Brazilian scrum in Uruguay.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 20:52

Terrible. Realy terrible.

Postby Raven » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 21:24

FT Cobras 8 - 44 Olimpia.

Painful for the Brazilian side.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 23:15

Postby Raven » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 00:57

Three one sided games on the SLAR Thursday fixtures..

Penarol 45 - 3 Cafeteros
Cobras 8 - 44 Olimpia
Selknam 8 - 65 Jaguares

The latter didn't even have a 'great game', Selknam again had yellow cards (2) They'll have to do something about their discipline as it's costing them.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 01:06

Having seen a few games I keep having the same impression... This is not a professional league. Not what SLAR aimed at last year, at least. It's a glorified Americas Pacific Challenge, a development competition that, of course, any other region sees with jealousy, but really poor as professional competition.

I get it's important to keep SLAR going whatever happens this year to bounce back in 2022, but still, shit... For years South American rugby approach to high performance was that professionalism was something more than just paying players. And I'm sure staff and facilities are OK. But it's not attractive as it is. And if a professional competition doesn't look good, doesn't have variety in players, in results, even in all what surrounds the playing pitch... all what generates buzz about a tournament. They even dropped streaming for the rest of the world. I guess it's all about survival for this season, but it doesn't look good.

Postby Raven » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 01:44

I agree with you to a certain extent. I'm not taking away from any of these teams -and their followers- all the efforts made to have a League going in a very difficult scenario. Surely if things where the same way they were a year back we'd see better players, no Matt Giteau's or Chris Robshaw's but a few Tongans, Fijians and Namibians with RWC experience. In this current format it does have a bit of a feel of a (South)Americas Rugby Championship with different jerseys, but ultimately the main goal will be achieved, as I think it will certainly help the Condores / Tupis and Teros when they get to play Canada or USA.

However, as a "product" of an "International League", it might be failing as you pointed out. I don't see this being any better than the Peroni Top10 or Division de Honor (or much worse than that) right now.

One thing is certain, it's a huge step back for Jaguares. You can see they play at another pace and nobody wants to see that in any League. I insisted like a stubborn baby that UAR had to pull up their socks and field 2 sides somehow to spread their talent while creating a bit of a surprise factor, they certainly have more than enough to help Cafeteros and Olimpia as they have while fielding 2 entire squads of their own. But I gather that both the pandemic added to the own internal affairs after a traumatic 2020 may have attempted against any possibility of that happening. Fingers crossed the fan base stay loyal cause if we keep seeing all of the Jaguares XV games like the last 2 nobody's gonna give a rats ass when they play again. 1st match carried the uncertainty of the League's level, specially being Cafeteros a very "exotic" and unknown rival, today I expected Selknam to play a bit better and keep the score a bit closer.

However, at the same time we have to put things in perspective, Jaguares XV (with many of the current squad members) also cruised at the Currie Cup First Division in 2019, winning some games by 80 or even 100+ points, so ultimately it is up to Argentina to keep working on something that's beneficial for them.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 02:06

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 14:44

Very poor performance by Selknam side. IMO the HC mistook completely the design of the team in the FH. Carvallo is not comparable to Baronio, how could he compete against Ezcurra? Lack of Discipline is a big issue.

If Jaguares get a good result against Peñarol (very likely), it will be clear that the 5 other franchises are competing for the second spot only. As it was stated previously in this forum , Argentina has too many good young players to field in Jaguares, even after the exodus to Europe and Australia. Jaguares XV is showing that as a team it belongs to a higher Rugby level, it is "warming up" until it gets a place in a more demanding tournament.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 19:02

Armchair Fan wrote:Having seen a few games I keep having the same impression... This is not a professional league. Not what SLAR aimed at last year, at least. It's a glorified Americas Pacific Challenge, a development competition that, of course, any other region sees with jealousy, but really poor as professional competition.

I get it's important to keep SLAR going whatever happens this year to bounce back in 2022, but still, shit... For years South American rugby approach to high performance was that professionalism was something more than just paying players. And I'm sure staff and facilities are OK. But it's not attractive as it is. And if a professional competition doesn't look good, doesn't have variety in players, in results, even in all what surrounds the playing pitch... all what generates buzz about a tournament. They even dropped streaming for the rest of the world. I guess it's all about survival for this season, but it doesn't look good.

But South American rugby is awesome, we even stopped doing charity for North America and got rid of the ARC :roll:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 19:05

ficcp wrote:Very poor performance by Selknam side. IMO the HC mistook completely the design of the team in the FH. Carvallo is not comparable to Baronio, how could he compete against Ezcurra? Lack of Discipline is a big issue.

If Jaguares get a good result against Peñarol (very likely), it will be clear that the 5 other franchises are competing for the second spot only. As it was stated previously in this forum , Argentina has too many good young players to field in Jaguares, even after the exodus to Europe and Australia. Jaguares XV is showing that as a team it belongs to a higher Rugby level, it is "warming up" until it gets a place in a more demanding tournament.

Three one-side matches....

I think it is clear Argentina needs two teams to create some interest there, otherwise, if Jaguares is so dominant, SLAR loses comercial interest....

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sat, 27 Mar 2021, 13:10

victorsra wrote:
ficcp wrote:Very poor performance by Selknam side. IMO the HC mistook completely the design of the team in the FH. Carvallo is not comparable to Baronio, how could he compete against Ezcurra? Lack of Discipline is a big issue.

Three one-side matches....

I think it is clear Argentina needs two teams to create some interest there, otherwise, if Jaguares is so dominant, SLAR loses comercial interest....

Yeah it’s too bad that they never had the opportunity to create two teams. Wait....

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby RugbyToledo » Sat, 27 Mar 2021, 13:36

South America needs a competition composed by the most important regional unions of Argentina (Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza...) + some teams of URBA + the national teams of SLAR (Olimpia, Cobras, Selknam, Cafeteros).

Everyone knows this, but the main problems is the lack of funding (mainly in Argentina, in a perpetual crisis and problems with currency exchange)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 27 Mar 2021, 16:16

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Sun, 28 Mar 2021, 02:04

RugbyToledo wrote:South America needs a competition composed by the most important regional unions of Argentina (Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza...) + some teams of URBA + the national teams of SLAR (Olimpia, Cobras, Selknam, Cafeteros).

Everyone knows this, but the main problems is the lack of funding (mainly in Argentina, in a perpetual crisis and problems with currency exchange)

URBA wouldn’t approve this. You could make it work with some of the regions. At least that’s what was sort of happening until UAR decided to kick out Ceibos.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 28 Mar 2021, 15:06

Jaguares 20-00 Cobras - W.O. confirmed https://www.slar.rugby/resolucion-sobre ... 22?nid=134

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Sun, 28 Mar 2021, 22:45

Put a team in Buenos Aires, you don't need Urba approval for that. Then put teams in each of the strongest regions, that is Tucumán, Cordoba and Rosario. If you want and can do more, put teams in Mendoza, Salta, Santa Fe, La Plata, Mar del Plata. Clear and simple, we all know how is the way. The UAR can make that but they don't want.

Postby Raven » Mon, 29 Mar 2021, 10:20

Salta wrote:Put a team in Buenos Aires, you don't need Urba approval for that. Then put teams in each of the strongest regions, that is Tucumán, Cordoba and Rosario. If you want and can do more, put teams in Mendoza, Salta, Santa Fe, La Plata, Mar del Plata. Clear and simple, we all know how is the way. The UAR can make that but they don't want.

I don't think they don't want to, it's more that they cannot afford it. Furthermore, Provincial Unions have been given the liberty to apply and put together a professional franchise of their own should they be interested (providing they meet SLARs criteria) and none of them have been able to do so.
UAR on the other hand has had to let go a lot of people in recent months, some people were even fired and re-hired in different -downgraded- roles. I do however have the feeling that, given the scenario of playing in bubbles with almost no international flight costs, no need to organize home games, etc, if they would have honoured the contract with Ceibos they could have at least kept a second franchise of some sorts.

This season is not even half done and we are talking about the next one already, but I'd like to think there'll be one or 2 team additions for 2022.

victorsra wrote:Jaguares 20-00 Cobras - W.O. confirmed https://www.slar.rugby/resolucion-sobre ... 22?nid=134

Not surprised with the outcome, with the current state of things in South America, added to the 4 day match turnaround plus the difference Jaguares XV is showing, I don't even think it's worth to play it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 29 Mar 2021, 13:49

The bigest flaw is that nobody outside South American media and Americas Rugby News is talking about it or is at least aware of it. Not even Ultimate Rugby has SLAR in its tournaments. It is not in SofaScore either, that has also almost everything pro and some amateur stuff. URBA is in Sofa Score, btw, but not SLAR. Even more astonishing, ItsRugby doesn't have SLAR 2021 (but they have still the 2020 season....). And no streaming for outside South America.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 29 Mar 2021, 15:20

Itsrugby was a bit long to add the 2020 season. And they are now facing trouble with their server I think (one big french server compagny had a fire a few days ago, it causes trouble for many sites).

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 29 Mar 2021, 17:25

Yes, but the other competitions are ok there.

Cobras for tomorrow, match against Cafeteros:

Lineups for both sides: https://www.portaldorugby.com.br/notici ... -cafeteros

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum