Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Postby snapper37 » Tue, 13 Oct 2020, 21:10

Canalina wrote:Agree with Snapper, I can't see the problem on having the hosts and the World Champions together

If anything it makes it interesting, Great world cup opener though :)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Sat, 21 Nov 2020, 04:14

For Brazil, this series is also of major significance ahead of the qualifying process, still to be announced, for Sudamérica Rugby.

https://www.world.rugby/news/603878/por ... d-cup-2023

Just read the World Rugby article on Brazil vs Portugal and noticed the above quote.

So I guess the Americas Rugby World Cup qualification process is still not finalised. Has the Americas Rugby Championship and Americas Rugby Challenge finished????

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 21 Nov 2020, 08:50

Sudamerica Rugby wants 1 direct spot in the RWC. This could be either via the South American Championship or the Americas Rugby Championship. The most likely thing to happen now is that the best South American and the best North American in the ARC will qualify, but this is yet TBC.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Sat, 21 Nov 2020, 12:26

antlat wrote:
For Brazil, this series is also of major significance ahead of the qualifying process, still to be announced, for Sudamérica Rugby.

https://www.world.rugby/news/603878/por ... d-cup-2023

Just read the World Rugby article on Brazil vs Portugal and noticed the above quote.

So I guess the Americas Rugby World Cup qualification process is still not finalised. Has the Americas Rugby Championship and Americas Rugby Challenge finished????

The process has not been initiated yet. As the ARC will be used as a qualification competition , it requires 2 consecutives tournaments to offer the teams the same number of games as a host and away.

It is hard to understand why the teams qualified on RWC 2019(12) will be sorted based on the DEcember 2019 international ranking, while the qualificarion process will finish in 2022...more than 2 years later. It seems thar WR does not believe that dynamics during 2020, 2021 and 2022 will change too much the order established by the last RWC. So far , this policy is quite unfair to Argentina and in favour of Wales.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 04:44

How to draw the RWC 2023 logo. Well, I'm pretty sure I will not be able to do it even if it seems relatively easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMW-jquZeSk

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 12:40

American qualifiers have changed. Probably fairer but still not as fair as it could and a bit complicated for my taste
https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/vi ... 1124192217

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 13:10

Why do it simple when you can do complicated ?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 13:19

This is not a victory. It is a terrible lose for rugby in the Americas. Devalues the main competition (ARC), creating a big load of more un-needed matches. June-July matches? Means SLAR shorter. November matches? Means less intercontinental, which also means more matches against the same opponents. Horrible, we are basically only playing in the Americas. I understand that ok, by 2021 COVID might make everything still difficult, but still it is the second semestre. Why would you kill November tests???

And Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Colombia would play in a SINGLE VENUE. We are going back to the 1990s. And in the next month the 2 best teams will play Uruguay again in a single venue (guess WHERE?). Uruguay being ridiculously benefited. Backwards completely.

Worst exemple when sports structures are decided on a spite.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 13:33

Is it not the same as playing the ARC, but more intricate? I mean, with this format North America could gain both the direct spots, the exact thing that SAR wanted (for same reason) to avoid.
They claimed to need a direct spot instead of two possible spots (and it was not easy to understand why), then they modified the format making it the same of ARC but more complicate and they call it a political victory :geek:
Maybe there's something wrong in the newspaper report

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 13:35

Single venues! Do you know what that means? Uruguay will most likely play all matches at home to go to the RWC. If Chile or Brazil host the first phase, the other one won't have played at home either. That's terrible.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 13:42

Canalina wrote:Is it not the same as playing the ARC, but more intricate?

It's way worse. You deprive (probably) Brazil and Chile of playing USA and Canada and you reduce the number of home games, test matches against European teams...

It's fair from a continental POV, it's worse for the particular interests of the nations involved in.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 13:51

victorsra wrote:
And Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Colombia would play in a SINGLE VENUE. We are going back to the 1990s. And in the next month the 2 best teams will play Uruguay again in a single venue (guess WHERE?). Uruguay being ridiculously benefited. Backwards completely.

This Is crazy. It should be in Argentina, and URU should play both tournaments.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 14:32

So for RAN? Will Mexico get games with Canada and USA?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 15:06

BTW, Brazil NEVER hosted Uruguay in a RWC Qualy match. NEVER*

And last time Brazil hosted Chile was in 2005.

*In fact, although the 2017 South American Championship was the main one of the 2019 Qualy, the 2016 South American Championship counts just because the bottom team (Paraguay) needed to play a Repechage against Colombia (champions of the 2nd division). Which means Brazil hosted indeed Uruguay in 2016, but, come on, that doesn't count! Brazil played Uruuay away in the 2017 match.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 15:18

Armchair Fan wrote:American qualifiers have changed. Probably fairer but still not as fair as it could and a bit complicated for my taste
https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/vi ... 1124192217

If we're going to do this nonsense RAN and SudAmerica need to be decoupled completely.

dwpeate wrote:So for RAN? Will Mexico get games with Canada and USA?

That would be, not competitive.

What pisses me off about this whole thing in general is that World Rugby put out no press release, there's no information coming about of RAN, and the rugby world is just tweeting about Dominici (which is ok, but not important on the governance side).

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 15:43

I guess for me there’s still many unanswered questions, such as how the the lower ranked South American teams will get a shot, will they be part of the process? Will they perhaps have a tournament and the winner plays off against the lowest ranked team out of Paraguay and Colombia. Then as someone else points out how does all the Caribbean countries and Mexico fit into this process.

I guess this is just an journalist source and not the offical source but of course WR have got out and made a complicated process that gives the top ranked teams preferential treatment, where have we seen this before? Where losers get second chances and there not being just a straight knockout structure or table competition like the ARC to decide things. I guess the one venue idea is to save money.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 15:48

nick511 wrote:I guess for me there’s still many unanswered questions, such as how the the lower ranked South American teams will get a shot, will they be part of the process? Will they perhaps have a tournament and the winner plays off against the lowest ranked team out of Paraguay and Colombia. Then as someone else points out how does all the Caribbean countries and Mexico fit into this process.

I guess this is just an journalist source and not the offical source but of course WR have got out and made a complicated process that gives the top ranked teams preferential treatment, where have we seen this before? Where losers get second chances and there not being just a straight knockout structure or table competition like the ARC to decide things. I guess the one venue idea is to save money.

The SudAmerica Rugby part seems to be more well thought out. However, when it comes to RAN, the rest of the countries up here are not competitive and thus not included yet.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 15:57

Yeah, very well thought to benefit Uruguay. They are set to play Chile and Brazil at home for the RWC spot!

Nothing new, and that why it is outrageous, as this was supposed to be the cycle where a fair system would prevail.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 16:01

I guess the one venue idea is to save money.

Save money???? Come on, they are deniying countries to play at home in the most important matches of the 4-year cycle. Home matches are exactly the events when you make money (activate relationship with sponsors and draw better attendances) and draw media attention (local media attenting home matches)!!! That's a false idea. Anti-commercial! That's ludicrous to use the "save money" argument for the most important even in 4 years.

I do understand if covid is the reason, but in six months things can change regarding it. You first do the ideal plan, than change if covid is a problem. Not the opposite!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby Pedro1 » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 16:16

victorsra wrote:Yeah, very well thought to benefit Uruguay. They are set to play Chile and Brazil at home for the RWC spot!

But only after Brazil and Chile battle it out with Colombia and Paraguay. We need to prove we deserve the honor of challenging Uruguay. Just like it used to be done regarding Argentina 20 years ago.

Rugby always taking 2 steps back so we can take 1 forward! Truly a "thinking man's game".

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 16:25

Doesn't matter. The same goes for Paraguay and Colombia. If they manage to beat Brazil or Chile, they'll have denied the chance to play at home the most important matches as well. Shame.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 16:34

I just don't understand how they can call it "a political victory": they haven't obtained what they wanted (a granted RWC spot for South America) and they ended abruptly the brief tradition of the American Six Nations. Maybe this all was forced by economical reasons, but please don't call it political victory

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 16:46

Canalina wrote:I just don't understand how they can call it "a political victory": they haven't obtained what they wanted (a granted RWC spot for South America) and they ended abruptly the brief tradition of the American Six Nations. Maybe this all was forced by economical reasons, but please don't call it political victory

There is a pyrrhic victory: access to America 1 spot and South America best team having three shots at qualifying (America 1 playoff, America 2 playoff and repechage) just as Canada had for 2019.

Postby TuMachNach » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 16:51

WR made it official in their page:
https://www.world.rugby/news/605866/el- ... d-cup-2023

WR stated the reason of those changes: Covid-19 won't allow a normal ARC 2021/22. I don't find this reason enough to take separate ways. WR, also, leaves an open window for ARC in next RWC cycles but I don't think it will come back.

BTW, why not playing a Sudamericano 6N instead of those 2 mini tournaments? IMO, it's not fair for those countries playing in June 2021. Even more, will Colombia have their players playing abroad in June 2021?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 25 Nov 2020, 16:53

Salta wrote:
victorsra wrote:

This Is crazy. It should be in Argentina, and URU should play both tournaments.

In Argentina would be a ridiculous as well. Nobody would care for the tournament, Argentina is already qualified.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum