Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 15 Mar 2021, 17:31

So, Tahiti is IN and Germany & Poland OUT without playing single qualifier?

And RE voted for Beaumont, and culled RE members then again for Morariu?

Where is logic?

:::

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Mar 2021, 20:53

Still no Tahiti in the WR's members page https://www.world.rugby/organisation/membership

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 02:33

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:So, Tahiti is IN and Germany & Poland OUT without playing single qualifier?

And RE voted for Beaumont, and culled RE members then again for Morariu?

Where is logic?

:::

Do we know for certain the RET teams can't qualify?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 10:54

Huge success for the first selling of city / teams packaging. Everything is sold. 250K connections yesterday to buy tickets ! :shock:

A new phase will be launch friday.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby CraigChalmers » Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 13:43

vino_93 wrote:Huge success for the first selling of city / teams packaging. Everything is sold. 250K connections yesterday to buy tickets ! :shock:

I think to call it a huge success it pushing it somewhat - ticketing site was rather ropey, and whilst I personally managed to get tickets without too many problems, I know of plenty of people who even when they did get in (and before tickets were sold out) weren't actually able to buy tickets. Seems mad to me that with that level of demand, we are still using a first come, first served method of selling tickets!

And that's before mentioning tickets going on sale when 40% of the teams are still unknown.. Are there 'follow my team' packs set aside for each of the qualifiers until teams secure their places, or do fans of these nations just have to live off scraps?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 18:37

Are they fans from those nations ? Really ? Didn't know that it exists ... :)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 20:33

RAN communicated few minutes ago that, due to the pandemic, the North America qualifiers are not going to be played and so Canada and Usa will be directly admitted to the final phase of the panamerican qualifiers.
Hard times for all :|

https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/usa-cana ... lications/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 21:09

Interesting, so they were planning to involved Mexico and the Caribbeans.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 21:11

I thought that was only a bad European innovation... Oh, wait:

Armchair Fan wrote:Will there be full qualifiers everywhere? I don't think it's the case in America and let's see what happens in Asia...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 21:40

As I understand in Asia it is only South Korea, HK and Malaysia.

Anyway, South America also excluded Peru, Venezuela, Costa Rica and Guatemala.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 07:27

To say there's a lot of disgruntled people out there is an understatement. Another year with no TestRugby.

Why do we follow this sport? How Covid is becoming excuse for undermining competition is beyond me.

Undeserving and poorly performing countries are getting rewarded.

Postby Raven » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 10:47

It may not be worth getting into a debate about the decision made by RAN cause there are probably quite a lot of things to be taken into consideration ie. the pandemic alone has numerous hurdles: sanitary protocols that need to be made / quarantine / costs of playing games at closed venues, etc. Also the fact that AFAIK at least in Mexico they have not played any rugby since last year -because of the pandemic- and them being 100% amateur must also not be taken lightly. Ultimately, one doesn't have to be a genius to understand that there's at least a 50/60+ point difference between the big 2 and the rest.

However, what strikes me is that although the USA & Canada would ultimately prevail, there's no intention to give a mere opportunity to "the following best ranked team" in North America to at least showcase themselves. World Rugby talks about new markets, growing the game and so on, and I get that timing right now is awful to be romantic about it, but at least "try" (???) to help more nations develop their game? Mexico has risen from the 76 spot to 43 by beating Paraguay in 2019!

I the other continents it's not ideal but I don't know how many teams from the RET and below can actually genuinely 'fight' for a Europe 1/2 or Repechage spot, today, probably none, but at least we have 6 giving it a go (7 actually, since Belgium v Netherlands will be played and that would be the first elimination)
SAR included Paraguay + Colombia with the usual Brazil, Uruguay and Chile line up. Not including Venezuela (78 in World Ranking) with all the political issues they even had before the pandemic that prevented them from playing in South American championships, or Peru (73)...Costa Rica (93)? Guatemala (unranked in WR)? I am a firm believer that playing better sides makes your team better but with all due respect to those nations, they are miles away from the level shown by the countries that will take part of the qualifiers.
I don't know how many Fijians will actually jump on the field to play for Malaysia on this campaign, but at least there'll be 3 Asian teams for 1 spot, Oceania has less problems with the pandemic, but low ranked sides will be playing for a Play Off place with the loser of the Samoa v Tonga game.

So what's my point? I guess I want to expose my frustration cause every time one thinks that the game IS growing, that chances of seeing more / new teams playing emerges, a blazer decision like this happens. Unavailability to show any Rugby values whatsoever, I was equally frustrated when no contingency appeared for the cancelled fixtures at the RWC2019. The way things are going it wouldn't surprise me that "because of the pandemic and COVID restrictions, World Rugby has now picked the 20 teams they want to have in the RWC".

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 11:19

I just contest a bit a line: "blazer decision". We can't be certain that this decision was taken just by the blazers; maybe they've talked with coaches and athletes, or maybe in the little world of RAN managers, coaches and players form even one only big group because in the Turks&Caicos federation, for example, the chairman can't do just the chairman but must be also a coach or even a player.
I come from a discussion on twitter about the Alpine Ski (my other favoured sport) World Cup finals, where some races have been cancelled and not postponed due to the bad weather; of course the majority of the fans are saying the usual words: "shame", "joke", "moron organizers", "clown organizers", and this despite the rule to not postpone the final races was taken some years ago by World Cup organizers & athletes together. But the organizers are always seen as the culprits. Maybe sometime they are, but maybe not always

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 11:33

Raven wrote:It may not be worth getting into a debate about the decision made by RAN cause there are probably quite a lot of things to be taken into consideration ie. the pandemic alone has numerous hurdles: sanitary protocols that need to be made / quarantine / costs of playing games at closed venues, etc. Also the fact that AFAIK at least in Mexico they have not played any rugby since last year -because of the pandemic- and them being 100% amateur must also not be taken lightly. Ultimately, one doesn't have to be a genius to understand that there's at least a 50/60+ point difference between the big 2 and the rest.

However, what strikes me is that although the USA & Canada would ultimately prevail, there's no intention to give a mere opportunity to "the following best ranked team" in North America to at least showcase themselves. World Rugby talks about new markets, growing the game and so on, and I get that timing right now is awful to be romantic about it, but at least "try" (???) to help more nations develop their game? Mexico has risen from the 76 spot to 43 by beating Paraguay in 2019!

I the other continents it's not ideal but I don't know how many teams from the RET and below can actually genuinely 'fight' for a Europe 1/2 or Repechage spot, today, probably none, but at least we have 6 giving it a go (7 actually, since Belgium v Netherlands will be played and that would be the first elimination)
SAR included Paraguay + Colombia with the usual Brazil, Uruguay and Chile line up. Not including Venezuela (78 in World Ranking) with all the political issues they even had before the pandemic that prevented them from playing in South American championships, or Peru (73)...Costa Rica (93)? Guatemala (unranked in WR)? I am a firm believer that playing better sides makes your team better but with all due respect to those nations, they are miles away from the level shown by the countries that will take part of the qualifiers.
I don't know how many Fijians will actually jump on the field to play for Malaysia on this campaign, but at least there'll be 3 Asian teams for 1 spot, Oceania has less problems with the pandemic, but low ranked sides will be playing for a Play Off place with the loser of the Samoa v Tonga game.

So what's my point? I guess I want to expose my frustration cause every time one thinks that the game IS growing, that chances of seeing more / new teams playing emerges, a blazer decision like this happens. Unavailability to show any Rugby values whatsoever, I was equally frustrated when no contingency appeared for the cancelled fixtures at the RWC2019. The way things are going it wouldn't surprise me that "because of the pandemic and COVID restrictions, World Rugby has now picked the 20 teams they want to have in the RWC".

I understand all what you saying and you have very valid points, As some people know I am from that part of the world and have a vested interest. I know first hand how hard the pandemic has hit the region is actually horrendous, the media only provide half of the picture.

I agree is all amateur and they may no qualify but if they don't keep playing or hone their skills then maybe they may qualify in the no so distant future. my point is all this organisations and by that I mean players, Coaches, administrators etc...need to strive for something and taken this away brings about lethargy with like "what's the point" a whole generation of players maybe lost or have to rebuild in the next 4 year cycle and then be competitive in the 4 years after that.

I know a lot of this federations are told after the fact and World rugby, RAN etc are making decisions in a matter of fait accompli I feel it could have been handled better and have better contingencies.

COVID has caused a lot of confusion and stress but it doesn't give sports administrators of all stripes a blank cheque for their decision making.
Last edited by Thomas on Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 13:40

vino_93 wrote:Huge success for the first selling of city / teams packaging. Everything is sold. 250K connections yesterday to buy tickets ! :shock:

Apparently a lot of people had trouble buying tickets online.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 13:47

Raven wrote:It may not be worth getting into a debate about the decision made by RAN cause there are probably quite a lot of things to be taken into consideration ie. the pandemic alone has numerous hurdles: sanitary protocols that need to be made / quarantine / costs of playing games at closed venues, etc. Also the fact that AFAIK at least in Mexico they have not played any rugby since last year -because of the pandemic- and them being 100% amateur must also not be taken lightly. Ultimately, one doesn't have to be a genius to understand that there's at least a 50/60+ point difference between the big 2 and the rest.

The pandemic has actually exposed a lot. The lack of alternate plans for qualifiers, the poor handling of the women’s World Cup, Georgia being ignored for the Autumn Nations Cup and only playing because no-one else could make it, now this has exposed just how little progress is being made. For every story of Colombia making progress there are 20 other nations lagging behind.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 14:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:

Apparently a lot of people had trouble buying tickets online.

Yes it looks yesterday it was terrible ...
Anyway, everything is sold. In less than 24h every time, and despite problems, the first 350K tickets in sales are sold. I plan to go to one game or two, that might be hard to find a place ... let's hope it will be less crazy for individual tickets opening !

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 14:54

thatrugbyguy wrote:

The pandemic has actually exposed a lot. The lack of alternate plans for qualifiers, the poor handling of the women’s World Cup, Georgia being ignored for the Autumn Nations Cup and only playing because no-one else could make it, now this has exposed just how little progress is being made. For every story of Colombia making progress there are 20 other nations lagging behind.

Playing better teams makes you a better team when the differences are not huge, at least when we talk about rugby. This said, it is all about having an open system, with promotion-relegation that allows any team from bottom to top.

In FIFA, the situation is different because you can field San Marino against Germany. It might become a 7-0 but it is not dangerous and the same San Marino can play like a 1-3 against Slovenia that can draw Germany. In rugby, the Rugby Europe system is the best suited for the game. But Cartellianism screws the most logical system to grow rugby. Once your country can see the top in the horizon, you can work to draw support.
Last edited by victorsra on Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Raven » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 15:08

I'm not one who rants constantly nor will I defend anybody as a fervent advocate cause as you point out @Canalina, I don't have an official word from anybody involved in this.

I do find it hard to believe though, that with the "efforts" done -given their limited resources- and the mid / long-term plans the Mexican Federation has made (such as hiring a professional coach like Ruben Duque, the fact that they have started to eye players over the border to represent the Serpientes with a bit more of ambition, plus their intention of having a more active role in the region and within the country by creating more academies and HPCs, not to mention the 10 year plan that included eventually getting an MLR franchise) they have 'decided' to renounce -with a heavy heart notwithstanding- on the possibility of playing USA and Canada.

Don't you think that if there's 2 places at stake there should be some sort of Play Off path towards them, with at least an extra side? Surely a bubble in USA (after all, the Arrows will play the entire MLR season there) is doable...

Before anybody says it, I think it goes without saying, "who am I to be asking for explanations?" :)

Let's face it, if logic and ranking places prevail, then Paraguay and Colombia have very little chances of making it to the next round, yet SARugby includes them.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Wed, 07 Apr 2021, 09:56

So anew all tickets from packaging sales were sold in less than 5 hours ... I hope it will be less crazy for individual tickets, otherwise it will be tough to have tickets.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum