Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Qualifying

Postby snapper37 » Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 18:26

Canalina wrote:Nice table, I've already reposted it.
The tournaments is indeed becoming a bit elephantiac: twelve or thirteen days before two games are a lot, not easy for the fans to keep the tension. On the other hand it's true that Six Nations has often a two-weeks hiatus between two rounds, so maybe if it's good for 6N it could be good for RWC too

People aren't traveling around the world to watch the 6nations.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 19:03

vino_93 wrote:Bordeaux is a color in french too, it comes from the Bordeaux wine ;)
And for Lille, if you want the right pronounciation, don't say the "e" :D Just "Lil".

We say "Lilla", in italian. And "Bordeaux" is just Bordeaux, like in french

snapper37 wrote:The final qualifier is going be a great little tourney in its own right.
Romania, Canada, tonga/samoa , Kenya

There was a news just today: Tonga is seeking a national team coach, to bring the team to the RWC

snapper37 wrote:
The tournaments is indeed becoming a bit elephantiac: twelve or thirteen days before two games are a lot, not easy for the fans to keep the tension. On the other hand it's true that Six Nations has often a two-weeks hiatus between two rounds, so maybe if it's good for 6N it could be good for RWC too

People aren't traveling around the world to watch the 6nations.

I haven't thought to that; I was thinking just to the tv-spectators

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 26 Feb 2021, 20:30

Canalina wrote:
vino_93 wrote:Bordeaux is a color in french too, it comes from the Bordeaux wine ;)

snapper37 wrote:The final qualifier is going be a great little tourney in its own right.

There was a news just today: Tonga is seeking a national team coach, to bring the team to the RWC

No. Tonga and Samoa will probably qualify as Oceania 1 and Asia/Pacific. It would be a shock to see one of them in the Repechage. It is most likely an Asian team like Hong Kong or Korea that will be there.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby CraigChalmers » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 11:10

The 6 Nations is a different event entirely though - most, if not all, travelling fans are going to go home and go back to work between fixtures (and to be honest, how many people actually do every fixture? I know one or two that do, but I think most people will do one away game at most per season).

Scotland having 14 days between their first and second games works OK for me - it's easy enough to do a long weekend in Marseille and then return home until our tournament resumes. But then with the tournament in France, it's feasible I could go to all of Scotland's pool matches and only need to take 2 days off work - though it would mean a lot of flights.. Fast forward 4 years though, and lets say we have the same schedule in Australia - that becomes a bit of a nightmare, and to be honest, I would rule out attending that opening game pretty much straight away!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 19:41

victorsra wrote:
Canalina wrote:

No. Tonga and Samoa will probably qualify as Oceania 1 and Asia/Pacific. It would be a shock to see one of them in the Repechage. It is most likely an Asian team like Hong Kong or Korea that will be there.

Fair enough. It will be a Canada v Romania battle. and my money isn't on Canada

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 19:47

I think Europe will have a pretty tough dispute between Russia, Spain, Romania and Portugal. It will be the 2nd best of them playing against Canada.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 19:51

Are you sure canada will be there ? Last results weren't good.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 20:28

Well, Chile is indeed improving... it wouldn't be a shock to see Chile in the Repechage, although I still believe it will be Canada the 3rd best Americas team.

Brazil had a very bad 2020. I know most of the national team guys and they are very excited and confident in their work, while the new Argentine coach (Emiliano Bergamaschi) may help a lot to improve our pack, but I honestly think it is unlikely to see Brazil in the final stage. I hope to be wrong, obviously.

Also, it would be very nice to see South Korea beating Hong Kong. Any chances?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 20:43

Yes, South Korea can definitely cause an upset against Hong Kong as Hong Kong have unfortunately stopped their professional program, but that doesn`t mean that its current players cant keep playing. Also, if Canada somehow becomes worse than it already is now, Brazil would be my next bet for the 3rd spot. :thumbup:

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sat, 27 Feb 2021, 23:29

victorsra wrote:Well, Chile is indeed improving... it wouldn't be a shock to see Chile in the Repechage, although I still believe it will be Canada the 3rd best Americas team.

Brazil had a very bad 2020. I know most of the national team guys and they are very excited and confident in their work, while the new Argentine coach (Emiliano Bergamaschi) may help a lot to improve our pack, but I honestly think it is unlikely to see Brazil in the final stage. I hope to be wrong, obviously.

Chile will not cause Canada any problems. Romania will, with their big strong and tough forwards, Canada's forwards on the other hand are athletic.... not tough in the sense you would be intimidated by any of them in a dark alley. We need more Rod Snow's, Cudmore, Baugh's.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Pro(p) Kicker » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 07:41

victorsra wrote:Well, Chile is indeed improving... it wouldn't be a shock to see Chile in the Repechage, although I still believe it will be Canada the 3rd best Americas team.

We bring our best players to qualifiers, not the same with the ARC. We should wipe the floor with Chile or Brazil, with a full strength squad. Don't know how'd we do against Uruguay but don't think it's outside our ability to beat them though it seems we're trending in opposite directions.

Postby Raven » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 11:50

It may be a bit too early to jump into all these assumptions, but for the sake of argument, yeah, as most have already mentioned, I'd put money on Georgia and Spain making it as Europe 1 and 2. But can't say for certain if Rumania or Russia will be Europe 3 / Repechage EUR... It will be very close with these last 3.

The Asia / Pacific Play Off will probably see Tonga or Samoa coming through. So Hong Kong (who I think will probably still be a step above the rest if they pick their eligible players) will be the Asian feed.

Americas will be Canada or Uruguay.

Africa, Kenya? Zimbabwe? (no news from there for a while...) Argelia? (are there any chances a new side emerges in the region, in time to qualify to the Final Qualifier?)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 14:12

Chile will not cause Canada any problems. Romania will, with their big strong and tough forwards, Canada's forwards on the other hand are athletic.... not tough in the sense you would be intimidated by any of them in a dark alley. We need more Rod Snow's, Cudmore, Baugh's.

We bring our best players to qualifiers, not the same with the ARC. We should wipe the floor with Chile or Brazil, with a full strength squad. Don't know how'd we do against Uruguay but don't think it's outside our ability to beat them though it seems we're trending in opposite directions.

You both are forgeting the most obvious thing about Chile: they are now full pros that play the whole year together. You never faced a full pro Chilean side (they always played the ARC as amateurs) and Canada doesn't play together the whole year. Chile is coached by Lemoine and they are better than any Condores team Canada played - they almost beat Argentina XV in 2020. That's exactly what Chile wants: a Canada not taking them seriously.

But anyway, with all respect to Romania, the Repechage spot will belong to either Spain or Russia, IMO. Obviously, Romania is pretty capable of even qualifying directly as Europe 2, but the moment suggests differently.

Africa, Kenya? Zimbabwe? (no news from there for a while...) Argelia? (are there any chances a new side emerges in the region, in time to qualify to the Final Qualifier?)

I'd bet on Kenya, but who knows? If full strenght and well prepared, Algeria could be the big thing. Would be nuts to think Algeria (with a full French side) would even be able to beat Namibia? Namibia in the Repechage would make the competition realy hard for Canada and Spain/Russia/Romania/Portugal.

Postby Raven » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 18:55

Boy, are we in need of new teams in the RWC...

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 21:51

victorsra wrote:

You both are forgeting the most obvious thing about Chile: they are now full pros that play the whole year together. You never faced a full pro Chilean side (they always played the ARC as amateurs) and Canada doesn't play together the whole year. Chile is coached by Lemoine and they are better than any Condores team Canada played - they almost beat Argentina XV in 2020. That's exactly what Chile wants: a Canada not taking them seriously.

But anyway, with all respect to Romania, the Repechage spot will belong to either Spain or Russia, IMO. Obviously, Romania is pretty capable of even qualifying directly as Europe 2, but the moment suggests differently.

I'd bet on Kenya, but who knows? If full strenght and well prepared, Algeria could be the big thing. Would be nuts to think Algeria (with a full French side) would even be able to beat Namibia? Namibia in the Repechage would make the competition realy hard for Canada and Spain/Russia/Romania/Portugal.

Chile hasn't faced a full Canadian team either, and we have more players playing pro than ever, Chile won't be a problem. Brazil's scrum will be a problem for Canada (as i've said the Canadian forwards aren't tough enough), but the Brazilian back line won't be. Uruguay will be a hand full and are playing the game at a skill level, speed and fitness level that Canada can't. I stand by it being a Canada vs Romanian qualifying final, the other two nations doesn't matter
Last edited by snapper37 on Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 28 Feb 2021, 23:24

I only had to look at 2 games last year to know Chile are no-longer push overs. The players not only looked bigger than in previous years but their skillset has improved drastically too. Here's the thing about the Americas as a whole, with the exception of course of Argentina it's becoming the most unpredictable region in rugby. In Europe it's still very much Georgia a head of Romania, Spain and Russia. In Asia it's still Japan overwhelming in front of everyone else. In Africa it's Namibia who are a step above the rest. But in north and south America it's really beginning to be a real coin toss as to who's the better team. Currently I would argue it's Uruguay in front but not by much.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 00:28

Raven wrote:Boy, are we in need of new teams in the RWC...

Oh yes...

Since 1999's expansion, only ONE team changed from one RWC to the next. And nobody debuts since Russia in 2011!

1991 - Tonga out / Samoa in (debut)
1995 - Zimbabwe out, USA out, Fiji out / Tonga in, South Africa in (debut), Cote D'Ivoire in (debut)
1999 - Cote D'Ivoire out / Fiji in, USA in, Namibia in (debut), Spain in (debut), Uruguay in (debut)
2003 - Spain out / Georgia in (debut)
2007 - Uruguay out / Portugal in (debut)
2011 - Portugal out / Russia in (debut)
2015 - Russia out / Uruguay in
2019 - Romania out / Russia in

It is a pretty boring history.

2015 and 2019 are the only RWCs without debuts.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 07:00

Well, the REC 2021 is similar to the REC 2020, only the order of games are changed. If the results from 2020 will repeat, then Romania will start the qualification with three losses and two wins and at the end of the year they will be Europe 3. Of course, the position could improve or get worse with the results from 2022.
Romania took part to a Repechage in 2010 as they were Europe 3 (after Georgia and Russia) and they had to play three more games to qualify to RWC 2011, against Ukraine, Tunisia and Uruguay.
Romania ended the qualification for RWC 2011 with 6 wins, 1 tie and 3 losses. If they start the campaign with three losses in 2021 I think it will be much more difficult to get three or even four wins in 2022.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 12:31

Any idea if Rugby Europe TV will broadcast full matches live?

It looks like no Romanian TV station is interested to buy the rights from RE (but will broadcast the home matches)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 12:36

They have done with all games played in 2021 so far, from both REC and REWC.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby snapper37 » Mon, 01 Mar 2021, 16:54

thatrugbyguy wrote:I only had to look at 2 games last year to know Chile are no-longer push overs. The players not only looked bigger than in previous years but their skillset has improved drastically too. Here's the thing about the Americas as a whole, with the exception of course of Argentina it's becoming the most unpredictable region in rugby. In Europe it's still very much Georgia a head of Romania, Spain and Russia. In Asia it's still Japan overwhelming in front of everyone else. In Africa it's Namibia who are a step above the rest. But in north and south America it's really beginning to be a real coin toss as to who's the better team. Currently I would argue it's Uruguay in front but not by much.

America's
Argentina
USA
Uruguay
Canada, It would be a massive upset if either one off them upset the yanks, but Uruguay is on a upward swing and Canada is still in the midst of a slide that hasn't produced any results to stop it. Having more players playing in the MLR will help but results matter.

Postby Natal » Tue, 02 Mar 2021, 11:45

Apologies if it's already been discussed in this thread, as I'm sure it has, but can someone clarify the qualifying process in Europe? Are practically all European countries eliminated from qualifying without playing a match? Has RE abandoned the inter-divisional playoffs that they've used in the past?

Also, how does promotion/relegation fit into the process? If a team is relegated from this year's REC, are other teams' results against that team disregarded for qualifying purposes?

Or perhaps we're all in the dark...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 02 Mar 2021, 13:57

Netherlands faces Belgium. The winner joins Georgia, Romania, Russia, Spain and Portugal. Those are the contenders. All other teams are eliminated.

Postby Natal » Tue, 02 Mar 2021, 14:16

Astonishing. For all the lip-service WR pays to developing emerging (and wealthy) markets like Germany (https://www.world.rugby/news/564996), they've kicked them and most of Europe out of World Cup contention with the sweep of a pen. To call it embarrassing would be a gross understatement.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Tue, 02 Mar 2021, 14:27

There will be no relegation in REC from 2021 to 2022. No other playoffs will take place between european teams. First two teams qualifiy directly to RWC and the third placed will go to an international playoff round like the one that was in Marseille in 2018.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum