Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Japan Rugby

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Japan Rugby

Postby Thomas » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 13:49

Young Aussies turn their backs on Wallabies to declare for Japan

What do people make of this? 3 Australians have declared for Japan.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/300270228/young-aussies-turn-their-backs-on-wallabies-to-declare-for-japan?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Postby Raven » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 14:46

Thomas wrote:Young Aussies turn their backs on Wallabies to declare for Japan

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/300270228/young-aussies-turn-their-backs-on-wallabies-to-declare-for-japan?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What comes around, goes around I guess? :D
Same could go for Fiji / Tonga and the allegiance they managed to lure into wearing green and gold.

It's really shitty to see though. It's kind of weird that Australia U20 isn't a capturing team given the fact that Australia "A" doesn't play that much? Or have I forgotten any recent games?

Guess it's part of the benefits of the 3 year rule that is going to change soon. Although I don't think it'll make any difference. Tier 1 countries should have a limit of foreign born / captured players.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 16:02

I think u20 teams can't capture anymore.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 18:50

Raven wrote:
Thomas wrote:Young Aussies turn their backs on Wallabies to declare for Japan

What comes around, goes around I guess? :D
Same could go for Fiji / Tonga and the allegiance they managed to lure into wearing green and gold.

It's really shitty to see though. It's kind of weird that Australia U20 isn't a capturing team given the fact that Australia "A" doesn't play that much? Or have I forgotten any recent games?

Guess it's part of the benefits of the 3 year rule that is going to change soon. Although I don't think it'll make any difference. Tier 1 countries should have a limit of foreign born / captured players.

Ignorant comment here. We like NZ are the economic centres of the Oceania region and thus attract a fair amount of migration from the Islands. Most of our PI heritage players and by most I mean the vast majority were either born or moved here as young children. As for Koribete and the other Fijian. We never imported them for Rugby. Koribete tool up a League contract.

Postby Raven » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 20:27

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Raven wrote:What comes around, goes around I guess? :D

Ignorant comment here. We like NZ are the economic centres of the Oceania region and thus attract a fair amount of migration from the Islands. Most of our PI heritage players and by most I mean the vast majority were either born or moved here as young children. As for Koribete and the other Fijian. We never imported them for Rugby. Koribete tool up a League contract.

You can explain it the way you want, it doesn't escape the fact that Australia has bulked the squad with several former Fijian U20s, not just Fijian born players who moved to Oz at the age of 2. Bringing them at 17-18 on a school scholarship or at 20 with a club contract (given that school rugby isn't as important in non English speaking countries) makes no difference, to me at least.
You mention 2, did Tainela Tupou move as a young child or was he capable of deciding his fate in the Rugby scene already? Isi Naisarani? Filipo Daugnu? or the recent Australian camp call-ups Suliasi Vunivalu / Seru Uru?

You shouldn't feel attacked by my comment though as I'm not saying Australia is the only nation doing it.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 20:56

Are these players actually good enough to play for either Australia or Japan? If not surely it's a moot point.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 22:39

Raven wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:
Raven wrote:What comes around, goes around I guess? :D

You can explain it the way you want, it doesn't escape the fact that Australia has bulked the squad with several former Fijian U20s, not just Fijian born players who moved to Oz at the age of 2. Bringing them at 17-18 on a school scholarship or at 20 with a club contract (given that school rugby isn't as important in non English speaking countries) makes no difference, to me at least.
You mention 2, did Tainela Tupou move as a young child or was he capable of deciding his fate in the Rugby scene already? Isi Naisarani? Filipo Daugnu? or the recent Australian camp call-ups Suliasi Vunivalu / Seru Uru?

You shouldn't feel attacked by my comment though as I'm not saying Australia is the only nation doing it.

It's not attacked. It's tired. We do have PI players that make the choice to represent us. But the vast majority of the supposed poaches aren't in fact poach. None of the guys you mention were pursued by Rugby for the express purpose of qualifying them. Like Koribete, Vunivalu came for a League contract. The other three to play club footy. But not as part of some greater plan.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 06 Apr 2021, 22:43

Figaro wrote:Are these players actually good enough to play for either Australia or Japan? If not surely it's a moot point.

No.npne of them are good enough for the Japanese national team either. It could be argued.
Last edited by Working Class Rugger on Wed, 07 Apr 2021, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby Hinato » Wed, 07 Apr 2021, 01:56

We walk on the head when Japan has never had such a good pool of players
https://www.asierugby.com/post/pas-asse ... ndial-2023

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby RugbyToledo » Thu, 08 Apr 2021, 20:36

vino_93 wrote:I think u20 teams can't capture anymore.

Correct. Since the Romania-Spain 2019 RWC qualifiers affair.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 08 Apr 2021, 21:37

No, it happened right before, since January 2018.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum