Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Continental Club Rugby League

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Continental Club Rugby League

Postby Rebus » Fri, 16 Oct 2020, 20:33

victorsra wrote:I was thinking about the fact there is Russian interest on Rugby Europe's presidency (and promising money).

I don't think there is any chance of promotion/relegation system in PRO14.

Thats is an interesting point of view , particularly when you look at the proposed investment into the Russian game and desire to host a World Cup. Excellent way to raise the profile of the Russian game

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 05 Dec 2020, 13:27

It's starting. We're in that moment of the year. Yes, Spanish clubs have received communication from FER that we are invited to a new and exciting European competition...

That's according to Chema Valentín-Gamazo, VRAC and clubs association president. He says they are analyzing it and wondering whether a club should go or if it's maybe the right time for a franchise:
https://www.ondacero.es/emisoras/andalu ... eb7e4.html

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 02:28

So, which other countries have been notified?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 04:01

Armchair Fan wrote:It's starting. We're in that moment of the year. Yes, Spanish clubs have received communication from FER that we are invited to a new and exciting European competition...

That's according to Chema Valentín-Gamazo, VRAC and clubs association president. He says they are analyzing it and wondering whether a club should go or if it's maybe the right time for a franchise:
https://www.ondacero.es/emisoras/andalu ... eb7e4.html

Personally, I think the franchise model would be better from a perspective of deriving the most benefit for talent and level of competitiveness. Also, preventing one club(s) from being able to use their participation to warehouse talent. I think a country like Spain should look to enter 2 franchises to start. One from Valladolid being the home of the two most competitive clubs and Madrid. The city/region with the most individual players. With plans to slowly introduce more franchises if the competition proves viable and as depth is developed to support.

I also think it should be split into East and West divisions ideally with 6 teams in each. So the two Spanish would be joined by a single Portuguese, Dutch, Belgian and German franchise/club in the West with Russia, Romania and Georgia providing the 6 teams in the East. This would be to address issues like travel etc.

I think the goal for the likes of the Dutch, Belgians, Portuguese and Germans should be to eventually field two franchises a piece with Spain fielding at least 3 likely 4 down the track.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 04:14

thatrugbyguy wrote:So, which other countries have been notified?

From previous reports they are targeting the top 8 European based nations from the REC and RET. So that would be Spain, Georgia, Russia, Romania, Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. If they were cheeky enough they could even target the likes of the Swiss based Serviette Genf RC who are working their way through the French system. Personally, I hope they are talking to every nation in both divisions.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 19:29

A franchise model can have clubs anyway in theory. Just like Benetton Treviso (a club) is in PRO14. It is only a matter of whoever has money to bid.

And it also would be crucial to see Rugby Europe becoming a EPCR partner, with a vote there.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum