Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

New world calendar

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

New world calendar

Postby victorsra » Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:55

So, according to the Telegraph, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... se-global/ , a new unified world calendar could have:

- March to Mid April: Six Nations and The Rugby Championship (and other national teams competitions, like ARC, REC... which is better for Russia, Romania, BTW)
- Mid April to September - Super Rugby (or whatever structure will be in place in the SH)
- October and November - Tests (or Nations Championship/Cup aka "World League")... and the RWC every 4 years
- European leagues: don't change? September to June?

Sounds good, in fact. The only two major issue would be in Australia rugby finals competing with NRL/AFL finals

In the Americas, ARC going back to open the season could mean this calendar:

- Late February to the end of March: ARC
- April to August: MLR/SLAR (which sounds better for Arrows, RUNY or NEFJ, that would be able to play the whole season at home properly).

I like such structure. Real improvement.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: New world calendar

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 02:59

But I love the Six Nations in February. Do you have any idea how cold, dark, wet and miserable life is in Britain in the winter? The Six Nations is the light at the end of the tunnel. We start watching it at the start of February and by the middle of March when it finishes our winter is over. If we don't have the Six Nations to watch what do you expect us to do between Christmas and spring? I'm sure the World Rugby board members can go somewhere nice and warm for February, but most Britons will be stuck on this dark wretched island, and they want to take away our only joy.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 May 2020, 04:05

That's why you invented rugby in the first place :)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 May 2020, 05:16

The biggest problem is with European club competitions, especially the Top14 and the Premiership. Those two leagues are most probably the only two self-financing rugby leagues in the world and the will not be content to have their best players only in mid April to then finish their season in June.
But yeah, for every country with chances for a white winter, this makes much more sense (I still have to add, that i.e. we had snow in March in Bavaria for at least the last 10 years).
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 May 2020, 05:37

It doesn't change almost anything. Those leagues would have 2 and 1/2 months after the 6N (late April, May and June). That's the reality that existed until 2018, when the tests were in June. They had also 2 and 1/2 months after the 6N (late March, April and May).

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 May 2020, 06:00

victorsra wrote:It doesn't change almost anything. Those leagues would have 2 and 1/2 months after the 6N (late April, May and June). That's the reality that existed until 2018, when the tests were in June. They had also 2 and 1/2 months after the 6N (late March, April and May).

But it is indeed closer to the season final. I think it makes a huge difference, if the 6N in 2019 was played until Mid April, there would have been only 4 regular season match days left in the Top14 (which btw had its final on June 15th that year).
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Mon, 18 May 2020, 06:34

For the Russian team this is a very good change. But it is not known how this will affect the club calendar. You know that on the advice of Lin Jones, Artemyev wanted to transfer the championship to the fall-spring system. I have been explaining to them for many months that in our climate this is complete nonsense. What the season in the Premier League might look like under the new system. Start of the season in July, then August and September. Mega break inside the season from October to April. End of season in May and June. How do you like this trash?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 18 May 2020, 07:58

Chester-Donnelly wrote:But I love the Six Nations in February. Do you have any idea how cold, dark, wet and miserable life is in Britain in the winter? The Six Nations is the light at the end of the tunnel. We start watching it at the start of February and by the middle of March when it finishes our winter is over. If we don't have the Six Nations to watch what do you expect us to do between Christmas and spring? I'm sure the World Rugby board members can go somewhere nice and warm for February, but most Britons will be stuck on this dark wretched island, and they want to take away our only joy.

I was writing that it's a good move, because usually the big italian public (families, boyfriend &girlfriend) enjoy a match more in early spring than in winter; but then I've read this, so I feel a bit guilty...

About the italian championship, the problem would be the same one signaled by RugbyLiebe for the other national championships: the pauses for the 6N would arrive toward the end of the season and they would break the climax composed by the last regular season games + play-off. But it's a minor problem, I think; a solution would be found

Maybe another critical point could be the accumulation of games in the same weekends: 6N, Championship, ARC, REC... they could steal tv-spectators each other because very few fans would have the time and the passion to follow all

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 18 May 2020, 08:40

This structure just steals a further month of the club season. It solves nothing and creates further problems.

If we are to move the 6N we need to take the move and rather than shift June into October, shift November into late April & May.

The club season can then run for 26 uninterrupted weeks from September to February. We can then have an international season in March, April and May, while the clubs play development leagues and cups. Or possibly tour countries like USA and Japanese clubs themselves.

The southern hemisphere and summer leagues like Russia or USA can then rune June to November. Players shifting hemipsheres get a too long season in the year they move but otherwise we get a calendar with no cross overs which is better for everyone (better for T2 nations therefore better for internationals as we get best v best more often, better for clubs) and the European clubs can play in the season they always have done, and where the paying fans want to watch, rather than have to shift into the high summer where the only people who want to do that are the ones that never come to games anyway!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 18 May 2020, 08:55

From an italian newspaper article reported in a forum
https://forum.rugby.it/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#p935272

According to the newspaper the calendar would be (the assumptions are by the forumer, not by the journalist)
- Northern Hemisphere National Championships (Top 14, Premieship, ProX) from December to July
- No indication on the cups that I imagine will take place in the same period
- 6N in a period to be identified between February and April, should take place over 6 weeks (not 7 as now)
- August rest
- Abolition of traditional tours, except for B&I Lions.
- September preparation
- In October and November there will be a sort of tournament for nations, 30 nations involved, 6 Tier, the first 2/3 Division will be determined by the results of 6N and Rugby Championship. Which makes me understand that each Division will have 5 teams, each of which would play 4 games in the other hemisphere (south in October) and 4 in its own (north in November). In current hypothesis; Div1 ABs, Boks, Eng, Irl, Fra; Div2 Aus, Wal, Sco, Jap, Arg; Div3 Fij, Ita, Geo, Ton, US (grueling trips ...). Italy would swing between Division 2 and 3, sometimes it could make the D2 even finishing last in the 6N, it would depend heavily on the results of Japan and Fiji.
- In the southern hemisphere, the timetable would remain virtually unchanged

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:09

Canalina wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:But I love the Six Nations in February. Do you have any idea how cold, dark, wet and miserable life is in Britain in the winter? The Six Nations is the light at the end of the tunnel. We start watching it at the start of February and by the middle of March when it finishes our winter is over. If we don't have the Six Nations to watch what do you expect us to do between Christmas and spring? I'm sure the World Rugby board members can go somewhere nice and warm for February, but most Britons will be stuck on this dark wretched island, and they want to take away our only joy.

I was writing that it's a good move, because usually the big italian public (families, boyfriend &girlfriend) enjoy a match more in early spring than in winter; but then I've read this, so I feel a bit guilty...

About the italian championship, the problem would be the same one signaled by RugbyLiebe for the other national championships: the pauses for the 6N would arrive toward the end of the season and they would break the climax composed by the last regular season games + play-off. But it's a minor problem, I think; a solution would be found

Maybe another critical point could be the accumulation of games in the same weekends: 6N, Championship, ARC, REC... they could steal tv-spectators each other because very few fans would have the time and the passion to follow all

I wouldn't mind so much the suggestion of taking the Six Nations away from February/March if there was a suggestion of what to replace it with. There needs to be a big sports championship during that miserable season. Maybe an ice hockey Six Nations. Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Romania.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:14

If Russia leaves the summer season, then the new world calendar is ideal! The Russian team will be able to play their home matches everywhere, including in Krasnoyarsk.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:55

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Maybe an ice hockey Six Nations. Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Romania.

Nah, nobody in their right mind wants any closed shop competitions.
The last two Olympic finalists Russia and Germany love to play those other teams in World cups every year though ;) Which takes part in May, due to the pro leagues' seasons. (France and Romania are 2nd division teams btw).

German sports pro-tip: you can simply start watching wintersports. Biathlon and ski jumping are nice sports to watch, if you are bored through your coldest rain season. :D

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 10:11

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Maybe an ice hockey Six Nations. Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Romania.

Nah, nobody in their right mind wants any closed shop competitions.
The last two Olympic finalists Russia and Germany love to play those other teams in World cups every year though ;) Which takes part in May, due to the pro leagues' seasons. (France and Romania are 2nd division teams btw).

German sports pro-tip: you can simply start watching wintersports. Biathlon and ski jumping are nice sports to watch, if you are bored through your coldest rain season. :D

I'm not going to watch biathlon and ski jumping. I need an England or Great Britain team in an annual closed shop round robin team sports championship in February/March so I have something to look forward to in January, something I can talk about it with my friends.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 18 May 2020, 10:26

You don't know how much you lose in your life by missing biathlon and ski jumping. They are great to watch both live and on TV and easy to access thanks to Eurosport.

P.S: fuck Norway

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 May 2020, 11:23

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I'm not going to watch biathlon and ski jumping. I need an England or Great Britain team in an annual closed shop round robin team sports championship in February/March so I have something to look forward to in January, something I can talk about it with my friends.

Looks like we are making at least some progress here in understanding the human beings located on islands in the rain. Why exactly do you think it needs to be closed shop? I mean, if you haven't managed to put everyone else successfully down for 100 years or so to remain the status quo, a closed shop will always be a sub-par competition.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 11:38

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:I'm not going to watch biathlon and ski jumping. I need an England or Great Britain team in an annual closed shop round robin team sports championship in February/March so I have something to look forward to in January, something I can talk about it with my friends.

Looks like we are making at least some progress here in understanding the human beings located on islands in the rain. Why exactly do you think it needs to be closed shop? I mean, if you haven't managed to put everyone else successfully down for 100 years or so to remain the status quo, a closed shop will always be a sub-par competition.

We like the certainty. The outcome on the field is the only variable. Everything else stays the same.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:31

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

We like the certainty. The outcome on the field is the only variable. Everything else stays the same.

Like getting your hands burnt everytime you dare to wash your hands with warm water. I understand :D
But now dead serious: Do you really think that the same teams every year is a viable option? I mean if you could plan a new sport called Chester and you make up the rules and etc. of it - would you really consider a closed shop with four parts of the same country, to only grow by 2 other countries (and the secession by half of one of the 4 original ones) over the centuries?
I think it would be dead boring to see Prussia, Württemberg, Bavaria and Austria playing it out every year, with a small addition of France and Italy. Nothing more exciting than seeing a new team in a competition.
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Mon, 18 May 2020, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 13:06

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

Like getting your hands burnt everytime you dare to wash your hands with warm water. I understand :D
But now dead serious: Do you really think that the same teams every year is a viable option? I mean if you could plan a new sport called Chester and you make up the rules and etc. of it - would you really consider a closed shop with four parts of the same country, to only grow by 2 other countries I(and the secession by half of one of the 4 original ones) over the centuries?
I think it would be dead boring to see Prussia, Württemberg, Bavaria and Austria playing it out every year, with a small addition of France and Italy. Nothing more exciting than seeing a new team in a competition.

I don't think it works with a new sport. Rugby is part of our culture and traditions. We like that kind of thing in Britain with our royal family, tea, Sunday roast, fish and chips on Fridays etc.
I like our country of countries. I feel like Spain could do something similar. I don't like the idea of Prussia having a national team though. Prussians will probably be a cool name for a rugby team in the future, like Saracens or Spartans. England A team is called the Saxons.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 18 May 2020, 19:29

WHY have stopped? It was enjoyable discussion to follow from afar

:::

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 20:59

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:

But now dead serious: Do you really think that the same teams every year is a viable option? I mean if you could plan a new sport called Chester and you make up the rules and etc. of it - would you really consider a closed shop with four parts of the same country, to only grow by 2 other countries I(and the secession by half of one of the 4 original ones) over the centuries?

I don't think it works with a new sport. Rugby is part of our culture and traditions. We like that kind of thing in Britain with our royal family, tea, Sunday roast, fish and chips on Fridays etc.
I like our country of countries. I feel like Spain could do something similar. I don't like the idea of Prussia having a national team though. Prussians will probably be a cool name for a rugby team in the future, like Saracens or Spartans. England A team is called the Saxons.

I didn't realise, there is a German sports team in Berlin called the Prussians, BFC Preussen. The have a football team, also handball, volleyball, athletics, gymnastics and ice hockey. They should start a rugby team.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 May 2020, 21:12

The only problem with the proposed calendar is for the TRC, that will open the SH season. Maybe that will have an impact on the level of the competition. But may it won't. that's interesting All Blacks, Springboks, Wallabies and Pumas players would do pre season together for 2 months, january-february (but won't do pre-season with their Super Rugby teams).

Maybe one positive effect will be warm-up test matches between them and emerging nations like Uruguy, Namibia, Fiji, Samoa or Tonga in February.... maybe? Or maybe they'll play Super Rugby teams. Interesting to think it can bring back matches like NSW Waratahs vs All Blacks or Wallabies vs Canterbury/Crusaders.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 23:19

victorsra wrote:The only problem with the proposed calendar is for the TRC, that will open the SH season. Maybe that will have an impact on the level of the competition. But may it won't. that's interesting All Blacks, Springboks, Wallabies and Pumas players would do pre season together for 2 months, january-february (but won't do pre-season with their Super Rugby teams).

Maybe one positive effect will be warm-up test matches between them and emerging nations like Uruguy, Namibia, Fiji, Samoa or Tonga in February.... maybe? Or maybe they'll play Super Rugby teams. Interesting to think it can bring back matches like NSW Waratahs vs All Blacks or Wallabies vs Canterbury/Crusaders.

New Zealand All Blacks vs Pacific Islanders. Springboks vs African Leopards. Pumas vs South America Jaguars. Wallabies vs Maori All Blacks.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 19 May 2020, 05:50

At this stage I'm not opposed to the idea of TRC starting the season. The reality is Super Rugby has lost all of its appeal, especially in Australia. The NRL and AFL have blockbuster openings in Late February, there's always a big anticipation for the new season each year. Super Rugby usually just comes along with little fan fair. Another bonus for starting in March / April is it would finally mean Australia and New Zealand could play an annual Bledisloe game on Anzac Day, and for those unaware it's the day that celebrates the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who fought and died together during World War 1. This means the season can start with a real bang instead of a whimper, and if a could of warm up games can be arranged against Pacific Island teams and/or South American teams then great. If the bonus is this helps nations like Romania and Russia and other areas of the world restructure their seasons to be more accommodating to their climate then that's great also.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Tue, 19 May 2020, 07:58

Canalina wrote:From an italian newspaper article reported in a forum
https://forum.rugby.it/viewtopic.php?f= ... 30#p935272

According to the newspaper the calendar would be (the assumptions are by the forumer, not by the journalist)
- Northern Hemisphere National Championships (Top 14, Premieship, ProX) from December to July
- No indication on the cups that I imagine will take place in the same period
- 6N in a period to be identified between February and April, should take place over 6 weeks (not 7 as now)
- August rest
- Abolition of traditional tours, except for B&I Lions.
- September preparation
- In October and November there will be a sort of tournament for nations, 30 nations involved, 6 Tier, the first 2/3 Division will be determined by the results of 6N and Rugby Championship. Which makes me understand that each Division will have 5 teams, each of which would play 4 games in the other hemisphere (south in October) and 4 in its own (north in November). In current hypothesis; Div1 ABs, Boks, Eng, Irl, Fra; Div2 Aus, Wal, Sco, Jap, Arg; Div3 Fij, Ita, Geo, Ton, US (grueling trips ...). Italy would swing between Division 2 and 3, sometimes it could make the D2 even finishing last in the 6N, it would depend heavily on the results of Japan and Fiji.
- In the southern hemisphere, the timetable would remain virtually unchanged

I sincerely hope the Nations Championship concept in that article is wrong. I'd hate that. Too many divisions.

A better structure would be two divisions of 16 teams. Split into two pools of 8. Four from Europe and four from the rest of the world. Play each other once. Winner of each pool play in the final. The rest to determine rankings 3-15. The last placed team is relegated.Whichever team wins the 2nd Div is promoted and participates in the 1st division in the next edition.

Have all the regional competitions align be played in the same 5 week window. This way at the very least most of the teams in the two divisions will have 12 tests per year.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum