Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

World Rugby politics

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: World Rugby politics

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 14:43

victorsra wrote:
vino_93 wrote:
Canalina wrote:garde à vue means that you are surveilled but at your home?

No, that means you stay in the police station. Every Police Nationale / Gendarmerie station has a few cells for that.

average cell or a prime vip one?

Usually an average one :
(this one being clean, which is clearly not the case of all)

As Laporte & Altrad were in the BRDE, I guess they were in pretty clean & "good" cells.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 14:46

Canalina wrote:So it's really a sort of arrest; it's almost like being in a prison

Yes more or less, for a night or two (one for them here).

I've finally found a cell used by the BRDE :

Quite correct...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 15:00

:lol: :lol: :lol: your average is like pure luxury extra prime in Brazil.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 15:08

victorsra wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: your average is like pure luxury extra prime in Brazil.

To be honest, I guess most of the cells looks like that :

Before being cleared and renovated. (but the pics I showed are the standards - no doubts Laporte was in one of those clean)

But yes, I can imagine ...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 15:24

It is just one guy inside. Still luxury :lol:

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 15:30

Well, that's the goal of GàV to be alone in fact. That's not jail, where you are 3/4 at least per cells.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 16:04

or 15, 20, having to alternate who sleeps and who stands, like here...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 12:23

Russia will try to beat Morariu at the head of Rugby Europe with Kirill Yashenkov.
https://twitter.com/ruggerinfo/status/1 ... 3318218758

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 18:43

And that would mean Russia entering WR politics...

Postby armchair_expert » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 22:25

Armchair Fan wrote:Russia will try to beat Morariu at the head of Rugby Europe with Kirill Yashenkov.
https://twitter.com/ruggerinfo/status/1 ... 3318218758

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTEhrxEHBQs
"...it's important to raise the level of REIC; REC has reached [somewhat] high level and doesn't move further, so the first step is to introduce TMO in REC since March, next step is to raise the level of competition in divisions below REC - everything is neglected in these divisions and RE does not play any role in their fate..."
"...we (Russia) plan to keep hosting rights to all tournaments hosted on our territory: U18s, beach, snow..."
"...this work (meetings with RE unions, especially 6Ns) is important regardless of [my RE presidential bid], because RWC27 hosting race is coming; while meeting with 6N and other important unions, all of whom are part of WR Council, I will have an opportunity to promote the idea of RWC in Russia ... to persuade representatives of these big nations..."

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 03 Oct 2020, 01:23

Yep, they are moving the so needed political influence right now they don't have.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 15:14

Brett Gosper, whose exit had already been rumoured, signs with NFL. World Rugby is now without a CEO
https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/13341 ... 96577?s=19

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 16:36

Armchair Fan wrote:Brett Gosper, whose exit had already been rumoured, signs with NFL. World Rugby is now without a CEO
https://twitter.com/sbjsbd/status/13341 ... 96577?s=19

Not a rumor, Beaumont and WR have confirmed it.

https://www.world.rugby/news/607159

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 16:38

Who do you want as the new permanent CEO?

I for one would like to see someone outside of the blazer community or established countries. maybe someone from another sport altogether.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 19:00

I would love someone with strong experience in other sports from outside the original 8 nations, perhaps an Italian from F1, an American from basketball or a Japanese from football. Or maybe really outside the box a German with experience of handball.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 19:04

I don't like a lot this thing that Gosper goes to NFL Europe. It seems like your best chef that quits your restaurant and goes to work with your rival McDonald's on the other side of the street :|

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 20:06

Do you think is a gerat loss? In the interview to comment the movie about south pacific players did not seem so.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 21:24

Canalina wrote:I don't like a lot this thing that Gosper goes to NFL Europe. It seems like your best chef that quits your restaurant and goes to work with your rival McDonald's on the other side of the street :|

that's about sums it up... this will make things very interesting from next year.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 21:41

Let me insist: Gosper departure was known for months. If World Rugby hasn't got a replacement ready (it could be that he/she remains tied to his/her employer until early 2021), they are way more inept than we thought.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby ThreePears » Wed, 02 Dec 2020, 23:09

For me the main aim of the next person in the job has to be to make world cup 2027 a 24 team tournament and to help rid rugby of the posh/white/elitist/private school stigma it has attached to it. Only then will the sport properly start to grow.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 03 Dec 2020, 02:54

I wouldn’t be surprised if they put John Feehan in charge. I’ll throw up a little

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 03 Dec 2020, 07:15

ficcp wrote:Do you think is a gerat loss? In the interview to comment the movie about south pacific players did not seem so.

I don't know Gosper, don't know what he has done or not done; I just know that he was in WR charge for many years so I suppose he has solid skills and experience. But mine was more a joke: it's true that he goes to help a sport direct rival to rugby, but I hope NFL Europe is too little to represent a real treat for rugby. At least here in Italy, american football is (fortunately) almost ignored

ThreePears wrote:For me the main aim of the next person in the job has to be to make world cup 2027 a 24 team tournament and to help rid rugby of the posh/white/elitist/private school stigma it has attached to it. Only then will the sport properly start to grow.

This thing about elitist stigma always surprises me a bit, because here in Italy there's not at all that stigma. At the opposite, I think that at least until some years ago the young players came not rarely from the lowest classes: you are at the margin of the society, why don't you play in an hard and dirty sport at the margin of the sports panorama? Now things must have been quite changed, but still I can't see an elitist approach at all

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 03 Dec 2020, 09:21

Hopefully they can get someone with sports business/entertainment experience. I don’t know about Gosper’s track record but he came from a corporate background and perhaps was a bit one dimensional. To move the game forward and modernise it we need someone who has that knowledge and expertise in my opinion.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby ThreePears » Thu, 03 Dec 2020, 10:26

ThreePears wrote:For me the main aim of the next person in the job has to be to make world cup 2027 a 24 team tournament and to help rid rugby of the posh/white/elitist/private school stigma it has attached to it. Only then will the sport properly start to grow.

This thing about elitist stigma always surprises me a bit, because here in Italy there's not at all that stigma. At the opposite, I think that at least until some years ago the young players came not rarely from the lowest classes: you are at the margin of the society, why don't you play in an hard and dirty sport at the margin of the sports panorama? Now things must have been quite changed, but still I can't see an elitist approach at all[/quote]

That is interesting (and refreshing) to hear. The game in Scotland, England and Ireland definitely has those connotations, as it does in South Africa and as we are currently seeing in Argentina too. I would hazard a guess that it is a similar picture in Uruguay too although as I understand it not so much in Chile and Colombia. The stigma needs ridding in the above countries for sure. I’m not what it is like in France but I get the feeling it isn’t as bad as here in England.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 03 Dec 2020, 10:52

ThreePears wrote:

This thing about elitist stigma always surprises me a bit, because here in Italy there's not at all that stigma. At the opposite, I think that at least until some years ago the young players came not rarely from the lowest classes: you are at the margin of the society, why don't you play in an hard and dirty sport at the margin of the sports panorama? Now things must have been quite changed, but still I can't see an elitist approach at all

That is interesting (and refreshing) to hear. The game in Scotland, England and Ireland definitely has those connotations, as it does in South Africa and as we are currently seeing in Argentina too. I would hazard a guess that it is a similar picture in Uruguay too although as I understand it not so much in Chile and Colombia. The stigma needs ridding in the above countries for sure. I’m not what it is like in France but I get the feeling it isn’t as bad as here in England.[/quote]

Maybe in London and the north there is an elitist stigma to rugby. But that is definitely not the case in the South West or in Wales. In fact I have only ever lived in areas where rugby is definitely not elitist; just a popular sport that people like to play. Maybe it's elite at the elite level but at club level it definitely is not, in my experience.

There are also sports in England that struggle from not being seen as elite at all, e.g. basketball. That sport would benefit from being seen as more elite. Be careful what you wish for. Most people are middle class and aspirational and rugby appeals to those people.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum