Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

World Rugby politics

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: World Rugby politics

Postby Canalina » Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 11:11

I can, but probably I'm not the most impartial about. If the video is the same that I saw some time ago (and I think it is), that's the good old Pichot: the african delegate betrayed me, but I'm good on accepting the electoral loss so I will not complain about that and I will not remember you the happened exchange between that betrayal and the entry of the african delegate in the ExCo in place of Francis Kean, they offered me several times shady political exchanges but I've always refused because rugby to me is a matter of passion and high ideals (implied: while for the others it's a matter of corrupted affairs), I didn't want to be a WR president just to voyage in business class around the world (implied: like the others do). In summa, it's the usual Pichot: I'm good and modest, the others are evil and corrupt.
This interview confirmed to me that he would have not been a right WR president: he is too egocentric and victimistic and in love with himself
My opinion, of course

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 13:54

No, it isn't, the election is not the main topic. What matters is the discussion about calendar, player welfare, Jaguares, PRO14 and Super Rugby.

There is a second part too:

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 18:30

I think it's the video I already saw. Indeed it's from the beginning of august. Yes, the questions about the elections cover a little part of it, but for "professional distortion" I noticed those more than the other ones; and when interrogated about, he repeats his refrain that I have "summarized" above

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 18 Sep 2020, 21:28

Ok, but the more interesting stuff is, for exemple, he talks about:

- The problems related to players' rest: a SH player playing for an European club that wants to play TRC basicaly don't have when to rest. There is no space in the calendar and the conflict with clubs interests obviously would happen - and it is already happening, just look at France;
- The 6-12 million euros that PRO14 asked for new franchises, that is almost a non-starter for an Argentine team there;
- How shocking was NZ leaving SR and the mess created;
- The "back up" approach Argentina had since planning Jaguares in SR... when they created the ARC in 2016 and now SLAR they created basicaly an alternative for pro rugby in Argentina in the case of Jaguares/Super Rugby fail....
- And, most importantly, he made a criticism addressed to people that start thinking about professional alternatives for international rugby and forgets about creating proper fanbases. This forum has always stupid ideas about creating fictional teams representing one country but hosting matches in another country, for exemple. He made clear this is unsustainable - and obviously it is.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 21 Sep 2020, 20:22

Laporte being investigated in France https://www.rugbypass.com/news/report-l ... aud-squad/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 22 Sep 2020, 08:05

The summary of the Laporte's troubles purposed by rugger.info:

The French functionary is waiting for communication with the anti-fraud organization. The Financial Prosecutor's Office of France and the Ministry of Sports of the Republic suspect Laporte of pressure on the appeal committee of the French Rugby Federation in 2017 in order to ease the sanctions against Montpellier.

Let us remind that at that time the FFR appeal committee was loyal to Montpellier. Jenny du Plessis and Jacques du Plessis had their suspensions reduced that season, although there was no good reason for that. And on April 22 of the same 2017, Montpellier beat Racing 92 54: 3. After the game, the coach of the “racers” Laurent Labitte said that Moed Altrad (president of Montpellier) “bought” the FFR and the entire refereeing committee. For the statements, the head coach of the Parisians was fined 1,500 euros and disqualified for 15 matches, the club was ordered to pay 50,000 euros of sanctions. In the same game, Montpellier fans displayed offensive banners against Racing. The disciplinary committee fined the club 70,000 euros, disqualifying the stadium for one game. However, the sentence was subsequently mitigated. Moed Altrad paid only 20,000 euros and the ban was canceled.

Interestingly, the Altrad Group company in 2017 became a sponsor of the French national team and its logo is placed on Le Blé rugby jerseys. Moreover, it was the Moeda Altrada corporation that even then promised the French Rugby Federation substantial financial assistance if the country was elected the host of the 2023 World Cup. But that's not all. In February, of the same 2017, Altrad Group allocated 150,000 euros of tranche to Laporte BL Communication.

The interrogation of Bernard Laporte is to take place this week.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 22 Sep 2020, 17:14

How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 22 Sep 2020, 17:42

Le BRDE taking down FFR. It's not just Laporte, it's like all the senior leadership.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 22 Sep 2020, 17:57

Laporte out of the World Rugby leadership - a step forward towards development of t2 nations.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 23 Sep 2020, 06:33

BigG wrote:Laporte out of the World Rugby leadership - a step forward towards development of t2 nations.

I actually disagree. I think Laporte would have been the type of growing rugby (just out of interesting to gain personal advantage is another story, but growing outside the old markets is an interest). This will lead to another decade of old British gentleman's club reign.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 23 Sep 2020, 06:53

France always suported T2 nations. I'm not a fan of them but this is the true.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 23 Sep 2020, 15:01

According to the last news he was just questioned, not arrested

A posteriori we could say it seemed strange that they arrested him for a still supposed and non violent crime

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 23 Sep 2020, 15:01

I think it is a step BACK for the next 4 years. Laporte was apparently more conscious about developing T2 rugby than Beaumont.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 04:51

I’d question if Beaumont knew a single thing about non 6 nations and tri nations rugby before his appointment in 2016.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 04:58

Can this sport go one month without things falling apart?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 06:23

Canalina wrote:According to the last news he was just questioned, not arrested

A posteriori we could say it seemed strange that they arrested him for a still supposed and non violent crime

Also wondered about that. But I double checked with a French source, which also states, that he went into custody, before posting it. In Germany it would mean, that they fear the risk of escape. But is that really a thing for a man in his position?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 06:30

Elections at FFR on 3 October, arrest him on 22 September...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 09:01

I wonder which moves will take World Rugby in front of this big trouble. Will they wait a definitive sentence or are they meditating to substitute Laporte already now?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 09:05

Canalina wrote:I wonder which moves will take World Rugby in front of this big trouble. Will they wait a definitive sentence or are they meditating to substitute Laporte already now?

They should wait. The man have his right of being not guilty until justice will have a final conclusion.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 09:54

Canalina wrote:Will they wait a definitive sentence or are they meditating to substitute Laporte already now?

That's a real interesting question. If they substitute Laporte, what would be the best choice? It was already unusual to not have someone from the Southern hemisphere. My guess is Beaumont wants a Saffa to make sure that if SA goes North, they got the power in their hands.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 13:21

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Canalina wrote:According to the last news he was just questioned, not arrested

Also wondered about that. But I double checked with a French source, which also states, that he went into custody, before posting it. In Germany it would mean, that they fear the risk of escape. But is that really a thing for a man in his position?

That's quite usual here. You can go up to 72h of garde à vue during an inquiry (depending of what you are accused of).
Then there's the custody before going to the judge, if they fear you escape. But that's different.

They keep you for a few hours to interview you. But they use it if they are quite sure there's something (the number of hours is limited by affair).

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 13:48

garde à vue means that you are surveilled but at your home?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 14:14

Canalina wrote:garde à vue means that you are surveilled but at your home?

No, that means you stay in the police station. Every Police Nationale / Gendarmerie station has a few cells for that.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 14:31

vino_93 wrote:
Canalina wrote:garde à vue means that you are surveilled but at your home?

No, that means you stay in the police station. Every Police Nationale / Gendarmerie station has a few cells for that.

average cell or a prime vip one?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 24 Sep 2020, 14:32

So it's really a sort of arrest; it's almost like being in a prison

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum