Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Multi-sport Cities

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Multi-sport Cities

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 03:38

I have looked at which cities in Britain have top division sports teams for what I think are the top 6 professional and semi professional team sports in Britain.
Soccer, cricket, rugby (both codes), ice hockey, basketball, netball.

I have considered Premier League and Championship soccer to be top division for this because the smallest Championship soccer club is much bigger than the biggest ice hockey, basketball or netball club. But that is where I draw the line as almost every large town has a team in the football league.

I am biased towards team ball sports. Speedway is a popular professional team sport but I haven't considered that.

Two of Britain's biggest cities do not make my list, Birmingham and Liverpool. Both are soccer cities, each with 2 big teams. Birmingham also has Warwickshire County Cricket Club. Both cities have excellent arenas for hosting big sporting events. Birmingham will be hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games. But both cities have had several attempts of establishing professional sports teams in other sports, and each one has failed.

The cities in my list are in 9 of Britain's 11 regions. There are no cities in South East or East of England on the list, because the centre of those regions' sport and culture is Greater London, which is itself a region.

I have ranked the cities because I like to rank things.

1. London. Top division sports teams in all of the 6 sports except Ice Hockey. 4 Premier League, 4 Championship soccer clubs. 2012 Olympic Games host city. All of the country's national sports' national stadiums. Also hosts some NFL games.
2. Manchester. 2 of England's biggest soccer clubs. First class cricket team and Netball Superleague team. Old Trafford is the biggest stadium outside of London and hosts the Rugby Super League grand final. 2002 Commonwealth Games host city. National Basketball Performance Centre. National Cycling Centre. There are also top level basketball and ice hockey teams called "Manchester" but their homes are outside Manchester (but within Greater Manchester).
3. Glasgow. 2014 Commonwealth Games host city. Home of Scotland's 2 big soccer teams, and the national stadium. Sports teams for all of the 6 sports except cricket.
4. Cardiff. Sports teams for all of the 6 sports except basketball.
5. Leicester. Home of 2 of England's top sports teams in soccer and rugby, and a first class cricket team. Also a basketball club and the British Basketball League HQ.
6. Bristol. Teams in soccer, rugby, cricket and basketball.
7. Leeds. Teams in soccer, rugby league, cricket and netball. RFL HQ.
8. Worcester. Teams in rugby, cricket, basketball and netball.
9. Newcastle. Teams in soccer, rugby and basketball.
10. Coventry. Teams in rugby, netball and ice hockey. And soccer if Wasps and Coventry City FC can come to an agreement for the soccer team to move back to the Ricoh Arena.
11. Nottingham. Teams in soccer, cricket and ice hockey. Home of the National Ice Centre.
12. Sheffield. Teams in soccer, ice hockey and basketball.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Multi-sport Cities

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 10:32

Valladolid: VRAC and El Salvador dominate División de Honor de Rugby, Real Valladolid in LaLiga, Carramimbre Valladolid just earned promotion to basketball's ACB, Recoletas Atlético Valladolid in handball's ASOBAL. Among women teams they also had El Salvador in rugby top-tier this season and Aula Valladolid in handball.

Barcelona only with FC Barcelona sections is there as well.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 13:24

Armchair Fan wrote:Valladolid: VRAC and El Salvador dominate División de Honor de Rugby, Real Valladolid in LaLiga, Carramimbre Valladolid just earned promotion to basketball's ACB, Recoletas Atlético Valladolid in handball's ASOBAL. Among women teams they also had El Salvador in rugby top-tier this season and Aula Valladolid in handball.

Barcelona only with FC Barcelona sections is there as well.

Professional multi-sports clubs are not common in Britain. But there are a few. Stephen Lansdown's Bristol Sport owns Bristol Bears Rugby, Bristol Flyers basketball and Bristol City FC. Wasps have Wasps Rugby and Wasps Netball. Leeds Rhinos have the rugby league club and the netball team. Saracens have the rugby team and Saracens Mavericks netball team. Rugby and netball seems to be a good combination. Quite a few top netball players are the wives of rugby players.
I think other sports teams clusters come from university sports, but also because these cities are main cities in their regions.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 14:26

I forgot Sevilla. Ciencias is División de Honor, Corteva Cocos Rugby are women champions, Sevilla and Betis have a huge LaLiga rivalry and Betis sponsors basketball and futsal teams in national top tier.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 15:38

Krasnoyarsk.
Russian hockey. 1st level. HC Enisei is one of the best clubs in the world.
Rugby. 1st level. Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar are two of the strongest rugby clubs in Russia and Europe (although located in Asia) outside the countries of the 6 Nations.
Basketball. 1st level. BC Enisei.
Volleyball. 1st level. VC Enisei.
Sokker. 2nd level. FC Enisei.
Canadian hockey. 2nd level. HC Sokol.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 17:36

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Professional multi-sports clubs are not common in Britain.

True, especially with football.

Manchester United tried with Basketball in the 80s (inspired by Barca and Real Madrid), but it obviously came to an end. I do not think any other football club in the UK tried taking on another sport since.

What is perhaps a deeper question in this excellent post what lines sports draw between which other sports they will co-promote. Football seems to not bother with any others. Rugby is happy to consider minor sports like netball. The minor sports like basketball, netball are happy to hitch on with whoever is willing.

London by the way is unique globally I think for the sheer number of top-class (EPL/Championship/EFL) clubs it has - 12. It should be able to support at least a couple of Rugby teams.

Also note the number of cities with more than one club - lots in football, hardly any in Rugby/Cricket/other sports. Is the comparison fair?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 17:46

Brazil has soccer, soccer, soccer, soccer and soccer, but let's say NBB (Basketball) and Superliga (Volleyball) are the other 2 high profile professional sports leagues.

Only São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte have clubs in the top divisions of those 3 top sports (counting only the city itself, not the metropolitan region):

São Paulo:
- Football (Brasileirão Serie A): 3,5 clubs = Palmeiras, Corinthians, São Paulo + Santos, that is from Santos, but splits matches between Santos and São Paulo;
- Basketball (NBB): 4 clubs = Corinthians, São Paulo, Pinheiros and Paulistano;
- Men's Volleyball (Superliga): 1 club = SESI
- Women's Volleyball (Superliga): 1 club = Pinheiros

Rio de Janeiro:
- Football (Brasileirão Serie A): 4 clubs = Flamengo, Vasco, Fluminense and Botafogo
- Basketball (NBB): 2 clubs = Flamengo and Botafogo
- Men's Volleyball (Superliga): 1 club = SESC;
- Women's Volleyball (Superliga): 3 clubs = SESC, Flamengo and Fluminense;

Belo Horizonte:
- Football (Brasileirão Serie A): 1 clubs = Atlético Mineiro (the mighty Cruzeiro, one of Brazil's big clubs, was relegated last season);
- Basketball (NBB): 1 club = Minas Tênis;
- Men's Volleyball (Superliga): 2 clubs = Minas Tenis and Cruzeiro;
- Women's Volleyball (Superliga): 1 club = Minas Tênis;

As you see, many multi-sports clubs. And this is very changeable. Palmeiras, Vasco and Fluminense for exemple used to have NBB basketball, but closed the professional departments.... that happens all the time with football-oriented multi-sports clubs. Other sports can't trust on football-oriented clubs. The only football giant that is more consistent with other sports in Rio's Flamengo.

Minas Tênis in Belo Horizonte, Pinheiros and Paulistano in São Paulo are the greatest Olympics-oriented multi-sports clubs in Brazil.
Last edited by victorsra on Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 17:54

In the other hand, some mid-sized rich cities in Brazil that don't have a top football club choose other sports to support. For exemple, São José dos Campos (the city of Embraer, Brazil's aerospace conglomerate), 100km from São Paulo, is famous for supporting Basketball (with NBB), women's soccer (top division club) and rugby (São José Rugby Clube is the current Brazilian champion and biggest champions of the past two decades). But rugby is amateur.
Last edited by victorsra on Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 18:03, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 17:55

Professional multi-sport clubs don't exist in the United States specifically we don't have amateur arms on our professional clubs. There are very few multi-sport clubs that are even affordable and fewer that field athletic teams in competition in the US.

We do have owners that own multiple teams in a single city. But the teams are large corporations in their own right and it would be difficult to administer them all under one corporation.

LA and New York are very similar. Both have two of everything when it comes to Major Sports.

New York Market-
NFL- Giants and Jets
MLB- Yankees and Mets
NBA- Knicks and Nets
NHL- Rangers, Islanders, and NJ Devils
MLS- Red Bulls and NYCFC

LA Market-
NFL- Rams and Chargers
MLB- Dodgers and Angels
NBA- Lakers and Clippers
NHL- Kings and Ducks
MLS- Galaxy and LAFC

In each of these markets there are also minor league affiliates. But the closest thing to Multi-Sport clubs that operate under one entity are University athletics. New York doesn't really have a major Football playing school, but many of the universities are highly competitive in Basketball. Whereas Los Angeles has UCLA and USC as the largest institutions, but there are others in the market that compete at a Division 1 NCAA level, but don't have football teams.
Last edited by TheStroBro on Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 17:59

TheStroBro wrote:Professional multi-sport clubs don't exist in the United States specifically we don't have amateur arms on our professional clubs. There are very few multi-sport clubs that are even affordable and fewer that field athletic teams in competition in the US.

We do have owners that own multiple teams in a single city. But the teams are large corporations in their own right and it would be difficult to administer them all under one corporation.

LA and New York are very similar. Both have two of everything when it comes to Major Sports.

New York Market-
NFL- Giants and Jets
MLB- Yankees and Mets
NBA- Knicks and Nets
NHL- Rangers and Islanders
MLS- Red Bulls and NYCFC

LA Market-
NFL- Rams and Chargers
MLB- Dodgers and Angels
NBA- Lakers and Clippers
NHL- Kings and Ducks
MLS- Galaxy and LAFC

In each of these markets there are also minor league affiliates. But the closest thing to Multi-Sport clubs that operate under one entity are University athletics. New York doesn't really have a major Football playing school, but many of the universities are highly competitive in Basketball. Whereas Los Angeles has UCLA and USC as the largest institutions, but there are others in the market that compete at a Division 1 NCAA level, but don't have football teams.

You could add to NY the New Jersey Devils? It is NJ, but Red Bulls, Giants and Jets also play in NJ.

I've been always curious about NY if there is a logic behind fans. Usualy Jets, Mets, Nets and Islanders support each other? And in LA the same for Ducks, Angels... Clippers?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 18:28

jservuk wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Professional multi-sports clubs are not common in Britain.

Manchester United tried with Basketball in the 80s (inspired by Barca and Real Madrid), but it obviously came to an end. I do not think any other football club in the UK tried taking on another sport since.

What is perhaps a deeper question in this excellent post what lines sports draw between which other sports they will co-promote. Football seems to not bother with any others. Rugby is happy to consider minor sports like netball. The minor sports like basketball, netball are happy to hitch on with whoever is willing.

London by the way is unique globally I think for the sheer number of top-class (EPL/Championship/EFL) clubs it has - 12. It should be able to support at least a couple of Rugby teams.

Also note the number of cities with more than one club - lots in football, hardly any in Rugby/Cricket/other sports. Is the comparison fair?

Yes this is true. I think the only normal size city with two professional rugby clubs is Hull. Hull has two rugby league teams in the Superleague (Hull FC and Hull Kingston Rovers) and a football team in the Championship, Hull City AFC. The first class cricket teams are county teams so you don't get two teams in the same city, except for in London because Greater London covers and replaces more than one historic county.

Indoor arena facilities and ice rink facilities are not very good across the UK, also interest in sports that are not soccer, rugby or cricket is quite low, so the locations of netball, basketball and ice hockey teams is dictated a lot by facilities and having the support of a university or a rich backer. I think these minor professional sports are happy to pair up with another sports team. They can benefit from getting fans through the other team, and also share facilities. Attendance figures are low, so they are looking to grow their market rather than take market share. Other teams are not a threat.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 19:14

jservuk wrote:

Buenos Aires has more top football clubs than London. Buenos Aires is an awesome sporting city.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:21

I remember about 15 years ago or maybe more there was an article about multi-sport cities in the US, I think it was in sports illustrated and talked about the 4 major sports, this was before the days when even Tampa had an NHL Team so is going way back.

The major cities were

Detroit
Chicago
Denver
Dallas
Boston
New York

cannot remember the other but I think it was San Francisco.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:38

victorsra wrote:
You could add to NY the New Jersey Devils? It is NJ, but Red Bulls, Giants and Jets also play in NJ.

I've been always curious about NY if there is a logic behind fans. Usualy Jets, Mets, Nets and Islanders support each other? And in LA the same for Ducks, Angels... Clippers?

Thanks I forgot about them...because of course "Jersey".

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:43

Thomas wrote:I remember about 15 years ago or maybe more there was an article about multi-sport cities in the US, I think it was in sports illustrated and talked about the 4 major sports, this was before the days when even Tampa had an NHL Team so is going way back.

The major cities were

Detroit
Chicago
Denver
Dallas
Boston
New York

cannot remember the other but I think it was San Francisco.

So, if MLR was considered Major League, there are four cities with a full house; LA, Dallas, Boston and New York.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:48

If you add MLS then the list gets interesting with DC added to the list.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 20:52

If you include MLS Detroit is out.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 21:04

An Argentine poster can help, but if we only count "Capital Federal", which means Buenos Aires city, and exclude all other Greater Buenos Aires cities, they have in 2020 top divisions:

- Football (Superliga): Boca Juniors, River Plate, Argentinos Juniors, Huracán, San Lorenzo, Vélez Sarsfield
- Rugby (Super Rugby): Jaguares
- Rugby (URBA Top 12): CUBA, Belgrano
- Basketball (LNB): Boca Juniors, San Lorenzo, Ferro Carril Oeste, Obras Sanitarias

But if you include the Greater Buenos Aires.... wow.... it is basicaly almost all URBA Top 12 + other 6 top division football clubs: Racing, Independiente, Lanús, Banfield, Defensa y Justicia and Arsenal... plus a dozen professional clubs in the second division....

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 21:17

There is no British city with a full house of professional teams. London is the closest but doesn't have a top division ice hockey team. This could change if the KHL expands into England.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/other ... gland.html

One option is Wembley Arena London, the other is a new arena in Reading. This is just my opinion, but I think Reading is probably a more suitable location because there will be a lot of air travel required and Reading is right by Heathrow airport. Also, with London Irish moving to London there is potentially a few thousand sports fans in Reading without a team to support.

Reading is not far from me and I would definitely go and support that team.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 21:24

Let's count London in top divisions for 2019-20:

Football (Premier League): Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottonham, West Ham, Crystal Palace
Rugby Union (Premiership): Harlequins and Saracens
Cricket: Middlessex, Surrey
Basketball (BBL): London Lions (London Royals folded now as I read).

If you count the Greater London and include Watford, there are 6 London clubs in the Premier League.

But if you count all Greater Buenos Aires they have 12 in their first division.... 12 of them Argentine champions in the professional era (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield, Huracán, Lanús, Arsenal, Banfield, Ferro Carril Oeste, Argentinos Juniors... in fact 13 Argentina champions, including Chacarita that is now in 2nd division).... 7 of them clubs Libertadores champions (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield and Argentinos Juniors).... which city/metropolitan area in the world has 7 continental champions?

São Paulo has 3 Libertadores champions (4 if Santos included), Rio de Janeiro 2, Porto Alegre 2, Belo Horizonte 2, Montevideo 2... in Europe only Milano has 2 UCL champions....

In rugby London has 2 Heineken Champions Cup champions because Wasps won it while in London (the other being the Saracens).

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 22:07

As an aside, Wakefield in England is a strange one.

About the same size as Leicester, great transport link, lots of people with well paid jobs live there (judging by the people getting off/on the trains to/from London). Nestled in that clutch of towns/cities that includes Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield.

But all they've got is a Rugby League team.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 22:18

victorsra wrote:Let's count London in top divisions for 2019-20:

Football (Premier League): Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottonham, West Ham, Crystal Palace
Rugby Union (Premiership): Harlequins and Saracens
Cricket: Middlessex, Surrey
Basketball (BBL): London Lions (London Royals folded now as I read).

If you count the Greater London and include Watford, there are 6 London clubs in the Premier League.

But if you count all Greater Buenos Aires they have 12 in their first division.... 12 of them Argentine champions in the professional era (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield, Huracán, Lanús, Arsenal, Banfield, Ferro Carril Oeste, Argentinos Juniors... in fact 13 Argentina champions, including Chacarita that is now in 2nd division).... 7 of them clubs Libertadores champions (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield and Argentinos Juniors).... which city/metropolitan area in the world has 7 continental champions?

São Paulo has 3 Libertadores champions (4 if Santos included), Rio de Janeiro 2, Porto Alegre 2, Belo Horizonte 2, Montevideo 2... in Europe only Milano has 2 UCL champions....

In rugby London has 2 Heineken Champions Cup champions because Wasps won it while in London (the other being the Saracens).

Watford is not in Greater London, and when Wasps won the Heineken Cup their home ground was in High Wycombe which is also not in Greater London.

London has a netball Superleague team, London Pulse. They play at the Copper Box Arena in East London, the same venue as London Lions. I believe the Copper Box Arena was built for the 2012 Olympics.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby carbonero » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 22:31

victorsra wrote:An Argentine poster can help, but if we only count "Capital Federal", which means Buenos Aires city, and exclude all other Greater Buenos Aires cities, they have in 2020 top divisions:

- Football (Superliga): Boca Juniors, River Plate, Argentinos Juniors, Huracán, San Lorenzo, Vélez Sarsfield
- Basketball (LNB): Boca Juniors, San Lorenzo, Ferro Carril Oeste, Obras Sanitarias...

CUBA is a huge club with several locations. However, their rugby section plays games in Villa de Mayo (outside of Capital Federal).

You can also include River in the volleyball league.

victorsra wrote:But if you count all Greater Buenos Aires they have 12 in their first division.... 12 of them Argentine champions in the professional era (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield, Huracán, Lanús, Arsenal, Banfield, Ferro Carril Oeste, Argentinos Juniors... in fact 13 Argentina champions, including Chacarita that is now in 2nd division).... 7 of them clubs Libertadores champions (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield and Argentinos Juniors).... which city/metropolitan area in the world has 7 continental champions?

Buenos Aires had an unfair advantage. A lot of those tournaments were metropolitan leagues without participation of the rest of the country. Only six clubs from outside of the capital are directly affiliated to the FA. The same happened with rugby. URBA was funded as late as 1995. Some clubs used to have the same voting rights as provincial unions.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 22:32

jservuk wrote:As an aside, Wakefield in England is a strange one.

About the same size as Leicester, great transport link, lots of people with well paid jobs live there (judging by the people getting off/on the trains to/from London). Nestled in that clutch of towns/cities that includes Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield.

But all they've got is a Rugby League team.

Wakefield is a bit misleading. Wakefield, a cathedral city, has population of just under 100k and one rugby league team. The City of Wakefield is a metropolitan borough of 325k people and is made up of separate rival towns. Within the City of Wakefield there are three professional rugby league teams; Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, Castleford and Featherstone.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 15 Jun 2020, 23:29

carbonero wrote:
victorsra wrote:An Argentine poster can help, but if we only count "Capital Federal", which means Buenos Aires city, and exclude all other Greater Buenos Aires cities, they have in 2020 top divisions:

- Basketball (LNB): Boca Juniors, San Lorenzo, Ferro Carril Oeste, Obras Sanitarias...

CUBA is a huge club with several locations. However, their rugby section plays games in Villa de Mayo (outside of Capital Federal).

You can also include River in the volleyball league.

victorsra wrote:But if you count all Greater Buenos Aires they have 12 in their first division.... 12 of them Argentine champions in the professional era (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield, Huracán, Lanús, Arsenal, Banfield, Ferro Carril Oeste, Argentinos Juniors... in fact 13 Argentina champions, including Chacarita that is now in 2nd division).... 7 of them clubs Libertadores champions (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Independiente, Racing, San Lorenzo, Velez Sarsfield and Argentinos Juniors).... which city/metropolitan area in the world has 7 continental champions?

Buenos Aires had an unfair advantage. A lot of those tournaments were metropolitan leagues without participation of the rest of the country. Only six clubs from outside of the capital are directly affiliated to the FA. The same happened with rugby. URBA was funded as late as 1995. Some clubs used to have the same voting rights as provincial unions.

Yes, but I believe that's the same case in Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru...

In Brazil, São Paulo-Rio rivalry made the national competition being born as national. Anyway, the Brazilian Championship was born after the expansion of the Rio-São Paulo tournament.

Next

Return to Rugby Forum