Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German Rugby restart of competitions and financing

National Flag:
Channel IslandsChannel Islands

German Rugby restart of competitions and financing

Postby Kim Lombard » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 05:43

It's official - Holland is declared winner of the pool of the German international side.
While Germany will nevertheless resume its itinerary and play the postponed games against Lithuania at home and Ukraine on the road.
(The unplayed games of Switzerland and Holland count as drawn.)

The promotion-relegation playoff game of the Dutch for the 2021 Rugby Europe Championship will not be a derby in Belgium or a trip to Portugal (who were promoted the season before.)
They will face mighty Romania instead. The Oaks were seen off by Belgium on bonus points in the truncated 2020 season.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German Rugby restart of competitions and financing

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 06:26

Kim Lombard wrote:It's official - Holland is declared winner of the pool of the German international side.
While Germany will nevertheless resume its itinerary and play the postponed games against Lithuania at home and Ukraine on the road.
(The unplayed games of Switzerland and Holland count as drawn.)

The promotion-relegation playoff game of the Dutch for the 2021 Rugby Europe Championship will not be a derby in Belgium or a trip to Portugal (who were promoted the season before.)
They will face mighty Romania instead. The Oaks were seen off by Belgium on bonus points in the truncated 2020 season.

Welcome to the forum. There is a dedicated thread for REC-things. Do you have a source for the claim that Belgium won't play Romania (they would have played in the last REC-round)?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GreenlandGreenland

Postby Vultureblack » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 14:54

ADRT - Ad hoc Convention of Rugby Germany

Did any occasional visitor of this thread attend that meaningful event on July 18, 2020 in Heusenstamm? Totalrugby.de covered the results. Deafening silence whether current issues of the federation were discussed at all. It abstained this time from offering a live ticker. Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung Heidelberg remained vague as well.

It was common wisdom in the build-up that the DRV would get its funding. Despite all the noise beforehand and the kerfuffle about Alexander Michl. So were the six hours just deliberations and voting about the size of the raise and its timing?

What about the criticism voiced beforehand? Were any of these points mentioned? (I suppose, I do not need to elaborate.)
Very often, the federation has got a story to tell about aspect that initially look odd to an outsider. Was this opportunity used?

Nobody even reported who represented the federation and spoke on its behalf (beyond president Hees, which is merely stating the obvious.)
Hearsay would also do, if reliable.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Saracenswulfpackdef » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 05:04

"odd" that is one way to put it when looking at that list. However, the current management of the federation should be given credit for not sweeping the EUR 830.000 liability under the carpet owed to Jurgen Zeiger. It is now only due at the end of 2030. Maybe that is even better news than the 165.000 afforded by the membership for 2020 and again for 2021.

Nobody will be more happy than Zeiger about this lifeline. After Harry Hees had publicly discussed alternatives for dealing with this, two of which included writing it off entirely (“build a statue for him,” “the ugly legal solution.”)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Saracenswulfpackdef » Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 06:17

to back that up (in case German is intelligible:)
https://www.rugby-verband.de/klare-wort ... rald-hees/

National Flag:

Postby Kim Lombard » Sat, 01 Aug 2020, 15:12

(To "Sarry") But this did not quite answer V's question ...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Saracenswulfpackdef » Mon, 03 Aug 2020, 15:19

Wish I knew more.
- DRV official were obviously chuffed, once they got the payments approved.
- Michl was enabled by a number of Bavarian clubs to use their votes.
- At times, the counting of the crucial votes was messy. To the extend that voting had to be repeated.
- The organizer were quite restrictive on who was allowed to witness the proceedings.
- Claus-Peter Bach, singled out by Totalrugby as a co signatory (with a majority of the state federations) of a critical letter to the DRV request for increased member participation fee (also backdated,) was present. But did not represent Baden-Wuerrtemberg (Hans-Joachim Wallenwein was.)
- Did not hear that altercations led to physical harm or any necessity for medical treatment.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 04 Aug 2020, 07:26

Saracenswulfpackdef wrote:Wish I knew more.
- DRV official were obviously chuffed, once they got the payments approved.
- Michl was enabled by a number of Bavarian clubs to use their votes.
- At times, the counting of the crucial votes was messy. To the extend that voting had to be repeated.
- The organizer were quite restrictive on who was allowed to witness the proceedings.
- Claus-Peter Bach, singled out by Totalrugby as a co signatory (with a majority of the state federations) of a critical letter to the DRV request for increased member participation fee (also backdated,) was present. But did not represent Baden-Wuerrtemberg (Hans-Joachim Wallenwein was.)

I wasn't there and haven't heard a lot about it. But I don't know what you actually want to hear. The federation is facing bankruptcy thanks to years of mismanagement and an apparent catastrophic Stalker era (as you all know I was for him and thought that a CFO of Adidas knows his money). Also it has less income from their members than their basic services (like the DRV office) costs and travels to national team games.
So we needed a pay rise (the sum each member pays to the federation is a joke for German standards. I think it is around 10€. So there were apparently arguments (which is good in a democratic society) The compromise was not a standard rise but a special contribution for 10€ this year and then another special contribution of 10€ per member next year. That's it.
Everything else is from my perspective small-minded village dispute or an Else-Kling-syndrome.

- The Bavarian federation is very well led and if you don't travel to a meeting it is smart to give your president the right to vote in your behalf. Saves costs and time. It is called efficiency. Also most Bavarian clubs were for a rise despite having close to no national team players btw. That's called foresight and solidarity.

Everything else falls under this shameful paragraph of yours. Some people love to see the world burn.

Saracenswulfpackdef wrote:- Did not hear that altercations led to physical harm or any necessity for medical treatment.

Why even bring up a rumour that there were altercations that lead to physical harm? What the actual fuck? In the age of "alternative facts", this kind of posting really makes me angry. Grow up it is not funny in the slightest.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Kim Lombard » Tue, 04 Aug 2020, 16:43

Thanks Rugbyliebe for this summary of the Totalrugby report.

The event was important enough to be present.
I trust he spoke to partipants and dissected proceedings. All in order to be in a position to give a representative account.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 07:16

Kim Lombard wrote:Thanks Rugbyliebe for this summary of the Totalrugby report.

I trust he spoke to partipants and dissected proceedings. All in order to be in a position to give a representative account.

What I heard was: long discussions about financials, nobody even brought up an alternative solution to higher fees to the Union, apart from that the regular small quarrels.
I am not sure, what else people want to know from the meeting.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Saracenswulfpackdef » Wed, 05 Aug 2020, 15:01

Kim Lombard wrote:Thanks Rugbyliebe for this summary of the Totalrugby report.

That is an accurate description of what Totalrugby is known for. Not allowing for a a live ticker was too bad through. Obvious reason - Corona cancel culture (using the WLAN might have been too dangerous.)

National Flag:

Postby Kim Lombard » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 05:31

RugbyLiebe wrote: So there were apparently arguments (which is good in a democratic society)

I see, you are taking a multi-faceted view. Lively democratic debate is something to be proud of. But this should stay behind closed doors. I actually wonder myself at times how mature the public is (let alone a forum like our esteemed 2Rugby.com)

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 06 Aug 2020, 06:45

Kim Lombard wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote: So there were apparently arguments (which is good in a democratic society)

I see, you are taking a multi-faceted view. Lively democratic debate is something to be proud of. But this should stay behind closed doors. I actually wonder myself at times how mature the public is (let alone a forum like our esteemed 2Rugby.com)

Agree 100%
We see, what the rapid tabloidization, social media brought us, leads to. It seems more important to know who had a argument with who, and not, that the DRV is now able to plan the season 2020/21 (including RET participation btw.) and apparently beforehand took the necessary time to have everyone a say about it, before voting on it.

Return to Rugby Forum