Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Highest rugby venues

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Highest rugby venues

Postby victorsra » Tue, 08 Sep 2020, 20:27

South American football is famous for matches in high altitudes, as the 3 highest capital cities in the world are in South America: La Paz (Bolviia - 3,640m), Quito (Ecuador - 2,850m) and Bogotá (Colombia - 2,625m) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _elevation Altitude brings problems to athletes and it is always a nightmare to play in such places (but I'm not against matches in those places, it is their right to play there).

Thinking about rugby, I'm trying to list the highest venues. Let's see if this is true:

Highest test match ever:
Colombia 22-47 Venezuela, 2003, @Bogota, Colombia (2,625m)
Colombia 22-17 Peru, 2003, @Bogota
Colombia 10-34 Brazil, 2003, @Bogota
Colombia 12-44 Brazil, 2001, @Bogota

Those are Colombia's only matches in Bogota. They usualy play in Medellín.

Highest regular test venue:
Mexico City, Mexico (2,240 m) - doesn't host a test since 2016
Nairobi, Kenya (1,795 m) - more regular venue

Highest sevens tournament (national teams-only)
2018 South American Games @Cochabamba, Bolivia (2,558m)

Highest professional clubs/franchises
Lions (Super Rugby) - Johannesburg, South Africa (1,753 m)... but not sure which is Ellis Park's altitude.
Last edited by victorsra on Tue, 08 Sep 2020, 20:45, edited 4 times in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Highest rugby venues

Postby victorsra » Tue, 08 Sep 2020, 20:36

Considering La Paz (3,640m) has amateur clubs (https://www.facebook.com/Lapazrugbycluboficial/), which is the highest amateur club in the world? Anyone higher?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 08 Sep 2020, 21:33

Even higher than La Paz :)

National Flag:
BoliviaBolivia

Postby Osmanperalta » Wed, 09 Sep 2020, 03:57

some guys started to create a club called panteras in Oruro (3735 m) higher than La Paz (I don't know why the name... I guess there are many panteras at the altiplano :lol: :lol: ) I hope it continues after the pandemic...
https://www.facebook.com/garrapanteras/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 09 Sep 2020, 11:00

Put it on our italian facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0689872550

Half of the news of the page are copied from this forum...

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Wed, 09 Sep 2020, 18:26

[quote="victorsra"]South American football is famous for matches in high altitudes, as the 3 highest capital cities in the world are in South America: La Paz (Bolviia - 3,640m), Quito (Ecuador - 2,850m) and Bogotá (Colombia - 2,625m) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... _elevation Altitude brings problems to athletes and it is always a nightmare to play in such places (but I'm not against matches in those places, it is their right to play there).

Thinking about rugby, I'm trying to list the highest venues. Let's see if this is true:

Highest test match ever:
Colombia 22-47 Venezuela, 2003, @Bogota, Colombia (2,625m)
Colombia 22-17 Peru, 2003, @Bogota
Colombia 10-34 Brazil, 2003, @Bogota
Colombia 12-44 Brazil, 2001, @Bogota

Those are Colombia's only matches in Bogota. They usualy play in Medellín.

Highest regular test venue:

Regardind CONMECOL championships, some Unions (Argentina and Brazil) were objecting La Paz as a venue few years ago. The justification presented by Bolivia was that there were professional teams playing at that altitude week in week out. So, the venue remained as official when Bolivia is the host.
Altitude is not an unsurmontable disadvantage for foreign teams. Chile has obtained good results in La Paz, sometimes after a special preparation in alttitude.

Your data about Rugby tests suggest that the level and preparation of the teams is more important than the altitude. Colombia lost 3 of 4 matches played in Bogotá 17 or 19 years ago, perhaps the current level of the colombian team would allow them to get better results there or in Medellin, where Rugby has developed better. I suppose the public support and the difusion of the Sport will be more important in the selection of the venue than the alttitude.

[

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 09 Sep 2020, 18:59

Yes, but in football usualy people complain more about Laz Paz than Quito and Bogota. I don't realy know what's the difference for the body when above 3.000m. I've been to Cusco (3,399 m) and haven't realy struggled, but I haven't played a rugby match there :lol: ! I guess the impact is realy big, but it is their right to play there.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 19:07

I wish the best to Panteras de Oruro. To have more clubs is a key element in the Development of Rugby in Bolivia. I guess they will have to play as visitors , otherwise they have to allow the visiting team an acclimatization period of a couple of days.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 19:25

victorsra wrote:Yes, but in football usualy people complain more about Laz Paz than Quito and Bogota. I don't realy know what's the difference for the body when above 3.000m. I've been to Cusco (3,399 m) and haven't realy struggled, but I haven't played a rugby match there :lol: ! I guess the impact is realy big, but it is their right to play there.

Victor : In the north of Chile you go up within a morning from the sea level (Arica) to Lago Chungara (4.500 mts of altitude). Although I did it by car, without exercise, I felt really bad but one of my sons had no effects at all. The local saying is : From Socoroma (3.060 mts.)up is difficult, from Socoroma down is OK. It is clear that the people who live at a certain altitude get their organisms used to it, but in that region 3.000 mts seems to be a valid limit for the people coming u from the coast level.

Return to Rugby Forum