Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Autumn Nations Cup 2020

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Autumn Nations Cup 2020

Postby kearnc25 » Sat, 05 Dec 2020, 19:17

GeoRugby wrote:Fiji wins 38-24. I think Fiji would have been first in their group if they played.

I doubt it France are at the moment close to the best team in the world and I think Scotland while a close game would still be favourites.

Anyway there have been a lot of Georgian players in this tournament that have been very impressive and as you are coming out of a generation gap it is invaluable that these young players had this opportunity. I hope you do get home tests against Scotland next year to kick on further.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 05 Dec 2020, 21:48

Someone here in the forum wrote that the general plans for next summer are two tests for Ireland in the Pacific Islands and two tests for Italy in New Zealand. I don't know if it is a solid voice but in the case I would purpose to IRFU a permute: they go in NZ, we go to Samoa, Fiji and Tonga (maybe with a stop in the Cook; the head-to-head is still Cook 1 Italy 0 :geek: )

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Sat, 05 Dec 2020, 22:35

Italy had an impressive performance for 60 minutes again. If they can continue to develop their squad in order to have more impact off the bench and get the fitness up they can be a force.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 01:00

I feel sorry for Matiashvili. He looked like at last a really exciting Georgian back, rather than an industrial one, and he seems to go backwards or quickly overtaken by Niniashvili. Had he had too many issues with injuries or is it just the fact of returning to Georgia what is making him lag?

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 12:56

Armchair Fan wrote:I feel sorry for Matiashvili. He looked like at last a really exciting Georgian back, rather than an industrial one, and he seems to go backwards or quickly overtaken by Niniashvili. Had he had too many issues with injuries or is it just the fact of returning to Georgia what is making him lag?

Fullback position has been a headache for Georgia for years now. There is a reason why Kvirikashvili lasted in this position for years even though they should have found a replacement for him long before he left. Someone is not doing their job properly as far as finding talent and developing it for certain positions. Matiashvili is not a fullback. He is horrible as last man in defense, and his decision making on the field speaks for itself. I think he is more useful as a winger in REC.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 15:21

Armchair Fan
Matiashvili was good and progressing when he played for his native (Fine Arts) Akademia
Since he moved to Lelo Saracens he has stalled
And he did that move just to appease Lelo coach who doubled | doubles as Lelos coach :: UGLY ::
Last edited by FLIDTA RISXVA on Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 15:25

Thanks.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 15:27

Armchair Fan
Watching ENG-FRA and Owen missing goalable penalties
I accidentally clicked SUBMIT before completing my writ

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 15:53

Have NOT they read their OWN rules?

https://www.autumnnationscup.com/about-us/

A Tied Match: In the event of a tie at full-time in a play-off Match,
the teams will be placed according to the number of tries (including penalty tries)
scored by each such team in the play-off Match.

If the teams have scored the same number of tries (including penalty tries),
then the team that has conceded the fewest number of penalties during the play-off Match shall prevail.

If two Participating teams are still tied, then the Participating team whose team is ranked highest
in the official World Rugby rankings as at 12 November 2020 shall prevail.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Sun, 06 Dec 2020, 18:21

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:Have NOT they read their OWN rules?

https://www.autumnnationscup.com/about-us/

A Tied Match: In the event of a tie at full-time in a play-off Match,
the teams will be placed according to the number of tries (including penalty tries)
scored by each such team in the play-off Match.

If the teams have scored the same number of tries (including penalty tries),
then the team that has conceded the fewest number of penalties during the play-off Match shall prevail.

If two Participating teams are still tied, then the Participating team whose team is ranked highest
in the official World Rugby rankings as at 12 November 2020 shall prevail.

Correct.
However, this way or another England claimed the eight nations trophy, though did not deserve it.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Her Man » Mon, 07 Dec 2020, 19:03

datodato wrote:The game is so rusty at the moment and with all the talk about kicking etc. I think it is very easy to miss how incredibly horrific the refereeing has been these past weeks, it is a mixture of lottery and inconsistency. This also goes for the Tri Nations, but especially for the Autumn Cup. The sport is in a bad spot, I cannot imagine someone watching a game of the Autumn Nations Cup and becoming a Rugby fan but even worse - the officiating and the over-inflated rule book is turning off a lot of fans I guess. So many penalties are random in the scrum and in the breakdown, coming down also to the fact that not a single high class referee has played the game as a forward I guess. For example when the Ref penalised Fiji for not using the ball for more than 5 seconds - well nobody in the game before or after that did it. Also going off the feet in the ruck is kind of real opportunity to give penalties to teams the ref liked more that morning. It is incredibly weird that referees have a huge influence on the game (a penalty will give you basicly a try scoring opportunity or get you out of one 50m+) but at the same time the rules are unclear, interpretable and randomly used at times.

SPOT ON. Last weekend was terrible as to referees, with sort of beginning at Wallabies vs Pumas clash.
And after yesterdays final at Twickenham even The Guardian journalists wrote of shameful refs performance. But however first ice is broken, the subject is still untouchable I guess - here on the forum too.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Tue, 08 Dec 2020, 07:32

Part of the problem is it's incredibly hard to criticise the refereeing without just seeming to be sour grapes about your own particular team's outcome. Inherently, Every decision they make benefits one team at the expense of the other

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Tue, 08 Dec 2020, 08:06

I thought Mathew Carley in the Ireland - Scotland match was outstanding.
Calm, consistent and with an air of authority.
But what's most, he appeared to be well aware of what goes on in the front row for example.

He dealt swiftly with props dropping the shoulder or squeezing the elbow which made for stable scrumaging in the rest of the game.
I hope to see more of him in the future.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 08 Dec 2020, 08:21

To me, the referee's mistakes are part of the game, like a bad bounce. It's right that there's a commission judging their mistakes but the fans should stay away as much as possible from discussing referees' performances.
For two reasons.
The first one is that complaining after a rugby match is (to me) like hearing a poetry duel between Shakespeare and Marlowe and at the end seeing the loser starting complaining because while he was declaiming there was too wind or a bird passing in the sky: you fall from the highness of the fair duel to the lowness of the little complaints.
The second reason is that people unconsciously tend to see just or mostly the mistakes against their team; in these days in Italy also the specialized websites, not only the fans, are analazying the referee's mistakes, or supposed ones. In good faith they affirm that they do that just for the good of the game and for the good of the players. But strangely all the mistakes highlighted are against Italy, no one in favor. I don't remember to have ever read an italian article saying "there's a referees problem, yesterday they favored Italy twice!"

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 08 Dec 2020, 09:30

I agree with that but there is also a very strong resistance to criticism from refereeing circles and a reluctance to accept that better management of the referees will improve performance. There is also lack of clear thinking with regards to the TMO, what is its purpose, what can it do and more importantly what it can not do.

A basic idea for instance would be for referees, touch judges and TMOs to form teams and officiate matches together consistently. Currently officials are treated like the Barbarians and thrown together match to match, is it a surprise that Romain Poite blatantly didn't trust the TMO MacNiece's thoughts when he's hardly worked with him and was conscious of the big error he made the week before? Did Whitehouse spot the knock on and not think it was his place to inform Brace, or not spot it because he isn't used to being a TMO (or genuinely didn't think it was a knock on?).

Similarly we still have the referees and TJs operating mainly independently of one and another. Offside and the ruck are the two most common areas of the game where decisions are needed, we have seen no innovations from officials trying to marshal that really. We could have the referee signal a tackle is complete (arm straight in the air?) and stand where he thinks the back foot is, he could then drop the arm when the ball is out. The TJs then watch for the defenders going early or setting up too high up the ruck. They wouldn't have to decide if it was a tackle, where the back foot was or when the ball was out. Players on both sides would be able to tell when the referee deemed the ball out.

But there never seems to be any discussion about that or other ideas to improve the current way of officiating at the top level, just rhetoric that "they're only human" and "it is very hard", which no one can dispute but doesn't really help move us forward.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum