Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Autumn Nations Cup 2020

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Autumn Nations Cup 2020

Postby brules » Sun, 15 Nov 2020, 20:40

victorsra wrote:
brules wrote:The main challenge for Georgia in this tournament is that for the first time they play 5 games in 5 weeks against much better sides. Obviously, you cannot play at 110% of your capabilities each game and you need a lot of depth.

Georgia would rotate its squad in the REC, definitly. And it is also possible to simply change REC's format to have by weekends in this period (not that complicated and it worths because allow matches with bigger value).

For exemple, REC could become a 2 groups of 3 teams competition. That would mean, for exemple, matches only on Weekends 1, 4 (doubling with RWCQ) and 7 and a big final between group champions in July. Relegation playoffs also July with 3rds playing RET's Champion and Runners up (Ranking defining the draw maybe). This keeps all REC teams playing 5 matches (+ 2 byes) in February/March :)

Sorry, with "this tournament" I was referring to the autumn nations cup.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 01:39

Georgia is not in a good spot right now and lots of rugby fans are mocking the idea that Georgia deserves a shot at the Six Nations. So this tournament is pretty bad timing for Georgia since they finally get a shot to play these teams when they can’t fully take advantage of the situation.

However, the key part here is that Georgia is finally getting Tier 1 opposition. As Victor pointed out, they haven’t even played England since 2011, Ireland since 2014 and France since ??? The key takeaway from this tournament is showing just how Georgia is lacking any Tier 1 opposition and that we need to give them more. Still think they shouldn’t be in Six Nations? That’s fine, but don’t follow that up by saying that England or Ireland shouldn’t be playing Georgia because it’s a less marketable match.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 02:13

Part of me wonders if this tournament could be the springboard to an actual Rugby Euro. We’re seeing shifts in structures down in the Southern Hemisphere with Fiji Drua being given provisional approval to join Australia and New Zealand in a new Super Rugby format, maybe something can evolve in Europe from this. This tournament was of course created out of necessity, and Georgia was pretty much ignored until there were no options left to fill in the last spot in the tournament. But maybe it can be the springboard to something bigger. If the traditional Autumn internationals are in a phase of interruption with no clear return in sight then the 6 Nation may be forced through necessity to look closer to their own boarders to find competition.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 08:37

GeoRugby wrote:
As for the game, it all went as expected. Our current generation is physically weaker and smaller than our last generation and the tiny improvement in technical aspects isn't enough to fill the gap from the huge drop in the quality of Scrum, Maul, and Line out. Not to mention killer tackles and huge carries. We are literally toothless, all we can do is defend and even there the last generation was better.

Agreed. As far as just defending though, Georgia is not willing to pass the ball, use their backs against tier1 nations. Useless box kicks will only get you so far. We talk about some promising backs coming up for Georgia, but they are not being utilized during the game except to defend. Georgia needs a coach that will DEMAND to execute the game plan, not just politely ask, because I get the feeling that whatever game plan they may have before the kickoff , players just don't follow it during the game, because the afraid to take some risks.

Yes that's it ... every time this team is playing T1, it's like if they shit on themselves in the first half. Box kick is useless, they just reput the pressure on them. They can't just try to defend for a whole half, especially against a team like England.
If there's one thing that your guys has to learn from this tournament, it's to gain confidence in themselves. 4 or 5 games vs T1 in a row is a first experience for them, they have to learn something from this ... I hope they will improve before the end of the tournament, otherwise that would only be a bad publicity for the Georgia NT. Because showing absolutely nothing for 80 minutes ... that's hard.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 10:56

T2 nations being afraid to play to their backs against T1 opposition has been a common thing in the past but it’s happening less and less these days As their confidence grows. But this is something Georgia haven’t been able to shake off. We’ve seen plenty of matches over the last few years where they get stage fright and concede the first half against T1’s before being able to rally somewhat in the second. It’s a pattern that has persisted. The only match I can recall they played where that didn’t happen was against Australia, their defence that day was superb and what little action the backs got produced points. It was probably their best performance against T1 opposition. But yeah, whilst other T2/3 nations are willing to trust their backs more and more these days, I’ve seen it with Spain, Romania, Brazil, Russia, even Chile looked good in their backs recently, the Georgians seem too afraid to send the ball wide and instead work with scraps. US are kinda the same.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 12:11

thatrugbyguy wrote:T2 nations being afraid to play to their backs against T1 opposition has been a common thing in the past but it’s happening less and less these days As their confidence grows. But this is something Georgia haven’t been able to shake off. We’ve seen plenty of matches over the last few years where they get stage fright and concede the first half against T1’s before being able to rally somewhat in the second. It’s a pattern that has persisted. The only match I can recall they played where that didn’t happen was against Australia, their defence that day was superb and what little action the backs got produced points. It was probably their best performance against T1 opposition. But yeah, whilst other T2/3 nations are willing to trust their backs more and more these days, I’ve seen it with Spain, Romania, Brazil, Russia, even Chile looked good in their backs recently, the Georgians seem too afraid to send the ball wide and instead work with scraps. US are kinda the same.

Hasn't always been the case with Georgia though. Back in 2011 World cup they tried to play wide game using their backs and very often succeeded even against tier 1 teams. Georgia ended up with better territory and possession numbers in pool game against England if I remember correctly. Again, I think it is up to the coach to force players to get out of their comfort zone.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 14:25

I think the limitations and lack of confidence of Georgia's backs highlights the need for these domestically based players to have a higher level tournament to play in.

A tournament including a team from Georgia, the Cheetahs, Pumas and Griquas from Super Rugby, and some Russian teams would be great. Obviously it would need to be financed but from a rugby perspective for Georgia and Russia it would be fantastic.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Mon, 16 Nov 2020, 16:20

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I think the limitations and lack of confidence of Georgia's backs highlights the need for these domestically based players to have a higher level tournament to play in.

A tournament including a team from Georgia, the Cheetahs, Pumas and Griquas from Super Rugby, and some Russian teams would be great. Obviously it would need to be financed but from a rugby perspective for Georgia and Russia it would be fantastic.

Georgian franchise was going to play in Currie Cup first division tournament this year, but... COVID...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 18:38

Italy-Fiji called off after 29 positive cases. I suspect France probably is behind them...
https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 4209671168

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 18:52

Thanks Armchair, already re-posted in our facebook page
Very disappointing if confirmed, it was maybe the most interesting game for Azzurri in the tournament. And due to this eventual out-of-field victory we would probably miss also the game with Georgia, so matching again just other 6N teams

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 18:52

Armchair Fan wrote:Italy-Fiji called off after 29 positive cases. I suspect France probably is behind them...
https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 4209671168

French Virus.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:01

The Fiji team in quarantine to ensure they get to play the rest of the games.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/autumn-n ... uarantine/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby brules » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:06

29 out of how many?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby brules » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:07

This is a very bad news, I was looking forward to this game. It would have been a very important test for Italy.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:07

France awarded a 28-0 victory over Fiji due to them being deemed the reason the match has been called off (though no blame is being put on Fiji according to the article).

https://www.autumnnationscup.com/2020/1 ... inst-fiji/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:14

kearnc25 wrote:The Fiji team in quarantine to ensure they get to play the rest of the games.

Of course I hope they will be able to play, but if almost the whole team must stay in individual isolation for the next ten days it will be hard to have a competitive Fiji squad in the third round

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby kearnc25 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:19

Canalina wrote:
kearnc25 wrote:The Fiji team in quarantine to ensure they get to play the rest of the games.

Of course I hope they will be able to play, but if almost the whole team must stay in individual isolation for the next ten days it will be hard to have a competitive Fiji squad in the third round

Good point.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby Nikoloz » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:23

29 positive tests in Fiji squad ((

They were "locked" or not? How they managed to be the only team from 8 to catch the virus?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:35

Italy v Fiji Match cancellation

https://www.autumnnationscup.com/2020/11/17/italy-v-fiji-match-cancellation/

29!! what kind of Bio protocols where in place?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 20:04

Don't blame the players. It only takes one to catch it in the 24 hours prior to training camp and not being positive in first test to fuck everybody. A team sharing everything in training camp is very vulnerable. It could have happened to anyone. If anybody is to blame it's Autumn Nations Cup for not having plan B, C and D given circumstances.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 20:12

Some people are super spreaders too and you can't know who can be one.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 20:21

Armchair Fan wrote:Don't blame the players. It only takes one to catch it in the 24 hours prior to training camp and not being positive in first test to fuck everybody. A team sharing everything in training camp is very vulnerable. It could have happened to anyone. If anybody is to blame it's Autumn Nations Cup for not having plan B, C and D given circumstances.

I am not blaming the players by any stretch I am just saying that the protocols failed. something is a miss in the setup and confinement of the team.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 20:33

I can't imagine plans B or C, honestly.
Also Petrarca Padova had 29 positive responses (the same exact amount), few weeks ago, and they are considered one of the most professional clubs in the italian championship. Since the up-spring of the contagion, Petrarca had to postpone four consecutive games, included the next weekend one; so it will be hard to see Fiji in this tournament

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 21:02

Canalina wrote:I can't imagine plans B or C, honestly.

Having a Barbarian side training, having asked Russia or Romania to be ready just in case, even Portugal is training right now... If this is done for the TV money, they should have had plans to offer all the expected matches.

Postby Raven » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 09:19

Armchair Fan wrote:
Canalina wrote:I can't imagine plans B or C, honestly.

Having a Barbarian side training, having asked Russia or Romania to be ready just in case, even Portugal is training right now... If this is done for the TV money, they should have had plans to offer all the expected matches.

Seems a lot easier said than done,

I get your point (and the hint of frustration as well - also shared, as "we" as an audience are deprived of more international rugby, specially T2 Rugby, which we don't see that often) but do you imagine the likes of Spain / Russia or Romania training "just in case"? and once they are given a hypothetical 'green light' they would have to travel to a given 'last minute' location, with diverse sanitary protocols... Perhaps a BaaBaa's side, but see what happened to 'their' last fixture v England!

Nah, a replacement team was never going to be a real option. What I don't understand is, and maybe we can agree or further discuss; 1- Against France there were 4 cases, my first thought was, don't let those 4 play and field a team with what is left of the squad (perhaps very unprofessional for these days), clearly after seeing what happened, that would have been a Corona Bomb given on how it spread after?, or was there a breach after knowing of those cases? 2- It is really hard to understand how they didn't have a contingency plan as to an alternative date to play these matches, it's weak that the alternative of the tournament is a plain "points to the 'uninfected team'"... kind of the same feeling I had when the RWC games where postponed because of venues that where affected with the Typhoon, you know it may happen, have an alterative date / venue ready!

On a humour note, isn't this what most T2 followers have been waiting for? a 6 Nations + Georgia? :D So, hurray! a toast to the "7 Nations" finally - for 1 time only :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum