Nov 1&6: Uruguay vs Spain

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Nov 1&6: Uruguay vs Spain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 00:43

Sunday 1st November - 19:00 GMT
Friday 6th November - 22:00 GMT

Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo

Streamed by Sudamérica Rugby app (and hopefully YouTube)

Starting line-ups for the first test match:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Nov 1&6: Uruguay vs Spain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 00:46

Our squad for the first game is frankly disappointing from a Spanish fan perspective. Because it's probably as competitive as we can field, but it's not what we expected from this tour once we accepted there wouldn't be most of our French pros. One can hardly understand what is the point of sending so many youngsters to the other end of the world for almost three weeks not to give them proper game time in the last two matches pre-RWC qualifiers.

I mean, we can win, but I wished Oier Goia was at least in the match sheet, one of Periel or Barranco were given a shot as centres instead of giving Güemes a debut out of position or Rábago, since Güemes can kick, it's frustrating to see Vinuesa on the bench to put a Mélé coming out of retirement as starting fly-half... At least we've got Díaz as 1, Aurrekoetxea as 9 and Merkler as replacement 3 but it's not enough at this stage and for such a match.

We're going for the 16th spot in the rankings at the cost of sacrificing valuable opportunities for our future.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 02:39

Every test Is important and all team must try to win.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 14:35

If you get the youtube link and want to post it, I would be glad to open it

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 17:07

I hope victorsra can help us, but I'd try my luck here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Sudamericarugby/live

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 19:39

Uruguay 10-12 Spain at 25 min. FH.
https://twitter.com/rugbyuruguay?lang=es

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby argie » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 19:41

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 19:50

HT 10-15

Uruguay horrible in lineouts, Spain horrible in handling.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 20:55

I didn't expect this result or the way the game went. I thought before kick off Uruguay were stronger then at HT had serious doubts that Uruguay could win. Spain soaking up all the pressure was impressive.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 21:06

Well done, Spain!

Sorry, I couldn't find an YouTube link...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 21:10

Very similar to the Russia game earlier this year. At least we are a recogniseable team whoever we field.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 01 Nov 2020, 22:18

Highlights

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 02 Nov 2020, 00:42

Thomas wrote:I didn't expect this result or the way the game went. I thought before kick off Uruguay were stronger then at HT had serious doubts that Uruguay could win. Spain soaking up all the pressure was impressive.

Such a shame that the Spanish Union couldn't have had all their ducks in order and have avoided the whole RWC qualification mess. Not sure the overall strength of Uruguay but they certainly would have added more competitiveness than Russia from the looks of this result.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Mon, 02 Nov 2020, 16:49

Armchair Fan wrote:HT 10-15

Armchair : te taparon la boca con el último try ¡¡¡
I only saw the highligts but I got the impression that the pack is much stronger than 2019 version which came to South America, but the backline looks similar. Am I right?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 02 Nov 2020, 17:05

ficcp wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:HT 10-15

Armchair : te taparon la boca con el último try ¡¡¡
I only saw the highligts but I got the impression that the pack is much stronger than 2019 version which came to South America, but the backline looks similar. Am I right?

Fortunately yes, but it was the only real flash of the game (with four subs intervening). And it reminded me to a similar late try in Russia last February. I'd say we finish games better than rivals both because of bench depth and good S&C.

Regarding the comparison between 2019 June tour squad and this one... on paper pack isn't stronger. Front row was a huge concern before the game. Thierry Futeu and Alberto Blanco would still be ahead of guys currently in Uruguay, Steve Barnes has played one game in the last 15 months, José Díaz and Joel Merkler are extremely young... Locks and third row are more or less the same.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Mon, 02 Nov 2020, 18:57

How many Spanish players on this current roster qualify on residency?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 02 Nov 2020, 19:02

From yesterday's 23, I believe 10. But Hogg and Munilla have spent all their youth in Malaga province despite being born abroad.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 13:48

Our squad for the second test match, very few changes:

Sorry but I have to repeat myself. We've sent guys to the other end of the world not to play a single minute (Periel, Ortiz, Vélez) and our big Spanish-raised hope for fly-half only played 15 minutes (Vinuesa). If we don't test young prospects in these matches, I don't know when we will.

Postby Raven » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 14:20

Armchair Fan wrote:Sorry but I have to repeat myself. We've sent guys to the other end of the world not to play a single minute (Periel, Ortiz, Vélez) and our big Spanish-raised hope for fly-half only played 15 minutes (Vinuesa). If we don't test young prospects in these matches, I don't know when we will.

Well, maybe you should consider the positives or what idea might Santos have for the REC. Surely he has a squad of 30 in his head already out of which he'll have to then juggle depening on who gets permition to leave for what matches, and there should be a good number of players based in France.

That being said, with the current situation in France, Nationale + Fed 1 & 2 has been postponed for now so how much rugby will these players have prior to the tournament is also a bit uncertain.

Perhaps what should / could have been done is put ranking points aside, play as URU XV / Spain XV and give everybody playing time as the Sudamericano? There must be a reason why they couldn't have it like that.

I look forward to the second clash.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 14:38

I don't think World Rugby would have bankrolled the trip if these games weren't test matches.

Look, I can understand Santos' rationale. I understand the #1 priority is reaching 2023 RWC and these guys are probably fourth or fifth options in their positions. Our backs' performance doesn't match our forwards, it's clever not to touch the starting XV too much so they can build on what they got last Sunday. But these kids are our guys, they are young and rugby doesn't end in 2023. As long as we haven't got a franchise or an A side, games like these are the only option to test them in real international matches.

To me we won't exploit the full potential of this tour, and this has nothing to do with results. We could win by 40 tomorrow and I'd think the same.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Postby Salta » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 14:39

Armchair Fan wrote:
Sorry but I have to repeat myself. We've sent guys to the other end of the world not to play a single minute (Periel, Ortiz, Vélez) and our big Spanish-raised hope for fly-half only played 15 minutes (Vinuesa). If we don't test young prospects in these matches, I don't know when we will.

How many starting players are Spain missing?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 14:46

Salta wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:

How many starting players are Spain missing?

I don't know what do you mean, sorry. So I'm giving you two answers :lol:

Compared to the first game, there are two changes: at 1 Fernando López starts, Leandro Wozniak (uncapped) is in the bench and José Díaz didn't make the 23 and at 9, Facundo Munilla starts and Kerman Aurrekoetxea is in the bench.

Regarding the ideal squad we are missing basically all of it except for back row. Futeu at 1, Pinto at 2, Civil/Blanco/Zabala at 3, Peters/Guillaume/Usárraga as locks, Gibouin in the back row, Rouet/Rubio/T.Munilla at 9, maybe Segonds at 10, Jorba/M.Alonso at wings, Gimeno/Perrin/Nueno/A.Alonso as centers and Malié/Bell as fullback.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 15:09

Damn, we urgently need to go to Asia! :D

Postby Raven » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 15:57

Armchair Fan wrote:I don't think World Rugby would have bankrolled the trip if these games weren't test matches.

Look, I can understand Santos' rationale. I understand the #1 priority is reaching 2023 RWC and these guys are probably fourth or fifth options in their positions. Our backs' performance doesn't match our forwards, it's clever not to touch the starting XV too much so they can build on what they got last Sunday. But these kids are our guys, they are young and rugby doesn't end in 2023. As long as we haven't got a franchise or an A side, games like these are the only option to test them in real international matches.

To me we won't exploit the full potential of this tour, and this has nothing to do with results. We could win by 40 tomorrow and I'd think the same.

But you said it yourself, rugby doesn't end in 2023, and surely between now and then these youngsters (and more others) will have their opportunities. At the end of the day, it's just 2 games and you need some players to get more playing time than others as they might have to fill in some gaps before than others. Another possibility is that they didn't look quite ready yet!...

Armchair Fan wrote:Regarding the ideal squad we are missing basically all of it except for back row. Futeu at 1, Pinto at 2, Civil/Blanco/Zabala at 3, Peters/Guillaume/Usárraga as locks, Gibouin in the back row, Rouet/Rubio/T.Munilla at 9, maybe Segonds at 10, Jorba/M.Alonso at wings, Gimeno/Perrin/Nueno/A.Alonso as centers and Malié/Bell as fullback.

That would be a very exciting squad to see indeed. I quite like Güemes though, he'd be in my starting 10. Lopez could also work as a good impact player.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 05 Nov 2020, 19:12

Two changes in Los Teros squad. Pujadas, who did a great job in the second half, starts instead of Gattas, while Iruleguy will be on the bench:

Next

Return to Rugby Forum