Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

German rugby

Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 10:24
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby DragonMike » Wed, 05 Feb 2020, 20:23

Just out of interest, anyone know how the viewing figures were the 6 nations on P7maxx on the weekend?

I was on the ran.de website and scrolling through all menus to find the rugby, until i realized that it is now a menu of its own on the top bar next to NFL and football. Amazing!

Posts: 298
Joined: Fri, 01 Aug 2014, 10:24
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby DragonMike » Wed, 05 Feb 2020, 20:31

suofficer wrote:A bit off topic, but we are going to Cologne on tour this summer from London. The tour operator has mucked us around quite a bit as we have requested a friday night game. They have finally come back and offered us Aachen. It seems to be about an hour drive away from Cologne , we play in Level 6 here in England. We are looking for a good game, not a high level one. But something to base tour around. How do you think that opposition sounds ? also any reccommendations for bars in cologne....


Aachen are a good team, if they put out their full first team and you have a mixture of levels they will make you work.

In general it might surprise you but Friday games are hard to organize in Germany, especially as touring teams tend to come during the German season without realizing it, an only a few cities have lots of clubs (Hamburg, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hannover, Heidelberg) so at most teams are only able to scrape together a 2s if they have one, or you are dependant on no games being on and players being in the mood to host. There are actually tons of touring teams coming to major cities in Germany, and it is often more a case of politely deferring than welcoming with opening arms, as it is such an easy hop from the UK. When I lived in the UK we found more happy hunting grounds further east in the countries without RFU permission to tour, like Greece etc.

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 06 Feb 2020, 07:42

DragonMike wrote:Just out of interest, anyone know how the viewing figures were the 6 nations on P7maxx on the weekend?

I was on the ran.de website and scrolling through all menus to find the rugby, until i realized that it is now a menu of its own on the top bar next to NFL and football. Amazing!


I missed checking them out (the top3 of each tv channel are normally only public for 3 days). Will see if I'll get them from somewhere else. Probably not that exciting, with the Super Bowl dominating everything last weekend.

Edit: found the sunday figures. Not in the Top3. So under 223k for le Crunch.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 23
Joined: Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 05:18
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby Saracenswulfpackdef » Thu, 06 Feb 2020, 22:04

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Saracenswulfpackdef wrote:And did not somebody write on the forum dedicated to the Continental Club competition, that the whole thing is called off? Old farts like Simon Halliday and his federation being obstinate again like they had been with the Heidelberg Titans?


Yeah. Strange that those involved are actively talking about the upcoming comp while there are supposed rumours of its demise. Certainly doesn't seem so.


The interesting thing is how little this is discussed in the German rugby community. It got a bit better of late. But the main question is still entirely up in the air: To what degree will 1880 get players from other German clubs on loan. There is only rudimental speculation about this. Overall, the understanding about the drivers of this Kontinental league development is not too mature.
Example: Head scratching about Georgia. Simply not known is the long term Georgian participation in the Currie Cup. How could they bother playing less competitive Russian sides? Also with so many forwards playing abroad, the local forces obviously have to be concentrated in one team. And it remains to be seen how the local talent of the Lelos will cope. Other examples are the little understood consideration of the countries next in line to perhaps join. Or the climate factor (comparable to Mediterrenean countries, Tiflis or Kutasi are much warmer then Krasny Yar / Yennisey. So no need to push into the summer break)
Last edited by Saracenswulfpackdef on Sat, 08 Feb 2020, 06:49, edited 2 times in total.

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 07 Feb 2020, 07:44

First news in Germany about the new Euro cup.

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/10121/37/

Most interesting fact: those two games against Slava are directly in the middle of the Trophy games, so speculation is, that actually the national team would play as 1880. As "guest" players from other teams are allowed, this would be a great thing. Our Bundesliga guys, which now form the national team need that kind of games.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 20:54
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby HDHead » Mon, 10 Feb 2020, 11:29

News on Twitter from chairman M.Wilhelm (unfortunately in german as an answer to "Matthias Hase"):

"Der Wettbewerb ist nicht von Rugby Europe sanktioniert [Anm.: "sanktionieren" im Sinne von billigen/gutheißen], in Gegenteil, RE fordert seine Mitgliedsverbände dazu auf ihren Vereinen die Teilnahme zu untersagen, wenn möglich. Nur mal so."

"Von den Initiatoren gab es immer wieder weniger seriöse Vorschläge und auch die Basis-Anforderungen für int. Wettbewerbe (z.B. bezügl. Player Welfare) sind nicht garantiert. RE arbeitet aber an einem ähnlichen Projekt"

Question by Twitter user:

"Daraus resultierend ist also die Annahme korrekt, dass es sich um ein rein "privat" veranstaltetes Einladungsturnier handelt, dessen Sieger keineswegs Teil eines int. Cups sein wird, richtig?"

Answer from M.Wilhelm:

"Korrekt!"

Posts: 23
Joined: Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 05:18
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby Saracenswulfpackdef » Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 16:50

It has been written before, but a local newspaper known for its proximity to Frankfurt 1880 has got the confirmation that the whole thing is off.

According to hearsay, 1880 players did not see it coming either. Marquee December signing Nathaniel Peteru could not be spotted in the Frankfurt squad for the league game in Luxembourg last Saturday either. Looks like he will have only turned up for the team once.

Whoever was supposed to cough up the dough for this competition has got to be replaced. In case there will be another go next season.

Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: German rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 26 Feb 2020, 17:05

Saracenswulfpackdef wrote:It has been written before, but a local newspaper known for its proximity to Frankfurt 1880 has got the confirmation that the whole thing is off.

According to hearsay, 1880 players did not see it coming either. Marquee December signing Nathaniel Peteru could not be spotted in the Frankfurt squad for the league game in Luxembourg last Saturday either. Looks like he will have only turned up for the team once.

Whoever was supposed to cough up the dough for this competition has got to be replaced. In case there will be another go next season.


Do you mean the competition is cancelled, or that Frankfurt 1880 are out of it but the tournament is still happening?

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 08:04

Anton Segner is nominated for the New Zealand U20 training squad - despite being not eligible until 2023ish.

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/10147/36/

He was in New Zealand in 2017, but then left it for more than six weeks and only come back in 2018. Therefore he falls under the 5 years regulation.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1107
Joined: Wed, 15 Mar 2017, 09:56
National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: German rugby

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 08:06

RugbyLiebe wrote:Anton Segner is nominated for the New Zealand U20 training squad - despite being not eligible until 2023ish.

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/10147/36/

He was in New Zealand in 2017, but then left it for more than six weeks and only come back in 2018. Therefore he falls under the 5 years regulation.

I'm not sure there are the same rules for age grade.

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 27 Feb 2020, 08:18

Bogdan_DC wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:Anton Segner is nominated for the New Zealand U20 training squad - despite being not eligible until 2023ish.

http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/10147/36/

He was in New Zealand in 2017, but then left it for more than six weeks and only come back in 2018. Therefore he falls under the 5 years regulation.

I'm not sure there are the same rules for age grade.


There apparently are:

Mau has been invited despite the fact he will not be available for the side as he has not fulfilled residency requirements. He was born in Tonga and only moved to New Zealand during his secondary school years.

Colts coach Craig Philpott said Mau and Tasman loose forward Anton Segner were seen as being a big part of the New Zealand scene in the future so it was important the duo had access to the development opportunities at the camp.


https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/four- ... s-u20-team
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 28
Joined: Thu, 27 Jun 2019, 18:57
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby Rumpelstilzchen » Mon, 09 Mar 2020, 13:35

Sadly the viewing figures for the Six Nations in German tv are disastrous: http://www.quotenmeter.de/n/116494/gord ... -primetime

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 14:08

The German rugby Union hast postponed all rugby games in Germany for this upcoming weekend. It is very likely that we will see a ban for all games for the next weeks to come soon as well.

While I hate it, I think it is indeed a necessary step. Judging from my club, our kids come from many, many different schools. We already had 4 kids from 4 different schools staying home for suspected cases in their environment including one of my kids. All cases are thankfully cleared now, but rugby for its nature of bringing people together from an area of more than 20-30km is designated to become a multiplicator for viruses like this one - at least in underdeveloped rugby countries like Germany.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 5849
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: German rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 14:17

Probably a good decision.

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 15:45

Germany is rugby's 7th biggest market ahead of Italy and Ireland.

"With Rugby World Cup a proven inspirer of new fans, 52 percent of people who followed the tournament in emerging markets did so for the first time.

Japan was not the only market that experienced impressive growth during RWC 2019. Driven by a move to free-to-air broadcast, Germany became the seventh highest viewing territory globally with 10.82 million cumulative viewers tuning in.

That put Germany ahead of Italy and Ireland in terms of cumulative viewers and contributed to a rise in the cumulative audience of more than 55 per cent across German-speaking European countries."


https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springb ... s-20200311


Edit: that's a plus of 69% from 2015 according to this piece from the RWC 2015

In Germany, where free-to-air live coverage was broadcast for the first time by Eurosport, the cumulative tournament audience was 6.4 million, with the number of coverage hours rising from 18 to 86. Furthermore, the German audience for the Rugby World Cup final has grown by 74 per cent since 2007, the last time the tournament was played in Europe.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/161402
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 16:08

So how does these promising figures correspond with the low numbers 6 nations currently have in german TV?

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 16:25

germanbullsfan wrote:So how does these promising figures correspond with the low numbers 6 nations currently have in german TV?


I would suggest, that a closed shop tournament is simply not interesting enough for viewers in other countries. But that's no rocket science.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 28
Joined: Thu, 27 Jun 2019, 18:57
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby Rumpelstilzchen » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 18:43

thatrugbyguy wrote:Probably a good decision.

I don't like it. A game of XV's without spectators would have less than 50 people involved, half of which meet twice a week for practice anyway. I think the DRV is a bit overzealous in this case, even in respect of the recommendations of the RKI.

RugbyLiebe wrote:
germanbullsfan wrote:So how does these promising figures correspond with the low numbers 6 nations currently have in german TV?


I would suggest, that a closed shop tournament is simply not interesting enough for viewers in other countries. But that's no rocket science.

I think it's mostly because people don't know what the Six Nations are. You're rigth in that it is a private competition and thus not very appealing, but it's still the de facto European championship.

Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: German rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 11 Mar 2020, 19:13

Rumpelstilzchen wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Probably a good decision.

I don't like it. A game of XV's without spectators would have less than 50 people involved, half of which meet twice a week for practice anyway. I think the DRV is a bit overzealous in this case, even in respect of the recommendations of the RKI.

RugbyLiebe wrote:
germanbullsfan wrote:So how does these promising figures correspond with the low numbers 6 nations currently have in german TV?


I would suggest, that a closed shop tournament is simply not interesting enough for viewers in other countries. But that's no rocket science.

I think it's mostly because people don't know what the Six Nations are. You're rigth in that it is a private competition and thus not very appealing, but it's still the de facto European championship.


That is interesting though. It does suggest that a European Championship could generate a lot of interest from German speaking Europe.

User avatar
Posts: 229
Joined: Tue, 22 Apr 2014, 05:29
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby germanbullsfan » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 07:03

That implifes what i say for a long time, the moment a german team enters one of the main competitions , it will make a huge impact in public awareness and TV coverage .
for that its so important that at least the sevens Team is making the cut to the WS within the next 2 years.

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 07:34

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
That is interesting though. It does suggest that a European Championship could generate a lot of interest from German speaking Europe.


To be brutally honest about this, the 6N, from a continental point of view, is a strange championship between some British provinces, France and Italy.

Why should it appeal to anyone, when 2,5 of the countries playing in it are only seen as a British obscurity? For a Spanish or a German it is tough to understand why Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland in soccer should be more worthy to play internationals than Catalonia or Bavaria (which have their own parliaments for centuries or were completely self governed until 1918 and also have double to triple to quadruple the inhabitants than some of the 6 nations have). Don't get me wrong, Scotland and Wales (and NI in soccer) and their people are well respected, but when it comes to them being a big part of an "international" competition that kind of claims to be an European championship, that's not good enough. Especially when people do realize it is also a closed shop and on merit.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: German rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 09:24

I also don't fully understand why Northern Ireland has an international soccer team. But it seems that FIFA likes adding territories that are not countries such Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. They would probably accept Bavaria and Catalonia soccer teams if there was no objection from Germany and Spain. However, I think one thing those countries would need is a separate league,

In terms of which British nation gets a sports team, I think it is down to a combination of history and practicality.
For sports without much history, and which we are not good at, but are popular internationally, we generally go for a Great Britain team, e.g. basketball, ice hockey.
For more traditional British sports that are played throughout the commonwealth there is usually a team for each of the four constituent countries, e.g. netball, field hockey.
Cricket is a very English sport. For cricket Wales is part of England, which it actually is legally. England is actually short for England and Wales. Scotland and Ireland also have cricket teams. Objectively, this is the most logical way of having Britain and Ireland represented in international sports. 3 teams; Ireland, Scotland and England (England and Wales). But Wales likes to have its own rugby team.

Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: German rugby

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 10:07

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I also don't fully understand why Northern Ireland has an international soccer team. But it seems that FIFA likes adding territories that are not countries such Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. They would probably accept Bavaria and Catalonia soccer teams if there was no objection from Germany and Spain. However, I think one thing those countries would need is a separate league,

In terms of which British nation gets a sports team, I think it is down to a combination of history and practicality.
For sports without much history, and which we are not good at, but are popular internationally, we generally go for a Great Britain team, e.g. basketball, ice hockey.
For more traditional British sports that are played throughout the commonwealth there is usually a team for each of the four constituent countries, e.g. netball, field hockey.
Cricket is a very English sport. For cricket Wales is part of England, which it actually is legally. England is actually short for England and Wales. Scotland and Ireland also have cricket teams. Objectively, this is the most logical way of having Britain and Ireland represented in international sports. 3 teams; Ireland, Scotland and England (England and Wales). But Wales likes to have its own rugby team.


I am well aware of all the history involved and not judging it, nor want to change it. Just stating what the stubborness of Home nation rugby unions of only playing those nations has left us now with and how it is seen from outside the bubble: the 6N are not really marketable towards non involved European countries.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 5849
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: German rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 10:10

RugbyLiebe wrote:Germany is rugby's 7th biggest market ahead of Italy and Ireland.

"With Rugby World Cup a proven inspirer of new fans, 52 percent of people who followed the tournament in emerging markets did so for the first time.

Japan was not the only market that experienced impressive growth during RWC 2019. Driven by a move to free-to-air broadcast, Germany became the seventh highest viewing territory globally with 10.82 million cumulative viewers tuning in.

That put Germany ahead of Italy and Ireland in terms of cumulative viewers and contributed to a rise in the cumulative audience of more than 55 per cent across German-speaking European countries."


https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springb ... s-20200311


Edit: that's a plus of 69% from 2015 according to this piece from the RWC 2015

In Germany, where free-to-air live coverage was broadcast for the first time by Eurosport, the cumulative tournament audience was 6.4 million, with the number of coverage hours rising from 18 to 86. Furthermore, the German audience for the Rugby World Cup final has grown by 74 per cent since 2007, the last time the tournament was played in Europe.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/161402


All the more reason work needs to be done to get Germany to a place where RWC qualification is possible. This is why WR need a bigger hand in helping develop the REC and RET tournaments. They are investing in South America, they need to help development in continental Europe.

Posts: 2328
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: German rugby

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 12 Mar 2020, 17:22

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I also don't fully understand why Northern Ireland has an international soccer team. But it seems that FIFA likes adding territories that are not countries such Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. They would probably accept Bavaria and Catalonia soccer teams if there was no objection from Germany and Spain. However, I think one thing those countries would need is a separate league,

In terms of which British nation gets a sports team, I think it is down to a combination of history and practicality.
For sports without much history, and which we are not good at, but are popular internationally, we generally go for a Great Britain team, e.g. basketball, ice hockey.
For more traditional British sports that are played throughout the commonwealth there is usually a team for each of the four constituent countries, e.g. netball, field hockey.
Cricket is a very English sport. For cricket Wales is part of England, which it actually is legally. England is actually short for England and Wales. Scotland and Ireland also have cricket teams. Objectively, this is the most logical way of having Britain and Ireland represented in international sports. 3 teams; Ireland, Scotland and England (England and Wales). But Wales likes to have its own rugby team.



After the civil war in the 20s (and more accurately after an accusation of bias) there were two rival governing bodies in Belfast and Dublin. I believe both tried to be for the whole of Ireland but a compromise was reached and the original IFA became the governing body only in Northern Ireland with the new FAI controlling the game in the rest of Ireland.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests