Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby video game

National Flag:
WalesWales

Rugby video game

Postby welshdragon2000 » Fri, 19 Feb 2021, 17:28

I just read an interesting post on Twitter about how a youngster from Zimbabwe who recently signed for Clermont Espoirs, said that he got into rugby through Rugby 08. Im sure there’s plenty more people who had this experience, and it would be amazing to have a truly good rugby video game out there. I would certainly buy it whatever the cost if it was actually a good game.
We be seen plenty of people who probably wouldn’t be that into soccer if it wasn’t for the fifa games, but they know all the players and follow them in real life because of their interest in the video game. I think a rugby game would have a similar effect, perhaps on a smaller scale to start with, but it’d be really good for the game to have EA make another rugby game. A rugby game like the fifa games would be a huge step forward.

Here's the link for the Zimbabwe podcast talking about this: https://fb.watch/3LIeikcHB9/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Rugby video game

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 03:22

Part of the reason I got into rugby was because of Jonah Lomu 1995. I was looking for a decent rugby league game at the time but the ones I found were terrible. Jonah Lomu Rugby was not only a fun game to play, it made me realise Rugby was a far bigger game than I realised. I think there was around 35 nations that you could play in the match. Coming from a rugby league background it really made me open my eyes to how much larger and world wide rugby was in comparison. And listening to this story about him getting started with Rugby '08 is exactly why we need something today. The biggest obstacle in most modern rugby games is that they've never been able to get the ruck system correct. If you play as the stronger team you will always win a turnover which isn't what happens in real life. Even Namibia can win turnover ball against the All Blacks in real life. So, the biggest thing that needs to be solved in my opinion is figuring out a rucking system that is closer to what happens in real life and not something that is automatically programmed based on how high the team is ranked.

The other thing is simply licences. Any modern rugby game has to have licences for all professional clubs and league and the top 30-40 national teams. This includes Super Rugby, Pro 14, English Premiership, Top 14, Pro D2, MLR, SLAR, Japan Top League, Romanian Superliga, Russian League, and maybe some of the semi-pro leagues like the Spanish League, along with the licence for the World Cup, the 6 Nations, REC, Rugby Championship, etc. That is the minimum requirement in my opinion.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 21 Feb 2021, 22:26

Rugby needs a decent video game and it must have been done yesterday. It will help a lot, but probably won't promote a revolution. People have too many video game options and if rugby is a minor sport in most countries it will take time to have a real impact, specialy because rugby lacks a flagship event that is everywhere in the media/scoail media outside T1 countries. But, anyway, rugby is already too late. A video game should be a high priority for World Rugby.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Pockets » Mon, 22 Feb 2021, 15:49

The development budgets involved with a AAA game make it a non-starter for the likes of EA. FIFA's budget is bigger than the entirety of Super Rugby.

Which is why it's mainly been smaller studios doing budget titles for the last 10-15 years
Last edited by Pockets on Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 22 Feb 2021, 17:28

So, why EA used to have Rugby games? It was cheaper in the by the 2000s?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Pockets » Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 00:06

Yeah, the more detail, the higher the cost. Plus licencing costs, etc.
To put numbers on it, a typical PS2 era sports game cost ~$15m (numbers from an interview about 2K's NFL2K3), estimates of PS4 era FIFA was around $350m (though given that's significantly higher than other AAA games that have longer development cycles - the likes of GTA, Red Dead Redemption and Cyberpunk are all around the $250m mark - I guess a lot of that goes on licencing and marketing).

Realistically, there's a middle ground - the tools that are available to small teams are better than ever, so small teams can create incredibly impressive games again, but sports games are particularly difficult because it's all about the realism. The cost of things like motion capture etc. are high and the amount of fine-tuning of systems, animations, physics, ai, etc. requires an amount of developer time that smaller companies can't afford. I'm sure a company could get close enough to make people happy, but they'd probably burn through many millions to do so and struggle to make money.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 24 Feb 2021, 11:25

Rugby's biggest drawback for video games has always been the population of fans. Japan emerging to become T1 status really should be the turning point for that, because it means there's no a sizeable enough audience to invest the resources into a proper rugby game now.

Return to Rugby Forum