Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

USA Rugby

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: USA Rugby

Postby ihateblazers » Thu, 26 Dec 2019, 13:20

Tobar wrote: Well FloRugby paid them like $5 million over 7 years which isn’t a ton but they are desperate for cash. I don’t think MLR has any paid TV deal yet. But yes, I think it will be in the best interest if both can be bundled together (though I can guarantee that USAR will try and show horn itself into trying to get more than they should, messing up discussions).

The way I see it, USAR would clearly benefit from being on a different network than Flo. I don’t mind a paywall but make it something like ESPN+ or premium cable like CBS Sports or Fox Sports. They need to be easily accessible by fans otherwise no one will end up watching their games. And they need to get on this before MLR completely takes over as “the” rugby to watch. Internationals should be the pinnacle of the sport but they are treated like second rate because no one can watch them and they care more about their local club.

MLR would benefit because internationals are great for the sport and really set it aside from many other sports. The timing is also great because the entire offseason is now our test match calendar so there is something to keep the fans engaged and allows rugby to be available almost all the time.

As for the GUs, I think it would be in the MLR clubs best interests to hire a full time community manager whose job is to also assist the GU with administration. This person can attend matches every weekend, build a relationship with the clubs and then use that to help their own MLR club as well as provide feedback to the GU. Plus, having someone who actually works full time for the GU would be a huge win.

I read that MLR will have ESPN and Fox on board next year, the only major network not involved would then be NBC. Hopefully they will eventually turn into pay deals and USAR can then get out of that deal with Flo, and they can both come to the table with a bundled package.

In the mean time USAR needs to ensure 6 games over the July and November windows and the ARC needs to become a commercially attractive product. USA and Canada must play 2 games in late September- early October before the November tests as part of a 3 game series like the Bledisloe cup or maybe play games against SANZAAR nation's. In summary USAR needs to monetize the international game and add consistency to the annual calendar so they have something to sell and can finally get some partners on board.

From what I understand the GU's primarily function is to govern senior club rugby. That is an integral part of the game in but as many clubs as possible need to start youth programmes and MLR must encourage this. Then for development pathways; create as much synergy as possible between high school, college, mlr academies, clubs and MLR.

The governance and subsequent financial issues at USAR seems to be a vicious cycle. They need to completely overhaul congress and the board.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 26 Dec 2019, 14:13

USA and Canada play a series against each other each year - the CanAm Cup. But a lot of people don’t even realize this is a thing.

Usually there is a game in June/July and then the ARC match which is now going to be not long after. We could have a July and August series.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 04:22

Tobar wrote:USA and Canada play a series against each other each year - the CanAm Cup. But a lot of people don’t even realize this is a thing.

Usually there is a game in June/July and then the ARC match which is now going to be not long after. We could have a July and August series.

It's not always a series, in fact, there are several years where we have failed to play each other. The ARC thankfully has fixed that for now.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 19:47

It can, and should, return to being a series each year. Whoever hosts the ARC match will be the visitor in July. It allows the matchup to feel like a real Cup series worth fighting for.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 27 Dec 2019, 20:17

Tobar wrote:It can, and should, return to being a series each year. Whoever hosts the ARC match will be the visitor in July. It allows the matchup to feel like a real Cup series worth fighting for.

I agree with this. Also, with Japan potentially joining the Rugby Championship, Japan and Argentina will need to agree where to play. The half way point is California, approximately 12 hours from both Tokyo and BA. How about a double header? USA vs Canada, then Japan vs Argentina.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 28 Dec 2019, 00:59

Tobar wrote:It can, and should, return to being a series each year. Whoever hosts the ARC match will be the visitor in July. It allows the matchup to feel like a real Cup series worth fighting for.

Not saying it shouldn't be. It's been a tremendous failure by both Rugby Canada and USA Rugby to make this a huge rivalry that sells out wherever it goes.

Postby 4N » Sat, 28 Dec 2019, 01:03

Agreed

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 16:59

Well folks, USA Rugby has 10 weeks before it is kaput.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 20:22

USA rugby files for chapter 11 bankruptcy.

People blaming Covid 19 but I'm looking at post above from StroBro and he's spot on. 10 weeks since that comment.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 20:26

Lol like COVID has anything to do with this. If anything it helps them save money because they don’t have to run as many programs.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 20:41

So what happens now with USAR?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 20:48

TheStroBro wrote:Well folks, USA Rugby has 10 weeks before it is kaput.

How did you know??? A prophet! :P

Seriously, weren't' USA Rugby already supervised or managed by World rugby? shouldn't they share some of the blame?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 21:00

Will this affect the ARC?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 30 Mar 2020, 23:44

Tobar wrote:Lol like COVID has anything to do with this. If anything it helps them save money because they don’t have to run as many programs.

But it doesn't help, no sane sponsor is going to engage in current climate and some activities not happening mean less income.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 18:43

sk 88 wrote:USA rugby files for chapter 11 bankruptcy.

People blaming Covid 19 but I'm looking at post above from StroBro and he's spot on. 10 weeks since that comment.

COVID-19 has a lot to do with the timeline. There was a re-evaluation and USAR had money until May which would have gotten USAR to float time where new Grant payments from WR and USOPC were due. So rather then end of March it was end of May...and then end of March hit and things had changed again.

Tobar wrote:Lol like COVID has anything to do with this. If anything it helps them save money because they don’t have to run as many programs.

Not exactly true, depending on the contracts I'm sure all Sponsor payments have been suspended due to a Force Majeure Clause in their contracts. Then add to the Member Fees of the States that haven't begun to play like Montana and Alaska. Then your trickle of 7s memberships.

Thomas wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Well folks, USA Rugby has 10 weeks before it is kaput.

How did you know??? A prophet! :P

Seriously, weren't' USA Rugby already supervised or managed by World rugby? shouldn't they share some of the blame?

Pichot is on the board, giving WR some direct oversight, but it is not managed by WR. And in fact could not be under our laws, the USOPC is the only organization that could effect a full takeover.

victorsra wrote:Will this affect the ARC?

Under Chapter 11, not likely because WR will be pushing funding to support National Programs.

Under Chapter 7, which would liquidate and dissolve the organization? Significantly. The Eagles would not exist in any forms until a new NGB was certified by both the USOPC and WR.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 21:05

You should do a podcast, would be good to hear your views.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 21:44

How long this process can take? Because maybe during the 2020 ARC this will be still undefined...

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 01 Apr 2020, 13:24

Thomas wrote:You should do a podcast, would be good to hear your views.

Ask and you shall receive

https://twitter.com/earfulofdirt/status ... 34017?s=21

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 09 Apr 2020, 22:43

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Duke of Earl » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 05:29

This is purely down to my ignorance of American sports , so apologies for perhaps asking a dumb question.
The NFL started of as two separate organisations before merging , MLB was two separate organisations before merging , the same happened with the NBA. Why do Americans set up rival leagues , and why would they do this in a sport which is not financially wealthy ?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 97bc794100

Aside from my ignorance , Michael Clements has been around a bit trying to pitch this idea , here is an article from the Guardian in 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/ ... league-nfl

And again in 2015 in the FT , https://www.ft.com/content/cc4167de-263 ... cb60e8f08c

Will be keen to see how this develops

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 09:14

victorsra wrote:And what about his? https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenh ... 16e4474100 NRFL is real?

No, it isn’t real. He’s been talking about it for at least 5 years and in all that time has managed 1 combine. He almost got an exhibition match played but it was cancelled for various reasons. It will never happen, the amount of money he’s talking about is ridiculous. See this thread for how the American rugby community views him:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLRugby/commen ... ame=iossmf

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Duke of Earl » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 09:19

He does seem a bit of a charlatan and the figures he is talking about seem fanciful to say the least.
Would think that the model MLR is currently doing with steady growth is the best approach for the sport in the country. Hopefully the Raptors players will be picked up elsewhere in the organisation and with the proposed draft seems the MLR is moving the right direction

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 13:19

And World Rugby wont sanction his league ... so it wont be not allowed to operate ....

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 13:34

Good luck to him I say. Rugby needs innovation and needs to be better at tolerance and keeping people inside the tent. If he wants to burn a pile of cash then let him. Either he succeeds and we have a new top league (a good thing), or he fails and nothing has changed (no bad thing). What NFL and its competitors have shown is that competition improves the game.

I do think he is right in part that people aren't idiots and aren't going to buy inferior product (i.e. not top leagues) in serious numbers. Making that jump takes a lot of money and belief. While building foundations first is totally right at some point you need to make that jump to make it big.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 10 Apr 2020, 15:19

sk 88 wrote:Good luck to him I say. Rugby needs innovation and needs to be better at tolerance and keeping people inside the tent. If he wants to burn a pile of cash then let him. Either he succeeds and we have a new top league (a good thing), or he fails and nothing has changed (no bad thing). What NFL and its competitors have shown is that competition improves the game.

I do think he is right in part that people aren't idiots and aren't going to buy inferior product (i.e. not top leagues) in serious numbers. Making that jump takes a lot of money and belief. While building foundations first is totally right at some point you need to make that jump to make it big.

Japan will soon have a major league in my opinion. MLAR and SLAR need to become major leagues over the next few years. I think GRR will also eventually become a major league, or some teams will join an Australia - New Zealand league, whilst others will remain in an Asia-Pacific development league. South Africa could have its own major league if it wants to but prefers to play in international leagues.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum