Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Wed, 01 Jul 2020, 14:38

Not starting a political discussion, but the new Hong Kong Security Law may have serious effects on the level of the Hong Kong national rugby team (and the GRR's South China Tigers). Most of its players are Westerners (many with British citizenship I guess) that might leave: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-53246899
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 01 Jul 2020, 15:42

victorsra wrote:Not starting a political discussion, but the new Hong Kong Security Law may have serious effects on the level of the Hong Kong national rugby team (and the GRR's South China Tigers). Most of its players are Westerners (many with British citizenship I guess) that might leave: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-53246899


I expect UK to be receiving a lot of migrants from Hong Kong which is fine by me. There is an empty unit in my estate which is perfect for a Chinese takeaway.

User avatar
Posts: 3214
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby 4N » Wed, 01 Jul 2020, 16:20

victorsra wrote:Not starting a political discussion, but the new Hong Kong Security Law may have serious effects on the level of the Hong Kong national rugby team (and the GRR's South China Tigers). Most of its players are Westerners (many with British citizenship I guess) that might leave: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-53246899


It will be interesting to see what happens. The UK and US are both going to offer HKers safe haven. Australia and Canada will probably do something similar.

Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Wed, 01 Jul 2020, 17:40

If there is an exodus of the rugby community HK goes back to Korean rugby level at least.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Wed, 08 Jul 2020, 07:52

"Cambodia, Iraq and Palestine join the Asia Rugby Family and Afghanistan becomes a full member of Asia Rugby"

https://twitter.com/asiarugby/status/12 ... 7251422209

Image
green=WR full membership
orange=continental full membership
yellow=continental associated membership

Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Wed, 08 Jul 2020, 13:37

We were expecting Vietnam.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 374
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Hinato » Wed, 08 Jul 2020, 15:09

Next year the Asian qualifications will already be decisive. A little idea of what could give the best South Korean XV. 5 pro players (4 in Japan and 1 in the United States). It would be a hell of a team.

1-Na Kwan Young (SK, 18 caps) - Kubota Spears (Japan) - 14/07/1992 - 176 cm - 122 kg
2-Kim Jeep (SK, 18 caps) - KEPCO - 28/06/1990 - 178 cm - 106 kg
3-Kang Tae Hyeon (SK, 13 caps) - KEPCO - 13/12/1992 - 184 cm - 135 kg
4-Kim Ho Bum (SK, 9 caps) - Kubota Spears (Japan) - 10/12/1990 - 197 cm - 110 kg
5-Shin Da Hyun (SK, 8 caps) - KEPCO - 27/03/1997 - 193 cm - 112 kg
6-Cha Sung Kun (SK, 7 caps) - POSCO - 28/02/1990 - 183 cm - 100 kg
7-Jang Seok Hwan (SK, 8 caps) - Kobelco Steelers - (Japan) - 27/11/1991 - 193 cm - 118 kg
8-Kim Dae Hwan (SK) - KEPCO - 19/12/1995 - 185 cm - 110 kg
9-Mun Jin Ho (SK) - Dallas Jackals (USA) - 13/11/1995 - 176 cm - 80 kg
10-Oh Ji Myeong (SK, 7 caps) - POSCO - 09/11/1992 - 183 cm - 91 kg
11-Jang Jeong Min (SK, 9 caps) - POSCO - 10/11/1994 - 175 cm - 83 kg
12-Jang Seong Min (SK, 21 caps) - POSCO - 22/08/1992 - 187 cm - 113 kg
13-Kim Jin Hyeok (SK 8 caps) - KEPCO - 07/08/1995 - 183 cm - 100 kg
14-Chang Yong Heung (SK, 8 caps) - NTT Shining Arcs (Japan) - 12/11/1993 - 175 cm - 80 kg
15-Lee Jae Bok (SK, 17 caps) - POSCO - 22/05/1991 - 177 cm - 89 kg

Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Wed, 08 Jul 2020, 20:34

Hinato wrote:Next year the Asian qualifications will already be decisive. A little idea of what could give the best South Korean XV. 5 pro players (4 in Japan and 1 in the United States). It would be a hell of a team.

1-Na Kwan Young (SK, 18 caps) - Kubota Spears (Japan) - 14/07/1992 - 176 cm - 122 kg
2-Kim Jeep (SK, 18 caps) - KEPCO - 28/06/1990 - 178 cm - 106 kg
3-Kang Tae Hyeon (SK, 13 caps) - KEPCO - 13/12/1992 - 184 cm - 135 kg
4-Kim Ho Bum (SK, 9 caps) - Kubota Spears (Japan) - 10/12/1990 - 197 cm - 110 kg
5-Shin Da Hyun (SK, 8 caps) - KEPCO - 27/03/1997 - 193 cm - 112 kg
6-Cha Sung Kun (SK, 7 caps) - POSCO - 28/02/1990 - 183 cm - 100 kg
7-Jang Seok Hwan (SK, 8 caps) - Kobelco Steelers - (Japan) - 27/11/1991 - 193 cm - 118 kg
8-Kim Dae Hwan (SK) - KEPCO - 19/12/1995 - 185 cm - 110 kg
9-Mun Jin Ho (SK) - Dallas Jackals (USA) - 13/11/1995 - 176 cm - 80 kg
10-Oh Ji Myeong (SK, 7 caps) - POSCO - 09/11/1992 - 183 cm - 91 kg
11-Jang Jeong Min (SK, 9 caps) - POSCO - 10/11/1994 - 175 cm - 83 kg
12-Jang Seong Min (SK, 21 caps) - POSCO - 22/08/1992 - 187 cm - 113 kg
13-Kim Jin Hyeok (SK 8 caps) - KEPCO - 07/08/1995 - 183 cm - 100 kg
14-Chang Yong Heung (SK, 8 caps) - NTT Shining Arcs (Japan) - 12/11/1993 - 175 cm - 80 kg
15-Lee Jae Bok (SK, 17 caps) - POSCO - 22/05/1991 - 177 cm - 89 kg


No Hyundai players?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 374
Joined: Sat, 26 Apr 2014, 07:43
National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Hinato » Wed, 08 Jul 2020, 21:16

The wing Jeong Yeon Sik may be.

User avatar
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Sat, 11 Jul 2020, 05:04

Two Iraq national team players, Haidar Khalil and Ghazem, felt ill due to coronavirus. Other two rugby players, brothers Naem and Karim Saddam (the second one is an international players), got infected but they are healed now.
Few weeks ago the most famous Iraq football player, around 55 years old, died due to the virus

User avatar
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Thu, 16 Jul 2020, 06:49

Sri Lanka, I've read few weeks ago, is planning to switch the focus from XV to 7s (and this appears to me not a wise move, considering that XV has locally a good success). This article explains the current problems of Lankan 7s and which changes a major focus on 7s could imply and need

https://www.thepapare.com/dream-nightma ... ka-sevens/

User avatar
Posts: 5923
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Canalina » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 10:42

Iraq federation: the national team player Othman Abdel Salam is officially transferred to the Romanian team CSU Arad.

Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 20:02

Canalina wrote:Sri Lanka, I've read few weeks ago, is planning to switch the focus from XV to 7s (and this appears to me not a wise move, considering that XV has locally a good success). This article explains the current problems of Lankan 7s and which changes a major focus on 7s could imply and need

https://www.thepapare.com/dream-nightma ... ka-sevens/

Maybe it is wise. Let's think in Sri Lanka's POV:

- In 15s they won't reach the RWC anytime soon. And WR doesn't help Asia in the RWC Qualy;
- Japan will always be the dominant Asian power, while in 7s there's room for others. With a new professional league in Japan played in the first semestre, the players available to Japanese sevens team won't be that good;
- Sri Lanka might not reach the Olympics, but they can make a better figure in the Commonweath Games and win medals in the Asian Games in sevens. The country is not sucessful in any sport in the Asian Games. They won ZERO medals in the 2018 Asian Games. ZERO, not a single bronze. Rugby has a big chance to be Sri Lanka's main Asian Games/Commonwealth Games sport, consolidating it as the country's 2nd sport, after cricket;

I think Sri Lanka is right in focusing on sevens. Madagascar should do the same in Africa. Kenya is the best benchmark.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1726
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Tobar » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 20:10

Interesting because both Madagascar and Sri Lanka are big fans of rugby but have never really performed well at all. Perhaps this will lead to some success.

Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby victorsra » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 20:15

Tobar wrote:Interesting because both Madagascar and Sri Lanka are big fans of rugby but have never really performed well at all. Perhaps this will lead to some success.

Yep, it depends on the country. Countries that do well in many sports and are close to 15s bigger stages don't have much choice. They must focus on 15s because it is what fans and sponsors want or demand. But countries that are realy far from 15s success can make such option. It is a way to draw attention and prestige.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sun, 19 Jul 2020, 20:53

I think it's a smart move. Sri Lanka and Madagascar are both disadvantaged in fifteens by there being very few people in their country who are big enough to be a top level forward. This isn't an issue in sevens. Also an international sevens team is a lot cheaper to fund than a fifteens team.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], vino_93 and 8 guests