Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Hinato » Mon, 14 Dec 2020, 06:20

Qatar was not yet a member of World Rugby in 2019. It is this criterion that is taken into account to be promoted. China will be one to watch closely with its column of foreign players. They are aiming for the 2027 Rugby World Cup.

https://www.asierugby.com/post/objectif ... by-de-2027

Thailand, which wants to launch its professional rugby league in the coming years, will also be one to watch.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Mon, 14 Dec 2020, 06:41

ARMD3(Winners Of 2019 ARC D3 Competitions)

With China and Pakistan being promoted, I guessing the group will be Kazakhstan, Guam and Qatar?????????????

Another highlight of the year will be the Asia Rugby Men’s Championship (ARMC) which is a qualification pathway tournament for the Rugby World Cup 2023 in France, with Japan already securing a spot after reaching the Quarterfinals in the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
The winner of the 2021 ARMC will play Oceania 2 in a one-off game which will be hosted by the team with the highest ranking, with the winner securing a direct spot in the RWC 2023, and the loser going to the final qualification tournament.

Extremely disappointing. Everyone eliminated except for South Korea, Hong Kong and Malaysia

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 14 Dec 2020, 13:24

Oh, I haven't seen that. Well, maybe Qatar, Guam, Kazakhstan indeed.

Sad that India, the country where rugby is BOOMING :roll: won't play in 2021.

Well, sarcasm apart, it is not fair to let the other countries out. It is crucial to have countries like India, Indonesia, etc active.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 18 Dec 2020, 04:54

An other resume of the Asian 2021 competitions

https://www.rugbyasia247.com/your-guide ... petitions/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 18 Dec 2020, 16:22

But is realy looks like SEA Games 2021 won't have rugby https://hanoi2021.com/SPORTS Asia Rugby couldn't make Vietnamese rugby become organized enough for this...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Jan 2021, 22:27

UAE, Lebanon, Iraq, Palestine and Syria will play the Arab 7s in February in Alexandria (Egypt): https://www.asierugby.com/post/les-eau- ... rugby-2021

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Wed, 06 Jan 2021, 02:05

Women will have their own championship!!!!That is an excellent new for an arab tournament.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 19 Jan 2021, 17:02

"In light of the pressing financial and logistical implications arising from the Covid-19 pandemic, the Hong Kong Rugby Union (HKRU) will transition its full-time men’s fifteen-a-side representative programme to a traditional semi-professional model and will close the Elite Rugby Programme (ERP) after the expiry of current player and staff contracts on 30 June 2021. "

https://www.hkrugby.com/news/hong-kong- ... me-in-june

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Wed, 20 Jan 2021, 10:32

Given the unprecedented and protracted impact of the pandemic on the rugby calendar, (including successive postponements of the Cathay Pacific/HSBC Hong Kong Sevens and uncertainties around the commercial impact of the move to Kai Tak Stadium, the end of Global Rapid Rugby, a 10-month delay in the qualification process for Rugby World Cup 2023 and the delayed inception of the Asia Pacific Rugby Championship until at least 2023) - and the expiration of the local Employment Support Scheme, the costs of the programme, which employs 30 athletes on a full-time basis, are no longer sustainable for the HKRU.

Whats Asia Pacific Rugby Championship????

Is Asia Rugby cancelling the Asia Rugby Championship this year???

Also the article confirms Global Rapid Rugby is dead.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 20 Jan 2021, 14:18

Oh, it looks like World Rugby was planning a Asia-Pacific Championship, I believe in the Americas Rugby Championship (RIP) fashion (a Oceania Rugby-Asia Rugby joint thing?). I guess something with Hong Kong, Korea, Samoa, Tonga, etc? HK suggests it is supposed to kick off in 2023.

The Asia Rugby Championship is alive, it is part of the 2023 RWC Qualy. It is schedule to kick off in May 2021 https://www.asiarugby.com/asia-rugby-calendar-2021/

Also the article confirms Global Rapid Rugby is dead.

Yep, finaly an official statement.

Postby Raven » Thu, 21 Jan 2021, 11:12

Just came across these news (HK losing their pro structure, an "official" word for the cancellation of GRR) I'm both surprised and obviously extremely saddened to read this as I personally was backing a RWC expansion with a better pathway for a second Asian side. They seemed to be closing some gaps but with this scenario possibilities will be extremely limited.

*Frustration*. Sigh.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 24 Jan 2021, 01:19

The virus has screwed up everything for Asia professional. GRR never got the chance to truly get off the ground. I am hoping though that both Australia and New Zealand look closer to home and maybe help foster something to develop in the region, because there's clearly an appetite growing.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 24 Jan 2021, 20:19

Well, Malaysia Valke and China Lions were two fictions, I doubt they would produce anything sustainable.

Hong Kong is indeed the big loss. Maybe it is not just the pandemics, as HK rugby always had too much presence of Westerners. Like Korea, I think HK could try to enter a team in the Japanese rugby system. Maybe now the Japanese league will be a professional league, with a different logic, this can happen.

Anyway, in China's case, they could start their own league. And they will eventualy, I guess.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 25 Jan 2021, 02:44

victorsra wrote:Well, Malaysia Valke and China Lions were two fictions, I doubt they would produce anything sustainable.

Hong Kong is indeed the big loss. Maybe it is not just the pandemics, as HK rugby always had too much presence of Westerners. Like Korea, I think HK could try to enter a team in the Japanese rugby system. Maybe now the Japanese league will be a professional league, with a different logic, this can happen.

Anyway, in China's case, they could start their own league. And they will eventualy, I guess.

Probably their best option if the Japanese structures will have them. They'll need to find financing for things like travel and accommodation.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Sino-Spanish Prop » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 15:49

victorsra wrote:Well, Malaysia Valke and China Lions were two fictions, I doubt they would produce anything sustainable.

Totally agree on the China Lions take. After all it was practically a Bay of Plenty B side full of kiwis. They didn't even try to look for a connection with the local rugby community in Shanghai, even if it's full of expats, let alone with the Chinese small rugby community. They promised to include more Chinese players to their future roosters but...

The presence of Westerners in Hong Kong rugby responds to the demographics of the city themselves and the sector of the population with whom rugby is most popular. A good portion of Hong Kong citizens are of British origins, and some of the players that get drawn for their representative side in internationals were either born or formed as rugby players in the city. The South China Tigers was a good prospect to give their best players a path to professionalism outside of the amateurish nature of the Hong Kong domestic championship, which in turn would better their representative team, and they were also a better prospect for China as a whole than the China Lions. Truly a big loss.

As for a possible Chinese domestic, and competitive, competition... I just can't see it happen in the long run. The foundations are very weak and most of the rugby clubs in China outside universities are just social clubs run by expats. It will need serious work to, let's say, turn the already existent All China Cup into something competitive that would allow some growth in Chinese rugby and I just can't see it happen unless participation numbers grow dramatically in regions outside Shandong, Beijing or Shanghai for a league structure to be a viable project without relying too much on Westerners. Otherwise it would be more like a ghost league with no connection with the Chinese community. Also I don't see the CRFA in a position to get it done right now.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 17:26

In Southeast Asia, we know rugby has a following in Malaysia and Singapore (although Singapore realy disappointed recently with poor attendances in major events). If thery want to develop their players, they could start a regional competition with semi-pro franchises, for exemple. More local, more focused on local players, but with some foreigners. If they realy have fans, as some claim, that could work.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum