Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Asian 5 Nations & Asian rugby discussion

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 02:12

Edgar wrote:Agreed. League format would be better than these mini tournaments. They could be forgiven for dividing it between the Middle East and Far East, with South Asia most likely fitting in with the former. But I'd go with the magic six team divisions, and playoffs between the winners. I'd love to see China play Qatar right now. They would be a great game.

The key achieving anything close to that will be money.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 11:50

True, more trips, but also shorter distances - much shorter in most cases. Assuming Japan returns to join HK and Korea in the Top 3 next year, the 2nd division might then comprise Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Taiwan and Thailand. 3rd division East could be China, India, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Guam and Indonesia. 3rd division West would be UAE, Qatar, Jordan, Lebanon, Iran and Pakistan.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 13:49

I have been reading China's recent rugby results with interest. Those scores reflect a huge rise in the playing standards for whatever reasons. China's test rugby results reflect a steep decline in performance over the last decade. My understanding was that China was putting more effort into 7's because that was made an Olympic sport. That equated to more government funding. I don't follow 7's so I'd be interested to know whether China's 7's standings have risen over that time.

So suddenly they are winning by 50 points instead of losing by 50 points..and playing virtually the same teams. A couple of ex pats and a few Fijians might make a difference. But a 100 points difference?

China's Test Rugby results 2009-2019
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mF/pubhtml

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 14:21

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems China fielded separate military and civilian men's teams for a while, reaching a nadir with the 94-0 loss to India in 2010. Certainly they are putting more emphasis on the women's 7s program now rugby has returned to the Olympics in the abbreviated form. China currently lies 11th on the women's World Series circuit, equal on 21 points with Fiji. There's still a long way to go, and while direct qualification from the series (top 4) will likely elude them, they must be runaway favorite to win the regional berth when they host the Asian qualifier in November.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 14:59

Edgar wrote:China currently lies 11th on the women's World Series circuit, equal on 21 points with Fiji.

It's over and it got relegated.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 15:50

Relegated for finishing 11th out of 17? So they still get to host the regional qualifiers in November, I assume. & then there's a repechage beyond that.

Two teams I want to see in Tokyo are the Samoan men and Chinese women.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 15:54

I sense you don't know how Sevens work. There are 15 core teams among men and 11 core teams among women. It doesn't matter how many teams show up in general standings because some of them were just invited for some rounds. China and Fiji tied for the last spot among core teams and China got relegated based on goalaverage.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 16:01

Armchair Fan wrote:I sense you don't know how Sevens work. There are 15 core teams among men and 11 core teams among women. It doesn't matter how many teams show up in general standings because some of them were just invited for some rounds. China and Fiji tied for the last spot among core teams and China got relegated based on goalaverage.

No, I generally don't follow 7s. Thanks for the clarification.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 18:24

China has a fair shot to go to the games in Tokyo. They should be favorite for the Asian qualifier. I'm talking about women's rugby, because the male qualifier should be Hong Kong.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 18:35

rey200 wrote:China has a fair shot to go to the games in Tokyo. They should be favorite for the Asian qualifier. I'm talking about women's rugby, because the male qualifier should be Hong Kong.

Let's hope so. That will put the game firmly on the map in the world's most populous nation.

Samoa is the men's team I am hoping will get there this time. They were desperately unlucky to miss out on Rio. Tietjens seems to have them firing on all cylinders right now, but they will need to overcome Australia in the regional qualifiers if I'm not mistaken.

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby Hinato » Fri, 28 Jun 2019, 20:56

Hong Kong/Corée du sud: les compos http://www.asierugby.net/hong-kongcoree ... s-2019.php

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 08:24

The Asia Cup "final" between HK and SK started few minutes ago.
Hong Kong ahead 5-0 with a fullback try

https://www.facebook.com/asia.rugby/vid ... 031421462/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 09:32

Hong Kong leading 50-3 at the middle of second half.
A korean player red carded in the first half but my stream is very hiccuping and I haven't seen the reason of the red

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 10:31

64-3 FT I believe. Did you get the Inida - Indonesia score by any chance?

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 11:02

42-12 India win

Postby 4N » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 11:24

Korea fielded a very young/inexperienced side. Average of about 5 caps.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 11:39

dwpeate wrote:42-12 India win

Much obliged :thumbup:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 11:54

I haven't seen the reason of the red

Swinging arm in the tackle by one of the props. The HK player sort of fell into it, but it was at least partly intentional. Senseless really. I watched most of the game on Rugby Asia's Facebook page, which provided a better stream than World Rugby (as usual).

National Flag:
JapanJapan

Postby Hinato » Sat, 29 Jun 2019, 12:39

Hong Kong remporte l'Asia Rugby Championship 2019! http://www.asierugby.net/hong-kong-remp ... p-2019.php

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 30 Jun 2019, 20:31

They chose a minimal style for the Asia Cup trophy :)

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sun, 30 Jun 2019, 20:59

Filled with the appropriate beverage, I trust :P

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 04:13

Canalina wrote:Maybe also Asia Rugby should reform its continental Cup format? Probably, in my opinion, but the balance between enjoyability and economic affordability of the format is always hard to find

victorsra wrote:Asia's size is a very difficult challenge. But Asian teams play very few matches and most of them spend a whole year without a home match, which is bad, because home events are crucial for national unions to gather sponsor, do the political job, contact the media, etc. There should be a long term plan to make viable more regional competitions that make possible teams playing at least once a year at home.

Edgar wrote:Agreed. League format would be better than these mini tournaments. They could be forgiven for dividing it between the Middle East and Far East, with South Asia most likely fitting in with the former. But I'd go with the magic six team divisions, and playoffs between the winners. I'd love to see China play Qatar right now. They would be a great game.

It seems that all the continental cups are in crisis, if ever they were on the top of the wave. Asia Cup is almost appeal-less, Africa Cup was disbanded and now is reborn with a new format (not very convincing to me), South America Cup has been somehow phagocytized by Americas Championship and by Americas Trophy, while North America Cup and Oceania Cup are by now reserved to a "bunch of little islands". The only continental competition a bit solid seems the Europe Cup, even if it is two steps below Six Nations in the general public interest.
Of course I have not valid suggestions to relaunch these competitions, this is just an observation of the situation

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 07:12

phagocytized

New word for me :shock:

As far as I'm aware the tournament schedule released by Rugby Africa for the next two years is only a World Cup qualifying format and not a revived regional championship. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I've seen nothing with my own personal eyes to suggest it is designed as an alternative for the Gold Cup. If so, it would be a fairly uninspiring replacement.

Rugby Europe is running a great competition. The only problem I see there is that teams like Romania and Georgia are unable to go any further regardless how successful they are in the top division. That obviously inhibits their progress.

As far as South America and the ARC goes, I just wonder how it can all be financially sustainable. I expected the South American Championships to disappear with the advent of the Americas Championship, but if they can keep both going, all power to them.

Asian teams are not going to progress unless they are involved in a league rather than mini-tournaments. Six is not a big strain, especially if divided along regional lines for the lower divisions. That's two or three away games per season, and they'd get to host two or three in their own stadiums as well, of course.

Oceania is worth propping up from a World Rugby perspective because the region provides so many of the game's international stars. Many unions are benefiting from this, and union needs to be wary of the rival code's intentions in the region.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 01 Jul 2019, 14:10

Rumours have it South American Championship will end with SLAR.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 07:20

China v India was refereed by a 17 years old. Hat off to him!
https://www.morechaos.com/single-post/2 ... -grown-men

Highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RTdliNPAak

By the way, the fact that the official highlights of a match potentially involving 2.8 billions of supporters have been seen 51 times tells a lot about the long way that rugby have to go over there :geek:

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum