Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Russian Rugby

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Russian Rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 16:26

Vova12 wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:Maybe that's what they would do if they join the Premier League. Play their games between Krasnoyarsk and Vladivostok. Maybe only play Siberian teams in Vladivostok. It could work.

I think PL will be divided into West and East. Or will try to integrate Tigers into Asia, otherwise logistics for European teams in Russia will be terrible ...

If Korea gets a team in the new Japanese Pro League Vladivostok Tigers should be able to join that league too.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 16:30

It would be great!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 20:22

Vova12 wrote:
Raven wrote:https://twitter.com/russiarugby/status/1288090521555144709

"The Supreme Council of the Rugby Union of Russia has created a Committee to prepare an application to host the 2027 @rugbyworldcup in Russia

The start of the bidding campaign officially begins in February 2021 and a decision will be made by @WorldRugby in May 2022"

How do you say 'Fantastic' in Russian?! this could potentially create the 24 participating team scenario we´ve been waiting for.

Word "Fantastic" sounds almost same as in English, because it is a borrowed word.
You just need to add one more letter "a". Fantastica. Фантастика.

Russia will not be given right to host WC, because it is turn of non European countries.

We just need to move to Asia.

Maybe you've just discussed this: a scenario with a Russian RWC involving a pool in Georgia is totally unlikely?
It could be an efficacious move, because Georgia will never host a RWC by its own and World Rugby would be glad to have the opportunity to award a piece of RWC also to that important rugby nation; moreover it would be a distensive political move and the World would appreciate this too

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 20:31

RWC in Russia in 2027, i.e. after 7 years? LOL

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 20:34

Russia is not realy running for 2027. It may be a first experience bidding, to be able to prove itself as a good market for the 2030s. The election is economic and political and Russia has nobody in the WR Council. It is yet to enter WR political world. So, zero chances. But it is important to bid now to generate awareness and try again in the future.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 20:40

Russia can easily host Rugby WC. Infrastructure will allow us to do this.
Only weak point is match attendance. But there is time to increase it.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 21:30

Vova12 wrote:Russia can easily host Rugby WC. Infrastructure will allow us to do this.

I don't mean sport infrastructure. I believe, political situation will be absolutely different.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 21:35

What are you talking about ? About an alien invasion?

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby AdamRugby » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 22:39

Hey all, I have a friend in NZ who has recently been offered a 2 year contract to go and play in Russia (club not yet decided, apparently). He doesn't have an agent or any legal representation at this stage (I'm aware that's a bit silly to not have), so I was wondering if you guys had any advice, anecdotes, warnings, or opinions related to something like this? We don't personally know anybody who has actually gone and played professionally in Russia, so we're a bit unsure of how "legitimate" the process actually is...

Supposedly, they are offering around 3000-4000 Euros per month for this contract. I know the Rugby Union of Russia has in recent years received more funding and are trying to grow the game, but is this really an amount they're prepared to pay to an early-20s player from NZ?

Is it normal for foreign players to arrive in Russia not knowing where they will be playing?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 22:46

2018 FIFA World Cup was hosted in European Russia. 2023 Rugby World Cup will be hosted in European France.

I would like Russia's 2027 RWC bid to be for all of Russia as far as Krasnoyarsk. I think one pool should be in Krasnoyarsk with the others in European Russia. This would be the first intercontinental Rugby World Cup.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 23:05

Vova12 wrote:Russia can easily host Rugby WC. Infrastructure will allow us to do this.

"only" attendance, little problem :lol:

And nobody in the WR Council. Detail.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby armchair_expert » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 23:45

AdamRugby wrote:Hey all, I have a friend in NZ who has recently been offered a 2 year contract to go and play in Russia (club not yet decided, apparently). He doesn't have an agent or any legal representation at this stage (I'm aware that's a bit silly to not have), so I was wondering if you guys had any advice, anecdotes, warnings, or opinions related to something like this? We don't personally know anybody who has actually gone and played professionally in Russia, so we're a bit unsure of how "legitimate" the process actually is...

Supposedly, they are offering around 3000-4000 Euros per month for this contract. I know the Rugby Union of Russia has in recent years received more funding and are trying to grow the game, but is this really an amount they're prepared to pay to an early-20s player from NZ?

Is it normal for foreign players to arrive in Russia not knowing where they will be playing?

most teams have already filled their maximum foreign players quota for this season, so the fact that they don't tell him which club it is might be an indication that they are trying to lure him to a 2nd division team. However, all 3 richer 2nd division team are expected to be promoted next season (which starts ~June 2021)

I don't think there is much scam to expect from it, RUR is trying to maintain a good reputation so foreigners are likely to be paid as promised

the standard of rugby is atrocious, so he will probably degrade as a player

and I don't have any insight knowledge, so the above points all come just from observations

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby AdamRugby » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 01:15

armchair_expert wrote:most teams have already filled their maximum foreign players quota for this season, so the fact that they don't tell him which club it is might be an indication that they are trying to lure him to a 2nd division team. However, all 3 richer 2nd division team are expected to be promoted next season (which starts ~June 2021)

I don't think there is much scam to expect from it, RUR is trying to maintain a good reputation so foreigners are likely to be paid as promised

the standard of rugby is atrocious, so he will probably degrade as a player

and I don't have any insight knowledge, so the above points all come just from observations

Thank you for your response.

That is interesting that you mention most teams having already filled their foreign players quota. I know he was told that there is a decent chance he will get to be based in the same city/area as his friend who may go over with him, so perhaps you are right in suggesting they might be looking to push him towards a second division club because I imagine there aren't any first division clubs floating around with two spots free to dedicate to two young guys from New Zealand. Is there an official place that accurately lists the squads for each team?

I agree with you that it will likely be a big downgrade for him. He plays club rugby in NZ, but he's flirted with national representative teams in the past and would likely be very used to their environments. Possibly something to consider for his development there.

As an additional piece of information for people: one of the agreements he was sent to look over and sign has some allusions towards naturalization and representing Russia. I am wondering if this is a new tactic they are following in Russia? I struggle to think of any foreigners who have represented Russia in recent years (other than the occasional person born in ex-Soviet states).

Postby armchair_expert » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 02:00

AdamRugby wrote:That is interesting that you mention most teams having already filled their foreign players quota. I know he was told that there is a decent chance he will get to be based in the same city/area as his friend who may go over with him, so perhaps you are right in suggesting they might be looking to push him towards a second division club because I imagine there aren't any first division clubs floating around with two spots free to dedicate to two young guys from New Zealand. Is there an official place that accurately lists the squads for each team?

I think CSKA and VVA-Podmoskovye might have a few foreign player spots available; other teams with free spots aren't that rich. Squad lists on club websites might be inaccurate.
AdamRugby wrote:As an additional piece of information for people: one of the agreements he was sent to look over and sign has some allusions towards naturalization and representing Russia. I am wondering if this is a new tactic they are following in Russia? I struggle to think of any foreigners who have represented Russia in recent years (other than the occasional person born in ex-Soviet states).
there are talks about a centralized naturalization program, discussed on this very thread a few pages ago

personally I think if these 2 guys spend 5 years (which is required for a naturalization) in a team like CSKA they'll end up being not much better than some native Russian academy graduate

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 06:27

Probably they will be offered a 5 year contract with subsekuent naturalization.

Club can be, for example Tigers, CSKA, Dynamo or St. Petersburg ...

In any case it will be a PL club.

In Russia are trying to raise the level of rugby in their country, and not sell players in strong championships.

Level of PL has grown significantly, despite fact that number of teams has almost doubled.

Rugby schools are opening, foreign experts and players are invted, infrastructure is being built ...

This is a development program aimed at increasing level of rugby in Russia and not at growh of foreign leagues at expense of players from Russia. I think this is right way.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 09:25

Who told you that all PL clubs have a maximum quota of foreigners? It is not true. The limit was 8 foreigners per team (6+2). But yesterday they expanded it to 10 per team. But 2 out of 10 foreigners must be under 22 years old.
The number of foreign players in the PRO clubs at the moment:
Krasny Yar - 9
Slava - 8
Strela - 8
Lokomotiv - 8
Metallurg - 6
Bulawa - 6
CSKA - 6
Enisei-STM - 5
VVA - 5
Kuban - 1

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 09:41

BigG wrote:
I don't mean sport infrastructure. I believe, political situation will be absolutely different.

From the point of view of the political situation, Russia is the right choice, in contrast to the Anglo-Saxon world, where Perestroika is underway. And it is not known whether the United States will be in the same form in 5 years. And in Russia, on the contrary, after the referendum on the Constitution, there will be more sovereignty and stability.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby STMKY » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 09:57

AdamRugby wrote:Hey all, I have a friend in NZ who has recently been offered a 2 year contract to go and play in Russia (club not yet decided, apparently). He doesn't have an agent or any legal representation at this stage (I'm aware that's a bit silly to not have), so I was wondering if you guys had any advice, anecdotes, warnings, or opinions related to something like this? We don't personally know anybody who has actually gone and played professionally in Russia, so we're a bit unsure of how "legitimate" the process actually is...

If the offer is 3-4 thousand euros to a young player, then this is a 100% top division pro club, not 2D. I would generally advise not trusting our friend armchair_expert in this matter. He is Spanish. Not Russian, so he doesn't know the realities. You also need to understand that Spain and Russia are competitors for a place in the World Cup. Therefore, he does not want the Russian national team to become stronger in the future at the expense of New Zealand, South African and Australian players. This is clear logic.
I will tell you the figure for the rugby budget of Russia in 2020. This is more than $ 50 million. Russian Rugby Union $ 30 million + PRO clubs $ 20-30 million. I think that this is already enough to understand what prospects your friend has.
Unless your friend is the star of the NZ youth national team, but one of hundreds of simply good NZ players. That 100% in Russia he will have more prospects to play professionally for many years and get a real chance to play in the World Cup 2027 and 3031.
Are you talking 2 years? Let him try. He will always have time to return. Do you know that the first pro club Marty Banks was Krasny Yar? Yes, he played the 2011 season in Russia. There was not a lot of money in Russia then. He returned and became a star in Super Rugby.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 10:18

James Down who has just signed for Lokomotiv is a season professional. Never Wales national team standard, and probably never really first choice at the Blues either but has amassed about 150 too level appearances over the last ten years. He is 32 so whilst in he autumn of his career he's not past it. It could be a good opportunity for your friend. I suspect the idea is not just to naturalise players but to improve the overall standard of the league.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 10:32

I think armchair_expert is Georgian, not Spanish.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 10:48

STMKY wrote:I would generally advise not trusting our friend armchair_expert in this matter. He is Spanish. Not Russian, so he doesn't know the realities. You also need to understand that Spain and Russia are competitors for a place in the World Cup. Therefore, he does not want the Russian national team to become stronger in the future at the expense of New Zealand, South African and Australian players. This is clear logic.

Hi, this is Armchair Fan. I'm not armchair_expert. I know it's a downgrade, sorry to disappoint. You couldn't be any wronger about my intentions. And although I obviously will never know the realities of Russia as well as you, I've spent quite some time in your country and I hope to keep going потому что я учусь русский язык и хочу говорить с русскиe люди.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 11:11

Armchair Fan wrote:Hi, this is Armchair Fan. I'm not armchair_expert. I know it's a downgrade, sorry to disappoint. You couldn't be any wronger about my intentions. And although I obviously will never know the realities of Russia as well as you, I've spent quite some time in your country and I hope to keep going потому что я учусь русский язык и хочу говорить с русскиe люди.

You wrote almost correctly.
потому что я учу ̶с̶ь̶ русский язык и хочу говорить с русскиМИ ̶е̶ людЬМи.
But do not envy you if you are learning Russian.
I think this is a rather complicated language.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 13:07

30 July

Strela vs. Slava 16.00 МТ

Lokomotiv-Penza vs. Enisei-STM 18.00 МТ

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 13:17

31 July

Krasniy Yar vs. Bulava 12.00 MT

VVA-Podmoskovye vs. Metallurg 16.00 MT

CSKA vs Bogatyri 18.00 MT

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 13:28

Vova12 wrote:потому что я учу ̶с̶ь̶ русский язык и хочу говорить с русскиМИ ̶е̶ людЬМи.
But do not envy you if you are learning Russian.
I think this is a rather complicated language.

Is it true there is no letter 'J' in Russian?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum