Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 15 Dec 2019, 10:36

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 11 - Live Streaming
12:00 CET - Aldro Independiente v VRAC Quesos Entrepinares
https://api.gooru.live/v2.0/public/library/499021.html

12:00 CET - SilverStorm El Salvador v Bathco Rugby Club


12:00 CET - UE Santboiana v Ampo Ordizia


12:45 CET - UBU-Colina Clinic v Complutense Cisneros


13:30 CET - Hernani v Barça Rugbi (moved to San Sebastián as Landare Toki is flooded again)

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 16 Dec 2019, 13:14

División de Honor 2019-20 - Week 11 - Results and Standings
Lexus Alcobendas 33 - 13 Ciencias Cajasol Olavide
Aldro Independiente 35 - 35 VRAC Quesos Entrepinares :shock:
SilverStorm El Salvador 22 - 16 Bathco Rugby Club
UE Santboiana 30 - 33 Ampo Ordizia
Hernani 32 - 31 Barça Rugbi :shock: :shock: :shock:
UBU-Colina Clinic 33 - 29 Complutense Cisneros

Image

División de Honor reaches the halfway mark with Alcobendas leading, Top 4 closer than ever, an unusually high number of draws (5)...

--

As shared in the SLAR topic, Facundo Munilla is leaving Lexus Alcobendas to sign with Olimpia Lions.

--

Both Copa del Rey semifinals will take next Sunday in Valladolid, a doubleheader that will broadcast live by Spanish public TV channel Teledeporte:
Image

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 16 Dec 2019, 20:57

I forgot to post it this morning. Kiwi House, the company promoting Spain v All Blacks game, confirmed today they have sold 30,000 tickets already.

My estimations seeing daily sales in the past few days were that we were going to be between 49,000 and 60,000 spectators, but I still would be disappointed if this isn't a sellout.

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 14:48

FER is negotiating with Paracuellos del Jarama town hall, Madrid regional government and Madrid Rugby Union the possibility of building a training base in that city in the outskirts of Madrid:
https://www.paracuellosdejarama.es/tu-a ... a-de-rugby

I know it isn't the only project of this kind ongoing, there is at least another that hasn't been publicised yet.

Posts: 428
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 15:49

Didn't FER buy a stadium in Madrid a few years ago ?

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 16:00

Not that I know. They only have a contract with Universidad Complutense to be Central stadium tenants until the end of 2023. Maybe you remember some news about the possible use of recently reopened Vallehermoso athletics stadium? We haven't heard nothing since then.

But as I understand this wouldn't be for a main stadium, Paracuellos is too far from central Madrid, it would be for a little Marcoussis.

Posts: 428
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby vino_93 » Thu, 19 Dec 2019, 17:23

Yes that was it !

You really should find something better than central stadium to host games... Might be a nice place, but it definitely doesn't look professional.

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 20:17

More info on Paracuellos del Jarama high performance (?) center:
- Between 3 and 4 M€
- Two rugby pitches and a residence
- First pitch could be ready by the end of 2020 and other phases would follow
- Land currently owned by regional government, it would be given to the town hall who would share the cost with FER and private investors
- Not aimed at hosting international matches
https://as.com/masdeporte/2019/12/20/po ... 05375.html

Bonus track from that article, this quote by Alfonso Feijóo:
"If rugby keeps growing we could look for a bigger scenario and the proof is the game Spain will play against Classic All Blacks at Wanda Metropolitano, for which more than 33,000 tickets have already been sold".

Posts: 397
Joined: Tue, 14 Apr 2015, 19:19
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby tryman » Fri, 20 Dec 2019, 20:41

33,000 sold tickets sold this far in advance for a classic All Blacks game is seriously good going. Provided this match is commercially viable Spain will get a lot more high profile matches in the future.

Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 21 Dec 2019, 00:24

Armchair Fan wrote:More info on Paracuellos del Jarama high performance (?) center:
- Between 3 and 4 M€
- Two rugby pitches and a residence
- First pitch could be ready by the end of 2020 and other phases would follow
- Land currently owned by regional government, it would be given to the town hall who would share the cost with FER and private investors
- Not aimed at hosting international matches
https://as.com/masdeporte/2019/12/20/po ... 05375.html

Bonus track from that article, this quote by Alfonso Feijóo:
"If rugby keeps growing we could look for a bigger scenario and the proof is the game Spain will play against Classic All Blacks at Wanda Metropolitano, for which more than 33,000 tickets have already been sold".


Great to hear. First of all in terms of ticket sales. Really strong this far out. And secondly, on the dedicated facility. Hopefully both of these developments start to build momentum for the game in terms of developing facilities across the country. Essentially running what would be the domestic based Spanish team in a competition featuring the likes of the Jaguares XV and a Georgian XV alongside high quality SA competition would help the development side along.

On another note. I have a hypothetical for you. With the announcement of a Georgian squad in the Currie Cup 1st Div from next season. Do you think if Sth Africa were to offer an opportunity for a Spanish squad to do the same in the future would the FER and Spanish fans for that matter be interested? The CC runs outside the current DoH window from my recollection.

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 21 Dec 2019, 10:50

This is a big question I'm not sure Spanish rugby is ready to answer.

Given clubs have pseudo professional ambitions I fear they would welcome such a project with reluctance, even if there is no clash in dates. They are already increasingly pissed off by the raise in national team activities. For example I was told some players returned if not injured really charged from last mid-week training camp and clubs were furious. They don't see this as a mean to improve their players but as union exhausting their player base in exchange for nothing.

Furthermore costs of such a project are currently out of our reach. Spain has a smaller budget than Argentina or Georgia and too many fronts... Fans would be interested, but without private support bankrolling everything I fail to imagine this happening.

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 09:16

Remember both Copa del Rey semifinals are live today on Spanish FTA TV:
https://t.co/JMCmBZ81IH

Or use the following one if geoblocked:
https://verliga1.net/tv/deportes/teledeporte.php

11:00 CET - VRAC Quesos Entrepinares v Lexus Alcobendas
13:00 CET - SilverStorm El Salvador v Barça Rugbi

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 22 Dec 2019, 13:45

Copa del Rey 2020 - Semifinals
VRAC Quesos Entrepinares 11 - 15 Lexus Alcobendas
SilverStorm El Salvador 31 - 20 Barça Rugbi

So we've got defending champions Lexus Alcobendas again in the final against SilverStorm El Salvador in Zamora next April 26th.

VRAC will arrive to Copa Ibérica next weekend on a real low, with two defeats and a draw in their last four games...



Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 19:36

41.1% of players from División de Honor 2019-20 season (so far) are foreigners... A six points increase from last season.
https://rugbyspain.com/2020/01/nacional ... -de-honor/

Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun, 18 May 2014, 13:27
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Working Class Rugger » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 23:28

Armchair Fan wrote:41.1% of players from División de Honor 2019-20 season (so far) are foreigners... A six points increase from last season.
https://rugbyspain.com/2020/01/nacional ... -de-honor/


Foreign talent isn't necessarily a bad thing but there needs to be a balance. I'd say no more than 35% would be the ideal upper limit. The other question in those figures is how many would be eligible or willing to become eligible for the national team.

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 02 Jan 2020, 23:40

In theory at least 8 players on the field at any time from each team need to be eligible (although I know of some exceptions) and the amount is increased every year. But the reality is many are becoming elegible through residency and as a fan I'm becoming tired of this ever-lasting cycle of clubs bringing foreign talent to stay and using them under that cap and national team calling them.

Even Sevens national team which has been mostly Spanish-born (except for kids born in Argentina and grown here, which is totally normal) due to IOC stricter eligibility criteria is about to cap a few foreigners again.

For me post-2023 RWC things must change but I'm not sure how. As things are right now Spanish-born players are perceived by clubs as a burden, which makes them at the same time less interesting for the national team.

User avatar
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 07:58

Armchair Fan wrote:I forgot to post it this morning. Kiwi House, the company promoting Spain v All Blacks game, confirmed today they have sold 30,000 tickets already.

My estimations seeing daily sales in the past few days were that we were going to be between 49,000 and 60,000 spectators, but I still would be disappointed if this isn't a sellout.


I have the feeling that the 6 Nations will be taking a hard look at Spain soon. Matches between Spain, Italy and France in the 6 Nations could get decent viewership and appeal to sponsors. If they sell out the stadium in Madrid for the match against the Classic Allblacks that will go a long way, the sold champions cup match in Bilbao is also a plus.

Posts: 1124
Joined: Thu, 12 Dec 2019, 21:26
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 08:23

ihateblazers wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:I forgot to post it this morning. Kiwi House, the company promoting Spain v All Blacks game, confirmed today they have sold 30,000 tickets already.

My estimations seeing daily sales in the past few days were that we were going to be between 49,000 and 60,000 spectators, but I still would be disappointed if this isn't a sellout.


I have the feeling that the 6 Nations will be taking a hard look at Spain soon. Matches between Spain, Italy and France in the 6 Nations could get decent viewership and appeal to sponsors. If they sell out the stadium in Madrid for the match against the Classic Allblacks that will go a long way, the sold champions cup match in Bilbao is also a plus.


Maybe they could have a Spanish invitational team including Spanish speakers of other nationalities, as well as the best professional Spaniards, to play a test against one of the Six Nations teams. At the moment Spain vs France would be too one sided.

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 08:46

If you are going to do that just bring an Argentina Rugby Championship game in the same way they already moved one to Twickenham and maybe play Argentina XV as a doubleheader. I'm sure this is entirely possible if there is a presidential change at FER.

User avatar
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 10:59

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
ihateblazers wrote:I have the feeling that the 6 Nations will be taking a hard look at Spain soon. Matches between Spain, Italy and France in the 6 Nations could get decent viewership and appeal to sponsors. If they sell out the stadium in Madrid for the match against the Classic Allblacks that will go a long way, the sold champions cup match in Bilbao is also a plus.


Maybe they could have a Spanish invitational team including Spanish speakers of other nationalities, as well as the best professional Spaniards, to play a test against one of the Six Nations teams. At the moment Spain vs France would be too one sided.


I think the 6 nations do not care so much about competitiveness, all they care about is money. I could see lots of French and Argentine players who are Spanish qualified putting their hands up for selection.

User avatar
Posts: 671
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby ihateblazers » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 11:00

Armchair Fan wrote:If you are going to do that just bring an Argentina Rugby Championship game in the same way they already moved one to Twickenham and maybe play Argentina XV as a doubleheader. I'm sure this is entirely possible if there is a presidential change at FER.


That should be something they try to arrange in any case. I'm certain Argentina would sell out for a game versus the Allblacks, maybe Australia, South Africa might struggle to push.

Posts: 39
Joined: Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 10:39
National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Tiernster » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 11:37

Georgia are obviously the next best team in Europe but with a geographical location that is inconvenient as well as an economy that is even more inconvenient.

Spain are a few rungs below in quality but their Domestic League attracts crowds bigger then the Italians, their games are on television and there appears to be some growth year on year. Similarly with the international team their games do attract reasonable attendances (less then Georgia but that isn't Georgias precise issue)

If as expected they are the ones invited to the Challenge Cup in 2020 that will also act as a barometer as to how far forward things have moved. I would agree that they could be supplemented by residency and ancestral players to make things appear competitive.

As pointed out already the 6 nations care less about competition and more about money and Spain would appear to be the most logical breakthrough market they have available if that is your mindset.

Posts: 2334
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 19:18

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:41.1% of players from División de Honor 2019-20 season (so far) are foreigners... A six points increase from last season.
https://rugbyspain.com/2020/01/nacional ... -de-honor/


Foreign talent isn't necessarily a bad thing but there needs to be a balance. I'd say no more than 35% would be the ideal upper limit. The other question in those figures is how many would be eligible or willing to become eligible for the national team.


Based on?

Posts: 1726
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Tobar » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 22:04

Tiernster wrote:Georgia are obviously the next best team in Europe but with a geographical location that is inconvenient as well as an economy that is even more inconvenient.

Spain are a few rungs below in quality but their Domestic League attracts crowds bigger then the Italians, their games are on television and there appears to be some growth year on year. Similarly with the international team their games do attract reasonable attendances (less then Georgia but that isn't Georgias precise issue)

If as expected they are the ones invited to the Challenge Cup in 2020 that will also act as a barometer as to how far forward things have moved. I would agree that they could be supplemented by residency and ancestral players to make things appear competitive.

As pointed out already the 6 nations care less about competition and more about money and Spain would appear to be the most logical breakthrough market they have available if that is your mindset.


It really is all about the money here. Italy gets smacked around each year but everyone enjoys a nice holiday in Rome. If Spain can attract a crowd both at home and away then they can be an appealing choice - and if they were included then I’d take a guess that they have a higher ceiling than Italy would given its domestic club competition (which would surely grow with the added 6N cash).

It’s even more of a shame that Spain didn’t qualify for the RWC because we could’ve seen them play against the likes of Ireland and Scotland which would’ve given us some idea for how they’d fare in a 6N matchup.

Posts: 4405
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 03 Jan 2020, 22:35

Italian domestic league had attracted some of the best players in the world by the time Italy as invited to the 6N.

And I very much doubt we would have done any better than Russia at the RWC. Maybe in their horrible warm-up game in Italy, but not at the RWC.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], SallesNeto_BR and 25 guests