Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Georgia (Lelos)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Georgia (Lelos)

Postby Figaro » Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 20:42

victorsra wrote:Awesome news! But sadly only after Japan withdrew....

Japan will get loads of chances versus T1 from here on. Georgia needs this more than they do.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 21:31

Swap Fiji for Romania or Russia and run this event every 4 years, maybe year after RWC.
Call it the European Championships, leaving the 6N separate.
I know SANZAAR will complain, but the NH is where the money is.
A 4 yr cycle of RWC, Regional Champs, Lions and a Nations Cup, would have a nice flow to it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 10 Sep 2020, 22:11

Well, the fact Fiji is there and Russia isn't only shows how political power of those countries inside rugby is tiny (individual power... They have power in group only). That definitely shows how far Russian RWC is from being something.

And no T1 will replace matches against other T1s for an Euro tournament with T2s. And French/English clubs won't allow more national teams matches.

This Nations Cup won't lead to a new competition. Maybe it will only prove it is better a competition instead of simple tests and this can lead to the World League.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Rebus » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 06:45

Higgik wrote:Swap Fiji for Romania or Russia and run this event every 4 years, maybe year after RWC.
A 4 yr cycle of RWC, Regional Champs, Lions and a Nations Cup, would have a nice flow to it.

This is a pretty decent idea. I am not a fan of continuing the Lions tours , but if they are to remain and the 6 Nations effectively drive the global market , then this is a good option.
Easy to expand the Regional Championships as the quality of T2 / T3 evolves , but would it be an idea to swap the Nations Cup and Regional Champs and have the regional champs as a RWC qualifier ?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 08:34

It is quite likely that on 5th December Georgia will face Italy at Murrayfield. This will be the closest thing we have seen to a Six Nations relegation playoff.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 08:34

Higgik wrote:Swap Fiji for Romania or Russia and run this event every 4 years, maybe year after RWC.

Don't think there's much appetite for even more fixtures between the 6N sides.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 09:08

Figaro wrote:

Don't think there's much appetite for even more fixtures between the 6N sides.

I agree that there is no appetite for the Six Nations teams to play eachother more than once a season. But this Autumn Nations Cup will have the unintended consequence of creating a moral obligation to include Georgia in future European tier 1 championships. I don't know how that will pan out but by involving Georgia they have let the genie out of the bottle and when a genie is out he's not going back in.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby Rebus » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 11:28

I dont know why you cant amalgamate the fixtures in the Autumn International window and the 6N window into a larger regional competition.
As the European season is played September to May , a larger regional competition could be played across the two windows in the same season

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 13:39

Rebus wrote:I dont know why you cant amalgamate the fixtures in the Autumn International window and the 6N window into a larger regional competition.
As the European season is played September to May , a larger regional competition could be played across the two windows in the same season

That might be the solution. The Six Nations don't want to make it the Seven or Eight Nations and add more games in February/March, so maybe the Championship needs to start in the autumn and be played in 2 parts.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 14:28

The reason is quite simple. French/English clubs won't allow more than 11/12 rounds for their national teams. They pay salaries. This means any effort of playing T2s means NOT playing T1s. And that won't happen either, unless there is a very good reason for that.

Rugby international calendar is stuck in this logic. They don't want to lose matches between T1s, because that means money, and they can't expand fixtures, because the clubs calendar kills the possibilities.

Unless you have a disruptive concept on the table that makes possible to break one of these issues, nothing will realy change.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby Silver Fox » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 14:37

I also see chances with this format to encorporate continental Europe in a tournament with the 6 Nations.
I know the split in quality is a bit uneven but what about:

Pool 1: a traditional, good old-fashioned Home Nations Tournament (ENG, SCO, WAL, IRE)
Pool 2: Continental Europe (FRA, ITA + the ENC Top 2 (GEO, SPA?))
Play-offs like in the current Autumn 8 Nations.

Only 5 weekends (including 1 rest weekend), maintaining tradition and rivalries and at the same time expanding into new markets.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 15:35

So, the 2 home nations that don't reach the playoffs would have 2 useless unattractive matches? Scotland won't accept, no way. Plus no anual matches against France just to incorporate Georgia, Spain, Russia? They don't think in long terms, that's a non-starter, unfortunatly, because it would be cool.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 16:23

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
victorsra wrote:But to count as Grand Slam they must play Scotland in the final round.

They are playing Scotland aren't they?

Oh, the Scottish Rugby Union already shows an October 23rd test against Georgia: https://www.scottishrugby.org/fixtures- ... tions-cup/

Grand Slam attempt indeed.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 16:53

victorsra wrote:So, the 2 home nations that don't reach the playoffs would have 2 useless unattractive matches? Scotland won't accept, no way. Plus no anual matches against France just to incorporate Georgia, Spain, Russia? They don't think in long terms, that's a non-starter, unfortunatly, because it would be cool.

Using the Autumn Nations Cup format every team reaches the playoff. It's 1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, 3rd vs 3rd and 4th vs 4th.

My prediction is:
England vs France
Ireland vs Scotland
Wales vs Fiji
Georgia vs Italy

All are attractive fixtures. But if this was a regular format to replace the Six Nations I would change it to:

Pool A
England, Wales, Scotland, Georgia

Pool B
France, Ireland, Italy, Fiji.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby CraigChalmers » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 17:04

Would love to see something like this become a regular (but not annual) fixture in the calendar. Year after a RWC is possibly a little too soon in the rebuilding cycle though - sensible thing is surely in the mid point in the cycle. Would also be better surely to play it in the summer window, rather than at the beginning of the international season - so lets play it in the summers the lions tour..

And to make it different from the 6 nations (since it's unavoidable there will be repeats of 6N fixtures), we could hold all fixtures at neutral venues in a single country. Would only require 2-4 venues to host, so opens up hosting an international tournament to smaller countries who have no realistic prospect of hosting the RWC properly (Wales, Scotland, Georgia) and give other a platform to build a RWC bid on (Italy/Russia)

What's not to like?

Chester-Donnelly wrote:It is quite likely that on 5th December Georgia will face Italy at Murrayfield. This will be the closest thing we have seen to a Six Nations relegation playoff.

Seriously hoping now that Scotland gets its act back together on Covid and that game, if things work out, isn't played behind closed doors!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby brules » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 18:44

Chester-Donnelly wrote:It is quite likely that on 5th December Georgia will face Italy at Murrayfield. This will be the closest thing we have seen to a Six Nations relegation playoff.

In my opinion that's not very likely. Fiji lost last 5 games they played in Italy. Of course never say never, but I think that we have good chances.

BTW Georgia has faced Italy already 2 year ago in Florence.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 19:26

brules wrote:

In my opinion that's not very likely. Fiji lost last 5 games they played in Italy. Of course never say never, but I think that we have good chances.

I also think that Italy has good chances vs Fji.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 20:03

I also wouldn't count out Italy winning against Fiji.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 20:11

At least the Georgians are showing some good form for there French clubs.
Nioradze,Saghninadze,Javakhia playing well for Aurillac. Props doing well for French clubs in D2. Dont think Nioradze will be in Aurillac for long befopre he gets snapped up by a bigger club.
Gigashvili in top 14 team lastt week.
Abzhandadze,Lobjhanidze played well for Brive.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 21:34

Are those two halfbacks first choice at Brive? I don't follow French rugby. That's great for the Georgian side to half their 9 & 10 playing alongside each other in a top Pro league.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Fri, 11 Sep 2020, 22:44

brules wrote:

Whatever be the results, it is a grat opportunity for Fidji and Georgia, but also for italy. The 3 teams can improve their level playing against higher ranked opposition.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Sat, 12 Sep 2020, 02:30

Figaro wrote:Are those two halfbacks first choice at Brive? I don't follow French rugby. That's great for the Georgian side to half their 9 & 10 playing alongside each other in a top Pro league.

Lobjanidze is in Brive's starting XV for the second straight week. Abjandadze came on as replacement last week and scored 12 points. He isn't in the lineup tomorrow.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Scoob » Sat, 12 Sep 2020, 03:21

Looks like a second string team for Brive this weekend with big names missing

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Higgik » Sat, 12 Sep 2020, 07:55

CraigChalmers wrote:

Would love to see something like this become a regular (but not annual) fixture in the calendar. Year after a RWC is possibly a little too soon in the rebuilding cycle though - sensible thing is surely in the mid point in the cycle. Would also be better surely to play it in the summer window, rather than at the beginning of the international season - so lets play it in the summers the lions tour..

And to make it different from the 6 nations (since it's unavoidable there will be repeats of 6N fixtures), we could hold all fixtures at neutral venues in a single country. Would only require 2-4 venues to host, so opens up hosting an international tournament to smaller countries who have no realistic prospect of hosting the RWC properly (Wales, Scotland, Georgia) and give other a platform to build a RWC bid on (Italy/Russia)

What's not to like?

Seriously hoping now that Scotland gets its act back together on Covid and that game, if things work out, isn't played behind closed doors!

Like it, but would still like to see all internationals played in Sept-Oct in one 7 week block. With the 6N and TRC in April-May

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 16 Sep 2020, 15:38

Top Georgian rugby official reportedly shoots player
https://oc-media.org/top-georgian-rugby ... ts-player/

...WTF?!?

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum