Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby 4N » Sun, 24 Nov 2019, 14:46

That’s great. Being in Tokyo it will get added attention there too.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 25 Nov 2019, 00:33

Of all the T3 nations I think only Morocco and Tunisia have regressed more than Korea. Good to see Korea back. Hope it is a sign of things to come.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 09:04

Nice to see Samoa off to a good start in Dubai, with that awful measles epidemic devastating lives back in the Islands. This morning they followed up their 19-12 win over Canada with a 31-12 drubbing of Wales:

Manu Sevens dedicate first win to measles victims https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/sport/54402

Tournament live on World Rugby web-site now: https://www.world.rugby/

Update 7/12/19: SA eliminate Samoa in semis and beat NZ 15-0 in the final.

Invitational tournament results: https://dubairugby7s.com/schedule-resul ... n/schedule

How about this from Rugby Asia?

Update 8/12/19: Philippines won the tournament.

08.12 Mabalacat Philippines 14-12 Singapore Southeast Asian Games Group Stage
08.12 Mabalacat (Philippines) Indonesia 33-5 Laos Southeast Asian Games Group Stage
08.12 Mabalacat (Philippines) Malaysia 19-7 Thailand Southeast Asian Games Group Stage
08.12 Mabalacat Philippines 24-0 Malaysia Southeast Asian Games Group Stage
08.12 Mabalacat (Philippines) Thailand 31-14 Indonesia Southeast Asian Games Group Stage
08.12 Mabalacat (Philippines) Singapore 64-0 Laos Southeast Asian Games Group Stage
08.12 Mabalacat (Philippines) Indonesia 21-7 Laos Southeast Asian Games 5th Place Match
08.12 Mabalacat (Philippines) Thailand 12-5 Singapore Southeast Asian Games 3rd Place Match
08.12 Mabalacat Philippines 19-0 Malaysia Southeast Asian Games Final
http://www.theroonba.com/rugbysevens/men/2019.html

Meanwhile, another event upcoming on Spain's Costa Blanca:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Mon, 09 Dec 2019, 09:42

I guess this weekend's Cape Town 7s will be the last major rugby event of the decade :roll:

Cape Town 7s draw:

Current standings:

Update 13/12/19: Just caught the last game, live on World Rugby web-site:

Australia 21 Ireland 26
Kenya 24 Samoa 19
France 40 Spain 7
Scotland 26 England 24
Argentina 33 Canada 21
NZ 43 Wales 7
US 14 Fiji 28
SA 49 Japan 0

Update 14/12/19: I caught the final 2 games today, Fiji far too good for Japan (I think they were down to 5 men when Japan scored their consolation try at the end). SA v US was a tough battle. Americans had the momentum for much of the game but just couldn't break down the Bokke defense. Eagles are certainly a world class act in 7s though.

Australia 7 Kenya 12
Samoa 14 Ireland 28
France 24 Scotland 19
England 33 Spain 7
Argentina 45 Wales 0
NZ 33 Canada 5
US 42 Japan 7
SA 26 Fiji 14
Kenya 24 Ireland 24
Australia 24 Samoa 24
Scotland 22 Spain 19
France 33 England 22
Canada 17 Wales 14
NZ 19 Argentina 14
Fiji 54 Japan 7
SA 21 US 15

Cape Town 7s quarterfinal pairings

Kenya vs South Africa 12:18

France vs Argentina 12:40

Ireland vs Fiji 13:02

New Zealand vs Scotland 13:24

France big improvers in 7s. :shock: Wales not firing at all in this tournament, lose to Canada. :oops:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sat, 14 Dec 2019, 22:02

Edgar wrote:

Update 14/12/19: I caught the final 2 games today, Fiji far too good for Japan (I think they were down to 5 men when Japan scored their consolation try at the end). SA v US was a tough battle. Americans had the momentum for much of the game but just couldn't break down the Bokke defense. Eagles are certainly a world class act in 7s though.

Australia 7 Kenya 12
Samoa 14 Ireland 28
France 24 Scotland 19
England 33 Spain 7
Argentina 45 Wales 0
NZ 33 Canada 5
US 42 Japan 7
SA 26 Fiji 14
Kenya 24 Ireland 24
Australia 24 Samoa 24
Scotland 22 Spain 19
France 33 England 22
Canada 17 Wales 14
NZ 19 Argentina 14
Fiji 54 Japan 7
SA 21 US 15

Cape Town 7s quarterfinal pairings

Kenya 5-17 South Africa 12:18

France 19-10 Argentina 12:40

Ireland 12-31 Fiji 13:02

New Zealand 35-19 Scotland 13:24

Update. 15/12/19: Semis - SA 21-14 France, NZ 24-7 Fiji

Final - SA vs NZ

France big improvers in 7s. :shock: Wales not firing at all in this tournament, lose to Canada. :oops:

Cape Town not the only World 7s event on at the moment, apparently . . .

JetBlue Barbados Men’s Rugby team got off to a flying start with two wins out of three matches on the opening day of the 2019 Rugby Barbados World 7s Tournament played at Kensington Oval.

Led by captain Sean Ward and coached by Joe Whipple, team Barbados impressed 27-7 in their first encounter this morning against St. Lucia and returned in the afternoon with another solid 36-5 performance against Dead Pelicans from North California.

However, they were unable to finish the day undefeated having lost 19-7 to Atlantis out of Philadelphia in their final encounter.

http://epaper.barbadostoday.bb/infinity ... 1Mt0ZHMnUo

Also, Fiji's Wairiki Bua tournament will go ahead next weekend despite the measles epidemic: https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/wairi ... set-to-go/

Update 15/12/19: Hosts NZ win World Secondary Schools 7s title: https://fijisun.com.fj/2019/12/15/our-u18-sevens-boys-lose-to-tonga/?fbclid=IwAR1jQEn1RmujYxPg5JclfFb4AAbpxiiDSPbsBeHcGTjXkU26t-xWrE0q6Mk

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Edgar » Sun, 15 Dec 2019, 17:26

Edgar wrote:
Edgar wrote:

Update. 15/12/19: Semis - SA 21-14 France, NZ 24-7 Fiji

Final - SA vs NZ

Update 15/12/19: Hosts NZ win World Secondary Schools 7s title: https://fijisun.com.fj/2019/12/15/our-u18-sevens-boys-lose-to-tonga/?fbclid=IwAR1jQEn1RmujYxPg5JclfFb4AAbpxiiDSPbsBeHcGTjXkU26t-xWrE0q6Mk

Wow, I can watch this in Mandarin :shock: Japanese & German also among the options but no French, Dutch, Swahili or Fijian :?

Scoreless first half. Great defense at both ends. NZ had the lion's share of possession but coughed it up in a few key moments.

First blood to hosts as Kiwis start the 2nd half with more fumbles.

Punch-up results in free-kick to NZ. The score between the sticks to make it 5-7.

& that's the final score.

Botched throw at attacking lineout sees the Bokke's last chance go down the tube. Disappointing final.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Pichulonko » Mon, 16 Dec 2019, 23:45

Anyone know what team will be invited to Hamilton and Sydney? Los Angeles and Vancouver?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 16 Dec 2019, 23:51

Any other than Japan would be extremely surprising.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 07:47

Totalrugby.de has picked up, that the European champions Germany apparently won't get their deserved two stints at the Sevens World Series.
http://www.totalrugby.de/content/view/10079/38/

They tried to contact World Rugby if they really changed their competition rules after the tournaments were played and will rob Germany, but have received no answer yet.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 08:03

You must make them clear (WR) that you bring them to court if they wanna go ahead with their plan ! Its all that easy if you want to fight for your Rights!
But we talking about Germans

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 10:56

World Rugby registered in Dublin so could a case be brought in EU courts potentially?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 11:43

Absolutly!

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 12:33

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/news/548830

New Challenger Series to boost rugby sevens’ expansion

:::

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 12:37

germanbullsfan wrote:You must make them clear (WR) that you bring them to court if they wanna go ahead with their plan ! Its all that easy if you want to fight for your Rights!
But we talking about Germans

Or instead, you can ask yourself, what YOU personally can do. And that's surprisingly a lot in the age of social media. Go to the respective World Rugby facebook pages, confront World Rugby on twitter and instagram, do something better than ask somebody to go for a lengthy and expensive walk to the court. I promise you, if 50 people do this, they will react. ARD/ZDF did react to our cry for more Olympic rugby on tv (I think you took also part in that stunt) and in the end 5 million Germans watched it.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 13:31

That might be an idea right now , but beleave me , theres very quickly a point were talk is cheap and deeds are required .A Organisation like WR is not scared of social media bla bla , they are rather amused about the naivity of it. You must get them were it hurt tem most , money and integrety!

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 13:31

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/news/548830

New Challenger Series to boost rugby sevens’ expansion

:::

Only in rugby. They basically take an existing series in South America, call it Challenger Series and invite more or less the same teams, that travelled there anyway every year.
:roll:

... and announce it two month before the first tournament. Seriously is there a worldwide sports federation more amateur (in a very bad way) than World Rugby?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 13:34

germanbullsfan wrote:That might be an idea right now , but beleave me , theres very quickly a point were talk is cheap and deeds are required .A Organisation like WR is not scared of social media bla bla , they are rather amused about the naivity of it. You must get them were it hurt tem most , money and integrety!

I fear, that you don't understand how rugby has worked since its inception. It was always like this, the ones who get dangerous to the old guard are silently gotten rid of. Going to court will achieve exactly nothing, apart from silently trying to block everything the respective country could achieve in the next decade. You are right, that you have to create a wave about the integrity and that's social media.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 13:49

Teams are not exactly invited. They qualified through continental competitions.

Europe qualified 3, South America 2 (but Uruguay as a host earned 1 core spot, hence the 13 odd number of core teams), Asia 2, Africa 2, Oceania 2 and North America 1. The only invited teams are Mexico, Paraguay and Colombia because, yes, they are closer.

I think this is a great move from World Rugby, but obviously they needed at least one more 16-teams tournament outside South America to make it a real series. But this is the kickoff season, so that's fine. What I question is what Sudamerica Rugby will do now, what will be the South American Sevens Series?

And what will be the qualification for 2021? It would be better to have like 12 core teams qualified from their previous series results and 4 new core teams qualified from regional competitons (Europe, Africa, Asia-Oceania and Americas, maybe?).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:04

victorsra wrote:Teams are not exactly invited. They qualified through continental competitions.

Europe qualified 3, South America 2 (but Uruguay as a host earned 1 core spot, hence the 13 odd number of core teams), Asia 2, Africa 2, Oceania 2 and North America 1. The only invited teams are Mexico, Paraguay and Colombia because, yes, they are closer.

I think this is a great move from World Rugby, but obviously they needed at least one more 16-teams tournament outside South America to make it a real series. But this is the kickoff season, so that's fine. What I question is what Sudamerica Rugby will do now, what will be the South American Sevens Series?

And what will be the qualification for 2021?

They can not be qualified for it, as it wasn't clear when they played the respective tournaments for it. Actually they qualified for the HK Qualifier, which now 4 teams won't be a part of. If you change the rules later, you invite somebody. But I agree that's splitting hairs.

My problem with this is not the Series itself (that's a good idea), but that it is once again only a fig leaf. What they've changed for now is that they need to host 4 less teams in HK, while taking 6 non-cartel-nation-teams their chance to play tournaments on the World Series without even announcing it.

And this they can only announce two month before it starts, without even answering some simply questions like who from South America will qualify for 2021? What a joke World Rugby is.

Edit: I like the proposal of 12 core teams and 4 new teams (or make it 10 core and 6 teams from every region, so every region is always present).
Last edited by RugbyLiebe on Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:07, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:06

BTW, it would be interesting to know which costs WR pays and which costs the host nation pays. I remember when the women's series kicked off the hosts payed: stadium, training fields, accomodations and hospitality (and local transportation) for all teams ad WR staff + local marketing/communications. That's hard to make it worth.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:09

RugbyLiebe wrote:
victorsra wrote:Teams are not exactly invited. They qualified through continental competitions.

And what will be the qualification for 2021?

They can not be qualified for it, as it wasn't clear when they played the respective tournaments for it. Actually they qualified for the HK Qualifier, which now 4 teams won't be a part of. If you change the rules later, you invite somebody. But I agree that's splitting hairs.

My problem with this is not the Series itself (that's a good idea), but that it is once again only a fig leave. What they've changed for now is that they need to host 4 less teams in HK, while taking 6 non-cartel-nation-teams their chance to play tournaments on the World Series without even announcing it.

And this they can only announce two month before it starts, without even answering some simply questions like who from South America will qualify for 2021? What a joke World Rugby is.

I'm pretty sure they are qualified by it. Just check the last standings of each continent. Their release might be no good, but we know about it since HK7s published.

Germany, Italy and Portugal were the best in last Grand Prix. Chile and Brazil in South America. Jamaica in North America (otherwise it is obvious they would make Mexico the core team). Japan and Hong Kong in Asia. Uganda and Zimbabwe in Africa. Tonga and PNG in Oceania. It fits. Not random.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:12

victorsra wrote:
Germany, Italy and Portugal were the best in last Grand Prix. Chile and Brazil in South America. Jamaica in North America (otherwise it is obvious they would make Mexico the core team). Japan and Hong Kong in Asia. Uganda and Zimbabwe in Africa. Tonga and PNG in Oceania. It fits. Not random.

I am not saying it is random. But those teams played to qualify for the HK 7s AND for two tournaments on the World Series. Only 8 teams will now go to HK and apparently none will play on the World Series 2019/20.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:15

The invited teams to the series is a separate problem, due to Japan's condition.

But the Challenger series is very interesting: 2 tournaments + final tournament. It should be 3 + finals but ok.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 14:51

So what do we actually get.:

Pro:
- two dedicated second tier tournaments (World Rugby calls it a Series)
- not sure if this really a pro, but it looks like Japan's relegation was actually canceled, so we will actually have a new team qualifying for the World Series.

Contra:
- a change to 16 instead of 15 core teams. "replacing the bottom placed core team in the World Series in the following season". This leads to 6 less smaller teams playing on the World Series. (I could be wrong here).
- still the bottle neck HK 7s with only one team qualifying
- 4 less teams playing in a big stadium before a big crowd in HK (that's what those semi-pros actually do practice for all year round).
- until now Series consists of two tournament on only one continent over just two weeks.
- no tackling of the Olympic problem (aka still three teams from one Olympic federation on the World Series)

Sorry to be so negative about it, but I expected way more from this. Instead it feels like a step backwards and World Rugby fails to really use it as a tool for worldwide growth.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Dec 2019, 15:06

I understand you but let's see this as a kickoff. New developments will happen.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum