Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby victorsra » Sat, 26 Dec 2020, 22:49

Well, but if they care, that's the reason why to want their sevens programs alive in the World Series. It is a bit different reason from the other nations, that eye the Olympic and receive sometime goverment/IOC money for that, but the idea is the same.

IMO, GB is the way forward because if I were WRU and SRU pragmaticaly it is better to save that money and basicaly use PRO14 players (not called by the 15s national teams) in the Commonwealth Games, using a couple of 6N/July dates in that year to prepare those players. But clearly they don't see this way....

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 26 Dec 2020, 23:00

But Victor, it is absolutely infuriating, because they are not going to win a medal in sevens at the Commonwealth Games, ever!

Olympic sports should be on a Great Britain basis. Basketball has moved to a Great Britain team. Ice Hockey is organised on a Great Britain basis.

Field Hockey, I have just discovered, now has a nine team professional international annual league, inaugurated in 2019, which runs for six months. The teams are Australia, New Zealand, India, Argentina, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Great Britain. I guess Wales and Scotland don't care about field hockey. They're never going to win a Commonwealth Games medal for field hockey. But they're also never going to win a medal in rugby sevens.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 26 Dec 2020, 23:02

I agree with you. I'm just saying what I think is their main reason. And Wales winning the RWC 7s in 2009 might play a role making them hopeful. They've finished in 9th position the 2008-09 World Series...

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 26 Dec 2020, 23:15

victorsra wrote:I agree with you. I'm just saying what I think is their man reason.

I agree with you. But they're wrong. There is an opportunity to get the support of people who just love a Team GB. It is a strong brand, especially after the 2012 Olympic Games. Rugby sevens, field hockey, ice hockey, basketball. Maybe other sports like volleyball and handball could tap into it (although those sports have no Olympic funding). These Olympic sports should be using the Team GB Olympic brand.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 00:36

These are the major sevens tournaments over the next few years (not including World Series tournaments).

2021 Olympic Games (Tokyo). Team GB.
2022 Commonwealth Games (Birmingham). England, Wales, Scotland.
2022 World Cup Sevens (Cape Town). England, Scotland, Wales.
2023 European Games (Krakow). Team GB.
2024 Olympic Games (Paris). Team GB.
2026 Commonwealth Games, World Cup Sevens. England, Wales, Scotland.

So it's not actually as simple as just replacing England, Wales and Scotland with Team GB, because in a Commonwealth Games and World Cup Sevens year the home nations will be competing separately.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 01:51

Yes, it is basicaly only 1 year in the 4-years-cycle that matters to have England, Wales and Scotland split.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 02:24

victorsra wrote:Yes, it is basicaly only 1 year in the 4-years-cycle that matters to have England, Wales and Scotland split.

Yes, so do Wales and Scotland deserve a place in the World Series for one year in four? I think not. The Sevens World Series should be Olympic teams only, and Britain can arrange something itself in the Commonwealth Games / World Cup Sevens year as preparation for the home nations in these tournaments. Maybe, as a concession, Scotland and Wales can be given guaranteed places in the Commonwealth Games and World Rugby Sevens tournaments.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Rumpelstilzchen » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 11:58

I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but from a Scottish POV it makes sense to keep around the team in case of independence. They might be able to send their own team to the Olympics in 8-12 years and it would be a lot easier for them to get there if they still have their own team.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 13:13

Rumpelstilzchen wrote:I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but from a Scottish POV it makes sense to keep around the team in case of independence. They might be able to send their own team to the Olympics in 8-12 years and it would be a lot easier for them to get there if they still have their own team.

Yes, but they can also keep a permanent team in the European Grand Prix.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 14:25

I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but from a Scottish POV it makes sense to keep around the team in case of independence. They might be able to send their own team to the Olympics in 8-12 years and it would be a lot easier for them to get there if they still have their own team.

Thats pure continental wishful thinking , The scots will never again split from the UK! They had the chance twice and they didnt it. The social welfare checks from London which come regulary every month keeps the scots in the Union forever

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 14:54

If the Scots wanted independence they would be talking about independence. But instead they're talking about leaving a successful union to join a failing union. Personally I don't mind what they do.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 20:29

Well, they are talking: https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... ty-3070791

No matter what people think about the subject, if you are the Scottish Rugby Union you must have a careful position. It is a dificult situation, because if SRU ends its sevens program, it could be understood as an Unionist position, which could anger pro-independence fans. However, it looks like sevens is too irrelevant to matter, let's face it. It could be justified as "we are just saving money right now".

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby Rumpelstilzchen » Sun, 27 Dec 2020, 21:56

victorsra wrote:
Rumpelstilzchen wrote:I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but from a Scottish POV it makes sense to keep around the team in case of independence. They might be able to send their own team to the Olympics in 8-12 years and it would be a lot easier for them to get there if they still have their own team.

Yes, but they can also keep a permanent team in the European Grand Prix.

While that is true they couldn't keep the team professional. On top of that re-qualifying for the World Series is a lot harder than staying up. As I said, nothing is certain about getting independence and their own Olympic team, but I could see it as a reason for the SRU to hold on to Sevens.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 19:49

Scotland wants to maintain their 7s program as it has developed more than a few XVs internationals for them. Wales and England however don't really seem to care.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 20:15

I honestly don't think the argument "it produces players" is a real justification.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 20:26

Generally speaking, I don't think non-Olympic members should be competing in an Olympic pathway in qualifying years.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 21:56

If Scotland does leave the United Kingdom it would simplify how sports are organised in Britain and Ireland somewhat. For Olympic Games, cricket and probably rugby sevens we would be divided into three countries: Ireland; Scotland; England and Wales.
For most other sports we would be divided into four: Ireland, Scotland; Wales; England.
For football we would be divided into five: Republic of Ireland; Northern Ireland; Scotland; Wales; England.
For netball we would be divided into six: Republic of Ireland; Northern Ireland; Scotland; Wales; England; Isle of Man.
It would effectively end the complicated system we have now, of GB teams sitting above national governing bodies.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 19:56

Triathlon and Athletics are all Team GB. Don't really understand the problem with adopting that model. Especially since the World Series actually mirrors the World Triathlon Series circuit of races.

Wales and Scotland both run programs that feed into that structure more so just to continue athlete development.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Dec 2020, 20:01

WR could solve this without even asking the Home Nations. Just rule that only Olympics-eligible countries can play the Series. Easy to justify. And would bring two more countries that might be financed by their own Olympic Comitees. Wasn't that the reason to actualy want rugby in the Olympics?

But they won't, because of the Home Nations political weight...

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 20 Feb 2021, 11:04

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum