Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby Europe governance/politics

2020 RE president elections: who'd you vote for?

Poll runs till Sat, 05 Dec 2020, 14:30

Morariu
57%
Yashenkov
43%

Total votes : 14
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 16:10

Is the model SLAR (that we barely if will succeed), Basketball Euro League or the defunct Continental Shield? IMO some countries have SLAR as a model (we saw signs of that already in Spain, Portugal, I guess Georgia too). The Russians are probably looking their hockey's KHL as a model.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 18:44

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 19:15

Code: Select all
"I think there is somewhere a fundamental misunderstanding of what Rugby Europe and its governance structure and Presidential role is. The role of the President is to work for the benefits of all members.

Naturally Russians are too dumb to understand this! Leave him for a third term! :D

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 19:26

Nobody ever said Russians are dumb. I said YOU are.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 19:32

victorsra wrote:Nobody ever said Russians are dumb. I said YOU are.

When you take at least post of valet your words will mean at least something. 8-)

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 19:34

Actually this is a Morariu quote, not yours. 8-)

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 19:45

For stupid I can repeat my position! Not a penny of Russian money for Rugby Europe.
Octavian Morariu is worthy of Rugby Europe, let him continue to lead.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 20:44

I'm just making sure the message is clear ;) . We never know what you'll understand. :roll: Just in case, I can repeat this aaaaalll day 8-)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:05

After reading the interview, one thing is clear: Vova is an useless hopeless idiot that barely can wipe himself. But this has always been obvious.
---

The discussion between Morariu and Yashenkov is exactly what one could expect. The Russian says he'll revolutionize everything and the Romanian the he's already done or doing what his oppositor claims. Common politics. Yashenkov may be right about his hability of bringing more money and Morariu is right about many things already achieved or decided for the next year. Yashenkov has the benefit of the newcommer, Morariu has weight of the doubts of one many years in charge without achieving all things people demanded.

What is interesting is that Morariu says he already has the money for a Continental Shield-like tournament:

"“For those who follow more closely the Rugby Europe affairs,” he told insidethegames, “it is already known - as the Russian Union already knows too - that the launch of a Rugby Europe club competition and the necessary investment has already been voted by Rugby Europe Board in March 2020 and that this competition will launch for the 2021-2022 season.

“Also, agreements have been signed with media and commercial partners: River Media and Wasserman. A meeting with the union members concerned in the competition is currently taking place as I address your questions.

“I must add that Rugby Europe has already tripled its commercial income in the past 18 months and is already on a significant growth trajectory.”

Well, if so, Rugby Europe must improve the way the make those things public. Their website is very poor in the user's pov. This should be an obvious problem to solve.

Transparency is unconditional. We barely know how the election works, for exemple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:21

I think Yashenkov campaign is being too mild for all the shit he could throw at Rugby Europe's administration in the last few years, especially pre-2019. Yes, there has been some improvement as Morariu defends, but he was already in place. Two years of good things don't make right six years of wrongdoing in many aspects. Maybe the Russians are just admitting defeat and positioning themselves for next time? Is there anybody behind Morariu to succeed him?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:29

The thing is, Rugby Europe's current administration is not transparent enough. This war of "i'll do" vs "i already did" benefits Yashenkov because we never know what's realy happening. And I'm not talking about things that aren't needed to be open. I'm talking about publishing about meetings, decisions, plans, visions. What is published is merely what is bureaucraticaly needed to be public (like competitions cancelled due to covid). It is very different publish your vision and fail than not publish at all. It is much better to publish and fail, because the discussion that comes after is a much better one. But this isn't only Rugby Europe. Many sports federation haven't entered the 21st century, specialy regional ones.
Last edited by victorsra on Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:30

victorsra wrote:After reading the interview, one thing is clear: Vova is an useless hopeless idiot that barely can wipe himself. But this has always been obvious.
---

This is probably your main job. You help people . :D

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:32

Vova12 wrote:
victorsra wrote:After reading the interview, one thing is clear: Vova is an useless hopeless idiot that barely can wipe himself. But this has always been obvious.
---

This is probably your main job. You help people . :D

Do you want help? I knew it. Don't be ashamed.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:33

victorsra wrote:The thing is, Rugby Europe's current administration is not transparent enough. This war of "i'll do" vs "i already did" benefits Yashenkov because we never know what's realy happening.

You underestimate how comfortable most old farts at the head of unions are with statu quo (we already saw with World Rugby elections) and how many European unions don't trust anything coming from Russia.

For example, with all the amount of shit thrown publicly from my country towards Rugby Europe, I have zero doubts that we are voting for Morariu.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:34

In any case attempt to create a continental league and Yashenkovs nomination made Rugby Europe do at least something.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:35

Rugby Europe was already attempting to create a continental league when Russia lost the plot and tried to launch too quickly its Continental Club Rugby League.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:35

Well, sure, benefits in the public's eyes. But public doesn't vote. Who votes is people like them and this kind of interview doesn't change much. Continental federations are very confortable thing to be in, because rugby people are more concerned about their national unions. People always complain about their national teams, for exemple, not the structures they are in.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:38

It is like you either blame World Rugby or your country. Continental federations are a deep problem in rugby that must be much more discussed.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:39

victorsra wrote:Do you want help? I knew it. Don't be ashamed.

You can normally wipe my ass? My ass is too dear to me and besides it is my only one!

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:41

victorsra wrote:It is like you either blame World Rugby or your country. Continental federations are a deep problem in rugby that must be much more discussed.

You must first learn how to wipe your ass and then think about something more. 8-)

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 21:43

Armchair Fan wrote:Rugby Europe was already attempting to create a continental league when Russia lost the plot and tried to launch too quickly its Continental Club Rugby League.

This is called sabotage by Rugby Europe. This is exactly what is called. When Morariu is elected again lets see what his words are worth.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 22 Nov 2020, 23:57

What you call sabotage from Rugby Europe is what Rugby Europe perceives as sabotage from Russia. They had plan for a continental competition, they worked slowly and quietly because this one they wanted it to get it done properly, avoiding suspicious partners... and Russia decided to rush things because they couldn't wait. And I'm no fan of Rugby Europe, you've read me for years. But they are trying to slowly change things, what they absolutely don't need now is false steps.

Russia has the money to do a lot of things right now, but you are going to throw a lot of it directly to the bin because it seems to be more important for some of your leaders to spend it and then trying to put things in order than to think two minutes about what is the most reasonable path to success.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 03:52

Look , Rugby Europe leased the total organization and development of Beach and Snow Rugby to the Russian Rugby Union for the 2021-23 period. Well, luckly RE won't be wasting money with both and shouldn't be the priority right now.

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/rugby-europe ... snow-rugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 05:13

In this moment I'm not a Russia fan, from a political point of view, but I think Yashenkov's bid is a change worthy to be tried. Of course if he will keep the elections free and he will not start a Putin-like approach "no, sorry, you are not admitted to the elections; and no, sorry, you go the jail for a while; humm, who is left? Oh, just me? Well, it seems I'm forced to keep the power for other four years, damn it!".
The arrival of Morariu has had just light consequences on the impact strength of RE toward media and fans, the RE competitions remained semi-anonymous. I don't say it's a Morariu fault, maybe it's just because it's objectively too difficult to change in few years the impact of RE competitions and no one would have been able to do it. But the signs of changes, the new ideas, were too few. Or, at least, so it seemed. If Yashenkov has a more decisional approach and, mostly, if he can really pump more money into the engine of Rugby Europe, well, why don't try him?
Morariu indirectly criticized the Yashenkov's (or Artemyev's?) desire of making Russia a rugby power and I understand his critic: Rugby Europe must serve all the members, not privilegiate one of them. But I understand also that russian assertion: Rugby Europe is currently perceived as a flat, semi-anonymous entity, in the shadow of the strong and meaningful Home Nations+France; so it could be beneficial for Rugby Europe identity to have a recognizable strongpower, a reference point on the other part of the continent. Of course I'd prefer this point of reference was a more democratic one, but I've already said that...
A side note: as Morariu indirectly affirms, Russia is not marginated from the power right now, as many like to think. Russia was awarded with the RWC 7s in 2013, they host more RE 7s tournaments than every other member, they host youth tournaments, they were included in the Continental Shield, they have the chair of the RE 7s competitions (Morariu said that, I didn't know), they were awarded with the hosting of the appositely created Euro Beach championship and Euro Snow championship (despite there are traditional beach and snow movements also in Italy/France/Spain), they are certainly not ignored

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Mon, 23 Nov 2020, 08:12

Armchair Fan wrote:What you call sabotage from Rugby Europe is what Rugby Europe perceives as sabotage from Russia. They had plan for a continental competition, they worked slowly and quietly because this one they wanted it to get it done properly, avoiding suspicious partners... and Russia decided to rush things because they couldn't wait. And I'm no fan of Rugby Europe, you've read me for years. But they are trying to slowly change things, what they absolutely don't need now is false steps.

Russia has the money to do a lot of things right now, but you are going to throw a lot of it directly to the bin because it seems to be more important for some of your leaders to spend it and then trying to put things in order than to think two minutes about what is the most reasonable path to success.

They didnt do anything. They were forced to do at least something only creation of Continental League.
As a result Continental League was destroyed. This is how it looks from outside.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum