Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby Europe governance/politics

2020 RE president elections: who'd you vote for?

Poll runs till Sat, 05 Dec 2020, 14:30

Morariu
8
57%
Yashenkov
6
43%
 
Total votes : 14
Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Fri, 06 Nov 2020, 16:19

Can we go back to the Rugby Europe election ?

Who is able to vote for president? Is it 1 vote for each member country?

User avatar
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 06 Nov 2020, 16:21

We are all back already. Only you are left ... :D
Image

Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Fri, 06 Nov 2020, 16:42

victorsra wrote:Can we go back to the Rugby Europe election ?

Who is able to vote for president? Is it 1 vote for each member country?


So, I'm assuming "General Assembly" means 1 vote for each member country.

User avatar
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 06 Nov 2020, 16:48

I think yes. Unless of course Russia was not deprived of its vote for poisoning of Navalny or something else.
Image

Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Fri, 06 Nov 2020, 16:51

Vova12 wrote:I think yes. Unless of course Russia was not deprived of its vote for poisoning of Navalny or something else.

If you are trying to be promote to honorable piece of shit you have to make bigger efforts than this comment.

User avatar
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 06 Nov 2020, 16:55

I do not hurry. :D
Image

Posts: 4682
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 11:49

Rugby Europe has announced the appointment of Sports Media Ventures (SMV) & River Media Partners (RMP) agencies as marketing and sales partners to further develop Rugby Europe revenue streams.

Rugby Europe also intends to launch a professional club competition for the 2021-2022 season for the countries not participating in the 6 Nations. This initiative will be at the heart of the collaboration with both agencies.

https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/sports-media ... gency?s=09

Posts: 2418
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 12:02

I look forward to seeing the Amsterdam Pirates play the Dortmund Steelers and the Brussels Bureaucrats in the new Rugby Europe Super Fantastic Definitely Work this Time League.

User avatar
Posts: 6375
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 12:21

:D

Agree, I can't understand how they imagine it could work this time. It seems more an electoral move than a concrete project
Ok, well, probably they hope this time it will work also due to these two new agencies, but I doubt they've the magic wand

Posts: 500
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 13:44

Come on, that couldn't be worse than previous shields ... with no trophy, no finale or in an annex stadium, and EPCR which didn't care at all.

This one can work. There's obviously some will from Russian & Romanian clubs to do it. And it's not sure if there clubs will be able to play in Challenge Cup for 2021/2022 (or there will be Challenge Cup at all ...). So, everyone could work in the same direction. And there were a few basics that could be improve easily - better timing in the year, less big travel with more geographical groups, one trophy clearly identified, a better targeting of TV shows ... I think there's clearly a room for something, you just need to take it seriously.

User avatar
Posts: 6375
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 14:17

As far as the REC doesn't work properly -I mean as far as it will not reach a good popularity and a good tv coverage- I can't see how a club competition between the same nations could become sustainable and professional. In almost all the T2 nations, Italy included, the national team has an attracting power stronger, often much stronger, than the clubs.
Of course, anyway, I would be glad to be wrong

Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 14:49

sk 88 wrote:I look forward to seeing the Amsterdam Pirates play the Dortmund Steelers and the Brussels Bureaucrats in the new Rugby Europe Super Fantastic Definitely Work this Time League.


What about having the Cheetahs, Jaguares and Hong Kong? :lol:

Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 14:54

Canalina wrote:As far as the REC doesn't work properly -I mean as far as it will not reach a good popularity and a good tv coverage- I can't see how a club competition between the same nations could become sustainable and professional. In almost all the T2 nations, Italy included, the national team has an attracting power stronger, often much stronger, than the clubs.
Of course, anyway, I would be glad to be wrong

Yes, exactly.

User avatar
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 18:20
Location: Krasnomayskiy village, Tver region
National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Vova12 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 15:10

Great news ! I hope that Russia will not invest a dime in this!
Morariu! I vote for you!
Image

Posts: 500
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 15:31

victorsra wrote:
Canalina wrote:As far as the REC doesn't work properly -I mean as far as it will not reach a good popularity and a good tv coverage- I can't see how a club competition between the same nations could become sustainable and professional. In almost all the T2 nations, Italy included, the national team has an attracting power stronger, often much stronger, than the clubs.
Of course, anyway, I would be glad to be wrong

Yes, exactly.

I'm not meaning that you can have a big competition, being in the sport newspaper every morning. But you seem to forget there are already pro clubs in Europe, which have money to play intercontinental competitions.
Despite the pill of shit that was the Continental Shield, there still were quite a decent number of teams involved. And the KRL looked to have found a decent number of teams to start too, even if it finally dropped off (due to political reasons if I understood well).
I'm not saying everyone in Europe will take part to it, but :
1/ if you have enough time in your season
2/ if you are already pro / paid by an high performance center (so the Federation could create a "franchise", as in South America) / or a semi-pro squad with quite a solid financial backing
You might consider taking part if everything is well done, not to cost too much (or maybe even do some profits ?).

Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 17:09
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Tobar » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 15:35

Well I guess the devil is in the details here. Continental Shield didn’t make much sense because all of the times participating were from amateur leagues. And the 2 CS teams in the Challenge Cup got smashed for similar reasons.

But an actual full time league could work, I suppose. The key here is that the Continental Shield was not a league but rather a mini tournament between some of the teams while this would be an actual league. I have doubts that a lot of fans will be very interested in this but if they can make some sort of a league and have a “Continental Shield” lite tourney with promotion to Challenge Cup then I’d imagine the teams will fare better. And as vino says, unions can redirect some funding towards this as HP.

On this note, didn’t the Champions Cup format recently change which would affect the ability to have these teams play in the Challenge Cup?

Posts: 500
Joined: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:12
National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby vino_93 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 15:51

Tobar wrote:Well I guess the devil is in the details here. Continental Shield didn’t make much sense because all of the times participating were from amateur leagues. And the 2 CS teams in the Challenge Cup got smashed for similar reasons.

But an actual full time league could work, I suppose. The key here is that the Continental Shield was not a league but rather a mini tournament between some of the teams while this would be an actual league. I have doubts that a lot of fans will be very interested in this but if they can make some sort of a league and have a “Continental Shield” lite tourney with promotion to Challenge Cup then I’d imagine the teams will fare better. And as vino says, unions can redirect some funding towards this as HP.

On this note, didn’t the Champions Cup format recently change which would affect the ability to have these teams play in the Challenge Cup?


Oooh, your post make me feel like I haven't maybe rightly understood what they mean by "professionnal club rugby competition". I thought that was a new "Shield", which could work, whatever form it takes.
But real league ... meeeh, no, I have too many doubts too. It's a thing to promote a small european tournament, it's another to play a full year competition which would replace your local league (and your local rivalries). Maybe a few countries with structure to far from pro rugby could be interested, but I'm not sure ... (Netherlands, Belgium, Germany ?).



For Challenge, yes this season they can't. But this is the last season with current agreement in fact. Maybe there won't be Champions & Challenge Cup next year ... who knows.

Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 16:47

Premiership might expand to 14 clubs for 2021-22. This means Premiership + Top 14 + PRO14 (South Africans excluded) = 40 clubs. This means if EPCR keeps the model with 20 clubs in Champions Cup and 20 in Challenge Cup (pre-pandemics format) there won't be any spot for a T2. Who owns EPCR is T6N and the 3 leagues, T2s were there as invited clubs. No obligation.

Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 16:52

However, if EPCR accepts the South Africans in the Champions Cup (what I doubt), I believe Champions Cup would expand to 24. This means that maybe Challenge Cup could, for exemple, have 4 T2s, going to 24 as well. And with this the Cheetahs in a minor European league like the Russian or that Pan-European league could become viable and real . But as a South African team.

In the end, i find it hard to believe French and English clubs would support the idea of playing in South Africa.

Posts: 2418
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 17:10

victorsra wrote:
sk 88 wrote:I look forward to seeing the Amsterdam Pirates play the Dortmund Steelers and the Brussels Bureaucrats in the new Rugby Europe Super Fantastic Definitely Work this Time League.


What about having the Cheetahs, Jaguares and Hong Kong? :lol:


Cheetahs based out of Prague, Jaguares from Valladoid and Hong Kong playing in Sevastapol. :thumbup:

Posts: 2418
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 16:57
Location: Leicester
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby sk 88 » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 18:56

vino_93 wrote:Come on, that couldn't be worse than previous shields ... with no trophy, no finale or in an annex stadium, and EPCR which didn't care at all.

This one can work. There's obviously some will from Russian & Romanian clubs to do it. And it's not sure if there clubs will be able to play in Challenge Cup for 2021/2022 (or there will be Challenge Cup at all ...). So, everyone could work in the same direction. And there were a few basics that could be improve easily - better timing in the year, less big travel with more geographical groups, one trophy clearly identified, a better targeting of TV shows ... I think there's clearly a room for something, you just need to take it seriously.


I know what you mean but I would like to see some proper idea before I get at all excited or even interested beyond cynicism.

Is the plan a pro league or a top up comp? Personally I can't see a top up comp working. European Cup are generally only marginally more interesting than domestic leagues, certainly Top 14 and Prem don't get particularly bigger attendances for Euro games, why would a T2 club? If it is a proper league (even a short one of 12 weeks in the autumn, similar to MLR 1) who are the broadcasters you are targeting? Looking at the Rhine (Swiz, Germany, Belguim, Neth) area as a dense rich area? Or trying to be all things to all people and span Tblisi to Porto? Existing clubs or new projects? Glorified national teams limited in selections with other goals, or proper teams competing to be the best and nationality only incidental?

I think if they studied NFL Europe and could show that they got proper broadcasting deals there may be something in a similar idea for rugby. But a "European Club Championship, apart from all the big clubs" won't work.

Posts: 8408
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 19:51

sk 88 wrote:
victorsra wrote:
sk 88 wrote:I look forward to seeing the Amsterdam Pirates play the Dortmund Steelers and the Brussels Bureaucrats in the new Rugby Europe Super Fantastic Definitely Work this Time League.


What about having the Cheetahs, Jaguares and Hong Kong? :lol:


Cheetahs based out of Prague, Jaguares from Valladoid and Hong Kong playing in Sevastapol. :thumbup:


Norilsk Madagascar King Juliens vs Sevastopol Chinese Tigers. What a game! At least 30.000 in attendances, just needs promotion.

User avatar
Posts: 6375
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 21:35

Well, a bit off thread... Deutsche Rugby Verband twitter :P

Image

User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 04:52

They haven’t fleshed out the details but I imagine it could end up being a lager fixture list than the shield/cup comps but still not as long as a regular league, so maybe something like 10-14 fixtures. I would hope that teams could still play in their own domestic leagues as an add on like super rugby.

The project for T2 Europe should be to improve on and off the field at international level and by doing so raise the profile of the REC to drive growth. The league is unlikely to be successful financially or in terms of crowds/general interest, but if it can produce better standard of players for the national teams and a goal for young players to aspire to that would be a good start. And it would be a positive thing If more players from the various T2 European nations are picked off by the larger leagues in France and England by playing in a “higher profile” league.

User avatar
Posts: 697
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 11:27
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Rugby Europe governance/politics

Postby ihateblazers » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 04:58

sk 88 wrote:
vino_93 wrote:Come on, that couldn't be worse than previous shields ... with no trophy, no finale or in an annex stadium, and EPCR which didn't care at all.

This one can work. There's obviously some will from Russian & Romanian clubs to do it. And it's not sure if there clubs will be able to play in Challenge Cup for 2021/2022 (or there will be Challenge Cup at all ...). So, everyone could work in the same direction. And there were a few basics that could be improve easily - better timing in the year, less big travel with more geographical groups, one trophy clearly identified, a better targeting of TV shows ... I think there's clearly a room for something, you just need to take it seriously.


I know what you mean but I would like to see some proper idea before I get at all excited or even interested beyond cynicism.

Is the plan a pro league or a top up comp? Personally I can't see a top up comp working. European Cup are generally only marginally more interesting than domestic leagues, certainly Top 14 and Prem don't get particularly bigger attendances for Euro games, why would a T2 club? If it is a proper league (even a short one of 12 weeks in the autumn, similar to MLR 1) who are the broadcasters you are targeting? Looking at the Rhine (Swiz, Germany, Belguim, Neth) area as a dense rich area? Or trying to be all things to all people and span Tblisi to Porto? Existing clubs or new projects? Glorified national teams limited in selections with other goals, or proper teams competing to be the best and nationality only incidental?

I think if they studied NFL Europe and could show that they got proper broadcasting deals there may be something in a similar idea for rugby. But a "European Club Championship, apart from all the big clubs" won't work.


Euro league basketball would also be an interesting case study

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Pro(p) Kicker and 17 guests