Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby victorsra » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 22:10

Steaua and Dinamo are supposed to use the future Arcul de Triumf in the Romanian Superliga or not?

Is there any other club in Bucharest? I saw in the second division there is Grivita Rosie Bucuresti. CSM withdrew? And is Spoortul Studantesc dead?

And what heppend to Stadionul Cotroceni? Isn't it central?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 17 Apr 2020, 09:07

victorsra wrote:Steaua and Dinamo are supposed to use the future Arcul de Triumf in the Romanian Superliga or not?

Is there any other club in Bucharest? I saw in the second division there is Grivita Rosie Bucuresti. CSM withdrew? And is Spoortul Studantesc dead?

And what heppend to Stadionul Cotroceni? Isn't it central?

Steaua and Dinamo will use the Arch if needed and perhaps can play matches between them there but they have their own stadiums, albeit not as modern as this one.

CSM is so far dead but there are chances to be resurrected. They had a nice pitch rented from Olimpia club so they can play there, their junior/kids squads still train on that stadium. RC Grivita have its own pitch and so far its level don't justify to play on Arch.

Arcul de Triumf will be mainly used by national teams (XV, U18, U20, 7s, Women 7s etc.) and for kids/juniors local competitions. Of course if a club will want to play certain matches, it will be available.

Controceni stadium is a football one and was used only one time, at the France - Romania 2006 test, the last one played by Oaks vs T1 outside RWC. It is not used now at all and is property of National Bank of Romania. With EU accession, any other activity than financial/banking one of National Bank was prohibited or at least this is what they claim and they refused any rental or selling offers. Their tennis court is also in conservation...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 19:43

Romania submitted its candidature for U20 World Rugby Championship in 2022.

https://frr.ro/2020/04/23/romania-a-dep ... itia-2022/

- FRR is assured to have the support of the Government which wants to organize other sports major competitions as well
- some logistic investments are expected (including sport facilities)
- will likely benefit of the infrastructure built for Euro 2020 (football)
Last edited by amz on Fri, 24 Apr 2020, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 23 Apr 2020, 19:54

Championship? Interesting, this would probably mean expansion to 16 teams.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 27 Apr 2020, 19:02

Nicolas Onutu, Oaks wing, extended his contract with CS Vienne (F1)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 20:33

Unfortunatelly, the rumors that SCM Gloria Buzau will stop playing in the Romanian SuperLiga CEC Bank has been officially confirmed.
The club informed FRR of the decision to suspend activity for rugby and voleyball and only continue with the handball and football teams going forward.
It was announced that children and junior teams will continue to be suported.
Most foreign rugby players contracts were due to expire in May and decision was taken not to renew after that in view of expected post pandemic financial context.
It's a sad outcome as the club managed to create a good local following and made themselves visible in the recent seasons. So, Romanian SuperLiga CEC Bank is now left with 6 teams to finish 2019-2020 season after losing CSM Bucharest at the start of season and SCM Gloria Buzau with 5 rounds left to go - whenever sport events will be allowed to re-start.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 29 Apr 2020, 21:47

Very disappointing to hear this. But I am going to be positive about the situation. Dinamo can strengthen their team with Buzau players. Six Superliga teams is enough, 3 matches per weekend. The children and junior teams are continuing. Talented players can still be developed for the Bucharest teams.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Sat, 02 May 2020, 19:24

Guys, I have two thing to present, one is a potential schedule for rugby players from Romania and also Romania`s potential tests in July and November! :D

Schedule:
September - May (no rugby in December and January) SuperLiga, Divizia Nationala de Seniori and u19s, u17s tournaments etc.
October - December Cupa Romaniei
February - March Rugby Europe Championship
March Cupa Regelui (King`s Cup)
April Kontinental Club Rugby League
May u20s and u18 rugby Europe championship
June 7s tournaments
July tests
August promotion-relegation playoff between 6th place in SuperLiga vs 1st place in Divizia Nationala de Seniori
November tests

Tests:
July - There are rumours that Romania will participate in World Rugby Nations Cup in Uruguay along with the hosts (Uruguay), Spain, Russia and two other teams (most likely Argentina XV and Namibia).

November - Romania should play Belgium in November as they didn`t in March, while a match with Uruguay is confirmed while Romania might even play USA in the Pershing Cup as it has been played every two years and the last time was in 2018 so....

That's it, please let me know your opinions!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 May 2020, 18:11

Any information about FRR voting for Pichot? Was that true?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Tue, 05 May 2020, 18:44

victorsra wrote:Any information about FRR voting for Pichot? Was that true?

There is no oficial public position of the FRR but everybody in the social media seems to think that the vote went for Pichot, yes.
The question often being asked is what was to be gained when most signals would have indicated a vote for Beaumont.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:21

Some news from Romanian rugby in the last few weeks.
FRR indication so far is that current season 2019-2020 will continue sometimes in September for both SuperLiga and second division DNS (Divizia Nationala de Seniori).
There is the hope DNS current 8 teams are managing this lockdown situation and 2 new teams may plan to join the DNS from next year season. Next season proposal is Spring - Autumn.
With Stiinta Petrodani likely to take Buzau's place in SuperLiga and Navodari also having a thought about it (realistically more likely the following season), the second division may reach 10 teams.

An intersting suggestion from FRR this week, to arrange a training camp for up to 60 players from July / August (from Superliga teams) subject to approval by Health / Sport ministers of training practices and current law. It would help the rugby players get some form, in advance of the season re-start, support the clubs at a difficult time and also for selection purposes...I think is a very good ideea if it's approved.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:46

At SCM Timisoara some new administrative changes where the managers of the 3 big clubs: handball, basketball and rugby, but also tenis team, have been changed.
For the rugby team Dan Borzas returns (previously had the position in 2009) as the new manager of the rugby team (https://www.opiniatimisoarei.ro)
It is likely that some contracts will not be renewed.
What was mentioned is, Sosene Anesi will continue as Technical Coach helped by Vali Calafeteanu (his first assignement after a short stint as
skills coach at U20 team) and Mihai Lazar player coach.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Grzegorz B. » Tue, 26 May 2020, 18:24

I have two questions about Romanian rugby, I will be grateful for response :)
- Do I understand correctly that there are currently no leagues/games below Divizia Națională de Seniori? Only 15 clubs in league system in Romania (14 without Gloria)?
- Why did start and how did end the Hungarian adventure of Spartan Oradea?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 26 May 2020, 19:10

Grzegorz B. wrote:I have two questions about Romanian rugby, I will be grateful for response :)
- Do I understand correctly that there are currently no leagues/games below Divizia Națională de Seniori? Only 15 clubs in league system in Romania (14 without Gloria)?

Yes, there are no leagues below DNS.

Spartan Oradea was an amateur club. They were playing in the third Romanian league but had some complaints about referees and organizational matters, or at least that's what they claimed, and they switched to the Hungarian league. It may also have been cheaper to play there. The team was financed by a guy who also played for them and is the owner of Spartan, a security company that also employs a bunch of the guys that were playing. At one time they asked for some financial help from the City Hall, 5k euro IIRC, but were denied. At some point I guess the guy that ws paying the bills decided he had enough of it and stopped doing it. They were training twice a week but they usually had about 7 guys at practice. They had a facebook page but usually didn't post anything about upcoming matches, they would only post the result after. Interms of crowds there were usually 20-30, free access, which were WAGS, friends, random stragglers that happened to be there at that time and perhaps me and a friend of mine if we managed to find out about the game or went there to play foot tennis right when they happened to play. They were playing at the university pitch, which was the only rugby pitch in the city and which was later switched to a football one because some local football team wanted to play their games in the 4th league there.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 26 May 2020, 20:31

iul wrote:
Grzegorz B. wrote:I have two questions about Romanian rugby, I will be grateful for response :)

Spartan Oradea was an amateur club. They were playing in the third Romanian league but had some complaints about referees and organizational matters, or at least that's what they claimed, and they switched to the Hungarian league. It may also have been cheaper to play there. The team was financed by a guy who also played for them and is the owner of Spartan, a security company that also employs a bunch of the guys that were playing. At one time they asked for some financial help from the City Hall, 5k euro IIRC, but were denied. At some point I guess the guy that ws paying the bills decided he had enough of it and stopped doing it. They were training twice a week but they usually had about 7 guys at practice. They had a facebook page but usually didn't post anything about upcoming matches, they would only post the result after. Interms of crowds there were usually 20-30, free access, which were WAGS, friends, random stragglers that happened to be there at that time and perhaps me and a friend of mine if we managed to find out about the game or went there to play foot tennis right when they happened to play. They were playing at the university pitch, which was the only rugby pitch in the city and which was later switched to a football one because some local football team wanted to play their games in the 4th league there.

So, in there are only 2 leagues, but Wikipedia tells us Romania has about a hundred rugby clubs, what do the other teams do? Play local teams in one of games?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:17

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
iul wrote:

So, in there are only 2 leagues, but Wikipedia tells us Romania has about a hundred rugby clubs, what do the other teams do? Play local teams in one of games?

..maybe wikipedia source is this list... https://frr.ro/cluburi-afiliate-la-frr/

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 26 May 2020, 22:44

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
iul wrote:

A lot of them are just junior clubs for kids and they just either train, or they participate in various local or nearby kids' competitions. The average club only has about 30-40 players, so a lot of them don't really have enough players for age groups.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Grzegorz B. » Wed, 27 May 2020, 19:43

iul wrote:Yes, there are no leagues below DNS.

Thanks a lot. I had to confirm it because I wasn't expecting something like that. The change from 2018 killed third level clubs?

And this Spartan... Just little curiosity :)

Ps. Oradea - nice place (at last 20 years ago :)).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 28 May 2020, 06:54

Grzegorz B. wrote:
iul wrote:Yes, there are no leagues below DNS.

Thanks a lot. I had to confirm it because I wasn't expecting something like that. The change from 2018 killed third level clubs?

And this Spartan... Just little curiosity :)

Ps. Oradea - nice place (at last 20 years ago :)).

The clubs still exists but they aren't in a regular competition but only occasional ones. It was anyway difficult for them at the respective level and the output and contribution to performance was minimal. It wasn't more than grassroot beer rugby which isn't mandatory to have its own division. This was the opinion of FRR at least and some clubs 3rd division were forced to comply with DNS standard which otherwise probably wouldn't have happened.

You should see Oradea now, it's a completely different league, most of it was rebuilt/ restored (for old buildings); few pictures here:

https://www.amjourneys.com/oradea-city-guide/

https://www.ingridzenmoments.com/oradea ... tractions/

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Grzegorz B. » Thu, 28 May 2020, 09:05

Thanks again.

I remember beautiful places like Vulturul Negru and this view - with other building standing in front of synagogue with a huge advertisement of Coca-Cola :)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 10:14

https://www.world.rugby/news/571491?fbc ... 3w4uovhMmA

This is the article from June 17 about the new Arcul de Triumf Stadium and the future of Romanian Rugby in Petrache's vision.
One thing catched my eye in what Romanian FRR president said: "“It is our home, and it is our heart,” said Petrache. “We have played rugby on that pitch for 107 years, and we have run the administration of the stadium for the last 49 years.”"
I don't remember having seen Romanian national team playing on this pitch before the 2007 Nations Cup.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby Grzegorz B. » Sat, 20 Jun 2020, 18:20

novac wrote:https://www.world.rugby/news/571491?fbclid=IwAR1X4i0oXJdvAfDkQdQgIVGGQAhLYz2KYnn4jeDnC5vmKnQ8_3w4uovhMmA

This is the article from June 17 about the new Arcul de Triumf Stadium and the future of Romanian Rugby in Petrache's vision.
One thing catched my eye in what Romanian FRR president said: "“It is our home, and it is our heart,” said Petrache. “We have played rugby on that pitch for 107 years, and we have run the administration of the stadium for the last 49 years.”"
I don't remember having seen Romanian national team playing on this pitch before the 2007 Nations Cup.

"We have played" may relate to other games. According to https://www.world.rugby/news/32158, "The headquarters of the Romanian Rugby Federation and the national stadium “Arcul de Triumf” are located on a piece of 24 hectares of land made available in perpetuity in 1913 by the Mayor of Bucharest Grigore Cantacuzino to the Romanian Sports Confederation for a token annual lease of one ‘Leu’." There were the first rugby games in Romania, including the first championship final.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 22 Jun 2020, 15:34

Some news from romanian rugby, taken from http://www.planetaovala.ro

May 25
Romania bids to host the U20 World Cup 2022
https://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi/r ... 0-19032589
(but I think this was already known)

June 16
Duel between rugby and football for the use of the renovated Arcul de Triumf
https://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi/r ... u-19043585
The dispute between the rugby and football federations for the "Arc de Triomphe" stadium is still subsiding: "We do not want and we do not have the legal mechanisms to ban anything." What Alin Petrache and Florin Matei said during a visit to Timișoara
In the last month, the Arcul de Triumf stadium, the home of Romanian rugby, which is now being renovated due to football, has become the apple of discord between the two federations. The rugby players are afraid that they will be taken out of the home of the national team, where many children's teams also play. On the other hand, football says that it could play smaller games "on the road", as the new arena rises in the context of EURO 2020, not due to any funding attracted by the leaders of the sport with the oval ball.
While Ionuț Stroe, the Minister of Youth and Sports, says that politics is to blame, because he established a framework for the maintenance of the arena to belong to a federation, almost a month ago, the rugby players were upset that those from they also want football on the Arc de Triomphe.
"We want a rugby stadium, where all our national teams can play and where we can organize the important matches of the clubs, in the championship, in the cup, in the European competitions. I think the footballers burned the stages, because they had to ask us for their approval before bragging that they would play on this arena. From my point of view, the stadium is a rugby one, a project I worked hard on, I don't know if other sports will be able to enter here. That remains to be seen ", said Alin Petrache almost a month ago.
Alin Petrache has softened his speech in the meantime
While visiting Timișoara, Alin Petrache and the general secretary of FRR, Florin Matei, say that they recently discussed this subject with Răzvan Burleanu.
The President of the FR Rugby says that there is no question of bans. "It is a dispute that exists only on television. We have been in that field for 107 years. Most of the national team's games took place on that field and I think it is the heart of Romanian rugby. We do not want and do not have the legal mechanisms to prohibit anything. During all this period when we were widowed by our stadium, we tried to promote our sport and play more outside Bucharest. There are communities that have embraced us and made the football field available to us. Others hugged us in fear. There are studies that show that those passes that footballers make spoil the field more than those from rugby ", said Alin Petrache.
The women's national team could play there when there are no rugby matches
Secretary General Florin Matei completed Petrache and specified that FRR has nothing against the Arc de Triomphe playing the Romanian girls' national football, or the junior ones, as long as there are no matches of the "Oaks".
"We do not want to ban anything, because we are not owners. We have been playing there for over 107 years, we have earned this right. The Arc de Triomphe is not just a stadium, it is a sports complex designed for competitions, for training athletes, for recovery after effort. This stadium has never been owned by FRR. We had the right to use it and we want to stay there. It will not be a problem to play football, as long as there are no rugby matches ", stated Florin Matei.

June 19
Revolt in Timisoara due to continuous delays in the salaries payment
https://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi/r ... u-19043585
Revolt after the official visit of the FR Rugby President! The players from Timișoara Saracens, reproaches to the management. The reaction of the club manager
It seems that the visit of the President of the Romanian Rugby Federation Alin Petrache and of the General Secretary Florin Matei was not auspicious for the Timișoara Saracens rugby team. After the visit on Tuesday, at Wednesday's training, the players had to blame things for the management, in this case, the financial arrears.
If on Tuesday, Petrache and Matei said they talked to the mayor and assured them that Timisoara will remain an important rugby center and that a new rugby stadium will be built, which has been promised since 2012 (of course, only on paper) , on Wednesday, during the team's training, there were tense discussions.
ProSport information is that the new coach, Valentin Calafeteanu, understands the players that they are no longer reluctant to train, given the salary arrears. The director of the SCM mayor's club, Vasile Rușeț, but also the section manager, Dănuț Borzaș, would not agree with the neglect at training.
The main problem in Timisoara Saracens, lack of trust
Borzaș did not deny the existence of tense discussions between the management and the locker room. "The team is training, because the matches will start again from August 1. Coincidentally, the director and I went there on Wednesday and went to talk to them. Indeed, there have been some reproaches. They don't trust me anymore. They did not think they would receive state aid either. It was paid in full in January, I can tell you for sure that by the end of the month, the entire salary will be paid in February. There are three quarters left in March and a half in May ", said Borzaș.
According to sources, Vasile Rușeț allegedly had a tough argument with Eugen Căpățînă, but Borzaș did not confirm this.
The club says that the problems of the former Romanian champion will be solved
Dănuț Borzaș believes that the players will trust the club again when they are up to date. "Now, to be mean, they didn't do that when they were four months behind, and I'm doing it now. I think things will be different when we get back to normal. Efforts are being made ", Borzaș also said.
However, on the whole, at SCM Timișoara the treasury is a bit empty. Apparently, it is desired to make certain equipment orders that will be paid only next year, in winter, in 2021!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 06 Jul 2020, 12:52

Some news from Timisoara about new signings:

Mihai Lazar (prop, last time with Oyonnax) will have the occasion to play with his brother, Dorin Lazar.
Gigi Militaru (prop, Tomitanii)
Joji Sikote (prop, Fiji)
Kemal Altinok (flanker/N8, Romania U20)
Sorin Pandichi (scrum-half, Romania U20)
David Trausan (flanker/lock, Romania U18, Warriors Timisoara)
Ionut Balaban (center)
David Moise (prop) from Gloria Buzau

Timisoara lost a lot of players in last months, V. Rus (captain, flanker), Jack Umaga, Luke Samoa, Randall Morisson, Bidzina Shamkharadze (all retired) and Sione Halalilo, Sione Taupaki, Aranda.

Iftimiciuc (lock) went to F1 club Periguex.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sun, 12 Jul 2020, 16:50

Dinamo signed flanker Sorin Cosereanu from Gloria Buzau. He was the captain of now extinct senior team.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum