Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby CherryCoffin » Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 19:12

Stefan Petrescu wrote:The game is currently not as popular as football among children (although it never was), the Romanian Federation have an annual budget of 2.5 million Euros (which is half the Dragon club budget in the Pro 14), the Media coverage is fairly decent considering that Romania's best team sport (in terms of rankings) is actually Rugby and finally, they have to invest money into the youth players (to improve the state of rugby) as you would think that Romania u20's would be on the same level as Italy or Gerogia, when in reality, we are as good as Belgium and the Netherlands (with our rich history as you grandfather said, this is shocking for us fans too).

Thanks, couple of follow ups.

Is rugby smaller amongst children/the young than it was?
Do people still follow rugby widely?
Is the lack of money in Romanian rugby a symbol of wider and poorer economic conditions in Romania or just limited to rugby?

Thank you again

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 19:47

No worries, compared to the 1980`s (our golden years), Romania have similar playing numbers so the number of youth players playing rugby must have been the same, some people do follow rugby widely (mostly rugby fans) whilst others may watch Romania on some occasions if they stumble onto them on q TV channel and see that they are wining and finally, I do think that that our small budget is partially due to the Romanian Government`s small desire to invest in any sports for the matter (although I believe that they do have enough money to invest at least 5 million into Romanian Rugby), but is also due to the Romanian Federation`s lack of marketing (tickets, merchandising, partners etc.) which could bring us a lot of money (especially since Romanian Rugby merchandise is rare to come by). However, if you consider our small budget and the level of our youth players, it is actually an achievement that Romania are still fighting for 1st place in the Rugby Europe Championship against teams like Georgia, Spain and Russia who have 10 million, 5 million and 20 million euros respectively.

Postby Batti » Sun, 14 Feb 2021, 09:01

Stefan Petrescu wrote:However, if you consider our small budget and the level of our youth players, it is actually an achievement that Romania are still fighting for 1st place in the Rugby Europe Championship against teams like Georgia, Spain and Russia who have 10 million, 5 million and 20 million euros respectively.

The squad is super old though. What will happen when these guys retire ?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Sun, 14 Feb 2021, 09:59

Although we do have not have a solid u20s team, we will always have 1, 2 or maybe even 3 star players each year that can get into the senior squad while we also have loads of players in their mid to late 20's currently in the squad, so the old guys can retire when they want to, the problem is that most of them play in France, which will definitely be a loss, but we will just have to adapt.

Postby Batti » Mon, 15 Feb 2021, 08:00

Stefan Petrescu wrote:Although we do have not have a solid u20s team, we will always have 1, 2 or maybe even 3 star players each year that can get into the senior squad while we also have loads of players in their mid to late 20's currently in the squad, so the old guys can retire when they want to, the problem is that most of them play in France, which will definitely be a loss, but we will just have to adapt.

My bad, I had not seen the new squad. It's much younger !

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Fri, 19 Feb 2021, 11:10

https://www.super-liga.ro/2021/02/19/ec ... onul-2021/
News about the six teams that will take part in the new Super Liga season. They are actually the same teams as last year.
It seems that the top 3, Baia Mare, Timisoara and Steaua are doing well. Some new transfers and good training bases. The other three teams, Dinamo, Cluj and Constanta are trying to get through another season safely. Maybe Dinamo have less worries.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 23 Feb 2021, 10:19

Historic moment in oval ball sport: rugby federations from the Republic of Moldova and Romania will be twinned and will sign a collaboration protocol
https://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi/m ... e-19211422

The most important people of rugby on the two banks of the Prut had a meeting on Monday in Galați, Romania, where the strengthening of the ties between the two leading forums of this sport was set up.

The meeting in Galați was also attended by Anatolie Curechi, vice-president of FRM and Anton Pisaroglu, political consultant and candidate for the position of vice-president of the Romanian Rugby Federation in the elections that will take place at the end of this week.

During the discussion between the leaders of the sports forums, it was also established that, on the day of signing the collaboration protocol between the two federations, Anton Pisaroglu will become honorary president of the Rugby Federation of Moldova.

Regarding this event, the Romanian official stated: “I am pleased that we have agreed with our friends in Chisinau to strengthen relations between our rugby federations, including through this appointment. I was born in Tecuci, so in Moldova between the Prut and the Carpathians, and my grandparents, my father's parents, are from the Republic of Moldova. The fact that I will become honorary president of FRM is a great joy for me ".

"The discussions with Mr. Alexei Cotruță showed that there is a common approach on both sides of the Prut in connection with the promotion of rugby. We, in Romania, are ready to offer our support for the Moldovan brothers, for the Rugby Federation of Moldova, for the progress of rugby between the Prut and the Dniester ", said Alin Petrache.

As a first concrete step in order to strengthen the rugby ties between the two banks of the Prut, the leaders of the Romanian Rugby Federation and the Rugby Federation of Moldova proposed a visit to Chisinau of the Romanian U20 rugby team, to conduct a training camp of Moldovan colleagues, for five days, next spring, informs realitatea.md.

This training camp is scheduled to end with a demonstration rugby match between the team of the Republic of Moldova and that of Romania, the president of the country, Maia Sandu, being invited to this match. The invitation was sent last week, in a letter addressed to Maia Sandu by Alexei Cotruță and Anatolie Curechi.

(The vice-president of Romania federation will become honorary president of Moldova federation, so this seems a solid deal)

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum