Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 13 Apr 2020, 18:46

victorsra wrote:Don't know about the size, but Romania is right buiding an arena that can improve attendance experience and, therefore, their hability to do succesful events, crucial to atract new fans and sponsors. Also, remember they could use the facility (if suitable) to rent it for other sorts of events, like concerts (meaning money).

I completely agree. In almost all cases it is beneficial for a national rugby union to own its own stadium.
1. To have its own "home of rugby".
2. To be taken seriously as a national sport.
3. To generate income.
4. To be able to secure borrowing.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 08:56

@Chester: I don't know why are you so concerned with attendance. FRR simply does not make advertising. However, when they wanted, they had the stadium full with tickets in main stand at an amount of 20-25 EUR, usually at matches with better teams (Georgia, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, US, Canada) and they occasionally had concerts. There are very few T2 countries which can sell this type of tickets. . Even at U20 trophy, when Romania played, the stadium was 2/3 full despite, as I said above, lack of attendance. There are T2 nations in considerably worst shape, we've seen tests at T2 level with 100 people and a dog in so called "emergent markets". Nations Cup in Uruguay is sometimes seen by TV camera operators and technical teams and so on.

We usually see big crowds when hosts get a good team like Barbarians, NZ Maoris or T1 opposition (something that Romania never had in last 14 years), otherwise is usually dire attendance everywhere. So ignoring your rude reply, I'd advise you to have a look at all before making such statements.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 09:36

You're being very sensitive. Spain, Georgia, Russia and even Belgium get bigger attendances than Romania in the REC. That is a shame for the players because they are usually one of the better tier 2 teams. It is a shame that Romanins don't like to go and support their team.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 10:09

Considering Romania is one of the few Tier 2 who has a supporters club I'd be more cautious when judging whether they are supported or not.

When you have a history of playing and beating Tier 1 and your standards go down, when results don't go your way, when the country has issues other than rugby to worry about, when the venue is unattractive... Well, it's normal that attendances aren't that good.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 10:22

Chester-Donnelly wrote:You're being very sensitive. Spain, Georgia, Russia and even Belgium get bigger attendances than Romania in the REC. That is a shame for the players because they are usually one of the better tier 2 teams. It is a shame that Romanins don't like to go and support their team.

Yes, playing in Botosani (population just over 100k) in the extreme northern side of the country or on very old pitches until the Arch will be ready, because winter (and need of under pitch heating).

But all sports have low attendance in Romania because most people prefer TV and this is observable by the standard of TV broadcast (which is suitable for video ref, even in domestic competition) as opposed to some T2 broadcasts.

When big names like Barbarians, NZ Maori, some T1 second sides or even T2 good teams will show up, there will be attendance. Also you noted what I said about not advertising all matches or felt the need to focus on me being oversensitive?

Do you even look in perspective? Romania never hosted matches in cornfield (like happened to Oaks in Canada) or in sports fields of a hotel (like happened in Russia) and always hosted on best pitch available. We could have hosted the matches in big football stadiums (newly built, like Craiova - 30k, Targu-Jiu - 12k) to be closer to fans but almost no one from opposition wants to travel. With Botosani, they didn't had a choice giving the danger of snow. Yet Romania did travel in small towns when was required to play abroad.

So spare me of your superiority regarding attendances, also look at the matches and see if they're reported corectly ;)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 12:11

Stop accusing me of thinking I'm superior. I wish Romanian rugby well. I was only questioning whether 8500 was a bit too big. I understand that Romanians do have a culture of watching sports on TV, not at the stadium, and supporting professional sports through other ways such as taxes and donations. I like that there are cultural differences. And I agree that some published attendances are not honest. We are all friends on here so please stop trying to fall out with me.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 12:30

oh go get report somewhere you're getting bullied on an internet forum ;)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 13:25

amz wrote:oh go get report somewhere you're getting bullied on an internet forum ;)

You're probably grumpy because you're stuck at home, just like the rest of us.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 13:46

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
amz wrote:
victorsra wrote:Cool.

How many places it will have?

I think 8500

How will FRR persuade 8500 to go and watch the Oaks play?

I will tell you a story from 2002. I was a student back then in Iasi, a town of more than 300k people, also in the northern side of the country, not far from Botosani where the national team played its last matches. In 2002 Romania played a home match against Spain in Iasi. I love rugby since I started to walk. My father was a Rugby player and a referee and he always took me with him to watch the matches. When the news came that the national team will play in our town I couldn't be more happier. I started to tell all my colleagues from University about the match and trying to convince them to come and watch it on the stadium which I think it was having a capacity of some 12k. Finally I could convince four of them to come with me. In the mean time announcements were done through the city with megaphones about the match. A national team was coming in our city, this was a very big event. I am sure that the entry in the stadium was free and when the match started there was no more chair left unoccupied. Many spectators were standing and I thing the stadium capacity was overdone. There was a super show. I will never forget that match and I have never seen the stadium so full after that. Last time when the national team played at home there were 1500 people in Botosani on a stadium that could welcome around 8000 spectators. I don't know if they will come more on the new stadium built in Bucharest. I hope so. Even if the match will be held in Iasi I don't know if they could get more than a couple of thousands spectators. I don't live in Iasi anymore and I couldn't get four more people to come and watch the match together.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 15:59

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
amz wrote:oh go get report somewhere you're getting bullied on an internet forum ;)

Not really, I actually had a big laugh about your pedantic concern.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 16:30

I saw an article about Bucharest having all major football clubs stadiums rebuiltm, but they cited the Arcul de Triumf. Is there anything to do with Romania-Bulgaria-Greece-Serbia bid for the UEFA Euro (as training facility)?

And who also the Arcul de Triumf stadium? FRR? Bucharest city? Romanian government?

And non-rugby question: the arch is in tribute of what? Independence? World Wars?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 16:37

amz wrote:
Chester-Donnelly wrote:

Not really, I actually had a big laugh about your pedantic concern.

I don't think you understand pedantry. My interest is genuine.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 18:31

non-rugby question: the arch is in tribute of what? Independence? World Wars?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcul_de_Triumf

maybe, UNIFICATION of Romania lands after WWI -- 1 DEC 1918

:::

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 19:01

victorsra wrote:I saw an article about Bucharest having all major football clubs stadiums rebuiltm, but they cited the Arcul de Triumf. Is there anything to do with Romania-Bulgaria-Greece-Serbia bid for the UEFA Euro (as training facility)?

And who also the Arcul de Triumf stadium? FRR? Bucharest city? Romanian government?

And non-rugby question: the arch is in tribute of what? Independence? World Wars?

Yes, all major football stadiums in Bucharest are being rebuilt (Steaua, Dinamo, Rapid) while National Arena was rebuilt some years before (but pitch, on purpose due football lobby is too short for rugby). Arcul de Triumf have perhaps the best location of all stadiums being in the best area of Bucharest so it is rebuilt to be used as training pitch for Euro 2020 (now postponed). There were other pleasantries in the past between FRR and Romanian government concerning the land plots in the area so I presume it was due to the past services and with a look to the future.

The great location of the stadium comes with a downside, you can make it bigger than it was designed now (it's an area which is preserved) and anyway one corner of the new stadium cut part of a street which was pretty complicated (public domain, papers) .. anyway FRR will have a stadium for next decades with hotel, conference rooms, underground facilities, heated pitch, pub/restaurant etc.

The stadium hosted concerts in the past but they stopped to protect the pitch. It's a 100 yrs rugby stadium and name come from the monument that FD linked above, first one after Independence War and was rebuilt after WW1.
Last edited by amz on Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Tue, 14 Apr 2020, 19:23

A few more facts: i understand it was requested by then Bucharest mayor Grigore Cantacuzino as a multi purpose stadium just across the street the Cașin Monastery (you can see it in most pictures) and not far from the Arc de Triumf monument, which later gave it the name (details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcul_de_Triumf)
First game of rugby on the new stadion was between Sporting Club si Tenis Club, two very well known clubs of the time...with first national rugby champions TCR in 1914.
I heard that germans used it in 1916-18 when they were stationed in Bucharest and the capital was moved to Iasi, king Carol II of Romania used it for popular adresses in the 30's....so plenty of history to go with it.
With it's central prime location and good links (metro, buses, parks, hotels, not too far from airport) it has a good chance to be very succesfull.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 15 Apr 2020, 17:20

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 06:17

Despite the sensationalism of the title of article (it's a football newspaper ;) ) , there are few interesting news in this article:

- Oaks might play on 7th November with Belgium on the new stadium and then two tests with "pretty good teams"
- Super Liga will continue in Autumn and will have a new format next year.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 07:21

Looks like a nice little stadium. Room for expansion in the future?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 07:31

thatrugbyguy wrote:Looks like a nice little stadium. Room for expansion in the future?

No need, Bucharest got 3 other newly build bigger stadiums.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 07:40

Bogdan_DC wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:Looks like a nice little stadium. Room for expansion in the future?

No need, Bucharest got 3 other newly build bigger stadiums.

Also is a historical area and you can't build over a certain height. It anyway was streched over a piece of a nearby street. It's the biggest you can build in the area... but as Bogdan said, the other 3 football stadium can host rugby matches if needed. Petrache actually mentioned the other stadiums will be used for competitions that FRR wants to host in the future, he mentioned they submitted their bid to organize U20 World Cup in 2022.

About SL, all teams entered in technical unemployement (75% of salaries) except Gloria Buzau which was sadly disbanded which is hard to understand considering the funding facilities offered by the state in this period of time. Also they make efforts to reintroduce Bucharest Wolves in EPCR Challenge Cup.

Postby 4N » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 13:40

Also they make efforts to reintroduce Bucharest Wolves in EPCR Challenge Cup.

Good news if it happens. Will the new Arcul de Triumf have undersoil heating?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 13:49

4N wrote:
Also they make efforts to reintroduce Bucharest Wolves in EPCR Challenge Cup.

Good news if it happens. Will the new Arcul de Triumf have undersoil heating?

Yes.

Postby 4N » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 14:03

:thumbup:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 17:44

Is Bucharest Wolves just Steau and Dinamo players, or is it Romania by another name?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 16 Apr 2020, 19:51

Chester-Donnelly wrote:Is Bucharest Wolves just Steau and Dinamo players, or is it Romania by another name?

Wolves was never just Steaua and Dinamo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/București_Wolves

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum