Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby amz » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 14:42

Do you have any idea since when RE talks about its Euro Cup project? I know this from before 2015 but I didn't mentioned because reasons, now that is public is fine. Nothing happened.

Same as with the competition proposed by Russia, if it will have a sponsor to support travel costs, it might work. Otherwise I don't see how.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 14:46

amz wrote:@Chester-Donnelly: Because while it was in Challenge Cup, there were no logistical hiccups, the team didn't announced will sign up than retire like others did and occasionally had good results. I don't mind Spain or Georgian teams to apply for Challenge Cup but as far as I know none have this intention. It's not about a Romanian team participating instead of a Spanish or Georgian one but to my knowledge, no such intention was seriously considered by the respective Unions and the clubs from respective countries are quite weak. So I don't see this antagonistically, I am merely speaking about what FRR can realistically do now.

There were some experiments with select sides from Portugal and a club from Spain but the only project outside 6N which lasted in Challenge Cup was Romanian Wolves and it was kicked out, otherwise it would have been there as well.

Wolves would field a mostly Romanian side, would have a new stadium, sponsors for this franchise, Bucharest is a fun and easily reachable destination and the record of participation was above the performances of Italian clubs (not the franchises) and other participants from among T2 nations (Portuguese, Spanish sides). The only comparable performance is recent participation of Russian clubs but as opposed to Romanian participation, on a much shorter period of time.

Also I don't get why other countries should have a representative side? Is their choice what they do.

There are plenty of regional franchises which are representative sides in Celtic nations so I don't see where the problem is. Do you want a participant that can thick the standards or you want only clubs, ignoring that others can field franchises? I think is important for rugby outside 6N to show a pathway and some lesser 6N clubs/franchises might don't wanna participate into Challenge cup seriously being focused on other objectives e.g. avoiding relegation from domestic competition so their place could be taken by other clubs.

EPCR will probably be more and more only about their 3 major leagues. Premiership will expand soon. First ask what's the future of the Challenge Cup.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 14:51

amz wrote:Do you have any idea since when RE talks about its Euro Cup project? I know this from before 2015 but I didn't mentioned because reasons, now that is public is fine. Nothing happened.

Same as with the competition proposed by Russia, if it will have a sponsor to support travel costs, it might work. Otherwise I don't see how.

Yes, I do know, I heard this before too. We can go back to the posts about Rugby Europe itself and whats's good and wrong with it. But the need of a continental solution looks to me still desirable.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 17:28

For this proposed Rugby Europe Victor Cup there are already some relevant regional cup competitions.

The Champions and runners up of the Portuguese and Spanish leagues play eachother in the annual Copa Iberica de Rugby. Current champions are Valladolid RAC.

The top 4 Belgian and top 4 Dutch teams compete in the annual BeNe Cup.

This could either give these teams a pass to the semi finals, or could enable more countries to be involved.

Quarter finals example:
West: Iberia vs BeNe
Central: Germany vs Switzerland
East: Russia vs Poland
South: Georgia vs Italy

Semi finals
West vs Central
East vs South

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 30 Sep 2020, 17:32

:lol:

That's pretty much the idea. It is viable if Rugby Europe could manage to subsidize it, promote it (and RE needs to have a bigger media presence) and if the title means something. It has to start somewhere.

Georgia-Italy is too far, but I agree with you that, well, Georgia is far anyway from anyone and Georgians want to beat Italians. Might work, because means something.

You forgot Romania.

I'd prefer to start with:

South: Italy vs Romania
East: Russia vs Georgia
West: Spain vs Portugal
North: Germany vs BeNe

If it works, think about Poland , Switzerland....

BTW, Northern Italy (where best clubs are) to Romania is basicaly the same distance as Romania to Georgia... with the difference you can flight direct from Bucharest to Milano... and low cost! There is even Timisoara - Bologna flight available... and Bologna very close to most leading Italian clubs...

Anyway, it doesn't matter the draw, because other things can influence. What matters is the concept.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 10:47

Oaks squad for November matches (Belgium, Russia):

LHP:
Alexandru Savin (CSA Steaua)
Constatin Pristăviță (CSM Sțtiința Baia Mare)
Vasile Balan (CSA Steaua)
Ionel Badiu (Valence Romans Drome)

Hookers:

Eugen Căpățână (SCM Timișoara)
Ovidiu Cojocaru (CSM Știința Baia Mare)
Tudor Butnariu (CSA Steaua)
Ioan Tomașcu (Niort)

THP:
Horațiu Pungea (SCM Timișoara)
Alexandru Țăruș (Zebre)
Alexandru Gordaș (Stade Nicois)
Costel Burtilă (Rugby Club Hyères-Carqueiranne-La Crau)
Cosmin Manole (CS Dinamo)

Locks:
Valentin Popârlan (SCM Timișoara)
Florian Roșu (CSM Știința Baia Mare)
Johannes Van Heerden (CS Dinamo)
Marius Antonescu (Bourg en Bresse)
Adrian Motoc (Massy)
Ionuț Mureșan (SCM Timișoara)

Backrow:
Mihai Macovei (Colomiers)
Vlad Neculau (SCM Timișoara)
Vlad Nistor (US Seynoise)
Dragoș Ser (CSA Steaua)
Adrian Ion (ACS Tomitanii)
Cristi Chirică (Sporting Club Appameen)
Andre Gorin (Bayonne)
Kamil Sobota (CSA Steaua)

Scrum-half:
Florin Surgiu (CSA Steaua)
Tudorel Bratu (CS Dinamo)
Gabriel Rupanu (SCM Timișoara)

Fly-half:
Daniel Plai (CSA Steaua)
Tudor Boldor (CSA Steaua)

Centers:
Florin Vlaicu (CSA Steaua)
Vlăduț Popa (SCM Timișoara)
Moa Maliepo (SCM Timișoara)
Cătălin Fercu (SCM Timișoara)
Taylor Gontineac (Clermont Espoirs)

Wings:
Nicolas Onuțu (CS Vienne Rugby)
Ionuț Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
Stephen Shennan (SCM Timișoara)
Marius Simionescu (SCM Timișoara)
Tangimana Fonovai (CSA Steaua)

Fullbacks:
Ionel Melinte (SCM Timișoara)
Paul Popoaia (CSM Știința Baia Mare)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 18:54

Outlook of Autumn games for the Oaks:

25th Oct: Russia A - Romania A (Moscow)
1st Nov: Romania - Belgium (REC Championship) (17:45 Bucharest, Arcul de Triumf - depending on the stadium being ready by then!)
7th Nov: Romania - Russia (test game) - Bucharest

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby welshdragon2000 » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 19:01

Belgium will be full strength against Romania. First time in a long time that Belgium will be taking a full squad to an away game. Should make for interesting viewing.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 19:12

It was announced by the FRR that second division championship (DNS - Divizia Nationala de Seniori) will be finished on the field starting with 31st Oct, ending on the 21st Nov.
Bottom 4 teams will play 3 rounds taking into consideration the positions of the first half of the competition and points accumulated. Top 4 will play a tournement style home and away, to establish final positions.

DNS standing after first half of the competition:
1.CS Stiinta Petrosani
2.CSM Galati
3.CS Navodari
4.RC Barlad
5.RC Grivita
6.CSU Arad
7.CSM Bucovina Suceava
8.RC Gura Humorului
Last edited by dans on Tue, 06 Oct 2020, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Fri, 02 Oct 2020, 20:05

welshdragon2000 wrote:Belgium will be full strength against Romania. First time in a long time that Belgium will be taking a full squad to an away game. Should make for interesting viewing.

Yeap, looking at their squad some good players there: Sven D'Hooghe (lock, Biarritz ProD2), Charles Reynaert (back/wing, Stade Nicois ex ProD2 Valence Romans), van Bost (lock, Beziers), Thomas Wallraf (winger, Nevers), Vincent TAUZIA (back row, ex Aurillac, Seynoise), Jens Torfs (center, Mont-de-Marsan, ex Perpignan), Craig Dowsett (back, center or wing...Blackheath), Julien Berger (experienced scrumhalf Cognac ex Nevers, Provence)...
I don't know how much they all played together, but it will be a good game... 'Black devils' don't have a lot to loose, pressure will be all on the Oaks!...and 'pressure & expectation' is a funny thing on these shores!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Sun, 04 Oct 2020, 15:02

If we look at Romania`s side, apart from Radoi, the Ursache brothers and Burcea (who have retired from national team) we honestly have our strongest team so I therefore can not wait for our rematches with Russia and the potentially high-scoring game vs Belgium in Bucharest!

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 19 Oct 2020, 15:15

https://www.facebook.com/concelex/photo ... =3&theater

Steaua Stadium almost finished and yes, will host rugby.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum