Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 02 Feb 2021, 18:27

Do you trust that FRR president will approve that all the income will be used only for rugby development? If you agree that this will happen then you are right, I don't know much about Romanian rugby.

Would be fantastic if the revenue of the Arcul went all to junior rugby. The right strategy. But, according to you, an unlikely one....

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 02 Feb 2021, 19:36

novac wrote: Let's suppose it will get 100% in property of FRR and I'm very happy with that. As some of you already suggested the stadium should be used for other events, like concerts and even football matches. What will happen with money? Will FRR invest them in the rugby centers that they are taking care of? Do you trust that FRR president will approve that all the income will be used only for rugby development? If you agree that this will happen then you are right, I don't know much about Romanian rugby.
I wish that Arcul stadium will be used by FRR and all the income will contribute to the Romanian rugby success, both locally and internationally. I would love to see that by the next Rugby World Cups we will have a national team that will participate and will win at least one match. I would love to see a Tier 1 team coming on Arcul and the stadium full with spectators. God help to happen all this!

there's no legal mean to get the monies out of a federation for other scopes than what the respective federation is doing. yet they could be siphoned, overpay some employees, things like these, small business, pilfering if you want but considering FRR budget I doubt they can siphon a lot because their operating costs are significant; they operate teams at all levels except women XV and this is no small thing; when the times were good like 2011-2018 they organised some nice events. could have been better? probably. but there are no monies for best in marketing, best in PR and so on so they're into a circle, they have limited means and any contribution is valuable; you're dreaming of stadiums like National Arena full, not even football is capable of that ; you are comparing periods of time when Romanian sport was well funded but all sports took a dive, not only rugby; tune your expectations...most money will go into rugby but FRR cannot do the job of clubs and you can't educate young players only in national team environment. what was FRR job with juniors they did it at a decent level, they had a trophy in Romania, there were no hiccups in funding those U20/18 teams , they organised travels for those kids (France, Scotland, Georgia) and so on...but don't mistake clubs' job...how many junior clubs are doing a fine job? you can count them on one hand (Baicoi, GH, CSS Baia Mare, CSM Bucuresti), the rest are hectic, have a generation, than a gap etc. FRR can't do club's job as you seem to imply

I get that you played rugby but management, events and stuff like this is a different bussiness and you need money for those skilled professional. Also I think you're unfair when you say that the level of local competition was raised only because of foreigners. sure, they had a contribution and filled gaps but in 2015 the team behaved well with mostly Romanian players, the foreigners were in small numbers. Also take a look around, all nations are lookin to get the best out of the foreigners who played in their competitions or are eligible for them. Look at Spain, they would have been at the same level without the infusion of French players. I know, you'll give me the Georgian example but there is much more support from government compared with Romania. Look what our beaurocrats are doing...

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby notemol172 » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 06:32

Romanian rugby is at an important crossroads, with qualification for Rugby World Cup 2023 the ultimate goal.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 09:55

Bine aţi venit!

Already three wise statements

Other two in neighboring threads

England, France renew battle for European rugby supremacy
2020-21 Rugby Europe Trophy is the fifth season of the second premier rugby union competition for European national teams

Yes and some of us watch Super Rugby indeed

:::

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 11:00

New Romania kits for the season - love the colourful one

https://www.facebook.com/242479193269/p ... 93270/?d=n

Postby Batti » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 17:14

Do they have no respect for their colours ?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 17:18

Actually the colours were respected...

I personally like their new shirts, but my tastes are like shit: I already liked last year's.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 20:36

sammo wrote:New Romania kits for the season - love the colourful one

https://www.facebook.com/242479193269/p ... 93270/?d=n

it's quite nice but it's more for 7s imo; fit great for a beach party too which adds to the selling potential :lol:

Batti wrote:Do they have no respect for their colours ?

small history lesson:
https://www.sports-depoque.com/fr/maill ... -1924.html

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby GeoRugby » Wed, 03 Feb 2021, 22:01

The white kit is ok. The other jersey just looks weird, specially with yellow shorts, socks and collar. Why does FRR constantly coming up with new "loud" tasteless designs? Whats wrong with classic yellow and blue?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 04:00

Yes, why Romania doesn't have now an all-yellow shirt?

small history lesson:

The historical light blue shirt is cool and reminds me the 1970 football team. Any special reason to use light blue?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 06:31

GeoRugby wrote:The white kit is ok. The other jersey just looks weird, specially with yellow shorts, socks and collar. Why does FRR constantly coming up with new "loud" tasteless designs? Whats wrong with classic yellow and blue?

The marketing idea is good, always coming up with something new, because most of the Romanian fans already have a classic yellow one. But the results are wrong, that crazy shirt can be cool on 7evens or at least try crazy things on away shirt...

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 06:43

victorsra wrote:Yes, why Romania doesn't have now an all-yellow shirt?

small history lesson:

The historical light blue shirt is cool and reminds me the 1970 football team. Any special reason to use light blue?

I doubt there is a special reason, dont forget it was in 1924. The team lack any funding and it was a real adventure for the players to go to Paris.They got there on their own, some crazy guys living their dream. It could be a nice theme for a movie.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 07:30

I don't know. Personally I'd like yellow shirt, blue shorts and red socks as in the 70s/80s but that's just me. With reserve equipment they can do whatever they want.

I don't mind the new shirt but it would have been better at 7s .

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 08:37

amz wrote:

I don't know. Personally I'd like yellow shirt, blue shorts and red socks as in the 70s/80s but that's just me. With reserve equipment they can do whatever they want.

Maybe they'll bring back the yellow shirt, blue shorts, red socks when they feel they have a team worthy of it. If Romania can qualify for RWC 2023 I would like to see them in their traditional colours. Their new kits are ok but I feel like they are a second and third kit, with their first kit missing.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 08:58

Great play jersey. In spirit of modern European trends. :D

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 11:55

Let's have a look at some Romania matches from the past, considering that will take who knows how much time until the team will play again on home soil and the spectators will be allowed on stadium.
First match: Romania-Spain 24-7 from last year in Botosani, the only match played at home and the last one with spectators.
https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/competitions ... eplay=true
Second match: Romania-Spain 67-6, played in 2002 in Iasi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oP7vnoncas
Third match: Romania-France 15-0, played in 1980 in Bucharest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8miiP9mvrBM
Happy memories. Let's hope some more will come.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Feb 2021, 13:26

amz wrote:

My preference as a fan is yellow shirt, blue shorts and red socks too for kit 1 and that light blue for kit 2. Both iconic, sound "Romania" for me.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 09 Feb 2021, 11:56

RIP Arcul de Triumf as Romanian rugby's home. It has been taken over by the ministry of sport. They say all sports are welcome there, and rugby will be around there for a while, then they'll say we're destroying the pitch or whateved and rugby will be kicked out eventually. The stadium rebuild turned out to be the poisoned chalice.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 14:00

https://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-3/buget- ... 23355.html
The article above contains the info that the Steaua rugby team had a budget of 925k eur last year

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 15:33

That budget looks excellent to Romanian standards, but to European standards, that is absolutely awful. Just look at Zebre/Benneton who both have around 5 million euros. Even the Russian teams have 3 million euro budgets. If anything, it is an achievement that the Romanian league is comaparable to the Russian Premier League. The team should have at least 2.5 million euros, not 1 million.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Wed, 10 Feb 2021, 15:51

iul wrote:RIP Arcul de Triumf as Romanian rugby's home.

not over yet

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby novac » Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 08:32

Romania is going to have the first match at home in the REIC 2021 season against Spain, probably on March 21st. Let's see where the match will be played: Botosani, Cluj, Craiova or maybe Arcul (this will show exactly what MTS is going to do with this stadium). The other REIC matches will be away, first one in Russia, the next in Portugal and the final one in Georgia. Of course, the last one should be in July against Belgium/Netherlands, also in Romania. It looks like a repeat of the matches from 2020, but the other way, starting in Russia and finishing in Georgia.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 10:54

I just saw the new Romanian jerseys for 2021. What the hell is with the one with the messy lines?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby CherryCoffin » Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 11:26

Is there any hope for Romanian rugby to sort itself out and grow again? My grandfather always said how good the Romanians were but for the last decade or so it’s seems there are not anymore.
Is the game strong among children or dying out? Is there enough money?
What’s the media coverage like?
How will the Romanians improve the state of the game?
Sorry if those are a lot of questions but I’m curious about the situation.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Sat, 13 Feb 2021, 18:00

The game is currently not as popular as football among children (although it never was), the Romanian Federation have an annual budget of 2.5 million Euros (which is half the Dragon club budget in the Pro 14), the Media coverage is fairly decent considering that Romania's best team sport (in terms of rankings) is actually Rugby and finally, they have to invest money into the youth players (to improve the state of rugby) as you would think that Romania u20's would be on the same level as Italy or Gerogia, when in reality, we are as good as Belgium and the Netherlands (with our rich history as you grandfather said, this is shocking for us fans too).

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum