Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Romanian Rugby

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Romanian Rugby

Postby amz » Fri, 12 Mar 2021, 09:38

novac wrote:I don't think it's that far away. It's around 5km from city center. In Iasi I had to cross all the city to get to the rugby stadium. I just put my ass on the tram and got there safely.
Another thing, I know that spectators will not be allowed to the match, but will it really be someone there to control if people try to get on the stadium? From what I remember the entry on the rugby stadium was always free, I mean no ticket was requested. So, if someone happens to pass by the stadium will someone forebid to enter?

When Steaua plays you do have to buy a ticket to enter, at least this is how it was in last 5 years where I went there. It's an old pitch with old stands and almost no other incentives. The match was played after the 2019 RWC disqualification so there was not much interest and the weather was terrible. Also Bogdan is right, it's at the end of Bucharest, I don't like going there because of traffic (don't compare Iasi traffic with Bucharest one ;) )

Probably the access will be limited as Steaua is after all an Army base.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Fri, 12 Mar 2021, 16:51

amz wrote:
novac wrote:I don't think it's that far away. It's around 5km from city center. In Iasi I had to cross all the city to get to the rugby stadium. I just put my ass on the tram and got there safely.
Another thing, I know that spectators will not be allowed to the match, but will it really be someone there to control if people try to get on the stadium? From what I remember the entry on the rugby stadium was always free, I mean no ticket was requested. So, if someone happens to pass by the stadium will someone forebid to enter?

When Steaua plays you do have to buy a ticket to enter, at least this is how it was in last 5 years where I went there. It's an old pitch with old stands and almost no other incentives. The match was played after the 2019 RWC disqualification so there was not much interest and the weather was terrible. Also Bogdan is right, it's at the end of Bucharest, I don't like going there because of traffic (don't compare Iasi traffic with Bucharest one ;) )

Probably the access will be limited as Steaua is after all an Army base.

That game with USA in Nov'18 folowed by Uruguay defeat, was it not in the last days of Lievremont?... He was sacked 2 weeks later after only a few games in charge. We wasted the spring, summer & autumn that year.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 02:45

I just read about the stadium situation. Absolutely ridiculous.

Postby Batti » Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 06:50

dans wrote: That game with USA in Nov'18 folowed by Uruguay defeat, was it not in the last days of Lievremont?... He was sacked 2 weeks later after only a few games in charge.

What is the real reason for this ? There has been no explanation at all.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 07:12

Batti wrote:What is the real reason for this ? There has been no explanation at all.

No official explanation was given. Was speculated by press that he promised to deliver 3 wins in Autumn of 2018 and only delivered one. I found this very hard to believe. Probably win vs Portugal was on table but November tests no, especially not for someone named as head coach in September.

Lievremont claims that his staff and his prerogatives were modified by FRR after were initially accepted. Here it might be something true as Romania wanted to renounce to Olivier Rieg at that time who was with the team since beginning Howells era.

Also rumors about a conflict between players and Lievremont emerged but nothing was confirmed by any side.

World Rugby was involved in this decision as well but it is unclear how much and exactly how. Probably their approval was sought because it was about a High Performance Programme.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 20:09

Can someone please tell me who owns Arcul de Triumf? I thought FFR owned the stadium and had offices in the stadium or nearby.

By the sounds of things the FFR budget is being squeezed by the Romanian Government because of the issue with the stadium.

What is the big issue, do the football association want this stadium for themselves? The photos coming out of Romania’s current training ground is shocking, how can they prepare for a massive game against Spain training on that.

Postby armchair_expert » Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 21:08

Alocarea bugetară pentru 2021 destinată Federației Române de Rugby stârnește critici severe din partea conducerii rugbyului românesc. „Nu e nici măcar un buget de supraviețuire, e un buget de desființare!”, a declarat vicepreședintele FRR, Anton Pisaroglu.
Nemulțumit de cei 2.6 milioane de lei pe care Ministerul Tineretului și Sportului îi propune Federației, Pisaroglu este de părere că rugbyul este desconsiderat la nivelul Guvernului și că nicio constrângere bugetară nu poate justifica amputarea atât de drastică a finanțării.

so this ProSport article says the FRR's new budget is 500K Euros - is this the entire budget or just the part that comes from MTS?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 18 Mar 2021, 21:33

armchair_expert wrote:
Alocarea bugetară pentru 2021 destinată Federației Române de Rugby stârnește critici severe din partea conducerii rugbyului românesc. „Nu e nici măcar un buget de supraviețuire, e un buget de desființare!”, a declarat vicepreședintele FRR, Anton Pisaroglu.
Nemulțumit de cei 2.6 milioane de lei pe care Ministerul Tineretului și Sportului îi propune Federației, Pisaroglu este de părere că rugbyul este desconsiderat la nivelul Guvernului și că nicio constrângere bugetară nu poate justifica amputarea atât de drastică a finanțării.

so this ProSport article says the FRR's new budget is 500K Euros - is this the entire budget or just the part that comes from MTS?

probably 500k more from sponsors. I don't know, there were cuts last year as well due to pandemic

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Fri, 19 Mar 2021, 16:35

tryman wrote:Can someone please tell me who owns Arcul de Triumf? I thought FFR owned the stadium and had offices in the stadium or nearby.

By the sounds of things the FFR budget is being squeezed by the Romanian Government because of the issue with the stadium.

What is the big issue, do the football association want this stadium for themselves? The photos coming out of Romania’s current training ground is shocking, how can they prepare for a massive game against Spain training on that.

I think this has been discussed here before... short story:
FRR did not own the stadium before, the ownership it's with the municipality i think.
But it was given (2002) through a Government Oficial decision to the FRR to administrate free of charge for 49 years. As a result the FRR had already investit money in the location and had a project going to rebuild this stadion from early 2000's. This place was the home of Romanian Rugby for over 100 years... managed to weather 2 wars and a comunist regime in the meantime!
During UEFA 2020 (now 2021) qualification process, the FRR was asked and agreed to put the stadion in the project - it was asked by the Fotball Federation FRF - as we were looking to be one of the host nations.
They agreed but in order for that to happen FRR had to pass the asset to the National Agency for development.
Guvernmental legal assurances were drawn and a protocol established as to what happens when project was finished.
Go forward 4-5 years and the current guvernment, through the responsible Minister decided to change the purpose of this asset. The Ministry seems to no longer want to grant free use or priority of the new stadion to FRR. They will need to compete for availability with other sports and footbal it's likely the only discipline that could afford such rents. The rest of the capacity hotel, function rooms, bars, restaurants probably leased to become a profit source to the Ministry (this last sentence it's just a 'salty' a comment!... we don't know what is to come from this development)

Note: just seen that amz posted something simillar in a different thread

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 22 Mar 2021, 14:39

Team for Georgia match

Props:
Pristăviță Constantin (CSM Știința Baia Mare)
Savin Alexandru (CSA Steaua)
Balan Vasile (CSA Steaua)
Burțilă Costel (Hyères-Carqueiranne-La Crau)
Țăruș Alexandru (Zebre Rugby)

Hookers:
Căpățînă Eugen (SCM Timișoara)
Butnariu Tudor (CSA Steaua)
Cojocaru Ovidiu (CSM Știința Baia Mare)

Locks:
Johannes van Heerden (CS Dinamo)
Moțoc Adrian (RC Massy)
Marius Iftimiciuc (Perigueux)
Antonescu Marius (Boug-en-Bress)

Backrow:
Neculau Vlad (SCM Timișoara)
Boboc Cristi (ACS Tomitanii Constanța)
Gorcioaia Andrei (Bayonne)
Kamil Sobota (CSA Steaua)
Florian Roșu (CSM Știința Baia Mare)
Cristi Chirica (Sporting Club Appameen)

Scrum-half:
Rupanu Gabriel (SCM Timișoara)
Surugiu Florin (CSA Steaua)
Țiglă Alexandru (CSM Stiinta Baia Mare)

Fly-half:
Boldor Tudor (CSA Steaua)
Plai Daniel (CSA Steaua)

Centers:
Vlaicu Florin (CSA Steaua)
Bucur Alexandru (CSM Știința Baia Mare)
Popa Vlăduț (CSA Steaua)

Wings:
Shennan Stephen (SCM Timișoara)
Dumitru Ionuț (CSA Steaua)
Onuțu Nicolas (CS Vienne)
Iliuță Cosmin (CSA Steaua)

Fullbacks:
Melinte Ionel (SCM Timișoara)
Popoaia Paul (CSM Știința Baia Mare)

Iliuta and Rusu in while Gordas, Muresan, Stratila, Fercu out, possible because small injuries

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Wed, 24 Mar 2021, 16:00

Lots of names that are missing - injuries or other reasons. Some of the guys, at the fringes of this team, I hope they get a call at least to see if they can be counted on in the future.
Ionel Badiu(31yrs), Iulian Hartig(23), Alex Gordas(26), Ioan Tomascu(29), Cosmin Manole(25), Ionut Muresan(27), Stefan Iancu(23)
Mihai Macovei(35), Vlad Nistor(27), Razvan Ilisescu(27), Dragos Ser(22), Damian Stratila(24), Marius Simionescu(24), Catalin Fercu(35),
Vladut Zaharia(27), Tudorel Bratu(30), Tangimana Fonovai(32), Moa Maliepo(25)...probably you can add the youngsters Taylor Gontineac (21) and Virgil Ghenea (20)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Bogdan_DC » Wed, 24 Mar 2021, 16:23

dans wrote:Lots of names that are missing - injuries or other reasons. Some of the guys, at the fringes of this team, I hope they get a call at least to see if they can be counted on in the future.
Ionel Badiu(31yrs), Iulian Hartig(23), Alex Gordas(26), Ioan Tomascu(29), Cosmin Manole(25), Ionut Muresan(27), Stefan Iancu(23)
Mihai Macovei(35), Vlad Nistor(27), Razvan Ilisescu(27), Dragos Ser(22), Damian Stratila(24), Marius Simionescu(24), Catalin Fercu(35),
Vladut Zaharia(27), Tudorel Bratu(30), Tangimana Fonovai(32), Moa Maliepo(25)...probably you can add the youngsters Taylor Gontineac (21) and Virgil Ghenea (20)

Badiu, Macovei, Ser, Muresan,Gordas,Stratila, Fercu where in the squad in this campaign and some get injured later (Ser, Badiu, Mac)
Simionescu, Zaharia, Tangimana are injured.

Postby Raven » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 13:32

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but what's the story with Atila Septar? could he be picked for Romania or is he 100% captured and committed to France?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 25 Mar 2021, 13:46

He is captured by France. Attempts were made to capture him through 7s route but he was undecided and eventually didn't happened.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 11:26

https://www.facebook.com/rugbyromania/v ... 843429621/
Oaks squad for match vs Georgia

1. Savin
2. Cojocaru
3. Tarus
4. Antonescu
5. Motoc
6. Chirica
7. Boboc - debut
8. Gorin
9. Surugiu
10. Plai
11. Onutu
12. Boldor
13. Bucur
14. Dumitru
15. Melinte

16. Capatana
17. Pristavita
18. Burtila
19. Iftimicuic
20. Van heerden
21. Rupanu
22. Vlaicu
23. Popoaia

Very interesting setup, glad to see Bucur back and Boboc starting.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Fri, 26 Mar 2021, 13:50

...and the story of stadium starting to become known abroad. we could use some shares to make the minister of sports a "celebrity" ;)

https://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/detail_a ... d=10726386

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 01 Apr 2021, 10:57

In a public statement about Arcul de Triumf stadium, Mr. Petrache, president of FRR revealed the tests to be played by Oaks in 2021:

July: Belgium, Scotland, Japan
November: Uruguay, Samoa, Tonga -> probably a mini-Nations Cup with matches between Tonga and Uruguay confirmed, probably Samoa as well

He also mentioned the will to organize U20 World Cup in 2022

https://www.eurosport.ro/rugby/situatia ... Hg3JbPDxgc

not a 1st April joke

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby mmoae » Thu, 01 Apr 2021, 11:14

Are these tests in any way confirmed (looks great in principle) or are they just potential opponents at this stage and he is trying to put pressure on the Ministry? I know that he mentioned Japan and Scotland as potential match-ups for 2021 before (at that time I understood it would be one or the other) but nothing is set in stone yet I thought.

Normally I understood that the necessary approvals for the stadium to function should be completed by end of next month, so theoretically there shouldn't be an issue with any of these dates (or the 2022 U20) if (and this is a big if) the Ministry at least keeps its word regarding giving rugby priority there (while waiting for this sad saga to resolve itself).

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Thu, 01 Apr 2021, 11:31

I heard from all tests, except Japan, from other sources so I think they're confirmed.

The saga of the stadium will continue as long as the thick-head Novak is minister of sports/youth, he entered in an confrontational stance with FRR and he won't change it, he's stubborn and not very smart; he is in conflict with Cycling Federation as well (where he was president) and others federations expressed concerns about the actual direction, hinting even to a joint protest of more sports federations.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby mmoae » Thu, 01 Apr 2021, 15:49

This saga is for sure ridiculous The new minister is basically treating sport like an accounting exercise in my view. He looks at Hungary as an example (ignoring Romanian sporting traditions or interests) and has this bureaucratic view of how can we maximise number of Olympic medals. Now ... apart from wether his strategy will actually yield more medals (given wider societal changes), it's also misled. I am happy when Romania wins a medal at the Olympics, sure. But you can't compare that with doing well in a sport (like Rugby) that's watched by hundreds of millions around the world and forms generations of players (at all levels) in the spirit of teamwork and fair-play values. Or you can compare but then you would have to conclude that the latter needs more investments to thrive, and rightly so.

In any case, apart from the merits (or lack thereof) of his strategy, there is a basic moral issue regarding the promises made by the government to the Romanian Rugby Federation. Everyone knew that the stadium would revert back to Rugby after the Euro but now they are basically trying to take it from the sport. and for what? How the hell will it help Romanian sport in general to allow FCSB to play Voluntari on that stadium? Bucharest is full of football pitches, there was just one good Rugby one and they are trying to steal it. It's genuinely outrageous.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby dans » Thu, 01 Apr 2021, 18:23

Don't know what to make of Mr Petrache and the FRR vice-presidents applying for the open job advert as the Ministry administrator to run Arcul de Triumf complex, under Novak.!!!...are they real:) nice media stunt...it sounds like there is no way back to a comon ground.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 01 Apr 2021, 21:26

I guess FRR can't afford not to apply. What if the process goes on, they give it to FCSB and under the appearance of FRR having given up it takes decades to retake control over Arcul de Triumf on courts?

And if you are really hosting these test matches, FRR can't tell World Rugby that it hasn't got a proper stadium to please them. As big of an asshole the minister is, you have no choice other than finding a rather peaceful solution.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 03 Apr 2021, 08:00

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Mon, 05 Apr 2021, 09:44

Armchair Fan wrote:I guess FRR can't afford not to apply. What if the process goes on, they give it to FCSB and under the appearance of FRR having given up it takes decades to retake control over Arcul de Triumf on courts?

And if you are really hosting these test matches, FRR can't tell World Rugby that it hasn't got a proper stadium to please them. As big of an asshole the minister is, you have no choice other than finding a rather peaceful solution.

I think is more of a media stunt, minister is looking for a natural person to be employed as manager of the stadium, not a company of an NGO as FRR. It doesn't look like minister is opened to any discussion. FRR wanted to have a discussion with him from months already and he refused on various reasons. The clerks from minister are either back by PNL (EPP party) or taken over from previous governments, a type of survivors through various government without much spine and probably they have their own plans and interest to hire in the new stadium people they know.

About FCSB, his owner Becali made a statement some weeks ago that they won't play there because there are some "problems" without developing further.

mmoae wrote:This saga is for sure ridiculous The new minister is basically treating sport like an accounting exercise in my view. He looks at Hungary as an example (ignoring Romanian sporting traditions or interests) and has this bureaucratic view of how can we maximise number of Olympic medals. Now ... apart from wether his strategy will actually yield more medals (given wider societal changes), it's also misled. I am happy when Romania wins a medal at the Olympics, sure. But you can't compare that with doing well in a sport (like Rugby) that's watched by hundreds of millions around the world and forms generations of players (at all levels) in the spirit of teamwork and fair-play values. Or you can compare but then you would have to conclude that the latter needs more investments to thrive, and rightly so.

In any case, apart from the merits (or lack thereof) of his strategy, there is a basic moral issue regarding the promises made by the government to the Romanian Rugby Federation. Everyone knew that the stadium would revert back to Rugby after the Euro but now they are basically trying to take it from the sport. and for what? How the hell will it help Romanian sport in general to allow FCSB to play Voluntari on that stadium? Bucharest is full of football pitches, there was just one good Rugby one and they are trying to steal it. It's genuinely outrageous.

He's a populist like his idol, Orban Viktor, he's doing a lot for his image and little work for actual sports. He is bragging about translating Hungarian sports strategy to apply here but this is just a media stunt as well as he have to make structural changes within legal frame which would imply more ministers like Justice, Finance, Work. He didn't say a thing so far about how to implement such wide reform.

Besides, the Hungarian approach (whatever this is, I didn't understood from him) looks to be inefficient from results pov. At 2016 Olympics Hungary won 15 medals which is less than 2012 London Olympics' 18 medals. The disciplines are about the same, water sports where Hungary was traditionally strong with an occasional success in individual sports (judo, fencing). That is more than Romania and indeed there was more interest for individual sports but not at the cost of team sports or those sports which do not make it to the Olympics (one of his arguments against rugby). Mind, Romania didn't had some top athletes going to Rio Olympics like Simona Halep

But overall the Hungarian team sports, except traditional strong disciplines (water polo, women handball, ice hockey) are not in a good shape. The football showed some glimpses of reality but at the recent U21 Euro they lost all matches with a total of 2-11 goals...while Romanian "unfunded" (from Hungarian pov) football draw with Germany and Netherlands and won vs Hungary.

Meanwhile he is going to various city halls from counties with Hungarian majority and inaugurates various sports facilities that will be used by local authorities for local teams, which massively contradicts its position regarding the Arc Stadium. There is an obvious conflict in its tendency to centralize control over this stadium and the official policy of the party that supported it for the post of minister (the party of the Hungarian minority in Romania) that wants decentralization.

His dislike for rugby is obvious and I don't think he'll back down. I have some hopes for the evaluation of the activity after 6 months of each minister, announced by the current head of the Government. Novak should not normally pass this assessment. In a few months, with an impeccable image as a Paralympic champion, he managed to antagonize most sports federations, cut the funding of many sports without any explanation and raising some others as well without any reason.

For example handball lost 1/4 compared with last year, rugby 1/3 and I think table tennis with 1/3 which is also a noteworthy federation with some success especially at European level. Furthermore he cut budgets of Olympics federations such as athletics (also having a court case with ministry for its traditional field) or wrestling. Note that men XV rugby is the best ranked Romanian men team sport! Meanwhile we see double budgets for kenpo, taekwondo (no one qualified for Tokyo), mountaineering and climbing (non-Olympic as well), cricket (!! non existent in Romania outside a small group of expats and their friends) and others.

here is an article with a list:
https://www.gsp.ro/gsp-ro/gsp-special/m ... 27216.html

His last deed of bravery was to annul the elections of Cycling Federation (where he was President until he was appointed minister of sports) because the list of voting clubs was not updated last year, which was his administration's job. This was probably because his favorite ehir lost the elections.

About Ministry of Youth and Sports, I think it is one of the most ineffectual administrative bodies in Romania and until it will be reformed we won't see anything good coming from there.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby Stefan Petrescu » Wed, 07 Apr 2021, 16:53

I know I have already posted this but I might as well repost it since most people haven`t seen it. Here are the situations regarding team budgets for the teams in the CEC Bank SuperLiga:

Steaua -
https://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-3/buget- ... 23355.html
On this link, you can see that Steaua`s rugby section has a budget of 925,000 Euros (a similar budget to the football team in the third league of Romanian football).

Timisoara -
https://www.opiniatimisoarei.ro/handbal ... 23/01/2021
On this link, you can see that Timisoara have a budget of 4.5 million Lei or 914,000 Euros and it seems that Timisoara have sorted out their finanical issues even stating that their players get payed every month!

Baia Mare -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9&start=650
I have searched every where for Baia Mare`s budget, but I only found the budget for 2015 which was stated 6 years ago on this thread, which was approximately 600,000 Euros. I assume that this budget has increased to at least 800,000 Euros or more.

Constanta -
http://www.primaria-constanta.ro/docs/d ... f?sfvrsn=2
On this link, you can see that the City of Constanta has allocated 1 million Lei or 100,000 Euros, the average budget of a DNS (the Second league of Romania) team, hence why they are not participating in this years Romanian Cup.

Dinamo -
The budget for Dinamo Rugby is literally a military secret as I literally cannot find anything at all relating to their budget. All that I can assume is that Dinamo have at least 400,000 Euros give or take 100,000 Euros since they have nearly double the amount of players compared to Tomitanii.

Cluj -
The budget for Cluj is also a mystery, but we can assume that it is somewhere around Constanta`s budget.

So, that is 3 teams with a budget of approximately 1 million euros and 3 teams with budgets around 100,000 - 400,000 Euros. But, there are some free agents that left Steaua recently such as Eduard Bencea, Alexandru Porojan, Sabin Strătilă, Dennis Perju, Marcel Rusu, Rareș Ciudin, Nika Pataraya and Ellias Morisio who may be willing to accept a smaller salary so these transfers could actually help Cluj, Constanta and Dinamo.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum