Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Small news

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Small news

Postby Canalina » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 14:51

I suppose that pink was too few bellicose and masculine for the flags creators

Someone tried to add pink to the UK flag with a petition on change.org, but unfortunately without success :)
https://assets.change.org/photos/5/xz/h ... 1564441984

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 14:58

Do you accept the flag from my hometown?

As a small anecdote, basketball is big here. Club is owned by a bank who intended to become basically both the main Andalucia bank and basketball club. They erased purple for over a decade, so to have only green and white (Andalucia colors), pissing off locals. They brought back purple a few years ago and it was an immediate popular success.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 15:31

Nice flag. I like the two people praying, the castle, the sea, the purple&green repeated viceversa in the coat.
And purple&green is certainly an unusual pair of colors for a flag

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 15:55

The Iroquois nation (Indigenous Americans), from Northeast USA and Eastern Canada, famous for Lacrosse, have a purple flag:
They have their own Lacrosse national team, that plays the Lacrosse World Cup.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 17 Jul 2020, 15:58

Canalina wrote:Curiously basically no one country in the World chose pink or violet for the national flag
Out of 197 official nations, these are the times the colors recur in the flags

RED 153 *
WHITE 142 **
BLUE/AZURE 103 *
GREEN 97 **
YELLOW 96 *
BLACK 52 **
GOLD 12
ORANGE 11 **
BROWN 7
GREY 3
PINK 1 o 2
MAROON 1
VIOLET 1 **

* primary color
** secondary color

Pink appears just in the lion into the coat-of-arms of the Spain flag and maybe in the cactus flowers in the Mexico flag
Violet appears just in the chest plumage of the parrot in the Dominica flag
The maroon is instead a main part in the Qatar flag

The Seychelles have all the five most used colors in the flag

Central African Republic too

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 15:32

I was a bit jealous about Canalina maps ... so i've done mine :D
Here is a map of french bred players who played in Top 14 last seasons, showing their first clubs. That's thanks to those clubs they could join regional/big clubs academies, and then become who they are today ... and it's showing you how rugby is split in France.
You can find players who started in New Caledonia, and those from Wallis & Futuna (unfortunately I didn't find their club, but it seems there are only one "official" field per island, so ...).

Unfortunately, I'm missing a few guys. Some are young guys (Zarantonello, Treilles, Yameogo, Rolland, Beaudon, Dridi, Cramont, Idjellidaine); but some have more experience (Briatte, Mousset, Duputs, Fourcade, Moïse, Vernet). If any of you have more information on where they started ... :)

So enjoy ! (you can make a search with a player name too)

Colour code : green : 1 player in Top 14 / yellow : 2 to 4 / red : 5 and more
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 20:33

Vino 93 :
It is a very interesting map. I was checking the list of teams in Federale tournaments, which is impressive by the quantity and the diversity of cities represented.

I have a question : ¿Why is Professional Rugby in France so concentrated in the South west of the country?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 20:59

Very good question ! A bit unknown I guess. Rugby arrived first in Le Havre then in Paris, and quickly Bordeaux has been a strong club thanks to the English community there. I guess the local successes helped to develop the game locally.
But why hasn't it develop as strong in the north ? Don't know...

But now, as you can see, you have rugby fields in every small towns and big villages. That's of course not the case in the north, so you have a big gap. Even if it has changed since a decade or two.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 Jul 2020, 21:17

Historian Phillippe Dine in "French Rugby Football: A Cultural History" talks about this. He draws a relation between different physical education movements in France in Late 19th/Early 20th century and rugby vs soccer enthusiasm https://books.google.com.br/books/about ... edir_esc=y

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 25 Jul 2020, 21:17

I've seen this image on Yukon Rugby Federation facebook (Yukon is a canadian region) and those flags attired my attention, so I checked the appurtenance of them all. Rugby in Greenland? Between Sami people? In Inuit nation? It would have been nice, but it's not the case. The flags are there for the Arctic Games 2020 (eventually cancelled due to epidemic) and unfortunately rugby is not part of the Games.
The hosting city of this edition should have been Whitehorse, capitol city of Yukon; it has 25k inhabitants and the whole Yukon has 38k inhabitants, so in the enormous territory north of Whitehorse you find just 13k people. And anyway there's a rugby federation also in Yukon... https://www.facebook.com/YukonRugby

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 28 Jul 2020, 20:35

Tokyo 2020 rugby 7s Mario game

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 06:50

Canalina wrote:Tokyo 2020 rugby 7s Mario game

Looks like they completely rebuild the engine for this version. If I recall that right the game for the last Olympics had the "camera"-position in the back of the player.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 29 Jul 2020, 07:08

It doesn't seem to me so funny to play, but I'm not used to play with the "modern" games

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 16:03

I'm not sure what thread this should be under. Exeter Chiefs have sacked their mascot Big Chief. He is no longer politically correct.

https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/clu ... 8vyKfiTNjw

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 16:54

He is no longer politically correct.

He never was. And Exeter only adopted the Native American symbols in the professional era. The club has nothing to lose in changing it. It was just a marketing/branding choice based on the tradition of South-West clubs to call their 1st XVs "Chiefs". "Chief" doesn't mean "native american", it can be anything tribal. The logical thing would be to keep "Chiefs" as name and change the indian by an anglo-saxon/celtic chief.

First lesson about marketing is to avoid unecessary controversy. The club is being dumb to keep the badge as this subject will keep returning.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 17:04

victorsra wrote:
He is no longer politically correct.

He never was. And Exeter only adopted the Native American symbols in the past 20 years. The club has nothing to lose in changing it. It was just a marketing/branding choice based on the tradition of South-West clubs to call their 1st XVs "Chiefs". "Chief" doesn't mean "native american", it can be anything tribal. The logical thing would be to keep "Chiefs" as name and change the indian by a anglo-saxon/celtic chief.

First lesson about marketing is to avoid unecessary controversy. The club is being dumb to keep the badge as this subject will keep returning.

I take your point. But I don't think the Exeter Chiefs should be culturally appropriating Anglo-Saxon or Celtic culture. Those peoples exist only is the past and as LP Hartley wrote "the past is a foreign country". My main issue with the Exeter Chiefs is their tomahawk chop theme song sounds pretty cool, until you hear the Kansas City Chiefs fans singing it. I think it it's fair to say Exeter Chiefs have appropriated from an American sports team rather than from Native Americans. To any Americans the Exeter Chiefs crowd probably sounds pretty feeble.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 17:13

Having a History degree, I can tell you "Cultural Appropriation" is a pretty false concept. All cultures take things from other cultures. The past is different but it is also dead and the English people are the biggest tributaries of Anglo-Saxon culture. Devon is the cultural product of centuries of Romans, Celts, Anglo-Saxons, Normans fusion, they can with no problems use anything from those cultures. The Native Americans are not dead and, therefore, the club is only atracting unecessary controversy.

It doesn't matter the conclusion if it is disrespectful or not. It is a silly decision to keep a symbol that is just a marketing/brandiing almost random choice. Native American symbols are used by Exeter Chiefs during only the last 20 out of the 150 years old of history. Very unwise marketing to keep them.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 17:30

BTW, I don't know why rugby must follow this idea of fantasy names, common in the English-speaking world. The Irish and the French are right. Just call yourself Leinster, Toulouse, Clermont, etc. Geography. Much better. And focus on rugby. Soccer shows the way.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 17:34

victorsra wrote:BTW, I don't know why rugby must follow this idea of fantasy names, common in the English-speaking world. The Irish and the French are right. Just call yourself Leinster, Toulouse, Clermont, etc. Geography. Much better. And focus on rugby.

That's what my team, Bath, does. But if they do want an badass ancient tribe to name themselves after, I think they should be Exeter Spartans. No one will be offended by that. And they can rename Sandy Hill, "Sparta". Their fans would enjoy shouting "This is Sparta!"

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 17:44

It's hard to say where's the right point in these controversies: the native americans could rightly tell that the Exeter logo is a bit a stereotype, the Exeter club could rightly say that it's just a logo with no offense at all intended. The logo seems not disrespectful to me, it's a serious and noble indian chief profile. It has also to be said that that sort of indian chief profile was longtime used (if I'm not wrong) in US advertising (like for a cigars brand) and maybe the native americans see it like repetitive and a bit humiliating.
On the other hand I think that if a native american enterprise or sport club chose "Spaghetti" or "The pizzas" or "Giulio Cesare" as nickname, no one here in Italy would protest.
With the same criteria we could say that "Harlequins" (Arlecchino was a popular character of the street comedy in Northern Italy) or "Barbarians" are disrespectful.
Anyway, at the end of the story, the Exeter club just dropped the mascot and not the logo and it seems an harmful decision (apart from the person into the mascot puppet...)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 17:48

Bath is cool. Gloucester too. I don't know why Bristol wanted to add "Bears". Maybe just to be different from Bristol City. But with the club doing well, nobody cares if it is Bears, Dogs, Lions, Spartans or whatever. Of course mascots are important for marketing and match day experience, but when your official name is basicaly geography or a neutral thing (like Harlequins, Racing, Scarlets) you have room to create new things or endorse supporters choices, for exemple, and make harmless changes if necessary.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 17:58

Canalina wrote:It's hard to say where's the right point in these controversies: the native americans could rightly tell that the Exeter logo is a bit a stereotype, the Exeter club could rightly say that it's just a logo with no offense at all intended. The logo seems not disrespectful to me, it's a serious and noble indian chief profile. It has also to be said that that sort of indian chief profile was longtime used (if I'm not wrong) in US advertising (like for a cigars brand) and maybe the native americans see it like repetitive and a bit humiliating.
On the other hand I think that if a native american enterprise or sport club chose "Spaghetti" or "The pizzas" or "Giulio Cesare" as nickname, no one here in Italy would protest.
With the same criteria we could say that "Harlequins" (Arlecchino was a popular character of the street comedy in Northern Italy) or "Barbarians" are disrespectful.
Anyway, at the end of the story, the Exeter club just dropped the mascot and not the logo and it seems an harmful decision (apart from the person into the mascot puppet...)

Cultural appopriation is a tricky false concept, as I said. Music, Sports, Food, we all adopt things from other cultures. And we transform them into new things as well. Pizza in the Americas is basicaly a different thing. South Americans transformed british football in futsal. And so on and on.

The question about name and symbols is if they mean or suggest harmful things to others, basicaly. What realy matters in sports is to basicaly get away from controversy. You gain nothing from keeping a name that can drive away some supporters or sponsors, or attract constant non-sport related discussions.

Why Harlequins and Barbarians would be disrespectful if they only could harm the ones that chose those names? Self harm is not an issue :lol:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 18:22

I preferred Bristol Shoguns to Bristol Bears, but that was just a sponsorship name. Bristol are probably relieved they don't have a sort of medieval Japanese mascot now.
Gloucester changed their badge and not for the better. Their new badge is pretty dull.
Devon doesn't have an obvious animal to use as a mascot. Exeter was the the site of a Roman garrison so they could name themselves Exeter Legionaries. The Devon coat of arms has a leg lion, a Devonshire Bull, a sea lion and a Dartmoor Pony. I think a pony is the best option. But they shouldn't call themselves Exeter Ponies. How about Exeter Mustangs?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 18:26

An hypothetical "Eastern people anti-diffamation league" could say that "Barbarians" is an offensive name, because it renovates the stereotype of the people from eastern Europe and middle Asia as rude, violent and obtuse (it seems that the latine name "Barbar" intended referring to the unintelligible language of those people, like a rude babbling "bar bar bar"); if we wanted to be petty I don't think it's much different from a politically incorrect nickname like "redskin".
And in Italy we have a famigerate association called Codacons (committee for the defense of the consumers) that sues almost everyone; several years ago they sued even Schumacher because he voluntarily let Barrichello surpassing him, this affecting the people who bet on the race. I'm pretty sure that if they were aware of the existence of the Harlequins they at least would make a drooling thought about suing them...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 18:29

Chester-Donnelly wrote:I preferred Bristol Shoguns to Bristol Bears, but that was just a sponsorship name. Bristol are probably relieved they don't have a sort of medieval Japanese mascot now.
Gloucester changed their badge and not for the better. Their new badge is pretty dull.
Devon doesn't have an obvious animal to use as a mascot. Exeter was the the site of a Roman garrison so they could name themselves Exeter Legionaries. The Devon coat of arms has a leg lion, a Devonshire Bull, a sea lion and a Dartmoor Pony. I think a pony is the best option. But they shouldn't call themselves Exeter Ponies. How about Exeter Mustangs?

They could call Mustangs the first team, "Colts" the under teams, "Ponies" the kids and "Mares" (I've checked google translate) the women team :)

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum