Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Small news

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Small news

Postby Figaro » Tue, 04 Aug 2020, 07:43

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
No one knows what the language of the Picts was, but it may have been similar to the language of the Brythonic Britons in occupied Briton, without the Latin. It is also not know to what extent were Germanic languages spoken in Roman Britain. Parts of Southern Britain was ruled by the Belgie before the Romans invaded, and there could have been significant numbers of settled Angles, Saxons etc. in eastern Britain. No one knows what were the dominant languages in eastern Britain when the Romans arrived in Britain, or when they left. Local spoken languages were not written so it is impossible to know.

The scholarly consensus about England is that they did indeed speak a language related to Welsh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Brittonic

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby Loohr » Thu, 13 Aug 2020, 16:08

Last week, Tallinn Kalev open first dedicated rugby field in Estonia. It will also become home field of Estonia national team.

https://sport.err.ee/1121994/tallinnas- ... bistaadion

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 15 Aug 2020, 06:25

After the Russian (+ Belarusian) championship, the Latvian one, the Lithuanian one, the Finnic (+ Estonian) one and the Polish one, in the next two weeks also the Czech championship (aug 22) and the Ukrainian championship (aug 29) will start. Here is the location of the clubs competing in the main category, 8 clubs in the czech "1. Liga Ragby" and 6 clubs in the ukrainian main level.
As for Poland, it could be noted that several clubs are based in the main cities, at the opposite of how it happens in Italy and maybe also in France where rugby is mostly based in medium-little towns. Four of the eight best czech clubs are based in Prague and one in Brno (the other teams are Ricany, Prelouc and Vyskov). In Ukraine five of the six main teams are in Odessa (2), Kiev, Kharkiv and Lviv and just the sixth one is from a less known city (Chmelnichky or something like that...)

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby vino_93 » Sat, 15 Aug 2020, 08:13

Canalina wrote:After the Russian (+ Belarusian) championship, the Latvian one, the Lithuanian one, the Finnic (+ Estonian) one and the Polish one, in the next two weeks also the Czech championship (aug 22) and the Ukrainian championship (aug 29) will start. Here is the location of the clubs competing in the main category, 8 clubs in the czech "1. Liga Ragby" and 6 clubs in the ukrainian main level.
As for Poland, it could be noted that several clubs are based in the main cities, at the opposite of how it happens in Italy and maybe also in France where rugby is mostly based in medium-little towns. Four of the eight best czech clubs are based in Prague and one in Brno (the other teams are Ricany, Prelouc and Vyskov). In Ukraine five of the six main teams are in Odessa (2), Kiev, Kharkiv and Lviv and just the sixth one is from a less known city (Chmelnichky or something like that...)

For France, you're wrong. Rugby isn't specially in medium/small or big cities. It's geographically located. Bordeaux, Toulouse, Paris, Toulon, Montpellier, Lyon... Are all in the 15 biggest cities of the country. (And Grenoble is 16th)
And in the developing areas, you have clubs from big cities too (Nantes, Lille (ok in Marcq, but that's suburb), comeback of Nice, Rennes, ...).

You have mid sized and small cities too because it's heavily popular in South West. But slowly the small cities downgrade to fed 1 or Fed 2, letting only mid sized cities, mostly in Pro D2. A few resist in top 14 thanks to big partners, but how long can they do that ?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 15 Aug 2020, 09:04

In Italy the main 14 teams (Celtic+Top12) are from...

Rome (Lazio), the capitol and biggest city
Rome (Fiamme Oro), but Fiamme Oro are the state Police club, so we could say that they don't belong to any specific city
Florence (Medicei), but they're very close to withdraw from the incoming season of the Top12 due to lack of funds
Padua (Petrarca); a middle-big city
Parma (Zebre): mid size city
Treviso (Benetton): mid size city
Reggio Emilia (Valorugby): mid size city
Piacenza (Lyons): mid size city
Rovigo: middle-little city
San Donà: provincial town, near Venice (they are said to be at risk of withdraw too)
Mogliano: provincial town, near Treviso, 27K inhabitants
Viadana: provincial town, near Mantua, 20K inhabitants
Colorno: provincial town, near Parma, 9K inhabitants
Calvisano: provincial town, near Brescia, 9K inhabitants

No one from Milan, Naples, Turin, Genoa, Bologna, Bari or Palermo, id est the biggest cities after Rome

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby Loohr » Sat, 15 Aug 2020, 11:19

Until the end of august, national championship from all scandinavian countries will start.

On 22/08 in Norway, with 5 teams (Sagene IF Rugby, Stavanger RK, Bergen RK, Blindern RK, Trondheim RK)
On 22/08 in Sweden, with 4 teams (Stockholm Exiles, Enköping RK, Hammarby IF, NRK Trojan (from Norrkoping))
On 29/08 in Denmark, with 5 teams (CSR/Nanok, RK Speed, Frederiksberg RK, DTU Exiles, Aarhus RK)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 16 Aug 2020, 17:18

Again a map about a national championship. Turkey: in the main (and only?) category six of the eight clubs are from Istanbul or Ankara. No one from the eastern part of the country: the proximity of Georgia seems reverberating no influence.
The championship appears to be dedicated to Naim Süleymanoğlu, a legendary weightlifter died three years ago

http://www.trf.gov.tr/uploads/Dokumanla ... durumu.pdf

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 17 Aug 2020, 16:20

Chile Rugby organized a concurs for kids under the age of 12 years, entitled "Draw for your team!"
The kid author of the best draw was awarded with a rugby ball and the jersey of the Chile national team, the school of that kid received nine balls (of three different sizes) and a touch rugby kit.
I think it's a good idea. Maybe not super-original but efficacious on linking those kids to rugby.
The winner was an eight years old girl, Emilia Zapata, with her draw of Ranita Handoff ("rana" means "frog")

Here there are some other draws, between the more than 50 sent to Chile Rugby https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0689872550

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 17 Aug 2020, 16:37

Canalina wrote:Again a map about a national championship. Turkey: in the main (and only?) category six of the eight clubs are from Istanbul or Ankara. No one from the eastern part of the country: the proximity of Georgia seems reverberating no influence.
The championship appears to be dedicated to Naim Süleymanoğlu, a legendary weightlifter died three years ago

http://www.trf.gov.tr/uploads/Dokumanla ... durumu.pdf

I'd expect clubs near Georgia, but let's remember, even if there are clubs there, the distances are big for extremely amateur clubs. Istanbul-Ankara is already 450km.... Edirne-Ankara 690km...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 17 Aug 2020, 19:43

Loohr wrote:Until the end of august, national championship from all scandinavian countries will start.

On 22/08 in Norway, with 5 teams (Sagene IF Rugby, Stavanger RK, Bergen RK, Blindern RK, Trondheim RK)
On 22/08 in Sweden, with 4 teams (Stockholm Exiles, Enköping RK, Hammarby IF, NRK Trojan (from Norrkoping))
On 29/08 in Denmark, with 5 teams (CSR/Nanok, RK Speed, Frederiksberg RK, DTU Exiles, Aarhus RK)

A map also for this (then stop, I promise)
Out of 21 top clubs (seven clubs take part to the Finnish/Estonian championship), eleven are based in the capitol cities.
Trondheim should be the most northern european club taking part in a top league, unless there's a sort of national championship in Iceland

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 17 Aug 2020, 20:40

Canalina wrote:Chile Rugby organized a concurs for kids under the age of 12 years, entitled "Draw for your team!"
The kid author of the best draw was awarded with a rugby ball and the jersey of the Chile national team, the school of that kid received nine balls (of three different sizes) and a touch rugby kit.
I think it's a good idea. Maybe not super-original but efficacious on linking those kids to rugby.
The winner was an eight years old girl, Emilia Zapata, with her draw of Ranita Handoff ("rana" means "frog")

Here there are some other draws, between the more than 50 sent to Chile Rugby https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 0689872550

Ranita Handoff in a Bath Rugby kit :D

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 17 Aug 2020, 20:45

Canalina wrote:In Italy the main 14 teams (Celtic+Top12) are from...

Rome (Lazio), the capitol and biggest city
Rome (Fiamme Oro), but Fiamme Oro are the state Police club, so we could say that they don't belong to any specific city
Florence (Medicei), but they're very close to withdraw from the incoming season of the Top12 due to lack of funds
Padua (Petrarca); a middle-big city
Parma (Zebre): mid size city
Treviso (Benetton): mid size city
Reggio Emilia (Valorugby): mid size city
Piacenza (Lyons): mid size city
Rovigo: middle-little city
San Donà: provincial town, near Venice (they are said to be at risk of withdraw too)
Mogliano: provincial town, near Treviso, 27K inhabitants
Viadana: provincial town, near Mantua, 20K inhabitants
Colorno: provincial town, near Parma, 9K inhabitants
Calvisano: provincial town, near Brescia, 9K inhabitants

No one from Milan, Naples, Turin, Genoa, Bologna, Bari or Palermo, id est the biggest cities after Rome

In the Top 12 the better teams are the provincial town teams. Is a provincial town team like Calvisano seen has representing the province or region? Can Calvisano ever attract enough support from the surrounding region to be a Pro 14 team?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 06:01

Surely Calvisano represents its province, id est the populous and rich (and very hit by the pandemic) province of Brescia; I doubt instead that it may represent its region, Lombardy. As I said in the past, we in Italy are used to feel quite pride for our city and for our province, but much less for our region (also because it contains our neighbor rival cities!).
I live in a province bordering the Zebre's one and here almost nobody feels the Zebre as "our" team. Zebre are perceived in part like a Parma's team and in part like a Federation's team; people from my city go to see them because it's an occasion to see big stranger clubs and because Zebre are however an italian team, not because they are the team of the North-West.
About Calvisano, Lombardy is the richest and most populated (10 millions inhabitants) of the italian regions, so the contest is favorable; but, as I said, I think it would be hard to attract to Calvisano fans from Milan or other Lombardy's cities. Anyway the biggest problem for a third franchise seems the scarcity of high level italian players, so at the moment Italy can't have three european franchises. Would Calvisano be a better option than Parma for the Zebre? Maybe, or maybe not, I don't know

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby andyrobnev » Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 10:08

I visited Calvisano last November for a European cup game, and while I was really impressed with their facilities (Especially for a semi-pro team) I don’t think the fan base would be larger there than it is in Parma. Official attendance said there were 2,000 fans (seemed about right) but at least a third were away fans. Saw a few people with other Top12 team gear on (Viadana) so I’m guessing at least some fans from surrounding areas came down to watch. Calvisano itself is a very small place, and while it seems quite well connected I think it just makes sense to have any future Pro14 teams in the major urban areas (Milan and Rome would be my choices) and to just leave the Top12 teams as they are.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Tue, 18 Aug 2020, 10:21

andyrobnev wrote:I visited Calvisano last November for a European cup game, and while I was really impressed with their facilities (Especially for a semi-pro team) I don’t think the fan base would be larger there than it is in Parma. Official attendance said there were 2,000 fans (seemed about right) but at least a third were away fans. Saw a few people with other Top12 team gear on (Viadana) so I’m guessing at least some fans from surrounding areas came down to watch. Calvisano itself is a very small place, and while it seems quite well connected I think it just makes sense to have any future Pro14 teams in the major urban areas (Milan and Rome would be my choices) and to just leave the Top12 teams as they are.

Sounds like Rugby Calvisano are where they're supposed to be, at the top of the semi pro game, like Cardiff RFC or Watsonians.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 12:56

ACCORDING to my LELO archive, when
SWE lost to SOV by 0:72 in Vake, Tbilisi,
they had 8-team Elite champs and
16-team regional comps (6 in North + 10 in South)

WHAT happened since then? GAME turned QUASI-PRO?

:::

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 08:24

Some spared news...

JAPAN. Ren and G, the two unusual mascots of the RWC 2019, are now also the official mascots of the JRFU. I suppose the mass of unsold Ren and G puppets on the gadgets stores could have a bit pushed the federation toward this decision, but it's anyway a nice decision. In the past months I tried to see on line if there was the chance to buy one or two puppets but they are all based in Japan and, considering also the shipping fees, they cost a bit too much.

BIRTHDAY? Today, August 24, should be the 197th anniversary of the William Webb Ellis episode, according to some sites. Anyway I don't remember any historical source indicating exactly this day (even the year was not certain...) so I suppose this is just an arbitrarily chosen birthday.

IRELAND. In the past days the Irish federation started selling the national teams shirts and quite quickly a querelle prompted, because in the on line catalogues the men shirts are presented by three national team players (I just know the name of the first of them) while the women shirts are presented by three non-playing models

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 10:10

Canalina wrote:
IRELAND. In the past days the Irish federation started selling the national teams shirts and quite quickly a querelle prompted, because in the on line catalogues the men shirts are presented by three national team players (I just know the name of the first of them) while the women shirts are presented by three non-playing models

This is fair criticism. The modelling job should have been offered to the women's national team players. Some are actually good looking. Aoife Doyle for example.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 10:32

Checking better, the polemic seems at least a bit out of target. If we control the Canterbury on line catalogue (https://www.canterbury.com/ireland-c183) we see that it's true that the brand choose an image of three national team players (all male) as general presentation, but in both the men's and women's sections the jerseys are worn by models, male and female. In the image above the three girls are taken from three different items of the women section, they are not the perfect homologue of the image of the three national team men players

By the way, remember that also saying "that player is good looking, so they could have picked her as model" is a bit discriminating

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 10:49

Canalina wrote:Checking better, the polemic seems at least a bit out of target. If we control the Canterbury on line catalogue (https://www.canterbury.com/ireland-c183) we see that it's true that the brand choose an image of three national team players (all male) as general presentation, but in both the men's and women's sections the jerseys are worn by models, male and female. In the image above the three girls are taken from three different items of the women section, they are not the perfect homologue of the image of the three national team men players

By the way, remember that also saying "that player is good looking, so they could have picked her as model" is a bit discriminating

I'm not surprised that this argument isn't being raised in good faith. Thanks for looking into it a bit deeper. I still stand by my suggestion that modelling rugby shirts could have been offered to a photogenic member of the women's rugby team. The male players used are all good looking and they are probably all well paid. Why shouldn't good looking female rugby players be given the same opportunity to earn some extra income. Or do you think women can be either models or rugby players, but not both? If a female rugby player is getting paid for modelling work, who is being discriminated against? The model who's missing out or the rugby player's plain team mate who didn't want to be a model anyway? I say, offer it to Aoife Doyle. If she doesn't want to do it get a professional model.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 11:20

My guess is, that "photoshooting duties" might already be included in the male national team player's pro contracts, while the female players are not under contract and an additional payment might have been needed.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 11:32

This sounds like an issue, but go onto the Canterbury website and it's hard to find the issue. Every section has clothes modelled by models not rugby players. Now I'm not sure if this is even real.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 12:32

Chester-Donnelly wrote:
Canalina wrote:Checking better, the polemic seems at least a bit out of target. If we control the Canterbury on line catalogue (https://www.canterbury.com/ireland-c183) we see that it's true that the brand choose an image of three national team players (all male) as general presentation, but in both the men's and women's sections the jerseys are worn by models, male and female. In the image above the three girls are taken from three different items of the women section, they are not the perfect homologue of the image of the three national team men players

I'm not surprised that this argument isn't being raised in good faith. Thanks for looking into it a bit deeper. I still stand by my suggestion that modelling rugby shirts could have been offered to a photogenic member of the women's rugby team. The male players used are all good looking and they are probably all well paid. Why shouldn't good looking female rugby players be given the same opportunity to earn some extra income. Or do you think women can be either models or rugby players, but not both? If a female rugby player is getting paid for modelling work, who is being discriminated against? The model who's missing out or the rugby player's plain team mate who didn't want to be a model anyway? I say, offer it to Aoife Doyle. If she doesn't want to do it get a professional model.

What I want to mean is that if you think that beauty is a value in this matter, so there's nothing bad on going for models; but if you think that choosing a model is myopic and unfair so the same should be applied on choosing the "more beautiful" of the team. Every player has the same value

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 12:54

I didn't know every player has the same value. I will assume you know that for a fact. This whole debate might actually be moot as the site is using models for male and female shirts. But if players are being used for promotion and sales purposes, especially for modelling clothes, it is sensible to use more photogenic individuals of both sexes.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 24 Aug 2020, 14:59

Another thing I realized: The shirt sponsors are actually different. Ireland men are sponsored by Vodafone, Ireland women by Aon. So having an Irish national player in shirt sponsored by another sponsor might be an issue.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum