Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Last countries without rugby

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Last countries without rugby

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 10 May 2020, 22:01

victorsra wrote:Yes, but Handball has following in North Africa, French and Portuguese Africa, Middle East (and forget Qatar's foreign legion, there are plenty Arabs playing), East Asia and South America's southern cone. It is true Europeans dominate the scene, but others do well. Brazil won the Women's World Championship and was a Top 10 in the last Men's World Championship, like Egypt.

And South Korea is good in men and very good in women, Tunisia reached semifinals in their World Championship... But still, there have been rumours of that kind of menace for quite some time, basically because it's not appealing to a majority of big countries, it's hard to progress, etc...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 10 May 2020, 22:22

Yes, by East Asia I meant Japan and South Korea. China is good in women's handball but terrible in the men's game. Maybe because it might be an "artificial" women's team, like in rugby sevens and field hockey. They saw an opportunity and created the team, but the sport is not widespread. I guess...

Brazil, Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Japan, Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Qatar, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia have all finished in the men's Top 16. The problem is that only Qatar (with a foreign legion), Tunisia, Egypt and South Korea achieved a Top 8. But in the women's game Brazil and South Korea are world champions, with Angola reaching the Top 8....

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:52

victorsra wrote: English is not Handball's language

DOUBT THIS >> ENGLISH IS THEIR -- IHF -- FIRST OFFICIAL LANGUAGE

GEORGIAN RULES were TRANSLATED from E (not F or D)

p 84 (LAST) >> http://biblio.qaflan.net/STAMBA/2017_XE ... TESEBI.pdf

DEAD LINK >> IHF.info/en-us/thegame/statutesandregulations.aspx?catid=5

LOOK INSTEAD >> https://www.ihf.info/regulations-docume ... the%20Game

:::

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 11 May 2020, 13:32

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:
victorsra wrote: English is not Handball's language

DOUBT THIS >> ENGLISH IS THEIR -- IHF -- FIRST OFFICIAL LANGUAGE

GEORGIAN RULES were TRANSLATED from E (not F or D)

p 84 (LAST) >> http://biblio.qaflan.net/STAMBA/2017_XE ... TESEBI.pdf

DEAD LINK >> IHF.info/en-us/thegame/statutesandregulations.aspx?catid=5

LOOK INSTEAD >> https://www.ihf.info/regulations-docume ... the%20Game

Of course, because it is an universal language. I meant English-speaking country are all horrible in handball.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2020, 13:07

Turkey, Jordan and Qatar are new WR members https://www.world.rugby/news/569246

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 14 May 2020, 13:42

I miss one member nation. They mention 127 members (full or associate) but I count 105 full members (those in the ranking) plus 21 associated members (the eighteen at the bottom of this page plus the three new entries http://www.world.rugby/member-unions).
Is there a full member nation not comprised in the ranking?

In green the full members, in orange the associated ones, in yellow the three new welcomed nations
(little nations, included Sri Lanka which isn't so little, are not reported on the map)

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Thu, 14 May 2020, 14:01

Canalina wrote:I miss one member nation. They mention 127 members (full or associate) but I count 105 full members (those in the ranking) plus 21 associated members (the eighteen at the bottom of this page plus the three new entries http://www.world.rugby/member-unions).
Is there a full member nation not comprised in the ranking?

In green the full members, in orange the associated ones, in yellow the three new welcomed nations
(little nations, included Sri Lanka which isn't so little, are not reported on the map)

Taiwan included, Jamaica included. Sri Lanka excluded :?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 14 May 2020, 14:08

There was already a map on wikipedia, I could have spared my time. Even if there are some light differences: that map includes French Guyana, Cambodia (that was expelled some years ago), doesn't include Greece (that is in the rankings, so I desume they are still full member), doesn't include Lebanon...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rug ... ciates.svg

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2020, 14:11

In fact, there is some problem with it.

There are only 102 full members listed and 18 associates + 3 new members = 123, not 127...

And there are 105 ranked teams :?

Greece, Cameroon and someoelse I cound't find is ranked but not listed as member....

What a mess....

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2020, 14:12

Great, we don't know who are the 127 countries....

Wiki map

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2020, 14:22

Found it! Nigeria is not listed in the members list but is ranked. Were they suspended at some point, right?

So, they are saying 127 members.

102 in the full members list
18 in the associate members list
3 new members
4 suspeded members = Greece, Cameroon, Nigeria.... one more, who? Cambodia or Mauritania? Cambodia isn't included anymore in Asia Rugby and Mauritania isn't anymore in Africa Rugby, but the Wiki map painted Cambodia (and Armenia, so it is wrong indeed too)
Total: 127

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2020, 14:37

I'd say Mauritania is the one missing. If I am thinking in the right way, Mauritania is like Greece and Cameroon, they were FULL members and were suspended, while Cambodia was only an associate member. This means Cambodia might have lost the status at all, while Mauritania, as they were once FULL members, still keeps the right to be admited back, like Greece? Maybe?

Also, that WR official list was updated in 2019, because Algeria is listed as member since 2019, but Nigeria's suspension was lifted in 2018 and Cameroon's suspension in 2019 and they are not back to the list https://thenrff.com/nigeria-rugby-footb ... rld-rugby/

EDIT: It looks like Cambodia was expelled and not suspended indeed. Mauritania I guess is only suspended.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 14 May 2020, 15:39

Yes, I remember quite clearly that Cambodia was expelled at some point, by now several year ago.
About Mauritania instead I remember just a pair of suspensions, so maybe they're really the missing 127th member.
Perhaps they're full member (still suspended or not I don't know) but they're not part of the ranking because they never reached the required minimum number of test matches (and who knows when they will be able to reach it?)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 14 May 2020, 15:54

There have been rumours about Morocco's suspension.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 May 2020, 17:15

Morocco is listed by WR in the 102 members.

The question is who is not listed but is a member. Greece, Nigeria and Cameroon aren't listed and paradoxicaly are ranked :roll:

Mauritania seems the only candidate for the missing spot, as Cambodia was realy ejected

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 15 May 2020, 10:39

Again the map, with some light corrections (added South Sudan and Kosovo, inserted Mauritania in orange...)
If I were a WR delegate with the task of widening the rugby panorama, I would focus on Caribbean big islands (Cuba, Haiti, Dom.Rep.), the Balkans, Indochina and maybe the Guinea Gulf nations

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Fri, 15 May 2020, 12:00

Canalina wrote:Again the map, with some light corrections (added South Sudan and Kosovo, inserted Mauritania in orange...)
If I were a WR delegate with the task of widening the rugby panorama, I would focus on Caribbean big islands (Cuba, Haiti, Dom.Rep.), the Balkans, Indochina and maybe the Guinea Gulf nations

I would focus on Central Asia and Arabian Peninsula. Kazakhstan and UAE are already developing to a decent standard. This could be a region itself along with Georgia and Russia.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 May 2020, 13:47

Well, DR Congo, Ethiopia and Egypt are countries between 80 and 100 million people... They are the biggest countries outside WR.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 May 2020, 00:00

This website is very good to do maps that include micronations: https://mapchart.net/

I did one including the countries that are members of the continental unions. As the continental unions are WR members, I would say those countries are inside the "World Rugby system" even if they aren't WR members. Makes sense?

Last edited by victorsra on Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 16 May 2020, 07:33

Nice job. World Rugby should publish sometime maps like that, in their social media. Or in their annual report

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 16 May 2020, 15:03

They could create a third kind of membership, an automatic one that recognises countries that are members of the continental federations. This would make the numbers more solid. Something like "observer member".

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Mon, 18 May 2020, 16:47

GOOD PEOPLE: Canalina | Chester-Donnelly | victorsra | Armchair Fan

Instead of playing endless Game of Guess, just write to Bill's Brothel from Dublin, and
ask for clearence -- somebody should be there in change of those membership puzzles

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 May 2020, 18:07

Yes, you are right.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 18 May 2020, 21:31

Guernsey RFC was promoted to the English National League 2, now 2 divisions below Jersey Reds. That's cool, in fact, that the Channel Islands are represented in the English system. Isle of Man also have clubs there, the best one is Douglas RUFC, in the North West 1, 2 division below Nat League 2.

I searched this because I saw interesting news that Isle of Man has now a football club (FC Isle of Man) created to represent the island in the English football system, starting in the 10th division. It would be interesting there was a whole-island representative team.

Guernsey and Jersey are already in the English football system as well. Guernsey FC plays the English 8th division and Jersey FC was promoted to the 9th division. So, both are better in rugby.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Mon, 18 May 2020, 23:52

victorsra wrote:Guernsey RFC was promoted to the English National League 2, now 2 divisions below Jersey Reds. That's cool, in fact, that the Channel Islands are represented in the English system. Isle of Man also have clubs there, the best one is Douglas RUFC, in the North West 1, 2 division below Nat League 2.

I searched this because I saw interesting news that Isle of Man has now a football club (FC Isle of Man) created to represent the island in the English football system, starting in the 10th division. It would be interesting there was a whole-island representative team.

Guernsey and Jersey are already in the English football system as well. Guernsey FC plays the English 8th division and Jersey FC was promoted to the 9th division. So, both are better in rugby.

Interestingly both channel Islands have produced an England footballer; Matt Le Tissier from Guernsey and Graham Le Saux from Jersey. I like their Norman surnames. I wonder if they can speak their Norman French dialects. It is a perculiar rule that a footballer from one of the three Crown Dependencies qualifies to play for any of the "home nations" national teams. This makes more sense for Isle of Man footballers than it does for Channel Islanders, because Isle of Man is more or less in the middle between Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum