Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Servette Genf Rugby

National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Servette Genf Rugby

Postby Figaro » Fri, 21 Aug 2020, 21:34

Yeah it's easy to get used to the echo chamber of this forum where it's just a given that you want to see the game expand and for other countries to do well. Whereas the average fan probably only really cares about their own club and Nation side - and really there's no reason why they shouldn't feel that way. It's just sport, at the end of the day, there's no moral imperative not to be ultimately selfish.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby andyrobnev » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 10:15

I think the opportunity to establish a British and Irish league has passed us by. I have absolutely no interest in the Blues (or any Welsh team) playing in an officially designated second division competition, and any B&I league wouldn’t feature 24 teams. Atm I think maybe t Scarlets would do okay in a first division B&I league, but the rest would certainly be second div. It would be great to be able to go to away days in Bristol, Bath and Gloucester regularly (they’re also great places to visit), and it would be good for attendances, but being relegated to a second tier standing just isn’t worth it IMO. Don’t think I’m the only person that shares this opinion either.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Chester-Donnelly » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 10:45

andyrobnev wrote:I think the opportunity to establish a British and Irish league has passed us by. I have absolutely no interest in the Blues (or any Welsh team) playing in an officially designated second division competition, and any B&I league wouldn’t feature 24 teams. Atm I think maybe t Scarlets would do okay in a first division B&I league, but the rest would certainly be second div. It would be great to be able to go to away days in Bristol, Bath and Gloucester regularly (they’re also great places to visit), and it would be good for attendances, but being relegated to a second tier standing just isn’t worth it IMO. Don’t think I’m the only person that shares this opinion either.

I think it would be a 24 team league, single round robin competition. Or it would have some sort of conference system.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sat, 22 Aug 2020, 12:26

Anyway, back to Servette.

Will Coronavirus have any effect on them? Politically how likely is the border shutting or quarantine being introduced between Switzerland and France?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby theDarky » Sun, 23 Aug 2020, 11:58

sk 88 wrote:Anyway, back to Servette.

Will Coronavirus have any effect on them? Politically how likely is the border shutting or quarantine being introduced between Switzerland and France?

no restrictions at the moment especially if you work in one country and live in the other ...

Nevertheless from my own experience, swiss people wear less the mask even it's riskier

so if one player in geneva is infected the club risk to lose matches

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby dropkick » Sun, 23 Aug 2020, 14:01

honestly_united wrote:
I think you get a different impression from the Welsh fans to that of Scots / Irish to the Pro 14 as apart from the blip of Scarlets a few years back, the regions are pretty much an irrelevance in the Pro 14 as they are not troubling the top half of the table. In comparison the national team has done fantastically well over the last 5-10 years, while the clubs seem to be regressing so you can see why the average rugby fan has lost interest in the Pro14, but i dont think that is a problem with the competition, more how the Welsh clubs are run. If Cardiff or Scarlets were up challenging Glasgow / Leinster / Ulster / Munster every year they would probably have a different take on the competition.

They were never interested. The pro14/celtic rugby is beneath them. Even in the ospreys glory days they complained and look where all the whinging and moaning has got them.

The scottish teams have been a big success in recent years and judging by the Italians U20 teams, they're going to be a lot better in this decade.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum