Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

South American rugby

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: South American rugby

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 22:06

Chile will host Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina for a sevens tournament in December 12th-13th. https://www.sudamerica.rugby/espanol/un ... -3?nid=549 Not confirmed if this will count as 2020 South American Sevens Championship.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Tue, 17 Nov 2020, 22:41

In the best stadium of Valparaiso, few kilometers away from Sausalito where the Sevens Challenge was played in February. Chile XV faced Romania there in 2019, it is a good venue.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 17:34

Panama is a new World Rugby associate member https://www.world.rugby/news/603777/wor ... ew-members

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 21:01

It is also a member of Sudamerica Rugby. I think the central american countries should have their own regional association, they are already 6 under the umbrella of Sudamerica Rugby. I am doubtful they will progress a lot in this condition.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 21:41

They need to be part of either Sudamerica Rugby or Rugby Americas North. World Rugby won't recognise a 3rd organization in the Americas, no sport does. But they can have a sub-union and I believe they already have an organization for the development of the region. It is MUCH better for them to be in South America and play the 2nd and 3rd divisions of the South American Championship as they already do, playing and, let's hope Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador. It is more logical than going to the Caribbean. However, the competition is frozen and Sudamerica Rugby will eventualy in the near future anounce how competition will work bellow the Americas Rugby Challenge.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 18 Nov 2020, 22:54

Very happy for Panama. They should remain part of Sudamerica Rugby they were the ones that came to Central America Assistance. they should also revive the Rugby C championship in one form or another.

geographically speaking I know it doesn't makes sense but practically they should remain.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 01:35

victorsra wrote:They need to be part of either Sudamerica Rugby or Rugby Americas North. World Rugby won't recognise a 3rd organization in the Americas, no sport does. But they can have a sub-union and I believe they already have an organization for the development of the region. It is MUCH better for them to be in South America and play the 2nd and 3rd divisions of the South American Championship as they already do, playing and, let's hope Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador. It is more logical than going to the Caribbean. However, the competition is frozen and Sudamerica Rugby will eventualy in the near future anounce how competition will work bellow the Americas Rugby Challenge.

Victor : It was frozen before the COVID 19 appeared. What did SUDAMERICA RUGBY do for those minnows plus Perú, Ecuador , Venezuela and Bolivia?

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 11:29

ficcp wrote:
victorsra wrote:They need to be part of either Sudamerica Rugby or Rugby Americas North. World Rugby won't recognise a 3rd organization in the Americas, no sport does. But they can have a sub-union and I believe they already have an organization for the development of the region. It is MUCH better for them to be in South America and play the 2nd and 3rd divisions of the South American Championship as they already do, playing and, let's hope Venezuela, Bolivia, Ecuador. It is more logical than going to the Caribbean. However, the competition is frozen and Sudamerica Rugby will eventualy in the near future anounce how competition will work bellow the Americas Rugby Challenge.

Victor : It was frozen before the COVID 19 appeared. What did SUDAMERICA RUGBY do for those minnows plus Perú, Ecuador , Venezuela and Bolivia?

It wasn't frozen prior to 2019 there was regular competition for the Minnows, as you call them. despite my criticisms of Sudamerica they have tried. the loss of Rugby C to concentrate on the top tiers was wrong. they need someone to keep an eye on developing countries.

On the Plus side pre-pandemic Peru were making strides and so was Bolivia, a big influence from Northern Argentina. The re-admittance of Nicaragua was positive moves to help their Rugby

Ecuador as we know is a basket case. self inflicted.

Venezuela if anyone ever saw them play know they were a force in the ascendance before Colombia came into their own. Domestic issues have damage them but I hope the future will be kind to them and return to the top/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 14:32

Both 2nd and 3rd division were played until 2018. They were cancelled in 2019. I know Peru decided to focus on the Pan-American Games in 2019, but that doesn't realy explain what happened to their national team. I realy want to know.

Venezuela played for the last time in 2017. They were blocked by Guatemala in 2018 (something related to visas if i'm not wrong) to play the 2nd division (that was in Guatemala) and we all know they don't have money to travel anymore.

Bolivia never played a 15-a-side South American Championship. They have played only one friendly. It is a new team.

Ecuador is suspended.

And why the Central Americans did not play 15s in 2019? I don't know.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 15:15

victorsra wrote:Both 2nd and 3rd division were played until 2018. They were cancelled in 2019. I know Peru decided to focus on the Pan-American Games in 2019, but that doesn't realy explain what happened to their national team. I realy want to know.

Venezuela played for the last time in 2017. They were blocked by Guatemala in 2018 (something related to visas if i'm not wrong) to play the 2nd division (that was in Guatemala) and we all know they don't have money to travel anymore.

Bolivia never played a 15-a-side South American Championship. They have played only one friendly. It is a new team.

Ecuador is suspended.

And why the Central Americans did not play 15s in 2019? I don't know.

That's what I mean prior to 2019. 2018 was the last full seasons.

Peru is going where they can invest and they feel rightly or wrongly is 7's based on their Panamerican game results. but never said anything public about XV Team

Bolivia is developing internally I am not worried about the national team.

Venezuela was visas blocked but the governments were bound by the OAS rulings and UN Pressure at the time.

You are right why wasn't there any games in 2019. That is my question going into 2 years and no competition.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 16:34

Well, Peru only played the women's tournament of the Pan-American Games. They were left out of the men's tournament. I think they were left in a bad position. Without Venezuela, Peru was too weak to play Paraguay and Colombia, but clearly better than Costa Rica, Guatemala... I think Sudamerica Rugby is basicaly having a break to replan the region.

I realy hope the Americas Rugby Chalenge is expanded to 5 teams including Peru (as a South-Central American champions). 2 home and 2 away matches to each team (Colombia, Mexico, Paraguay, the South-Central champions and the Caribbean champions). Peru can grow now they have a proper rugby stadium in Lima. But I'm afraid they were hit too hard by the pandemics.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 18:49

Are they still having this tournament? It sounds like they’re scrapping the Sudamérica A, B, C tourney. Technically they had it this year too with the 4 Naciones but I thought it was discussed in this sub that the ARC is replacing it.

Either way, if they can make a 3rd division of the ARC then that would be very beneficial for both the Central American countries and Caribbean countries. Seems like a win win for them because they play against opponents that are geographically pretty close. Can’t say the same for Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, etc if they are ranked higher than them though. But I’d like to see the ARCh eventually increased to 6 teams.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 19:22

Here:
Thomas wrote:
victorsra wrote:Both 2nd and 3rd division were played until 2018. They were cancelled in 2019. I know Peru decided to focus on the Pan-American Games in 2019, but that doesn't realy explain what happened to their national team. I realy want to know.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 22:01

So, in 2019 were frozen.
Why Peru did not participate in the Sevens Challenger? If they were focused on Sevens, it was an excellent opportunity to measure themselves. I doubt they progress training among local teams.
If Venezuela can not travel , why not to bring a Colombian side to tour there?For sure more than one colombian team would be interested.If Bolivia never plays an international, how can improve its level? I think there is a lot to do in South and Central America and I do not see SUDAMERICARUGBY doing too much for the minnows.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 19 Nov 2020, 22:10

Bolivia only became Sudamerica Rugby members in 2018 and that wasn't Sudamerica Rugby's fault. The problem was that the Bolivian Olympic Comitee wasn't recognising their rugby federation. In 2018 they played the South American Games (sevens) and in 2019 they played 15s against Paraguay. Things are happening there.

About Venezuela, it is the local crisis the problem. I don't have a clue about how the Venezuelan Rugby Federation is doing in terms of $. We needed to know more to judge. But they are active https://www.facebook.com/FederacionVenezolanaDeRugby/

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 20 Nov 2020, 10:01

Bolivia Olympic Committee recognised the Rugby federation when they had active and verified Rugby participation in every state in the country.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 20 Nov 2020, 19:55

Yes but the problem was exactly this. There was no rugby in Bolivian Amazon states (Pando and Beni). Those have small populations. I'd like to know how they solved this.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Tue, 24 Nov 2020, 02:00

Rugby is back to the pitch in Chile. The Santiago Association (ARUSA ) has organised a tournament for the top teams, which will consider 7 clubs. The tournament started last saturday and will last until january 7h. In a very atypical weather (late Spring and Summer) the teams are coming back to real playing after 8 month of individual training and 1 month of team training. The participant teams are U. Catolica, Country Club, Old Boys, COBS, Stade francais, Alumni and Old Reds.

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Tue, 24 Nov 2020, 02:20

SANTIAGO MASTER GAMES will take place during the second and third week of March 2021. The games are an official activity of ODESUR, organised for the first time in the region. It will consider 12 sports, 6 for individuals an 6 for teams.
Rugby will be played in the Prince of Wales Country Club in 3 different categories : Women(10 a side) 35+ yo, Men(15 a side) 40-49 yo and 50+ yo. It is a very good opportunity for Rugby legends of Southamerica to show how their skills and attitude are still there. The technical aspects of the competition will be defined and regulated by SUDAMERICARUGBY.
I expect we will have more team countries in this tournament than in the Sevens southamerican Championship.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 24 Nov 2020, 14:19

I realy think it is too early for such event. As a much more recreational thing, it doesn't make much sense to be played in a bubble...

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby ficcp » Tue, 24 Nov 2020, 19:19

I agree with you but the Government and several congresswomen and congressmen (former athletes in different sports) are strongly behind it. If the Covid vaccine is not ready by that time, it is likely to be postponed.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby tryman » Mon, 30 Nov 2020, 17:34

Agustín Creevy has been superb in the last two weeks for London Irish. By all accounts LI pay very well so I’m sure he’s getting a nice little pension top up. He should be able for another year in England than head off to Japan.

Joaquín Díaz Bonilla had an absolute shocker yesterday for Leicester. Came on as a sub and unless there are widespread injuries can’t see him getting much game time.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum